• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I Started Playing As Sheik

Shieldkrusher

Smash Cadet
She's not too bad, though she does have some major flaws in my opinion. Flaws such as SHFFL'ng is near impossible, her fast fall isn't that fast, and her DAIR is terrible. The up-side though is she's so easy to wavedash with (easier than Roy, whom is my main)

Any tips for a newcomer to Sheik?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Her DAir isn't terrible, but it's used as a launcher. It's also one of the better attacks to SHFFL with because it sets up very nicely for a finishing aerial.

Most of Sheik's moves set up for her FAir, NAir, or BAir. In fact, as DSF showed us, you can link Airs into Airs, like a weak BAir into FAir.

Sheik's needles are useful for edgeguarding, stun-time, and have decent damage too. One needle will also cancel with any projectile in the game, including a full Samus charge shot. She has no lag from landing immediately after throwing an aerial needle, allowing one to create stun time with a close-range needle and follow up with a grab, tilt, or Smash.

Sheik's FSmash is really weak. You usually don't want to use it. Her DSmash is much more useful, in comparison.

Sheik is really good at tech-chasing from a down-throw to a grab to another down-throw. The better you can follow your opponent, the more free damage you'll rack up. You can then finish off the tech-chase with a finishing move. Sheik also chain-throws many characters up to around 60-70%, including Link, Pikachu, Pichu, Ganondorf, and Sheik. She pretty much ends a stock against Bowser if you manage to grab him, since Sheik can chaingrab Bowser from 0-90% and can also combo him from any attack to any other attack.

Windmill of Fury! lol. Not really, but do keep in mind that Sheik's Dash hitbox is where her hands are, which are behind her. This means it pretty much gets out-prioritized by everything.

Shieldkrusher

Smash Cadet
I noticed her FSmash is pretty weak, but I found it useful for juggling my opponent back and forth until they get a decent damage precentage -then I can USmash them into the air and usually finish them off with her UAIR.

I love her dash-attack, it's pretty easy to spam it LOL

Her air game is pretty sweet, I just wish her fast-fall was well....faster *shrug*

I'm sure I'll get used to her sooner or later, and if not; I'll just go back to Roy:cool:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Shieldkrusher if you can juggle your opponent back and forth with the Fsmash then Sheik is thy best character to use as they clearly don't know how to DI.

Anyways there are a few things you should never do with Sheik
1. Never use Sheiks chain it is by far her worst move even though it's fun to use
2. Never use her UpB as an attack move as its start up lag and ending is far to slow to be used effectively.
3. Don't use her DownB to change into Zelda unless you are recovering.

Oh...and if you didn't know if you hold down A before the match begins you will start as Sheik.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
The f-smash isn't that bad if you can catch your opponent off guard. I've been able to gimp Marths with it. It’s just not very practical.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
Fsmash is worthless. Even if you get lucky and hit them with it, they will just CC the 2nd hit and then you will get a smash and/or combo to the face.

Dair is amazing, especially against spacies.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
The f-smash isn't worthless. Like I said, you have to catch them off guard. They can't crouch-cancel if they're in the air.

I think the d-air is useful too. It makes for some nice set-ups at times.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
And as not to tire your hands, you don't need to hold down+A to transform as the match begins, just A.

But one important thing I could say is to work with your Needles. A lot. You need to get yourself familiar enough with the aerial trajectory of them to be able to skewer anyone recovering, which works wonders on fastfallers, and those with a lacking Up+B recovery at higher %'s.

EDIT: Another thing is to make sure to mix up your game too. Since Sheik is a very popular character in most tournament scenes and the like, most experienced players have fought many a Sheik, so try not to be too predictable.

super_nintendo

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Ankoku. Her fairs are really more useful, and just like she said, you can set up to airs in a row.

Besides that point, I personally think her fast fall is quite quick, and can be used for an up+B counter if our opponent is edgeguarding.

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Easy for someone who just started to use her to judge her, right. You can't judge a character until you play with them for at least a week or two. Anyway, Sheik is a great character with alot of potential.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Easy for someone who just started to use her to judge her, right. You can't judge a character until you play with them for at least a week or two. Anyway, Sheik is a great character with alot of potential.
....Actually compare to other characters in the game Sheik is quite limited in competitive play.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
SHFFL'd d-air isn't a bad combo starter in medium percentages. I use it to set up an easy fair, but you still need to account for DI and the relative ease of a spot dodge to grab.

Top Bottom