• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake vs. Zelda

Tithenion

Smash Rookie
Surprisingly, despite the fact that this is supposed to be a match very much in favor of Snake (according to the Zelda board), I'm having difficulty with this one. I know a really good Zelda player and I got my butt handed to me when playing against him recently.

I noticed some things that I was doing wrong, such as bad timing with using grenades against his Din's fire, but I'm just not sure what the best way to go about the match-up is. He out-camps me very well, and can be difficult to approach. I tried watching some videos against good Zeldas, but they don't really play the same way he does.

Any tips since there isn't a match-up discussion on this one yet?

Tithenion

Smash Rookie
No, I rarely ever play WiFi. Most of the people I play with are on my hall here at college. We've started hosting tourneys as well, which bring some more people from elsewhere to play. But yeah, both times we've done a tourney I've ended up in finals with him and he's won. This last time was closer, but I'm still not quite there. The best I did was on Frigate Orpheon. Halberd wasn't bad, either.

Tithenion

Smash Rookie
I clicked and read it the first time, and have actually read it before as well. All I was doing was responding to what somebody else said and just stating what happened in my most recent attempt at the matchup.

g2g4gold

Smash Cadet
You can airdodge through Din's Fire with relative ease. He'll try to mix up where he ignites it, either slightly ahead or behind you, but honestly a DACUS or dash attack or even a forward roll will set you up for a punish. If you're at opposite sides of the map, it might push you back a little bit if you shield it, or even off the ledge - just be aware that can happen, and it won't be an issue.

Zelda's biggest weakness is that she basically has to approach you, because Din's isn't a very viable option. You can even just strip a grenade near her and she'll be forced to move.

Her major kill moves are lightning-kicks, up-tilt, and u-air. Her smashes are fairly strong and her biggest gimmick is a d-tilt string to d-smash... space well and keep a grenade near. Just don't get caught in a u-air recovering to the stage, and honestly, she blows in the air even more than Snake does. You can **** her so, so hard every time she lands (what's she gonna do? d-air or a fail f-air/b-air from the side? just shield or grab her out of an airdodge), every time she Up-B's should be a forward tilt or worse.

But yeah, SuSa's link is good.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
You can airdodge through Din's Fire with relative ease. He'll try to mix up where he ignites it, either slightly ahead or behind you, but honestly a DACUS or dash attack or even a forward roll will set you up for a punish. If you're at opposite sides of the map, it might push you back a little bit if you shield it, or even off the ledge - just be aware that can happen, and it won't be an issue.

Zelda's biggest weakness is that she basically has to approach you, because Din's isn't a very viable option. You can even just strip a grenade near her and she'll be forced to move.

Her major kill moves are lightning-kicks, up-tilt, and u-air. Her smashes are fairly strong and her biggest gimmick is a d-tilt string to d-smash... space well and keep a grenade near. Just don't get caught in a u-air recovering to the stage, and honestly, she blows in the air even more than Snake does. You can **** her so, so hard every time she lands (what's she gonna do? d-air or a fail f-air/b-air from the side? just shield or grab her out of an airdodge), every time she Up-B's should be a forward tilt or worse.

But yeah, SuSa's link is good.
B-air dins fire.
Spam grenades.
SDI side smash
Tech D smash.
With DI u smash wont kill you until 140ish.
Don't leave yourself open for lightning kicks.
Don't approach.
U tilt kills her at like 98.
you really shouldn't have trouble with Zelda.

napZzz

Smash Hero
slow down and you'll beat zelda, you dont even really need to camp as far as I can tell if dins fire is getting to you

then again, the only zeldas I've played were on wifi, so I'm just going on my own zelda experience, her options are generally **** and her range is horrible when it comes to zoning snake, I honestly think she's the worst character in the game and for good reason (/side comment)

Fuujin

Smash Champion
slow down and you'll beat zelda, you dont even really need to camp as far as I can tell if dins fire is getting to you

then again, the only zeldas I've played were on wifi, so I'm just going on my own zelda experience, her options are generally **** and her range is horrible when it comes to zoning snake, I honestly think she's the worst character in the game and for good reason (/side comment)
Ive had a lot of people telling me that recently, I personally don't think she's worse than Ganondorf, but I think she's about equally as bad.
The only things she has over him is that she cant be chaingrabbed, is slightly faster and has an OSS option.
All that for the trade off of dying at 100% and having a worse recovery.
It's just refreshing to see that some people really see her for how bad she is.
You'd be surprised by how many people still think she beats Ice Climbers and go even with Dedede.

Sorry to get off topic, but if you're having problems with Zelda you're doing something severely wrong, Snake destroys her.

napZzz

Smash Hero
lol. zelda can like, spot dodge smash people and try to be gimmicky in the air

and her recovery/grab leave alot to be desired

Fuujin

Smash Champion
lol. zelda can like, spot dodge smash people and try to be gimmicky in the air

and her recovery/grab leave alot to be desired
That and her only viable kill move is u smash, maybe next to that d tilt to u tilt.
SDI her side smash and DI down and tech her down smash.
Lightning kicks are too hard to land unless you leave yourself completely open, or you're Bowser.
She has a ****ty projectile and a ****ty reflector too, it amazes me that she was once mid tier.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Third time is a charm? I'm teaching you the matchup. It's called "Go read their matchup thread. What do they have problems with? Abuse that."
this is aka being aggressively unhelpful

Top Bottom