• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Palutena apparently has 12 unique special moves, which 4 do you hope are the default?

andimidna

Smash Master
lightweight just looks to be her running speed.
I'm pretty sure we saw her run animation on either Pyrosphere or Battlefield and she was floating/flying-- basically the same as Rosalina's.
And we saw her walk on either Skyloft or Her Temple.
If she called out 12 moves, then they announce 12 specials-- it would be an odd twist if we actually only saw 11.
But then again, Sakurai timed Rosalina's taunt in her trailer to make it look like it was her neutral special and was summoning a Luma. So I won't count this out as a possibility.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle

Given that this screenshot is the only image on Palutena's character page that actually shows her attacking instead of posing, I think it's safe to assume that Explosive Flame is one of her default specials.
If we're going off by that then I guess Heavenly Light is also a default:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I'm pretty sure we saw her run animation on either Pyrosphere or Battlefield and she was floating/flying-- basically the same as Rosalina's.
And we saw her walk on either Skyloft or Her Temple.
If she called out 12 moves, then they announce 12 specials-- it would be an odd twist if we actually only saw 11.
But then again, Sakurai timed Rosalina's taunt in her trailer to make it look like it was her neutral special and was summoning a Luma. So I won't count this out as a possibility.
i am also inclined to think that not all those moves were only special moves.
like heavenly lights looked like an up smash
the walking animations change based on how far over you point the control stick.
like pikachu does a little trot when walking at full speed, but his dash animation is more of a gallop.
palutena's max walking speed is probably her running, while her dash is her floating like rosalina.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
So many people like jump glide xD

Default is probably...

:GCU: : Jump Glide
:GCR:: Auto-Reticle
:GCD:: Reflect

:GCN:: Heavenly Light

Or something like that

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
So it looks like Explosive Flame and Heavenly Light are possibly confirmed?
Well, I guessed those would be on the default and plan to have them both on my customized Palutena, so yay :)
I'm not 100% sure on the neutral b, but I'm pretty much sure these will be her other default specials:
Side B- explosive flame
Down b- reflect
Up b- rocket jump
I think Heavenly Light would fit her best for a neutral b. but I could easily see it being auto reticle or even celestial fireworks.

But I'm going to be able to make my own Palutena, right?
So far, this is what I think I will do:
Up b- jump glide
Down b- counter
Side b- explosive flame
Neutral b- heavenly light
I like auto reticle, but these 4 I see myself using more.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
I am 100% sure that is Heavenly Light. If you watch the trailer again, you'd see it's the same exact pose.
Hmm... You're right. I just watched the video again. The pic you posted is clearly the same pose as Heavenly Light.

So, if the screenshots posted on Palutena's character page are in fact the default specials (which makes a ton of sense to me) then it looks like both Heavenly Light and Explosive Flame will be among the defaults.

It is also interesting to note that Heavenly Light and Explosive Flame are also the first 2 specials to be shown off in her reveal trailer.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Also, the fact that she uses Reflect in the anime part of her trailer may mean that we have actually known 3/4 of the specials all along!
I mean, sure, they could have easily added pictures of her custom moves to the website and had non-default moves in her anime appearance of the trailer, but it's the little amount we have to go on, so I think we should consider this likely.

At this point, I could see either Jump Glide or Rocket Jump being her recovery, the fact that they got rid of Pit's glide made me start to consider Jump Glide after I was set on expecting only Rocket Jump.
It would be more unique and more... Palutena. However, I picked the 4 specials I thought made the most sense in a moveset and I might as well stand by that after 3 are semi-confirmed

Last edited:

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
While there's nothing necessarily stopping Sakurai from trolling with custom moves in the official websites pictures, I also feel like reflects a given since it's the one thing we saw in the anime part of the trailer. Might be an oversight but meh...

That out of the way, as this kind of relates to the whole lightweight thing I'm a little confused. She's been shown walking, running (a little sluggishly for my liking) and Rosalina style floating. Uh... the walking aside, which is her run cycle? I hope we don't have to work with that slowish run...

