• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

so how you guys doing at your tournaments?

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
i've been doing pretty good i guess. i've gotten 17th out of 129, 5th out of like 16 (lol), 5th out of like 25, i got owned at my last 90+ man tourney,( it sucked).

in teams, ive gotten 4th out of 49 teams, 3rd out of 44 teams, and 5th out of like 13 teams, oh and we got 3rd out of a small beginning tourney of only like 8-9 teams lol.

i need a lot more character experience though. i ABSOLUTELY SUCK AND GET DEMOLISHED by MK. i just dont understand how kirby can beat that ish. MK seems to beat me out in every possible situation.

snakes tough cuz i die so early(deaths by utilt at like 100%), and i just dont comprehend gdub. like no matter how hard i think im gonna connect with gdub, i end up getting hit instead, lol. he has a lot of priority oh his moves. the nair really hurts kirbys dair and aerial game in general, and his bair usually disrupts all of my aerials. tough matchups.

also recently, i have been having trouble with ZSS, crazy range is making it extremely difficult to get inside.

kirbys gotta rise to the top.

-hiro

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Are you kidding? There isn't any tournaments around where I am...and I don't exactly live in the boonies, y'know... :urg:

Metaknight isn't too bad if you know how to handle him. If he runs at you, inhale him. Not even he can outprioritize that.

We just picked up a couple AT's against Snake. Check around.

And copy ZSS as soon as you can. Paralyzer + Ground Hammer = ****.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
My partner and i have been doing exceptionally well in teams, i haven't placed lower than 7th

In singles my highest finish is 7th at C3 and my lowest being 25th which was Last C3. I seriously think given Kirby's results in tourney that he should at least be high tier if not top tier

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I got 65th out of like 196 people or something at UCLA.. uhh I can't remember all of them but this weekend I got 9th out of 28 on saturday and 9th out of 25 on monday..

lol the one on monday my friend lost to the same two people as me but got 5th =/ grrr.. I lose to the same two people every tournament lol... Hugs and Blitz... both ROB players... man ROB is too good..
but supposedly some of the people I've beaten are pretty good and I always lose to the people that get like top 3 and stuff.. so hopefully sooner or later I can get a tourney win for Kirby yay XD

but I need help with ROB first =/ Zelda is probably next hardest but I am not worried about her I just need to learn her spacing O.o

Metaknight and snake aren't too bad... lol a lot of the people I practice with are metas and snakes so I am getting used to those matchups. Find some metas/snakes to practice with Hiro =P

Demised

Smash Ace
I got 65th out of like 196 people or something at UCLA.. uhh I can't remember all of them but this weekend I got 9th out of 28 on saturday and 9th out of 25 on monday..

lol the one on monday my friend lost to the same two people as me but got 5th =/ grrr.. I lose to the same two people every tournament lol... Hugs and Blitz... both ROB players... man ROB is too good..
but supposedly some of the people I've beaten are pretty good and I always lose to the people that get like top 3 and stuff.. so hopefully sooner or later I can get a tourney win for Kirby yay XD

but I need help with ROB first =/ Zelda is probably next hardest but I am not worried about her I just need to learn her spacing O.o

Metaknight and snake aren't too bad... lol a lot of the people I practice with are metas and snakes so I am getting used to those matchups. Find some metas/snakes to practice with Hiro =P
Lol. I was at UCLA to. The guy carrying around the kirby. Kirby + Forward = destruction. =)

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I remember that kirby lol... is it like a pouch or something to carry your controller? I want one XD I didn't see you play too much though o.o

I think you played a ROB but switched to metaknight... =/ thats my secondary too but I kinda want to be able to beat ROB with kirby just so I feel capable of beating every character with kirby lol...

Yea I got taken out by hugs at UCLA... grr ROB is hax lol

Demised

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I remember that kirby lol... is it like a pouch or something to carry your controller? I want one XD I didn't see you play too much though o.o

I think you played a ROB but switched to metaknight... =/ thats my secondary too but I kinda want to be able to beat ROB with kirby just so I feel capable of beating every character with kirby lol...

Yea I got taken out by hugs at UCLA... grr ROB is hax lol
Hah, I lost to a random snake(of course). Then boon or boam, the peach. Was really close.

