• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

so what characters can we say bye to?

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Anyone who thinks Ness is gonna leave is dumb... Just cause you suck with him doesn't meen they should take him out..

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
young link
ice climbers
game and watch
pichu

any others?
Whoa, since when are those characters out? Have you been reading 1up or something?

dantemasta said:
Zelda won't have the same moveset. I mean they are using the TP Zelda, and she has a sword. I'm sure they will get that in there some how.
Have you even played TP? The only thing she does with the sword is drop it and play "tennis" with it.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I would like to see the following characters make their exodus:

Pichu: A clone. And a crappy one at that. Damages itself. Very weak.

Mr. Game and Watch: To me, he seemed like a one time gimmick. Not very useful. His value was in "shock value" (if you can call it that), which would be negated by a return.

Dr. Mario: I think the game would be better suited dropping him in favor of Paper Mario.

Jigglypuff: Clear the way for new Pokemon. The same idea might apply to Mewtwo (even though I think he is fun)

Young Link: Replace his model with WW Link. Makes him less of a clone.

Marth: Replace with Ike.

Roy: Replace with Isaac from Golden Sun

Ness: Unless they drastically improve him (which I personally would prefer).

Personally, I hope Sheik stays. I admit it doesn't make much sense since they are going with a Twilight Princess theme for the Zelda characters and Sheik only starred in one game (and that game wasn't Twilight Princess), but she's simply too good to drop. Zelda would be "defanged" without her. This same logic applies to Falco. I am anything but a Falco fan, but I acknowledge that he is a very popular character. Getting rid of him would needlessly piss people off. The way I see it, this game can have two clones: Luigi and Falco. Both are too similar to their counterparts to have significantly different move sets, and both are necessary characters. Ganondorf must be given an original move set as well.
Marth already was replaced with Ike... Well atleast Ike is in the game... Idk if we can consider it replaced yet...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Ganondorf was FAR better than C.Falcon on my game, but if they change his movesets I wont mind.

G&W for Brawl! It's not that you think he wont be in it, it's that YOU don't WANT him in it. I don't think G&W is in much danger, seeing as though he is original.

But we all know what Sakurai is thinking right now:

"Screw the rules! I have money!"

the grim lizard

Smash Master
You people should be ashamed for posting here. We can't say "bye" to anyone yet because Sakurai hasn't said who isn't returning.

Although, Doc seems pretty certain.

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
um, Sakurai is a dude.

Y.Link will be switched with Windwaker and have a new moveset, at least new B moves.

I.C.'s not bad characters, but not worthy enough to stay

G&W kinda obnoxious and not too skilled of a fighter.

Doc. not a terrible fighter, but really never should have made it to Melee.

Sheik I honestly don't think anyone would care about Sheik staying if she wasn't so good in Melee. As a character she is sub par and I think Zelda deserves more use.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Okay , first of all i've had melle 4ever... sience like the 3d day it came out... I let lvl 9's team me on stock and i lovse mabey 2 of 5 lives... And second of all... Clones are worse then the originals... Okay yes Falco was very good but com' on Fox is truely better... I would concider them the same if falco was as fast... if falco was faster than i would say get rid of fox and keep falco.. .but i meen why do we want clones... Alls they do is take up space of other people... I meen its okay that they realease Ike... If you didnt already know... but if marth or roy comesin with the same moves it gonna be gay... IU meen its okay to like clones better.. but really we dont need technically 2 of the same characters... Does anyone know what i mean?
Time playing Melee != skill. Simply playing the game for a long time won't automatic make you good, especially with the way you talk about playing. The "skill" needed to take on three Lv. 9s against you is nowhere near remotely the same skill needed to take on a pro or other good players. So how exactly do you plan on proving that "clones" are worse then their counterparts? Now if we go by the current tier list, only Dr. Mario would be higher then his counterpart.

So you're saying if Falco was faster they should get rid of Fox? Are you even really thinking about what you're saying? Why should the main character of a series not be in, especially when every game in the series had the same main character? "Clones" are widely believed to have been put in to fill up character slots in Melee due to limited development time.

lol sakurai already said she may "put the axe to" IC and G&W
I think that's ultimate proof right there you really need to stop and think about what you're saying before you say it.

