• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So outta practice... hate to bother you with trivial things but...

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
I was playing brawl hardcore there for a while and of course I main Mario
Now, I've been playing and recently I've been getting my *** handed to me
by a spammy spammy wolfe, I know the pattern which he fights but it's
still hard for me to get around and it stops me all the time. :< (yuk it up,
I am ashamed lol) Is there anything you guys got that could help me out?
Of course there's cape, but I can't just play defense, he's pretty patient
and he thinks he's good, which bothers me. haha If I get in close I can
destroy him, but how do I get in?

Here's the pattern he uses if you guys wanted to know.

Pattern 1) Laser - SHL (X amount of times until bored) , Roll, Roll, Dsmash
Pattern 2) Laser - Laser - SHL, Roll (until behind opponent) Grab, Dthrow, Fair
Pattern 3) Laser - Full Hop Fair (after this he drifts back) Fsmash, Dsmash (if Fsmash is dodged)

Any pointers? Or maybe a thread you can point me to?

Veggi

Smash Champion
If he's using lasers in a predictable pattern, you can cape them. Then as long as you have less % than he does, you can just force him to approach you.

Mario's best approach options are using short hopped bairs near the top of the opponent's shield and moving away. If you land the first bair, use another aerial (uair at lower percents and nair when uair stops combo'ing.) If you aren't close enough to use those aerials just use bair again. In some stranger circumstances, you might be close enough to turn around and grab or go into an up tilt lock straight from the bair.

Dair has two different types of endings, one of them is when you land on the ground it creates a hitbox with some decent range and priority. This hitbox comes if you end the move by touching the ground. The second hitbox type is the one you should be using for approaches. If you do a short hopped dair (starting the dair right as you leave the ground) it should finish before it touches the ground and have very little lag, if they shield the whole thing either uair or nair before you touch the ground or jump away.

Shooting short hopped fireballs into the approach methods above are your best options. If he shields a lot, then do short hopped fireballs and chase after into a grab.

It sounds like he relies on roll dodges a lot (not a very good strategy unless it's on wifi.) In this case try to limit the options he has to roll dodge to, for instance, you should make it so that he is closer to the edge. Luckily for you, you should be able to just stand still and watch when he is going to roll dodge. If he roll dodges behind you fsmash backwards or just run after his roll dodges and up smash them.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
Bair approaches work sometimes, but I don't think I have enough variety in my attacks
to keep him guessing, he's figuring me out too quickly and he just readjusts and I have
to try all over again. He does roll alot and mostly I can stop it, if I can figure which of the
patterns he is using at the time. I usually use Nair for it's lingering hit box to knock him out
of the roll... or Dair because it has enough hit boxes to give me room for error even if I don't
time it right. I haven't tried to do the Utilt out yet, so that might help... any particular way
to use the cape. I don't like to stand in one spot while I'm playing so I usually SH and flash
a little yellow cloth for them, but he's been able to even predict that and he's either SH-Fairing
or doing the laser before I jump and hitting me just as the thought comes to my mind.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Don't utilt because you can't do that out of a dash and it has less range, use up smash. Doing a short hop and caping right above a person's grab range influences them to shield grab and when they do that you can punish it. If they don't shield grab it still isn't very punishable. If the cape hits them, it leaves them vulnerable as well.

If it's purely a problem with him predicting you, the best I can do is just tell you more options.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Is this wifi? Forget it if that is the case. Wolf is just stupid on wifi.

Also, don't let him roll. Rolling is massively punishable.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
People spam to much with that Fsmash....Yea its a cool move but it doesn't work all the time

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Kind of off-topic, but Xero, do you know if other MW states have a XAT chat?

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
Yea, Thanks Xero, haha, I heard you were playing Mario now, from Oreo.
What happened to you playing Marth? You just get bored or something? lol

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
Don't utilt because you can't do that out of a dash and it has less range, use up smash. Doing a short hop and caping right above a person's grab range influences them to shield grab and when they do that you can punish it. If they don't shield grab it still isn't very punishable. If the cape hits them, it leaves them vulnerable as well.

If it's purely a problem with him predicting you, the best I can do is just tell you more options.
Actually that might help. I didn't think about using cape to stay out of his
grab range and punishing him this way. He uses a lot of shield grabbing. I'm
good at staying just out of range with the bair and nair, but Sometimes I
get caught. thanks.

Top Bottom