• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Awesome And Yet... Not So Awesome

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I have just gotten into using Ganny today. I understand pretty much all the techs and combos and all that jazzzzzz...zzz. As I've been fighting, I have noticed something odd about him.

It seems that my Ganondorf has a great time fighting the best characters and yet, he has the worst time fighting the worst of characters. I mean it's a huge buzzkill to murder a Meta Knight or a Luigi and then have a Sonic **** Ganny in the ear with his foot :ohwell:

Is this just how Ganny is, or am I just fighting wierdly?

IR.O.B.edC.Falcon

Smash Apprentice
Well the fact that a good sonic can run circles around you might mean something... but where do you get off murdering a Mk?

EDIT: good sonic

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Well, you can pretty much follow up the flame choke with anything on Meta. I would rack the damage up on Meta Knight until he's around 80%, then I'll just Flame Choke --> Ftilt for that sweet, sweet, pure horizontal knockback kill.
Sonic on the other hand, I dunno, I just can't follow up with anything on the choke and his recovery is too gimptastic for me to tipman him.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
If you're playing Metaknights who get consistently hit with flame chokes, then that would be why you find 'good' characters so easy. There's more to a character than inherent goodness... there's also the player's basic ability to dodge a fairly easy-to-dodge move. :(

Tenki

Smash Hero
^ but all he said was that you can follow up with anything in a flame choke, not 'I rack up damage with flame choke all game! lolz'. And that he likes using FC>F-tilt to finish them.

...But really, Sonic wins Ganondorf :[

SH f-air beats Thunderstorm, side-B, and Ganon's shield
Sonic's F-air and D-air outprioritizes your side-B (= no Ganoncide, and gl with Flame Choke if you're predictable)
Spring gimp defeats up-B recovery
Run can punish your jab >_>
Sonic's D-smash can sometimes beat Ganon's aerial down-B
Sonic's sweetspot D-air off-stage = you can't recover after like.. 40-50% lol

There's more to a character than inherent suckyness... there's also the player's basic ability to punish your moves and gimp your recovery x.x;

Honestly though, I told Flying Dutchman this too, but if you're fighting a Sonic, don't waste moves. Don't stand there spamming a move thinking you're scaring the Sonic player - no, the Sonic is just preparing his punishment attack, and if your jab can be punished... well... pretty much anything else can -.-'

It was vaguely mentioned in the Sonic boards, but most characters have to change their playstyles when fighting Sonic. It should be the same for Ganondorf, too.

Genoisdabest

Smash Cadet
Umm, sorry to say but I do not believe that to be true at all...
It is probably your play style with Ganon that makes you think that.

Sliq

Smash Master
Sonic is only annoying. He has no KO potential at all, and can easily be gimped by simply GRABBING him after he up b's, then letting him break out.

Sonic can run really fast, but other than that can't do jack **** else.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
What's with all the talk about sonic lately? He's trash, and the MK you beat must of been a noob mk to let a Ganon rip him apart. I love Ganon, but against mk that matchup is always going to belong to MK.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic is only annoying. He has no KO potential at all, and can easily be gimped by simply GRABBING him after he up b's, then letting him break out.

Sonic can run really fast, but other than that can't do jack **** else.
=/ The only time I can see a Sonic player being that close to the edge from a spring (heightwise) is if they're trying to 'surprise attack' from a spring (can you grab Sonic out of his F-air?). Otherwise (maybe it's just me), I'd go for around SH height and B-air or something. He can also airdodge as soon as his invincibility frames from the spring runs out if he's wary of an edgeguard, since most people will either stand at the edge and shield or jump off and D-air. Either way, that's a really rare situation that IMO barely poses a threat in normal gameplay.

He has good gimp powers though. Try Sonic's sweetspot D-air on a Ganon at about stage level (pretty much, like... out of a d-throw) at around 40-60% or having Ganon's up-B run into a spring. It's not a fun situation to be in. Needless to say, that's not the only thing he can do off-stage, but it's not exactly something to be overlooked, since being off-stage is a part of the game.

[edit/reply to -Aether's next post]
due to my inability to go on wifi to prove/disprove anything, I'll let you guys stick to your conceptions.
' . ');

Bouse

Smash Ace
I have a friend who loves playing the character, generally we do Ike/Ganon duels because well it's a punish-fest. He tends to try to rack up damage with throws, considering that the G-man's do around 10-13%. His best finisher I'd say is short-hopping his D-air as punishment. If you can do it right you don't land, and can go into a grab if they shield. Personally I have no idea how he did it to me one game (mainly because Ike is a relatively punishable character). But he also uses over+b as a counter aerial to take players out of the air. Ganondorf needs to not be in the air, at least not above people, and at least not for very long.

CAPTAIN Z-X2

Smash Rookie
i see what u mean i got killed with ganondorf when i faced a powerful meta knight user but i can beat a ganondorf with sonic as well

(hey can anybody here fight me with ganon i wish to be strong with him) and just how do u beat a sick fox player with the ganon.

Grunge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-wiggity
3DS FC
2938-8119-7719
You should be ****** Sonic and Meta they're so light
Sonic has Fsmash which takes forever to bring out
metaknight has fancy moves that mostly rack up damage

Learn and Train with Ganon.
Look up Sliqs guide and Shins' Tome of Dragmire

Tenki

Smash Hero
edited with reply to next post

^lol..? Fight more skilled players, maybe?
I'll forget trying to defend Sonic, since noone will believe it until they experience it, but Metaknight has moves with high priority. If you can't land (or start) your moves, it's hard to beat certain characters.

@.@; Try fighting someone who's using any of those characters and are familiar with Ganondorf's techniques and tactics- it's not as easy as you make it sound.

edit:
Relying on your opponent's unfamiliarity with your character is a bad thing. It's like me trying to rely on my opponent not being able to tell the difference between Sonic's spin attacks. It works against noobs, but when you come up against someone who knows what you can do, the match becomes alot harder.

Grunge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-wiggity
3DS FC
2938-8119-7719
^ lol...? I do

I meant Sonic lol too lazy to edit

Thats what makes Ganon so awsome no one expects him

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
You must be facing some bad Meta Knight. Meta Knight wins this matchup easily sadly, and whats he doing getting hit by flame chokes all the time?

Top Bottom