The Kirbys actually a Neck Pillow. Its insanely comfortable =)

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
You know whats amazing? I somehow managed to not play a single snake or metaknight at that tournament lol. Which is too bad cause I have tons of practice against those two characters =/
I really hate ROB now though because like I said the same two ranked ROB players(blitz and hugs) keep beating me in every tournament I go to O.o

Where did you get the pillow from? ebay? I want to get one lol.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I have a serious question, i have a custom painted Blue Kirby controller. I was wondering how interested people would be in a controller painted to the color of their kirby.

I'll put a pic in a little bit but basically all the buttons except L, R, and Z are the color u choose, Kirby's eyes are on the left and right of the start button, and of course there is the blush.

Like i said i'll put a pic up in a sec

Demised

Smash Ace
I have a serious question, i have a custom painted Blue Kirby controller. I was wondering how interested people would be in a controller painted to the color of their kirby.

I'll put a pic in a little bit but basically all the buttons except L, R, and Z are the color u choose, Kirby's eyes are on the left and right of the start button, and of course there is the blush.

Like i said i'll put a pic up in a sec
I wanna see=).

Whats gettin ya twilight? neutrals and downsmashs? =p.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
I wanna see this controller Gonzo! ^^

Good thread hiro, i have been curious lately to know the Kirby's progress =]

i have 2 first places with kirby in my city, both were small camps, like 20 people, but that already is anything, but i live in Brazil, then this won't influence much...

EDIT: Oh, i want this controller!! xD Maybe it will help my Kirby in camps ^^

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
lol, basically what i want to know is if people r willing to buy a custom painted controller off ebay and how much they'd b willing to pay for it, u'd get to choose two colors max, then u choose button color, bottom plate color and top plate cover, then if u want an insignia u can email it to me and i'll say how much it would cost

What do uyall think??

Discounts for my Kirby brothers in arms lol

Chexr

Smash Ace
Split 1st with Darkraina at an 80 person tourney due to time. Split 1st with Tink at about a 40 man due to him wanting to. I've beaten Cosmo a couple times and I'm number one in my state which doesnt have a very good scene on the lowbie specter but I win all the local tournies.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Whats gettin ya twilight? neutrals and downsmashs? =p.
Yes, its more that they are just good players though. But the downsmash makes it REALLY easy to punish mistakes. Also ROB is annoying because I can't combo him as easy as other heavy/large characters but he still lives a long time =/

And the neutral airs can kill me if I don't keep pressuring them when fighting in the air. Also spikes are scary too O.o

I think its a combination of them being good players and ROB being good at punishing

Chexr

Smash Ace
Kirby vs Rob is a tough match up. Robs burners outclass kirby in the air and his massive recovery makes him almost ungimpable. Your best bet is to play near the ground with tilts, grabs and jabs while keeping ROB close to avoid his spacing.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
wow gonzo that controller is ****. Too bad I play a pink kirby with a black controller, that would be too much pink paint. Did that controller come as baby blue??

So anyway hiro, I've only been to one major tourney so far and placed right in the middle of a crowd around 100. The people who knocked me out were some of the top kids in the north east, and both were G&W. I went three rounds at least in both of them

-I find playing against zamus is similar to facing zelda. They have similar moves that really punish kirbys, and you have to be careful when approaching.
-Snake and ROB don't give me as much trouble because I try to play those matchups at their pace, and us usually more defensive than say metaknight
-MK and G&W are equally hard for me but I have no advise lol

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
I really wish there were tournaments around here, there's like nothing though!

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
wow gonzo that controller is ****. Too bad I play a pink kirby with a black controller, that would be too much pink paint. Did that controller come as baby blue??

So anyway hiro, I've only been to one major tourney so far and placed right in the middle of a crowd around 100. The people who knocked me out were some of the top kids in the north east, and both were G&W. I went three rounds at least in both of them

-I find playing against zamus is similar to facing zelda. They have similar moves that really punish kirbys, and you have to be careful when approaching.
-Snake and ROB don't give me as much trouble because I try to play those matchups at their pace, and us usually more defensive than say metaknight
-MK and G&W are equally hard for me but I have no advise lol

I painted it, and its not to much paint at all, i made my friend Candy one thats pink and baby blue which is really cool, but the whole thing is painted

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
And copy ZSS as soon as you can. Paralyzer + Ground Hammer = ****.
wow, sounds interesting. i've been having trouble against her lately too so i'll def try this.

