• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, I'm going to be winning Pound 4.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Of course, I'll need a partner to help share the ownage with. WHO'S WITH ME?

...I'm trying out this overconfidence thing. How was it? :bee:

(I seriously do need a partner, though)

:069:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's not nonsense. I'm being 100% serious! :mad:

Having a little more confidence than usual couldn't hurt.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
lololololol

and here i thought this was gonna be halberd or hbox or something

OverLade

Smash Hero
lololololol

and here i thought this was gonna be halberd or hbox or something
You're acting like Im cocky or something. :laugh:

Polt there's a difference between self confidence and ego.

I didn't go to gigs saying I was gonna win. I went to gigs saying "Alright, I gotta beat Seibrik, HRNUT, Xfactor, and Chaz, but I also can't underestimate players like Polt, <3, and Fearless".

Go in catiously, and do your homework. GL btw.

OverLade

Smash Hero
You play Yoshi, you're not going to win ****. Sorry.

This is a horrible lie and you know it.
Fearless took games off me in a few friendlies after our Money match. I didn't know how to play the matchup, so I was playing to learn.

And I wasnt sure how well I knew the Yoshi matchup, so I was going to go in cocky lol.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You're acting like Im cocky or something. :laugh:

Polt there's a difference between self confidence and ego.

I didn't go to gigs saying I was gonna win. I went to gigs saying "Alright, I gotta beat Seibrik, HRNUT, Xfactor, and Chaz, but I also can't underestimate players like Polt, <3, and Fearless".

Go in catiously, and do your homework. GL btw.
OK, then. *ahem*

I'm gonna beat Seibrik, Ally, and M2K.

...I dunno. There more I say it, the less confident I become. I know I have to aim high, but how high? I mean, I'm not saying that it is absolutely out of the realm of possibility, but... you know...

Hm, there is something I am missing here. Something that every other good player had. Maybe I need a teacher? I look at how other people learn by playing matches against people better than them, and the better player would comment on the mistakes the lesser player did. I believe I need someone like that.

Also, I suppose I'm on my own for finding a partner, too. Let's see, someone good that I know who is also going to Pound 4...

OverLade

Smash Hero
OK, then. *ahem*

I'm gonna beat Seibrik, Ally, and M2K.

...I dunno. There more I say it, the less confident I become. I know I have to aim high, but how high? I mean, I'm not saying that it is absolutely out of the realm of possibility, but... you know...

Hm, there is something I am missing here. Something that every other good player had. Maybe I need a teacher? I look at how other people learn by playing matches against people better than them, and the better player would comment on the mistakes the lesser player did. I believe I need someone like that.

Also, I suppose I'm on my own for finding a partner, too. Let's see, someone good that I know who is also going to Pound 4...

Mabye you need A BETTER CHARACTER? :p You have to accept that even if you are mentally on the same level as those players, their characters have the ability to limit your characters options. Yoshi has great setups out of grab releases, but a good MK can simply not get grabbed. Snake pretty much ***** Yoshi already. If you don't think they're play the matchup near perfectly then you're just underestimating them. If your character doesn't stand a chance then you're not going anywhere, and if you're trying to prove something with your character...good luck.

But you're not going to suddenly win ANY tournament just because you got up one morning saying it was gonna happen. :laugh: (plus there are a million other good people you have to worry about besides them).

<3 akilade

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Mabye you need A BETTER CHARACTER? :p You have to accept that even if you are mentally on the same level as those players, their characters have the ability to limit your characters options. Yoshi has great setups out of grab releases, but a good MK can simply not get grabbed. Snake pretty much ***** Yoshi already. If you don't think they're play the matchup near perfectly then you're just underestimating them. If your character doesn't stand a chance then you're not going anywhere, and if you're trying to prove something with your character...good luck.
I do recognize Yoshi to be a bad character, but the thing with him is... it's theoretically possible to win a tournament since he has no match-up 30:70 or worse. So, Yoshi actually DOES stand a chance against anyone, it's just that he has a harder time than many other characters.

Also, I am thinking of double-maining Yoshi and Diddy. It's going to be hard work, but I feel that that is the correct choice for me. There have been a couple of instances where I felt that switching to Diddy would have gotten me the win.

I just need someone to help me practice him.

But you're not going to suddenly win ANY tournament just because you got up one morning saying it was gonna happen. :laugh: (plus there are a million other good people you have to worry about besides them).
Well, I just realized that my current way of thinking is too humble. Like, almost as if I was putting myself down. I want to see where this new mentality will take me.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I do recognize Yoshi to be a bad character, but the thing with him is... it's theoretically possible to win a tournament since he has no match-up 30:70 or worse. So, Yoshi actually DOES stand a chance against anyone, it's just that he has a harder time than many other characters.

Also, I am thinking of double-maining Yoshi and Diddy. It's going to be hard work, but I feel that that is the correct choice for me. There have been a couple of instances where I felt that switching to Diddy would have gotten me the win.

I just need someone to help me practice him.
Theoretically and what people discuss on the character boards doesn't matter at the highest level. Within the realm of human ability (and the level at which top players play at) some matchups become closer to 80:20 simply because of the amount of reward a player is able to gain compared to other characters. Im not saying it's not possible, but the level you'd have to play at consistently isn't humanly possible.

Well, I just realized that my current way of thinking is too humble. Like, almost as if I was putting myself down. I want to see where this new mentality will take me.

You should change up your mentality but that doesnt mean going to every tournament saying you're going to win because that's setting yourself up for failure, which will simply upset you. Accept that you're not going to win with certain characters and you can't get good with any character over night. If you honestly want to get good with Diddy you have to make a commitment, and have as much experience as people you plan to beat. And even then you can still get outplayed. So factorwise, JUST expecting to win doesn't work like that.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, I guess you are right. My mentality just goes from one extreme to the other. I need to find the perfect balance between them...

So, instead of "I WILL win" or "hopefully I will win..." how about this: "I can win."

Thanks, RedHalberd.

Top Bottom