• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

so im addicted to video games, specially super smash bros melee.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
If it doesn't maliciously impact or interfere with your life, it's not an addiction, moreso a passion or obsession.

If you're literally taking time away from taking care of your girlfriend and general personal problems, let alone academia, then it's an addiction and then you need to think about how you can step back and handle it.

In my opinion, it's not a bad sign if you think about the game outside of playing it. Your mind has to be thinking of something, right? Why not something you enjoy playing? I don't see that as negative by any means (unless all you're thinking about is how ****ing gay Peach vs Jiggs is or other thoughts that spoil your mood/make you rage).

Ultimately, don't work your schedule around Smash, work Smash around your schedule.

And if you say Smash is your schedule, then you, sir, have an addiction.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
People throw around the word "addiction" too much. Unless you feel mentally/physically dependent on it, it's not an addiction, it's poor time management.

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
well i went to mexico on saturday to play smash and my girlfriend left me and shes pregnant with my kid, which really sucks cuz thats the only thing that hurts the most but its watever. ill be cutting down on smash alot from now on. i do have an addiction and im just going to exhibit more self control and focus on other priorities.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I think about Melee almost 24/7. From the instant I wake up until I fall asleep, and sometimes I even dream about Melee.

However, I still live a pretty normal life and keep up with all of my responsibilities. If I get the opportinity to, I can play Melee for hours and hours and never get tired. However, I don't think it's unhealthy lol. I see it as having a hobby. Just like someone who plays football or a musical instrument thinks about their hobby all the time. I don't see being a competitive gamer as anything different. It's what we all love to do, and what we're here for.

:phone:
Yeah this.

I mean, growing up in the scene I see no problem with thinking about Melee often, even occasionally deciding to not play.

There is a line that others have remarked about between just having a hobby and not being able to control your life. I'm not a posterchild for the latter, but this whole thread stems from something that is more of a personal problem for the OP. More than simply using Melee as an escape and an excuse.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
well i went to mexico on saturday to play smash and my girlfriend left me and shes pregnant with my kid, which really sucks cuz thats the only thing that hurts the most but its watever. ill be cutting down on smash alot from now on. i do have an addiction and im just going to exhibit more self control and focus on other priorities.
I'm sorry :/ that's horrible

:phone:

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. If you're like me, even if you stop playing Melee for a very long time, you'll still think about it.

I find worse than playing the game though is watching videos of it on Youtube. You can lose yourself in the game even as just a spectator, not playing anyone, not even having the game.

I moved to another country a few years ago, and it's in a part of the world where people don't play the game. Most of the other foreigners are either too young, or too old, to have much experience with the game, so there is no one to play with even if you wanted to. So you gotta recruit them.

I call it the Melee cult-building process. If you have no one to play the game with, tell them stories about the game. Talk about players to people, even make up lies about them (I used to tell people Mew2King went around biting people at tournaments because of extremely severe autism). Then train their sorry noob asses into liking the game. Gradually introduce the mechanics to them. Let them play the new 20xx AI, which gives a more simulated feel of the real thing (even though it often feels like the 20XX CPU is throwing the match for you by letting you gimp it so easily).

I often fantasize about creating a different version of the game and releasing it into the market here. It would be nearly identical, but de-Nintendoized. I imagine a story about invading space aliens that resemble animals and the humans that have to fight them, plus other weird **** that is a lot cooler than Kirby. Basically get these people hooked on the game too, and make it easier to do online matches, with global ranking systems. This would also give people an incentive to get really good with worse characters, because then you could say "That person is the best Mr. Game and Watch in the world." (*cough* I mean The Horrific Being from Another Dimension that kills humans and the space animals at random *cough*) and it would actually mean something.

Last edited:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Never felt addicted to Melee. I prefer Smash 64 anyway, and even then, I can put it down whenever, and be fine.

World Of Warcraft? Completely different story. I don't play anymore, but I literally was going 16-18 hours a day, every single day, for 5 years straight. I made serious errors because of this game, in terms of what direction I wanted my life to go in.

You just need an escape sometimes, you know? My life hasn't been very kind to me for many years now.

russmig_TheLuigiMain

Smash Rookie
Everyone tells me I'm addicted to smash since I can play hours on end and won't ever get tired of it. Honestly, I'm sick of people telling me that but I'm starting to realize that I may have a problem. Its all I think about sometimes. What do you guys think on this topic?
As long as you do necessary stuff as sleep and dat kind of things...

Top Bottom