• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... how about that F-Tilt?

hurricane22491

Smash Cadet
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't see or hear much about Falco's f-tilt. In most Falco videos I've seen, it's not often used, if at all. So I'd like to have a discussion of sorts about the move, including why it's not often mentioned, uses for it, etc.

Personally, I think it's a pretty good move. It works great as a poke and helps maintain space well too. At higher percentages it can knock opponents back a decent distance, instantly opening up your laser game again. Not much start-up or recovery lag on it either.

I like to tack it on at the end of a quick AAA combo because in general I find it to be a much better option than shining. For one, it has more knockback than the shine (provided that the opponent has some damage), and second, it's a lot harder to punish if they shield or if you just whiff it. Against approaching enemies, it doesn't have as much range as the reflector but again, it's also less punishable. If you know f-tilt's range well, then it can also be of great use in stopping an approach.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe f-tilt has more range than most of Falco's attacks (and a lot of other characters' attacks as well). Then, why is it not used more often? Is there a better move to use all/most of the time? Is shine more popular just because it looks cool and it goes farther, even with the much longer recovery?

That's all I can think of to say right now. I'll add more if I can think of anything, but I'd like to hear what all the other Falcos have to say.

Kurosagi

Smash Apprentice
F-Tilt => Laser Lock (80ish percentage)

I've gotten that off a couple times as well.

F-tilt is nice, but, it's also very punishable at certain ranged distances. Therefore, I really use it sparingly. Falco isn't really meant to be aggressive with pokes and such. (At least with my experience)

As for a replacement...if they're that close, I just stick with AAA, just in-case they spot dodge.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Laser lock = stalling = banned ;) (plus not worth the trouble)

I use F-tilt when ever possible.

If I cant hit my opponent with a smash, my next option will always be to Ftilt them(shine is also good but with 50% chance of tripping and fixed knock back, i rather want the larger knock back) or use it as a combo ender to quickly start another combo afterward.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Then the dude who made the rules for the tournament I'm going to must be on crack xD

(which proves how obedient I am towards rules :laugh: )

Beowulf Lee

Smash Rookie
Why is laser locking banned at your tournament? It's not even an infinite unless by the off chance that he's against a wall.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
There is also no reason to use it for stalling. In theory you could if you trap them against a wall and you are a stock ahead, but if it's not used in this way then it shouldn't get the ban.

God I swear, people should stick to the community's rules thus far as a whole. It's like people banning completely viable stages, ICs chaingrab, Marth's infinite on Lucas/Ness, etc. I even heard somewhere that Falco's CG got the ban somewhere in Florida.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
I heard some tournament Banned Wolf but left items on xD

I think I may have read the rules wrong regarding Laser Lock because it said no stalling moves and since everyone has whined about Laser lock being a staller so I assumed it to be so. I'll check with the tournament dude later.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Lol for FL it wasn't Falco's CG that got banned. Jungle Japes got banned because of the rapage Falco as with it. Their excuse was it kills people and the water messes with sweet spots, but we all know the true reason. Jungle Japes is banned but Pirate Ship is legal...go figure.

Honto-E-Lawl

Smash Journeyman
Lol for FL it wasn't Falco's CG that got banned. Jungle Japes got banned because of the rapage Falco as with it. Their excuse was it kills people and the water messes with sweet spots, but we all know the true reason. Jungle Japes is banned but Pirate Ship is legal...go figure.
what can falco do on jungle japes thats so great?....

(*doesn't play brawl very much*)

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
what can falco do on jungle japes thats so great?....

(*doesn't play brawl very much*)
He can three stock a Snake that got 2nd the previous tournament (with about 100+ people) in a minute and a few seconds. What can't he do on Jungle Japes....

But with the topic of the thread. I don't use F-tilt too much. I'll try to see how I can use it and incorporate it aside from laser lock setups.

hurricane22491

Smash Cadet
Well, stepping away from the discussion about banned tactics, it seems that no one really thinks f-tilt is bad (well, like, 4 people). So what I wonder is why nobody says "use more f-tilt". "Use more shine" is a pretty common one but f-tilt can be just as useful in many cases ('cept it doesn't reflect but whatever).

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
I would say because, when you're giving advice to someone who is asking how to improve their gameplay, you don't give them tactics that work well with practise and spacing, you give them tactics that work right off the bat.

For instance if a new player approached me, I wouldn't say "Phantasm spike more often" I'd say... like... "Spot dodge more".

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
falco's f-tilt is amazing =/ I spam it all the time lol
it's awesome for spacing and getting them the fuck off you

hurricane22491

Smash Cadet
I understand what you mean, Ratherion. But with this particular comparison, between shine and f-tilt, I would say that f-tilt is actually the easier one to use because it generally has more knockback and is harder to punish.

Maybe it's because the shine was used a lot more when people were still figuring out what to do with it. I'm not saying the shine is bad, because it's not, but f-tilt deserves more mention. I personally wouldn't hesitate to tell new Falco players to use f-tilt.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
After AAA:
Shine: more range, easily punishable, overrides any(or most) projectiles/attacks, ok kockback
F-tllt: less range, harder to punish, projectiles may stop the tilt (like a throw banana, lazars), much better knockback.

Both are quite good I'd say. Depends on the situation, and if they are DI-ing away or towards you. It is also good to mix it up a bit.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Laser Locking isn't stalling since you're still attacking your opponent and they can DI off stage to make it end quicker.

Stalling is usually when you're in a situation where you're not doing anything to your opponent but he/she can't get near you, at least not safely, therefore, the match isn't even a fight ---> stalling.

Rat

Smash Lord
I have mixed feelings on Ftilt.

It's good, but sometimes when I tap their shield with it, even spaced right, I get grabbed. Its like they grab the extended foot.

Ftilt is still good.

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
F-tilt is a very good move. It helps you work your way in so you can land grabs and short hop nairs

D

Deleted member

Yep I've done some testing and its redic. It has a bigger hitbox than GaW's Dtilt. Really good attack for shield pressure also, as it can't be shield grabbed. If they downdodge it you can do another one by the time (actually at almost the exact same time) as their downdodge frames end. If they roll dodge it behind you, just input one the other direction and you can usually hit them their too. Yea it's an all around great move of Falco's that is overlooked.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I use it to space when i can, but it's not the most super awesome attack. it's kinda like Ike's f-tilt in that it is usable and viable as a means of attacking but for the most part there are better options. F-Tilt to laser is usually pretty good, but that's all I can see it being used for.

Meh, whatever does damage, right?

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
It's an okay move to use every so often as a poke, but unfortunately I made the switch from Snake a couple of days ago. So I occasionally use certain moves as if they were Snake's moves. Which means Snake's ftilt. Which is every so slightly different from Falco's ftilt. And by slightly I mean totally different.

Top Bottom