• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

snake

:-)

Smash Rookie
Hi

I'm having some issues fighting my friend's snake, all he does is a moves (tilts), and while i can dodge or avoid most, the ones that hit send me flying and do like 30% or somthing

any tips?

Besides kirby, i use game an watch and meta knight, but its the same issue for them since all three are light chars

Thanks

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, there are a few things you can try. First off, I would suggest you try to bait him into using the tilts at the wrong times (Like for example coming from above, do a jump right before you get into Utilt range, and if he Utilts, go to stone (providing you can transform before his Utilt ends... haven't tried it, so I couldn't say, but I think that one would work.), or baiting him into using an Ftilt the same way, only with short hops, and either eat him or hammer him.).

Also, since it sounds like he isn't using grenades, Nikita, mines, mortar slide, etc, you have the whole level to yourself. Use it. Stay out of his range while trying to make him mess up, and punish him when he does. Also, if your on a level with platforms, Uair him through the platform.

Another thing you could do is final cutter edge grabs. What I mean is do Final Cutter from a ledge (it goes through the stage on the way up and back down, but doesn't shoot if you don't land on the ground.). This should dissuade him from staying too close to the ledge, and, on top of that, it makes him never know when to expect the shockwave or not, allowing it to usually hit when you do randomly land on stage.

Finally, your B move will be your best friend here. When you start sucking in your opponent, you get super armor frames, meaning you can eat him through his Ftilt (providing you space it correctly). At this point, you can try to spit him out (into a mine if he laid one) and chase, Kirbycide, or take his grenades. All will help a lot against Snake.
If you take his grenades, they can be a HUGE help. Pull the out and shield/roll away from his tilts to make him blow himself up on the grenade you left behind. Otherwise, use them the same way a Snake would. Let them stew, then throw.

Grabbing can also be a huge help here. If you know he's going to tilt, shield grab him. From there you can follow up with some impressive combos.

I would also suggest a running Usmash, but I don't know if it outprioritizes Snakes tilts or not.

Hope that helps.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Running usmash will probably clash with his tilts, but it's risky, and should be used as a surprise. That said, Snake is hard to star ko anyway, fsmash is your best bet here, sadly.

I've been having trouble with Snakes too. I keep thinking I've got the matchup in the bag, and then I get owned, and I remember how deadly a decent Snake player is. I think if his ftilt and utilt weren't SO BROKEN the matchup wouldn't really be that hard.

But the broken tilts, on top of the godly stage control, hard-to-gimp recovery (most go up high when recovering) and WAY TOO HEAVY weight make the matchup too hard. That, and wifi is terrible.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Running usmash will probably clash with his tilts, but it's risky, and should be used as a surprise. That said, Snake is hard to star ko anyway, fsmash is your best bet here, sadly.

I've been having trouble with Snakes too. I keep thinking I've got the matchup in the bag, and then I get owned, and I remember how deadly a decent Snake player is. I think if his ftilt and utilt weren't SO BROKEN the matchup wouldn't really be that hard.

But the broken tilts, on top of the godly stage control, hard-to-gimp recovery (most go up high when recovering) and WAY TOO HEAVY weight make the matchup too hard. That, and wifi is terrible.
I see...

However, it doesn't sound like the Snake he needs help with uses the godly stage control.

:-)

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help, i'll try some of it out, and yea, not much of the stage control type, more like the if i do enough tilts i'll land one type

I'm a little confused about super armor, what is it? just no knockback? or is it like invincibility when dodging ect.?

And should i wait for him to come to me, or play very agressive? usually i tend to be very agressive

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Thanks for the help, i'll try some of it out, and yea, not much of the stage control type, more like the if i do enough tilts i'll land one type

I'm a little confused about super armor, what is it? just no knockback? or is it like invincibility when dodging ect.?

And should i wait for him to come to me, or play very agressive? usually i tend to be very agressive
Never play aggressive against Snake. Try to get out of the way of his attacks to get him to miss, and as soon as he misses attack him. So usually I never approach Snake's anymore, unless they are average players or bad at playing Snake. It will take ALOT of mind game tricks for Kirby to win this match up against Snake.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I always approach Snake because otherwise he'll just spam projectiles at me and have time to plant mines. Dair is a favorite approach of mine for this, and bair, and running grab, and other stuff.

But what do I know o_o

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

Super armor is when you take damage but don't get knocked back (think Giga Bowser).

Question: Does Ftilt clash with any of his tilts? I noticed earlier today it has higher priority than I thought it did, so thought I'd ask.

Top Bottom