• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So my problem is...

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I have entered around 3-5 online tournaments and I seem to have the same problem in every one. Right when I start the match I get SO nervous it ends up in costing the match...Now if someone has also encountered this problem and found out methods to calm down during the match please share because I know I am a decent player but really cant play well under pressure. Thanks

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
I have entered around 3-5 online tournaments and I seem to have the same problem in every one. Right when I start the match I get SO nervous it ends up in costing the match...Now if someone has also encountered this problem and found out methods to calm down during the match please share because I know I am a decent player but really cant play well under pressure. Thanks
Try breathing in through your nose and out your mouth. Do that slowly before the match.

I get twitchy fingers before matches so I bring one of those stress balls.

Just find what's relaxing to you.

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice
The same thing happened to me on the day smash bros brawl was released @ midnight. My heart started pumping so hard that I couldn't even finish the match. First of all the *******s at ebgames made me use a wiimote because I beat them all earlier in the day via gamecube control on melee. So they switched it, and for the life of me I could NOT deal with the controls with nunchuk/wiimote. So I died because of the controls, then when I respawned the ****er kept dodgerolling so he'd win. At this point it was almost blackout time, because I know for a fact I could have kicked that kids *** had I a gamecube control, I really felt like destroying his soul for being such a *****. Even the kids behind us waiting in the tournament were calling him a *****. But yeah, I wish I could fight that ***** again. o.o

-Ran

Smash Master
Got a question for you, played anything competitively before? I've played so many games and sports competitively that I'm no longer adversely effected by the tournament hype. In fact, I use it to fuel myself to become better.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Got a question for you, played anything competitively before? I've played so many games and sports competitively that I'm no longer adversely effected by the tournament hype. In fact, I use it to fuel myself to become better.
I played a lot of melee but never no where near a pro and never went to a tourney, these were my first tournamnts and I have another one tommorow so I sorta needed some tech to calm myself down =/

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
omg the same think happen to me cept we played best 2 of 3 the first match i got wooped in under a minute and the next match was like 5 minutes very intense we both had one stock with 120+ damage he got the hit in first tho so i lost.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I'm always uber nervous my first match. After that the nervousness is gone and I do alot better. I just need to calm down for that first match. prolly just need some warmups before the tourny.

Ph03n!x-Br

Smash Cadet
It happened to me in my first tourney, but I won (Ike in FFA lol) and in the second round I was feeling way more confident. Just play it like you would on Wi-Fi / against CPUs.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I think my real problem might be my lack of confidence because I am always switching mains...Also I do have some practice mathces and it doesnt help, maybe I am destined to be a noob ><

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
I think my real problem might be my lack of confidence because I am always switching mains...Also I do have some practice mathces and it doesnt help, maybe I am destined to be a noob ><
lol make that to then cause i have one main but can never do good

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I used to get really nervous. I just thought of the match as me playing against the computer and I calmed down. Once I won a few I didn't even have to do that.

Top Bottom