• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

so im addicted to video games, specially super smash bros melee.

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Everyone tells me I'm addicted to smash since I can play hours on end and won't ever get tired of it. Honestly, I'm sick of people telling me that but I'm starting to realize that I may have a problem. Its all I think about sometimes. What do you guys think on this topic?

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Is it affecting your ability to live life (go to school/work, socialize with other people, losing sleep, not eating)?

If you find that you are staying up for 40 hours playing this game, skipping meals and not going to work because you like it so much, then yes you do have a problem.

But if you are just playing this a lot in your spare time, then you just like this game a lot. I think everyone here plays smash for a long period of time whenever they play.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I wouln't worry about it. I just had a dream about apex or something similar lol. Im not.addd dicted

:phone:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Being able to play for hours =/= addiction

Being unable to stop yourself from playing, even when it has a negative impact on your life = addiction

But even with this definition I might be addicted to Smash 64 online anyways lol

dkuo

Smash Lord
i was definitely addicted for a while during college junior year...in the fullest sense ~_~

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Yeah like my first semester of college I didn't do any school work cuz I just wanted to play melee with my friends. Quite simply I didn't give a **** about school so I didn't go to my classes. And now I have my gf pregnant and she gets mad when I go play melee with my friends. She says I should quit since I have a kid coming and that I'm addicted to melee so she hates the game.

Edit: I only play melee when I can. I used to play every day for like 5 hours practicing tech skill and such but as of lately I just touch it every now and then. This is definitely my favorite game of all time tho lol

NNID
dansalvato
It sounds like it might not be Melee itself that's the problem but just the general negligence of responsibility. "Not giving a **** about school" isn't really something on which you can blame Melee. I feel you probably need to readjust your priorities in general.

Massive

Smash Champion
It's not high school dude, you or someone you know is paying a large amount of money in order for you to go to college. All you're doing is wasting money and time by not taking advantage of it.

Massive

Smash Champion
Highschool isn't exactly free either.
It's funded by the taxpayer (public schools in the US, anyway), you basically only pay for food and supplies. College/University in the US is paid for completely out of pocket, minus any money saved from grants, scholarships, or deferred by loans.

High school is an order of magnitude cheaper than College. You can slack off in high school and you're only wasting a few pennies from your parent's (and everyone else's) paycheck; you slack off in college you're wasting money you either earned, received, or borrowed against your future.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Yeah like my first semester of college I didn't do any school work cuz I just wanted to play melee with my friends. Quite simply I didn't give a **** about school so I didn't go to my classes.
I know how you feel yo.

It sounds like it might not be Melee itself that's the problem but just the general negligence of responsibility. "Not giving a **** about school" isn't really something on which you can blame Melee. I feel you probably need to readjust your priorities in general.
but this turned out to be more correct (at least for me)

Melee in a way, helped give me an excuse to why I jeopardized my future. However, I think it's perfectly doable to find a balance between melee/leisure and taking care of your real life responsibilities.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
High school is an order of magnitude cheaper than College. You can slack off in high school and you're only wasting a few pennies from your parent's (and everyone else's) paycheck; you slack off in college you're wasting money you either earned, received, or borrowed against your future.
I think this might be the sunk cost fallacy. But I'm just guessing.

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah like my first semester of college I didn't do any school work cuz I just wanted to play melee with my friends. Quite simply I didn't give a **** about school so I didn't go to my classes. And now I have my gf pregnant and she gets mad when I go play melee with my friends. She says I should quit since I have a kid coming and that I'm addicted to melee so she hates the game.

Edit: I only play melee when I can. I used to play every day for like 5 hours practicing tech skill and such but as of lately I just touch it every now and then. This is definitely my favorite game of all time tho lol
lol i think ur addicted

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
lol everybody here has an unhealthy smash addiction tbh

We're on a message board to discuss the game ffs

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
You may need a break so you can get your life together.
I would advise to quit the game and the boards altogether for a month or two.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I remember from that "10,000 Words of Power" thread that it only takes like 15 minutes a day to get really good in the long run. If you're just practicing for tournaments, than that's a reasonable limit for practicing. Otherwise, while I only play while I have time, there are bound to be thousands of Smash addicts on a site like this.