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
i am also inclined to think that not all those moves were only special moves.
like heavenly lights looked like an up smash
the walking animations change based on how far over you point the control stick.
like pikachu does a little trot when walking at full speed, but his dash animation is more of a gallop.
palutena's max walking speed is probably her running, while her dash is her floating like rosalina.
Her Up Smash is DEFINITELY the laser pillar.

Also based on the evidence we're going off of from the screenshots and reveal trailer, her default moves may be the first specials she calls out in the trailer.

This would make her Neutral Special Heavenly Light, Side Special Explosive Flame, Up Special Warp, and Down Special Reflect.

I believe I have a pretty good idea now on where her specials go too:

Neutral: Heavenly Light, Autoreticle, Celestial Fireworks
Up: Warp, Rocket Jump, Jump Glide
Side: Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Angelic Missile
Down: Reflect, Counter, Lightweight (is probably a "buff" like Wii Fit Trainer's. This would also be why she runs in one part of the trailer and hovers in another part: Lightweight was active.)

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Her Up Smash is DEFINITELY the laser pillar.

Also based on the evidence we're going off of from the screenshots and reveal trailer, her default moves may be the first specials she calls out in the trailer.

This would make her Neutral Special Heavenly Light, Side Special Explosive Flame, Up Special Warp, and Down Special Reflect.

I believe I have a pretty good idea now on where her specials go too:

Neutral: Heavenly Light, Autoreticle, Celestial Fireworks
Up: Warp, Rocket Jump, Jump Glide
Side: Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Angelic Missile
Down: Reflect, Counter, Lightweight (is probably a "buff" like Wii Fit Trainer's. This would also be why she runs in one part of the trailer and hovers in another part: Lightweight was active.)
the laser pillar looks like an up tilt.
also there is a difference between max walking speed and dashing.
the clip of her running is probably just her walking the fastest by holding the control stick all the way where as dashing makes her float.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
So, what does Heavenly Light exactly do? I'm not familiar with the move, or the Kid Icarus series, so excuse me for that. lol

Edit - Nevermind, looked it up.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
You know how there was that thread showing how to get high def pictures of some of the characters, box art and so on well there was also a documents labeled 'FACT_SuperSmashBros_WiiU_E314_FINAL" it didn't have any 'facts' we didn't already know but one of the four pictures on the documents was Palutena.

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
Up - Jump Glide. It just looks like an AMAZING recovery to me.
Side - Lightweight. If it works anything like Uprising? Go-go, Smash Ball retrieval mode!
Neutral - Tough call. Either Celestial Firework, for combo potential, or Autoreticle for ranged attacking.
Down - Heavenly Light. Seems like a great way to rack up damage, if used properly. Plus, could also be good for Smash Ball breaking.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
so far im not to interested in palutena since i think i heard she cant be used online like mii's
...I want some of your drugs. She'll just have a default set - you can't necessarily use all of her customizable moves in for fun/for glory

At any rate, the most meaningful online experiences will be under the "with friends" category where none of this matters.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
...I want some of your drugs. She'll just have a default set - you can't necessarily use all of her customizable moves in for fun/for glory

At any rate, the most meaningful online experiences will be under the "with friends" category where none of this matters.
no need to belittle me i just think i heard that. besides did you see that up smash? it make plenty of sence she would not be used in standard play

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If Palutena wasn't going to be available for online play, I think Sakurai would have confirmed that along with the Miis. I think the reason the Miis are prohibited from online play is that, not only can their specials be altered, but their size as well--which determines their speed, weight, power, and whatnot. Whereas Palutena only has customisable special moves.

