• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So...about that Toon Link 3.5....

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I don't really like how he barely moves when using hurricane spin unless he's fully charged up. Just doesn't seem very useful anymore.

D

Deleted member

It's still a great option, OOS it still serves its purpose of hitting in front of and behind him. It just doesn't go off of platforms for free unless you charge it

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
It's still a great option, OOS it still serves its purpose of hitting in front of and behind him. It just doesn't go off of platforms for free unless you charge it
I miss moving at all since charging it is rarely an option. Only time when I do charge it is as a tech chase, in which case I just charge for the damage as I'm already where I should be. Wouldn't starting at 0.25 speed instead of 0.1 seems like a good compromise ? (it was 0.6 pre-patch for non-initiates. 1.0 is the full charge)

Imjussayin the strafing on 3.5 Hurricane Spin is there, but I haven't found (yet) a situation where charging it actualy helps.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I miss moving at all since charging it is rarely an option. Only time when I do charge it is as a tech chase, in which case I just charge for the damage as I'm already where I should be. Wouldn't starting at 0.25 speed instead of 0.1 seems like a good compromise ? (it was 0.6 pre-patch for non-initiates. 1.0 is the full charge)

Imjussayin the strafing on 3.5 Hurricane Spin is there, but I haven't found (yet) a situation where charging it actualy helps.
Yeah, there really isn't enough time to charge it most of the time. The situations in which moving with the spin attack is most useful is when you're opponent is right near you so you can get off multiple hits or mess up their shield.

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
Thing is i agree that it was too safe in 3.0. If you hit their shield you could just strafe away to easily ledgecancel. I just think the change was a little too rough ; again, I didn't find a situation yet in which charging had any use, except if I **** up and try to spin attack out of range and just full charge so I can back off or counter-punish a sloppy punish.

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
I can't say I like the changes they made to TL in 3.5, but I do think that some of them were necessary. I mean, since I'm not a very good player, I tended to use easy 'combos' like d-throw to utilt. I guess I even became too dependent on it. I'm not too happy with the fair changes but I'll live with it. I do wish though that something could be done with the fire arrows because right now I can't find too many uses for them.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
the changes were made so that tinks game wasnt mindless. it was kind of ridiculous how ALL of your follow ups came from 1 throw before, and those follow ups worked with practically any DI for most characters. now you can get the same follow ups, but you gotta mix between dthrow and fthrow to get them to DI wrong.

the fair change was so that you had to pay attention to your spacing more to get the same reward. it encourages better play.

fire arrows are great, just not in neutral really. based on the varying close range angles and distances you can cover with them, they make for a great edge guarding tool. theyre also something you can throw out when youve already got your opponent up in the air, and youve thrown a boomerang out so you can have multiple projectiles on the field. It works to help cover a lot of airspace and movement options, especially since you retain full mobility and FF ability while charging. and whether theyre hit by arrow or boomerang, it pops them right up for a combo. theyve got a lot of use, but their use is mainly when youre NOT in neutral, unless your playing campy on somebody with particularly slow movement options. youve got an incentive to use them now much more because bombs dont go as far.

OgReAggressive

Smash Cadet
I don't think the issue is changing things to be more like Brawl or more like Melee, it's when you make these reworks of a character's tool kit that fundamentally changes how they play. See- 3.02 Zelda versus 3.5 Zelda.

Personally the Toon Link changes don't bother me as much and I'm actually considering him as a secondary in place of Meta Knight, whose changes really DO bother me.
I don't like to look at PM and go "this could be more like melee or brawl" I think it has evolved into it's own game and shouldn't be held back by the constraints of being melee. I like PM as it's own game maybe it's just me though

Last edited:

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
I like the new nair. It distinguishes Tlink from Link more. It really ticks me off to hear "toon link is just link but worse". That's similar to when people say Terraria is just Minecraft in 2D. Those of you who play both know that they are both very unique and different. One thing I think would be cool (just for aesthetics) is if they replaced Toon Link's hookshot with his grappling hook. Just my personal preference though

Celestis

Smash Ace
Out of all things changed on him in 3.5, I miss his old Nair so much.. The Brawl Nair just ain't doing it for me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
After a session with Lunchables offline I can confirm that Toon Link is still terrifying in 3.5 lmao

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
Don't know if u guys know this yet but I'm a new tlink player and around 60% his up throw leads into pretty much any Arieal and can be up throw to up air to kill

D

Deleted member

Yeah, up throw is his combo throw. It's good and well known.

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
I have a couple of questions
Does down air sweet spot any more and if so where is it
What are some basic combos out of up throw
Thanks in advance

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Down Air's sweet is like on Toon Link's head, I think.

Uthrow > Utilt chains until opponent DIs > Fair or Bair > Uspecial or > Bair > Bair > Uspecial depending on how you opponent DIs for low percents at mid/higher percents you can go Uthrow > Uair or Up Special as just some basic things you can try. You can also use Dthrow/Fthrow as a DI mix-up to try and get a Fair, Dair, or Upspecial out of them.

Top Bottom