• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So. . .apparently Mario needs to grab to win >_>

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
So, I was attending this small tourney (more like an organized set of friendlies), and there was this Ganon player that I usually play against, so I know that I'm better than him. . .except, he usually plays drunk, so I hadn't accurately gauged his skill level.

Anyways, so we start off the match on FD, and suddenly, I'm getting *****. I'm trying my best to be as evasive as possible so I can avoid f-air/f-tilt/u-air spacing and land shffl'd aerials, but no matter how carefully I approach, I get *****, because his range is overwhelming me. I lose.

I get pissed, of course. There's no way in bloody, effin' Hades that some random Ganon player--who admittedly spaces very well, and times grabs even better--is going to beat my mediocre Mario. So I rematch him.

This time, instead of trying to be evasive, bypass his spacing, and attempt to land hits, all I do is try to grab. That's it. I spend 100% of my time trying to grab. Screw shffl'd aerials, screw tilts (except u-tilt :ohwell: ), screw smashes and fireballs. All I do is grab.

And somewhere in the Land of the Rising Sun, and the remote village of Carlisle PA, the spirit of Brown Mario and the Cape is smiling on my sunny soul. Because now, for some strange reason, I'm ****** the literal excrement out of Ganon. I win the first match, I lost the second--but almost came back from a 3-stock deficit after I pull a Silv-style rising d-air -> shffl'd u-airs -> f-smash up-angled combo--and win the 3rd. And all I did was grab.

And then it occurs to me. . .MARIO NEEDS TO GRAB. That's all he needs to do to win. Everything else--shffl'd aerials, SHABAWDs, projectile approaches, tilts/smashes, even edgeguarding--all that stuff is secondary compared to the OVERWHELMING NECESSITY OF GRABBING. Because grabs lead to an insta-combo, and without the grab, combos are pretty much impossible.

I can't believe that I didn't incorporate this into my thinking process. I mean, I know that Mario needs grabs to combo, but that knowledge really didn't wheedle its way into my playstyle. I feel like such an idiot.

So yeah, long story short: Mario needs to grab. Duh.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Back in the day (before I played Smash competatively) I would play against a good Captain Falcon. He would always own me. 4-stock me or 3-stock me. One day, I decided to block-grab, and I found myself throwing him over the side and caping him. This way, I finally won. He no longer leaves himself open for block grabs.

Grabbing made my Mario a lot better.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I would agree that grabbing is important, but guys come on, don't take it to too far an extreme here. Sure grabbing is a good combo starter, but there are other ways to start combos. Also, grabbing can get very boring if it's all you do.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Mario is a beast when he grabs! He is very strong! I always love backwards throwing people cause it's longer and has more range.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Yeah. You should've done "The Eggz Combo"

It's where you 0 to death them in the coolest way possible twice in a row. Do it more often plzkthx.

Oddly enough it starts from a grab and works on any ganon who doesn't fight Marios often.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I have a 0 to death combo that works on Fox and Falco. It starts with throwing them over the edge and you know the rest.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Your title confused me... Mario doesn't NEED to grab to win it's just the majority of Mario related victories included grabs. Seriously though without Mario's down/up throw it does cripple his ability

also....

"And somewhere in the Land of the Rising Sun, and the remote village of Carlisle PA, the spirit of Brown Mario and the Cape is smiling on my sunny soul."

no one informed me that Mario pros have the ability to send out their Spirit to other Mario players... Can you do this Eggz?...and if so do it right now cause I need to work on my Shffld u-airs

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I don't know. When I started winning matches against all those people I couldn't beat just a few months ago (who were way more skilled then I was... HELL I didn't start grabbing until a month ago, and I've recently started chaing grabbing) I felt the spirit of Eggz "comith" upon me.

Eggz

Smash Hero
My spirit is omnipotent and omnipresent. I'm kinda like god in the way that my essence is everywhere but nowhere at the same time. *just compared himself to god* LOL.

And uhhh
guy said:
Your title confused me... Mario doesn't NEED to grab to win it's just the majority of Mario related victories included grabs. Seriously though without Mario's down/up throw it does cripple his ability
Mario does need grabs to win. No excuses.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I like how my name is Guy... and yeah Mario is extremely useless with out grabs but I'm sure you could just barely squeak out a win and then you could be all "oh yeah...I beat you...using Mario...and no grabs...WHAT SON!!!!!" or whatever you say when you win

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I won't say Mario needs grabs to win. Its really who you're playing against, but as I said, I started winning when I began block-grabbing, and I've recently started chaingrabbing, which will hopefully make my win:loss ratio better.

I still say, wavedashing was my first step to improving my Mario.

ASP

Smash Apprentice
I had a 0-to death combo, using one grab. It was cool. Except it wasn't really a combo. I just threw him off the side of rainbow cruise at 0 percent to win the match, and set.

=D

Mario needs grabs to win.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I got a funny story about that. I did better against G-reg at my first tournament back in January (Before I block grabbed and could do a decent Uair combo), then I did at my last tournament (March 3rd). I almost won, but I messed up (I don't know, missed with the cape or something) and got a double Uair into a knee. At my last tournament, I got 2 stocked by him twice.

Then I was talking about him right behind his back.... I did not know he was standing there.

Point is, I did better against him before I block grabbed than I did after.

Then again, my Uair combo has been weak lately.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
honestly, mario can with without grabs, because I play players now that makes grabs impossible, and because of this, I rely on other thing rather then grabs to help out my skill.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure whoever I play is better than who you play mr. 5 posts join date of may, and grabbing is always possible. Maybe you should do more than "block grab"

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
you probably are better then me, but my main focus is on shffling attack into combos, with a meteor smash as a finish.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
>_> I wasn't really trying to be THAT funny. Only a little bit. I just wish that I had stumbled on this whole revelation much sooner in my Smash days. I spent 3 years playing Mario incorrectly. :dizzy:

I agree, back in the days I never saw usage for these boards, but because of all of my previous experience with this game and able to beat it without any knowledge of any of the advance techs, I was able to learn the advanced techs really fast.

Okay, the thread should be titled mario needs COMBOS to win :laugh:

JumpMan_Punk

Smash Journeyman
I need to grab just to get inside my opponent's range {i.e.pikachu/ganon/fox/marth} But not all the time it works...T_T I would use fireballs at first just to rack up damage. It's slow but it works.

mario-man

Smash Lord
5+ month bump.

Grabbing is very important. Without grabs Mario is a lost cause. Thank goodness he has grabs so he's not a lost cause. LOL

Let's start discussin' this again so the new Marios can get some input.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Wow... This topic was before people gave me shoutouts or even knew my name at tournaments... Yes, grabbing is important, up-throw to... well.... a lot of good combos.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Yes, hello and thank you for calling the Mario match-winning help service. If your current battle is against a fast-faller, please dial up-throw for combo. If your current battle is against a floaty, please dial down-throw for combo....

Brookman

Smash Hero
if you are playing a good player please dial **** out of luck for playing mario, and pick up a good character.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Like YEAH!!! Like didn't you know that...? Like.....WOW....Like....... YO DUDE.

Aayla

Smash Cadet
list......

10%luck

20% wavedashing

30% move set

40% grabbing

thats all.thank god for that fort minor song.
No mindgames? XD But I think you're right, grabbing is truly important, I'm realizing it increasingly.

Top Bottom