There's a thing called playing too much, however. You will probably need to take several breaks if you plan on playing for hours so you can at least attend to your real life responsibilities.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Yea you should quit the game for a month or 2. Also don't do anything stupid like sell a kidney for Melee, if you do then you need to quit forever. Otherwise quitting for a month or 2 should do the trick I think. You'll still probably be addicted, but you should learn to do other things other than Melee within those 2 months. Try go fishing, it may seem boring, but it usually helps clear your mind and it's relaxing.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Yea you should quit the game for a month or 2. Also don't do anything stupid like sell a kidney for Melee, if you do then you need to quit forever. Otherwise quitting for a month or 2 should do the trick I think. You'll still probably be addicted, but you should learn to do other things other than Melee within those 2 months. Try go fishing, it may seem boring, but it usually helps clear your mind and it's relaxing.
Just throwing my penny in for your suggestion, but isn't 2 months a little long? Taking a hiatus from a game isn't a bad idea at all, but won't it lead someone to returning to the same addiction after that long break? Once a smoker quits smoking, it's easy to get addicted again if they're reintroduced. Of course, there's unless they quit forever, like what you said.

Idk, but it seems like just taking a few moderate breaks of a couple hours every so often seems more reasonable.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
he's gotta learn to manage his life without smash.
once he thinks its under control, he can start playing again in moderate amounts...
the key is self control....

The Star King

Smash Hero
You guys are looking at it the wrong way. Really, most of us have an unhealthy addiction to life. We focus on it to the point where it's starting to negatively impact our Smash.

I propose a support group be formed without delay.

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I suck at having self control. Sometimes I really just want to quit and some other days I just want to play smash all day.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
click this

Your college probably has a counseling center which can help. I urge you to go and speak to someone if you're unable to manage your responsibilities. Don't hesitate on this, it's low pressure and usually inexpensive.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You guys are looking at it the wrong way. Really, most of us have an unhealthy addiction to life. We focus on it to the point where it's starting to negatively impact our Smash.

I propose a support group be formed without delay.
You and I are the lucky ones, SK. We've stayed clean so far, but ****.

LazynProud

Smash Rookie
Everyone tells me I'm addicted to smash since I can play hours on end and won't ever get tired of it. Honestly, I'm sick of people telling me that but I'm starting to realize that I may have a problem. Its all I think about sometimes. What do you guys think on this topic?
When I was younger and still in school Melee would plague every corner of my mind, every hour of the day. I was always a kid with an active imagination and melee had never done this to me until I had seen the competitive side of it. I would think about the game first thing when I woke up, when I was showering, while I was in school and when I was out with my friends. Hell, I thought about the game while I was playing it. To some that might sound silly, but my mind was literally forming Marth combos, tech skill and players while my hands were playing Falcon or Link. All in all, I probably owe all of my skill to that thinking and effort that my brain was putting into the game without my fingers doing any of the work. I've never had tournament experience like most players and I would generally just leech skill from my friends, but without that almost obsessive thinking, I would never have been able to progress to the level of play I've reached today. To answer your question, yes. You and everyone in the community who plays are addicted to smash. However, your addiction is not unhealthy and therefore doesn't require a remedy. Except for maybe a healthy dose of smash now and then. Keep that spirit burning!

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Damn you guys are acting like videogame addiction is like a drug addiction. Talking about him relapsing? lmao

also, thinking bout the game a lot when you aren't playing it isn't a sign of addiction, if it's a part of your life and you play a lot of course you're gonna think about it often. A good sign, however, is that your gf hates the game bc of how much you play it, and you don't stop.

To that guy that posted before me, shut up please. Smash isn't everything to some people, and it's hurting other aspects of his life. You shouldn't be encouraging him to play more just bc you have no problem with your life revolving around it.

LazynProud

Smash Rookie
Damn you guys are acting like videogame addiction is like a drug addiction. Talking about him relapsing? lmao

also, thinking bout the game a lot when you aren't playing it isn't a sign of addiction, if it's a part of your life and you play a lot of course you're gonna think about it often. A good sign, however, is that your gf hates the game bc of how much you play it, and you don't stop.

To that guy that posted before me, shut up please. Smash isn't everything to some people, and it's hurting other aspects of his life. You shouldn't be encouraging him to play more just bc you have no problem with your life revolving around it.

I'm thinking that you may have misunderstood what I was trying to get at, but you're entitled to your own opinion and I respect it.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I think about Melee almost 24/7. From the instant I wake up until I fall asleep, and sometimes I even dream about Melee.

However, I still live a pretty normal life and keep up with all of my responsibilities. If I get the opportinity to, I can play Melee for hours and hours and never get tired. However, I don't think it's unhealthy lol. I see it as having a hobby. Just like someone who plays football or a musical instrument thinks about their hobby all the time. I don't see being a competitive gamer as anything different. It's what we all love to do, and what we're here for.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
AXE 09 said:
I still live a pretty normal life and keep up with all of my responsibilities.
this is the difference between you and the OP

Top Bottom