On another note, might as well throw in some random Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series quotes into this topic. I mean, what else does this topic have going for it?

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
I refuse to believe that Young Link or Ganondorf are going to be missing from Brawl until I see it with my own eyes.

Young Link is the original Link. The older Link didn't show up until OoT, so why should he be the default Link? Also, for ANYONE who has tried playing both YL and Link, you will know how so very different they play. YL is the star of one of the best series ever.

Ganondorf is the best villain of the game. Bowser is a flamer (no pun intended) compared to Ganondorf so who else takes the cake? Mew2? Of course not. The Zelda series is one of the most popular series in videogame history. Ganondorf was also in the latest Zelda game so it's not like you can use the same excuse for YL and Shiek not being in Twilight Princess. If Ganondorf is at risk of being removed then why does Bowser get an automatic spot? Doesn't make sense.

The only characters I'd definitely see as not being around anymore are...

G&W - Nobody really uses him and he's not very good at all.

Pichu - Too small and weak and it's another one most people don't use.

Mewtwo - Another horrible character that nobody uses.

Ness - They were already going to replace him in Melee, but because they were running out of production time, it was faster to just keep him than put in someone new. So I think he might be another one to go.

Roy - With the addition of Ike, I find it hard to believe that all three FE characters will be in the game and Roy is a lot less popular than Marth and also isn't top tier like Marth.

Sheik - Everyone is saying that since Zelda is now Twilight Princess Zelda, she can't switch to Sheik because Sheik isn't in that game. This makes sense and I think Sheik probably won't be in it. I strongly believe that Zero Suit Samus will have an extremely similar moveset to Sheik so they won't feel too bad cuz Sheik players can just switch to using ZS Samus. They could surprise us and just have Sheik as her own character and add in a down-B move, but I doubt it.

historyisold

Smash Rookie
I would just be down-right disappointed if G+W was taken out.
He's odd, but incredibly original.

Out with the "old and boring" and in with the "new and boring"???
The logic of cutting seldom-used characters for Brawl makes little sense.
Seeing how, if new shiny characters were added to Brawl, just like Ike, people will be more interested in playing some characters more than others.
If (and I mean if) the AC boy and girl were put in the game, then isn't there a chance they'd be ignored for the most part as well?
Where there are popular characters, there are unpopular characters.
Not everyone can be the most popular character.
And certainly not everyone likes the same things sans dislikes.

it's hyuman naycha.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Okay i am truely gonna say who the chances of characters getting the axe...

Mario: No chance in Hell
Luigi: No Chance in Hell
Pikachu: No Chance in Hell
Captain Falcon: No Chance in Hell
Donkey Kong: No Chance in Hell
Ice Climber: 1/2
Mr. Game and Watch: 1/2
Ganondorf: 1/2
Marth: 1/4
Dr. Mario: 1/8
Kirby: No Chance in Hell
Mewtwo: 7/8
Pichu: 1/8
Jigglypuff: 15/16
Roy: 1/16
Zelda: No Chance in Hell
Fox: No Chance in Hell
Yoshi: No Chance in Hell
Falco: 1/2
Young Link: 1/8
Link: No Chance in Hell
Ness: 15/16
Peach: 1/4
Samus: No Chance in Hell
Bowser: No CHance in Hell

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I've always thought Y.Link would be replaced with WW Link. I still do. Ness'll stay, they'll just add Lucas too.

Plus, they'll probably just make Mewtwo better a brawling, so therefore more people will use him as he'll kick ***!

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Okay i am truely gonna say who the chances of characters getting the axe...

