• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I went back and played Melee today

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Taht video posted of Scar's combo was epic..

Good times, Falcon was glorious back then. Still -can- be epic, but no more triple knees lol.

Great memories, but I love everything else Brawl has brought, so I won't be seriously playing Melee.
I thought that at first too but I can't help but go back to Melee more and more. I love the physics, I love the hitstun, I love the EVERYTHING. Too bad Brawl dominates in terms of graphics, stages, music, and etc.

TL_Axis

Smash Rookie
Yea, i just decided that im going to keep trying to l cancel in brawl just so my fingers stay used to it for melee, even though it doesnt work. hahaha.

dont want to go back and be really bad, because at this point i can still do everything just fine.

AREL0E

Smash Apprentice
Well, the knee was my favorite in brawl. But I've mained Falcon since 64 so those uair combos, were always with me. I was okay at melee, and decent in brawl, CF despite his MANY MANY MANY faults, I will still main. Come on who else can run over 2 children with a car, then Flex his body during a dair.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
what the hell did this guy above just write??
anyways, i went back to melee yesterday, and i was still able to do everything except my mind couldnt process how fast falcon was. i was trying to do combos but my fingers wouldnt let me do them. i was still good tho. brawl sucks. even scar says it.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
what the hell did this guy above just write??
anyways, i went back to melee yesterday, and i was still able to do everything except my mind couldnt process how fast falcon was. i was trying to do combos but my fingers wouldnt let me do them. i was still good tho. brawl sucks. even scar says it.
I don't think it sucks, but the gameplay is definitely not as good. The stages, music, and extras kill Melee though. Seriously there are only a few Melee stages that I really enjoy playing on, but in Brawl there are a bunch that I really like.

Melee:

Jungle Japes (Dair for the win. That alone makes this level a blast for me)
Final Destination (great size, great KO frame, great EDGES (screw Brawl FD edges), great stage)
Mute City (fun stage and great music)
Corneria (love the size and the wall)
Dreamland 64 (arguably the best stage ever. Would be flat out the best if not for the wind)
Fourside
Brinstar

Other than that the rest of the stages are either ok or really bad (Mushroom Kingdoms both being absolutely terrible).

Brawl:

Battlefield
Final Destination (except the edges but they're not a problem if you don't screw up)
Yoshi's Island
Pirate Ship
Delfino Plaza
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Port Town
Bridge of Eldin
Summit (is that the right name?)
Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Halberd
Mario Circuit

That's a crap load of great stages. Stuff like that keeps the game fresh and fun. Melee got stale during extended playtime because it was always the same stages over and over. With Brawl you can play a lot longer without getting stage bored.

I know that the game revolves around the gameplay but I really find the stages to be a huge plus in Brawl. Melee overall > Brawl overall though definitely.

Sparx

Smash Cadet
You see, before Brawl came out I decided to master Melee. I don't know why. I never got everything down, but I could combo with CFalcon, caped things with Doc, and got pretty good. Then Brawl said "ohai everything you know is wrong".
qft

brawl abused my mind like its little red-headed freckled stepson when it had just came home from drinking heavily.

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
somewhere far away think its called hyrule
so leads me to say, is melee better than brawl overall?in my opinion yes with a capital Y i like the quirks and glitches in melee and there just not in brawl :( also melee holds a place dear in my heart as it was the first gamecube game i got, and at the time it was all me and my friends ever played, brawl lacks this oomph in my opinion.what about you?

applejack

Smash Journeyman
One of my favorite character in Melee was Samus. I wasn't great with her, but I practiced for many hours to get competent at SWDing, and now I played Melee and could barely do one. When I played Melee against non-competitive players I would just SWD across the stage and surprise them....now I can't. :(

I also miss the speed of Melee, me and a friend of mine would be the best Smashers in our school (not saying too much) but now people can pick up Brawl in almost beat us. Melee is for competition, Brawl is mainstream (like every Nintendo game in the past two years). Though I do like all the trophies.

Top Bottom