GONZO, i dont see the pic of the controller!!!!!

chexr you got vids of you fighting MK

ANYBODY got vids of kirby fighting GOOD MK?!?!?

i just dont see how kirby can win. i feel so limited with kirby sometimes, but i dont like any other character. MK seems to outprioritize everything. and they are not even spammy ones who abuse tornado and up+b. they just use their crazy aerials to outdo everything i do.

-hiro

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
wow, sounds interesting. i've been having trouble against her lately too so i'll def try this.

i just dont see how kirby can win. i feel so limited with kirby sometimes, but i dont like any other character. MK seems to outprioritize everything. and they are not even spammy ones who abuse tornado and up+b. they just use their crazy aerials to outdo everything i do.

-hiro
I hope it stays up long enough for u 2 c

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace

-hiro
Seriously use Uair, and upsmash against his downair, they have more range. Also fsmash outprioritizes a lot of metas stuff. Bair works well too. Everything else avoid O.o.

Also if meta dashes at you you can counter with inhale.
You should be able to kill meta at earlier percents than you and rack up more damage in less hits. Just try to finish him at around 90%

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Basically, MK is all about patience. THere is no rush when u play him b/c u can finish him sooner than he can finish u, so basically counter to build damage and space him with ur tilts and inhale then when u c an opening use a finisher

I'm really starting to feel that DDD is to hard to beat with Kirby any suggestions for another character that could beat him

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
DDD is hard to beat a Pikachu, i think, Fthrow can give a decent percentage on DDD, but, i don't think that Kirby has much trouble against him, MK, Snake, and more some chars are harder to beat.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Gonzo I think learning the matchup first would be better than just counterpicking every time o.o play some casuals with a good DDD but yeah I can see until then that you would want to counterpick in tourneys.

I believe ness is generally good against large characters, not quite sure though I just picked him up lol XD

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
From my experience with DDD, their plan is to shield grab you. They'll try everything in the book for you to approach them. Don't fall for it, instead, spam some Up B, you'll kill their waddledees easily and he just might start to be impatient waiting for you to come. Just my 2 cents.

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
DDD doesn't have chaing grab in Kirby, he would use Ftilt to outpriorize you and your UpB's.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Uh...if it helps, Ike destroys almost every heavy character, including D3.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
So I just came from a tournament of 46 people and got 13th place, I think you were actually there h1roshi. I got my *** handed to me by a snake, which I'm sure won the tournament (I didn't stay the whole time to watch the finals).

Anyways, I literally couldn't do anything to this snake, I would try my trick where I up tilt someone, they sidestep, and do another up tilt as their sidestep animation was ending to hit them. But this snake just sidestep spammed and it would never work!

So I doubt I'll ever be good against Snake with Kirby, which leads to my question. Which character should I get really good with as a 2ndary against Snake? I was thinking maybe DDD with his longer range.

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
I think you should just stay with Zamus for Snake, he can't handle the range she's got. its anything better than the Kirby idea. Spam stuns for life!!!

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
I think you should just stay with Zamus for Snake, he can't handle the range she's got. its anything better than the Kirby idea. Spam stuns for life!!!
Zamus is pretty decent for snake, the only problem is, she's too light! I kept dying at around 95% to a simple up tilt, like ow!

DDD on the other hand is heavier so I wouldn't die as quick.

storm92

Smash Ace
Hm, I got 3rd at a tourney of 24 the other weekend.
I got knocked out by a MK too.
Tornado beats basically everything Kirby has. =(

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I think Kirby has a 40-60 match up against Snake just b/c Snake has his gay uptilt. If ur smart enough to always be aware of uptilt then u got urself an even match. The trick against snake is to space him till u get him on the edge. From there u can really start to build the damage, u can do close 60 damage while snake is on the edge, dont approach while Snake has the positional advantage mind game the Snake into coming after u. If he camps with Nades u always have down B or u can grab and throw them back

Top Bottom