Mario: No chance in Hell
Luigi: No Chance in Hell
Pikachu: No Chance in Hell
Captain Falcon: No Chance in Hell
Donkey Kong: No Chance in Hell
Ice Climber: 1/2
Mr. Game and Watch: 1/2
Ganondorf: 1/2
Marth: 1/4
Dr. Mario: 1/8
Kirby: No Chance in Hell
Mewtwo: 7/8
Pichu: 1/8
Jigglypuff: 15/16
Roy: 1/16
Zelda: No Chance in Hell
Fox: No Chance in Hell
Yoshi: No Chance in Hell
Falco: 1/2
Young Link: 1/8
Link: No Chance in Hell
Ness: 15/16
Peach: 1/4
Samus: No Chance in Hell
Bowser: No CHance in Hell
Holy crap. Did you just create some formula to get those numbers? Or did you just make them up with no hard data?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
BuSHiDo (because I'm too lazy to quote. :p)

Bowser is a lot more popular then Ganondorf. Of course Ganondorf deserves to return, but the Mario series is definitely the most popular.

Also about these claims that certain characters weren't going to return but they did because they ran out of time, I see these a lot, but I've never seen a link to where Sakurai said them. Could somebody provide me a link to where Sakurai said these things?

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Time playing Melee != skill. Simply playing the game for a long time won't automatic make you good, especially with the way you talk about playing. The "skill" needed to take on three Lv. 9s against you is nowhere near remotely the same skill needed to take on a pro or other good players. So how exactly do you plan on proving that "clones" are worse then their counterparts? Now if we go by the current tier list, only Dr. Mario would be higher then his counterpart.

So you're saying if Falco was faster they should get rid of Fox? Are you even really thinking about what you're saying? Why should the main character of a series not be in, especially when every game in the series had the same main character? "Clones" are widely believed to have been put in to fill up character slots in Melee due to limited development time.

I think that's ultimate proof right there you really need to stop and think about what you're saying before you say it.

On another note, might as well throw in some random Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series quotes into this topic. I mean, what else does this topic have going for it?
Wups... Sry I ment He, Thanks for making me feel awkward in public!!! And yes i could take on a pro... lvl 9's are east... my friend has a 2d place trophy for the game and we play all the time... i have beaten him...

Takalth

Smash Ace
Okay , first of all i've had melle 4ever... sience like the 3d day it came out... I let lvl 9's team me on stock and i lovse mabey 2 of 5 lives...
In other words, you're not familiar with competitive play. I'm not being insulting or anything, but if you get to one of the Smashboards hosted tournaments, you'll have quite a shock (it sure happened that way with me). Currently, Fox and Falco are characters #1 and #2 at tournaments.

On the other hand, I do understand where you're coming from with wanting to kill off the clones. Even if they have a vastly different playstyle, like Fox and Falco, it's still less interesting when their moves mirror each other visually. However, I think at least a couple of the clones should be de-cloned, rather than axed. Ganondorf could certainly get his entire moveset replaced, and Fox/Falco's moves came more from being invented for Smash than really being pulled out of any game, so if they can invent one space animal moveset, they can certainly invent 2 (or 3-4 depending on whether we see Wolf or Krystal).

I would have to say that Doc, Pichu, Roy, and Young Link are good candidates for the axe, though.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
In other words, you're not familiar with competitive play. I'm not being insulting or anything, but if you get to one of the Smashboards hosted tournaments, you'll have quite a shock (it sure happened that way with me). Currently, Fox and Falco are characters #1 and #2 at tournaments.

On the other hand, I do understand where you're coming from with wanting to kill off the clones. Even if they have a vastly different playstyle, like Fox and Falco, it's still less interesting when their moves mirror each other visually. However, I think at least a couple of the clones should be de-cloned, rather than axed. Ganondorf could certainly get his entire moveset replaced, and Fox/Falco's moves came more from being invented for Smash than really being pulled out of any game, so if they can invent one space animal moveset, they can certainly invent 2 (or 3-4 depending on whether we see Wolf or Krystal).

I would have to say that Doc, Pichu, Roy, and Young Link are good candidates for the axe, though.
ty for saying what i want to say.. i want some clones to get uncloned thats the word im looking for... i owe you.. And again i know falco is really good im just saying i dont get why the creators would just put in peeps with the same moves when they could put new characters... or make the de-cloned.. thats the only thing i dont like about melee, they could have put much better characters/moves in the game:)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Hey, hectichobo, did you know you can edit your posts?

Takalth

Smash Ace
Also about these claims that certain characters weren't going to return but they did because they ran out of time, I see these a lot, but I've never seen a link to where Sakurai said them. Could somebody provide me a link to where Sakurai said these things?
The official word:
"Not all characters from melee will be returning."

