• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... did Diddy Kong take the spot light from D.K. finally?

Just_Toms

Smash Rookie
Is it me, or does it seem like there's more fans for Diddy then there's for Donkey Kong? I don't know, maybe it's the cuteness of Diddy, or maybe it's the fact he's just has more personality than D.K.....

So what do you guys think, you think D.K. lost the spot light to his little nephew?:ohwell:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong was never a real popular character, and Nintendo themselfs are to blame for backstabbing Rare and create **** as Jungle Beat and Mario VS Donkey Kong (PAON is doing a great job on DK games though but noone cares). And even at DK's peak of populairity (the Rare era) Diddy and probably even Dixie quickly grew more popular than him cause they where both playable twice.

His 'slowness' (even though he's like.. the fastest heavy weight in Smash) clumsyness, not too many reliable moves and lack of real flashy moves in the Smash games also doesn't help his popularity either, cause most people will prefer the faster characters making people who even DO like DK not wanting to play as him.

The way I see it, is that Diddy is just more popular than DK and easier for people to like in Smash through his quick moves and other features which makes him *sign* better than DK. Sure, I love Diddy and everything (lol my username says everything) but even though I was a DK main in Melee and secundary in 64, I so far can't bear playing as DK...

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Hey, don't diss Jungle Beat. It's a good game. It's a nice platformer with very well-designed levels, gorgeous graphics, and some great music, and the bongo controls work fine.

DK has always been the least popular Smash character, really. He's fun to use, but has no cuteness or really flashy moves going for him.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK has always been the least popular Smash character, really. He's fun to use, but has no cuteness or really flashy moves going for him.
WRONG!!!

Ness has been the most unpopular

rabbitgod

Smash Rookie
I actually have never liked DK and was annoyed to hear that they would be adding another DK character to brawl. However, I love diddy, hes just really fun to play. So I think a lot of didy's popularity comes from non DK fans (based on myself as evidence exclusively lol). Most old DK fans probably stick with him. just forsaking DK for diddy would be an awkward transition to say the least.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
I don't think D.K ever had much of a fan base, which is kinda sad:urg:. I think of playing as him just for that, as I always liked his games. Plus he looks very cool when he destroys a fully charged Lucario or Samus blast by just clapping it:laugh:!

Jammo

Smash Cadet
I sometimes feel that I'm the only one who respects DK as a fighter. He's a good fighter for those fans of Saturday Night Ape Fights down at the pool house.

TheMoonman

Smash Cadet
I can't comment on how DK plays, since I don't even have a Wii yet, but from I've seen in a couple videos, he looks way better.

But in my mind, I'll always have respect for Donkey Kong. Especially in Brawl, since he just looks so much cooler and much more badass :)

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Diddy is a tiny peanut. DK is the big banana. People just like Diddy because they think he's high tier, but once DK keeps gimping their fugly jetpack recoveries, they'll come back to the real powerhouse.

Cranky + K. Rool for Brawl 4...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
WRONG!!!

Ness has been the most unpopular
No, he's right. It's a fact that Donkey Kong is the least popular character in Smashbros history. Also, don't forget that Lucas has overrided Ness.
The Ness Brawl and Melee forums are more then 3 times as large/active compared to the DK ones.

Also, Diddy Kong had the spot light over DK since he was first announced in Brawl. The amount of threads, views and posts in the Diddy Kong forums exceeded DK's Melee and Brawl forums combined in about 1 month after being created.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
DK is like DeDeDe in how I play them both. Like spamming the bair, except DK doesn't have the chain/infinite nor the three other good moves De has...

pirkid

Smash Lord
DK has NEVER been popular. Think about it.

Diddy comes in with his speed and gun, his aerials and smashes, people love him. He's also a newcomer.

DK, the same ol' big guy that no one uses, even though he's a lot better this time around. Gameplay-wise, people are more attracted to Diddy.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
DK is unpopular because he lacks anything really flashy. He's just pure muscle. I find him fun to play and I think some of his moves look pretty cool (downsmash ftw), but there's not much to really draw a player to him at first glance . It doesn't help that he hasn't had a good game in years besides Jungle Beat, which went largely unnoticed (then again a lack of recent good games doesn't stop Sonic from being popular).

kario_mart

Smash Cadet
DK is a fun character, nothing deep about him besides the outside appearence.
i like him, but diddy is just a beter playable character.
oh and crazy kong for ssb4!

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Though not about Brawl specifically, I've always preferred Diddy. On DKC1 Diddy was the way to go

Top Bottom