That being said, I honestly believe that, just like the rest of the cast, Palutena will have a set of default specials. The only difference being that Palutena has completely different customisable special moves instead of just modified versions of her default specials. And, in mine opinion, it would kind of be a waste of a character slot if said character was not allowed to be used online.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
If Palutena wasn't going to be available for online play, I think Sakurai would have confirmed that along with the Miis. I think the reason the Miis are prohibited from online play is that, not only can their specials be altered, but their size as well--which determines their speed, weight, power, and whatnot. Whereas Palutena only has customisable special moves.

That being said, I honestly believe that, just like the rest of the cast, Palutena will have a set of default specials. The only difference being that Palutena has completely different customisable special moves instead of just modified versions of her default specials. And, in mine opinion, it would kind of be a waste of a character slot if said character was not allowed to be used online.
just like mii's

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Uh no dude being that you've already missed the point - you can completely change a mii's weight/speed/power attributes and he's said he doesn't want people to only play characters imitating characters from licensed properties that other plays may not necessarily care about.

You really have no basis for the claims you're making - nothing makes sense and plenty of moves in Smash Bros LOOK flashy.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Uh no dude being that you've already missed the point - you can completely change a mii's weight/speed/power attributes and he's said he doesn't want people to only play characters imitating characters from licensed properties that other plays may not necessarily care about.
u dont get it he said it would be a wate of a character slot to do so. and i said like mii's make sense now? u know cause they did do that with mii's.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
who are completely customizable - weight, size, cowboy outfits the whole 9 yards. Palutena is a character from a game just like every other regular smasher but she had a quirk of a bunch of different specials to pick from with almost certainly a default set. He has specifically said that miis won't be available online, he has said nothing about Palutena, nor has he said anything about other announced playable characters other than the online footage that he's shown. You know why? BECAUSE IT'S IMPLICIT.

Honestly you can believe what you want to until the cows come home but there is still no basis for it, and this discourse is going nowhere.

Satan help me, I need a beer.

Luminario

Smash Lord
u dont get it he said it would be a wate of a character slot to do so. and i said like mii's make sense now? u know cause they did do that with mii's.
http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/howto/entry2.html
at the bottom is specifically states that Mii Fighters can't be used online. No where does it say Palutena can't be used online it only that custom moves can't be. Palutena will have default special moves to use online.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
who are completely customizable - weight, size, cowboy outfits the whole 9 yards. Palutena is a character from a game just like every other regular smasher but she had a quirk of a bunch of different specials to pick from with almost certainly a default set. He has specifically said that miis won't be available online, he has said nothing about Palutena, nor has he said anything about other announced playable characters other than the online footage that he's shown. You know why? BECAUSE IT'S IMPLICIT.

Honestly you can believe what you want to until the cows come home but there is still no basis for it, and this discourse is going nowhere.

Satan help me, I need a beer.
why bother saying any of this if you say i can believe whatever i want? by posting in the first place you contradiction your self and ur entire argument is based on nothing since i was not arguing anything in the first place.
everybody read the last sentence by @ Altais Altais and my just like mii's comment will make bloody sence.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
why bother saying any of this if you say i can believe whatever i want? by posting in the first place you contradiction your self and ur entire argument is based on nothing since i was not arguing anything in the first place.
everybody read the last sentence by @ Altais Altais and my just like mii's comment will make bloody sence.
...wot?

Regardless, click the link above you - I had forgotten about that.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
So... assuming her default move-set is the first group of special attacks here, I'm not liking her potential in the competitive metagame unless items are used. They're pretty much the most subpar options out of the whole list. smh...

I really hope the community comes to a consensus on customizing movesets, because she might be struggling otherwise...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So... assuming her default move-set is the first group of special attacks here, I'm not liking her potential in the competitive metagame unless items are used. They're pretty much the most subpar options out of the whole list. smh...

I really hope the community comes to a consensus on customizing movesets, because she might be struggling otherwise...
Well she seems very defensive, which looks pretty complimenting her playstyle (a heavy-weight Zelda? I guess.) Unless her attacks lag a lot or similar, I'm pretty sure she might prove to have interesting tricks up her sleeve (Heck, that Up-Smash, remember)

Top Bottom