That's it.

A fabricated article (that was later quoted elsewhere, giving it more credibility) claimed to name three characters that were getting cut and three that were returning (I don't remember all of them, but I know that Ice Climbers were on the cut list). A few other fake or unverified sources have also made claims, but what I gave you above is the only thing we know for sure.

Wreked

Smash Lord
The official word:

That's it.

A fabricated article (that was later quoted elsewhere, giving it more credibility) claimed to name three characters that were getting cut and three that were returning (I don't remember all of them, but I know that Ice Climbers were on the cut list). A few other fake or unverified sources have also made claims, but what I gave you above is the only thing we know for sure.
I remember that. I think one of them was Pichu, and the other either Doc or G&W can't remember.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
i wonder who really is gonna be cut... i think (thinking before i speak) that Young Link, Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, Pichu, and Dr. Mario should get the "axe"

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
I do agree with Falco getting Luigify, while keeping his moves that set him apart from Fox. Heck, change the animations on those moves if needed to make them feel different.

Like I already mention, when it came to Melee, the most likely reason "clones" got in (especially with Ganondorf sharing many of Captain Falcon's moves) was because of limited development time. I wish I had solid proof at my finger tips, but I'm sure I remember how it was said how much effect it took to get the 26 characters into Melee.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The official word:

That's it.

So the only official word is "Not all characters from Melee will be returning."?

If that's so, people need to stop making claims like Ness and Jigglypuff only came back because they didn't have time. Of course the clones kind of are evidence of that, but I don't think Ness and Jigglypuff only came back because they didn't have time. I mean, Ness got two stages. It doesn't seem that he was just thrown in.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
On the thing Sakurai said about cutting characters (That i read resently on Ign.com), It only mentioned Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers. They also said they were gonna focus more on the American chacters and less on the Japenese ones. That was a hint of taking out Marth and Roy... but obiously they changed their mind beacause they added Ike today. (From Fire Emblem).

hectichobo

Smash Ace
So the only official word is "Not all characters from Melee will be returning."?

If that's so, people need to stop making claims like Ness and Jigglypuff only came back because they didn't have time. Of course the clones kind of are evidence of that, but I don't think Ness and Jigglypuff only came back because they didn't have time. I mean, Ness got two stages. It doesn't seem that he was just thrown in.
That isn't true because Ness wasn't a secret chacter... And also Jigglypuff was the first one you unlocked... (unless you first did adventure mode with Mario or did adventure mode and got a 2 in your time) They wouldn't go back that far in developement because they ran out of time. They aren't even timed on when games come out... Thats why they delay release dates in most games. And i know exactly what i'm talking about so no one tell me i dont. And btw they made clones because they couldn't think of a moveset for them. Or because their actual moves would be simalar... Sort of like Dr Mario & Falco. Also Young Link.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Maybe I'm stupid, Hectichobo but I have no clue how what you just said meant that I was wrong...

Maybe I just don't understand what you're saying... -_-

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Could you show us the exact page on IGN? Besides, I have a feeling it's not gonna be very creditable at all.
I don't entirely remember. Try searching Super Smash Bros. Brawl on their search bar. It could have been Wii Chat or Wii Talk or w/e though. if that doesn't work thry going on Google or Live Search and search: "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Cut Characters"

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm stupid, Hectichobo but I have no clue how what you just said meant that I was wrong...

Maybe I just don't understand what you're saying... -_-
i never said you were wrong... I said that thing about them adding jigglypuff and ness because of lack of developement time wasnt true -_-

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
i never said you were wrong... I said that thing about them adding jigglypuff and ness because of lack of developement time wasnt true -_-
Okay, but I also said I didn't think it was true... I think... XD

I see a lot of people making those claims and not backing them up. Well one person did back it up... using Wikipedia. -_-

hectichobo

Smash Ace
lol wikipedia i run by the people who use it.. lol it used to say that u could unlock giga bowser without an action replay

hectichobo

Smash Ace
i have an action replay... so i know what its like to play as giga bowser, master hand, crazy hand, male/female wireframe, and sandbag

Top Bottom