• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2016 So, About That PAC-MAN Glitch....

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

This looks to be a prettybig deal. until stated otherwise, there is no other patches coming until August(which add the Youtube player and other 64 stages IIRC)-right past EVO. this means that this will be active at the tournament, whch honestly effects the character's legality. I tweeted Wizard just now about the thing, and I'm wondering what the response will be on it, but what do you believe should be the fate of PAC-MAN at EVO?

Sacrosanct

Smash Cadet
NNID
IttyBitty_Smitty
If its not patched before EVO he has to be banned. Theres no way that can be allowed to be done in tournament play.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
PAC-MAN being banned is a pretty radical way to avoid this glitch.

Just make it so that any player abusing the glitch (should it be even once) has to forfeit the match or something. I doubt this kind of thing can happen by accident in a normal match.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I would say to just make it a rule against abusing that glitch. If they do, even by accident, they automatically forfeit the round.

It's unfair to outright ban a character for something like that. Just don't allow the glitch to be exploited. It's fairly simple.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
If it's easily abusable (which it is, in a sense), I'd expect it to be a case where doing it will force a forfeit of the game, accidental or not; banning Pac is a very extreme manuver that would cause plenty of backlash.

It could be patched in time for EVO, if Nintendo decides to fix it quickly.

Last edited:

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The technique should be banned and it's easily enforceable, the smash community has experience with glitches like these. I remember you used to be able to glitch iceclimbers together to give them infinite jumps.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Unless I'm missing something, this is a pretty avoidable bug, and really only puts you under the stage on very thin stages like Smashville, Town and City, and some Omegas. Other stages you just clip in to the stages and can jump right out. The timing is strict enough so you have to be devoting to this to go for it (no way you're getting people on blind reaction). If you know about the glitch and don't suck, you're not likely to be caught into it, and even less likely to die seeing as you're probably going to be on a stage where it doesn't kill you.

This is no worse than wobbling or Brawl grab infinites. It's always been part of Smash's ruleset to know the characters, and it's your fault for losing a game due to a bug, even in insane situations like Sheik Chain jacket game crashes. It's even weaker than the previously mentioned insta-kill bugs because your opponent basically has to walk into it on purpose to die from it, and even then that's only on like 2 stages. There are no (known) set-ups for this, and it doesn't even kill outside of thin stages, nor is it difficult on any level to avoid. In some situations, it's actually WORSE to do this glitch than to just leave your trampoline up, as on stages thick enough where someone can jump back through the bottom, they can potentially punish you since you're in special fall after initiating your Up-B. The only times bad bugs have been banned are when they result in indefinite stalling like Ice Climber's freeze glitch and MK's IDC, and this in no way stalls out the game.

It's a stupid bug, and hopefully it gets patched before EVO. I can see how at a glance people want to start thinking up rules to avoid this, but it's a pretty irrelevant bug. I'd be incredibly surprised if someone landed a kill with this in bracket (anything can happen in pools...), so saying that this glitch, let alone Pac-Man, would need to be banned at EVO if this isn't patched out is incredibly uneducated and over-reactive. It's probably not even worth anyone's time to think about this bug, as a insta-kill glitch that your opponent basically has to cooperate with in order to perform really isn't going to effect the game.

Sacrosanct

Smash Cadet
NNID
IttyBitty_Smitty
I reacted from the video, the first time ive seen or heard of the bug was from this thread. The video makes it look very easy to pull off.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The person that uploaded the video says a lot of the footage came from people trying to replicate the glitch with him after he managed to get it once. Over half the video is people trying to do it on purpose, not setting it up in a real 1v1 game.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Unless I'm missing something, this is a pretty avoidable bug, and really only puts you under the stage on very thin stages like Smashville, Town and City, and some Omegas. Other stages you just clip in to the stages and can jump right out. The timing is strict enough so you have to be devoting to this to go for it (no way you're getting people on blind reaction). If you know about the glitch and don't suck, you're not likely to be caught into it, and even less likely to die seeing as you're probably going to be on a stage where it doesn't kill you.

This is no worse than wobbling or Brawl grab infinites. It's always been part of Smash's ruleset to know the characters, and it's your fault for losing a game due to a bug, even in insane situations like Sheik Chain jacket game crashes. It's even weaker than the previously mentioned insta-kill bugs because your opponent basically has to walk into it on purpose to die from it, and even then that's only on like 2 stages. There are no (known) set-ups for this, and it doesn't even kill outside of thin stages, nor is it difficult on any level to avoid. In some situations, it's actually WORSE to do this glitch than to just leave your trampoline up, as on stages thick enough where someone can jump back through the bottom, they can potentially punish you since you're in special fall after initiating your Up-B. The only times bad bugs have been banned are when they result in indefinite stalling like Ice Climber's freeze glitch and MK's IDC, and this in no way stalls out the game.

It's a stupid bug, and hopefully it gets patched before EVO. I can see how at a glance people want to start thinking up rules to avoid this, but it's a pretty irrelevant bug. I'd be incredibly surprised if someone landed a kill with this in bracket (anything can happen in pools...), so saying that this glitch, let alone Pac-Man, would need to be banned at EVO if this isn't patched out is incredibly uneducated and over-reactive. It's probably not even worth anyone's time to think about this bug, as a insta-kill glitch that your opponent basically has to cooperate with in order to perform really isn't going to effect the game.
You are the uneducated one, Smash has a history of banning glitches like this (http://www.ssbwiki.com/Soul_breaker), we don't even use items and people who out of their way to label this as banned. Wobbling isn't a glitch it's an exploit of a mechanic, in melee you can't break out of grabs while in hitstun, like intended. In the next games that mechanic isn't there and guess what? Top players break out in 1 pummel up til 150% damage.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Ice_Climbers_fusion_glitch THIS is what the pacman glitch is compareable to. It's literally breaking the game but of course some people would like to have an unfair advantage on their opponents, "lol if you didn't want to lose then you should have changed characters this is such a viable strat making smash play as if there was no stage floor."

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Can you please read my entire post before responding? If you're going to try to call me uneducated and berate me, you could at the very least read the whole damned post before responding.

Those aren't really even directly banned in tournaments. The former because it requires items (it's possible to do without items, but your opponent literally has to help you do it... in teams), and the latter because even though its buggy, its not advantageous, let alone gambreaking. If you're comparing this bug to those, then there's no reason to bother worrying about this bug (let alone banning it).

Last edited:

Skydra

Smash Cadet
I think this is most comparable to the Freeze Glitch. It isn't near-impossible like Soul Breaker and IC fusion, and gives an insane advantage to the attacker. It also doesn't really happen unless you're actively trying to do it with prior knowledge of the glitch.

I think we can ban it the same way, with TO discretion on the punishment. TBH I'm expecting Nintendo to fix it though.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
So he didn't respond to my tweet per se, but rather someone else's and he pretty much said that it will be the glich banned, not the PAC-God.

so it seems the "exploiters forfeit the round" rule may be in effect for EVO.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Just be aware and ready to mash jump/up-b if there is a trampoline on the stage. As long as you are ready for it this glitch shouldn't kill you.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
whch honestly effects the character's legality.
In what way?

It's a new aspect of a character that is part of the metagame until it's patched out. Suck it up and deal. It's not even viable technology to rely on since everyone knows about it now. If you can set up a KO with it, you got that KO fair and square.

Last edited:
Top Bottom