• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake online = Pain?

wanginvasion

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm wondering if any of you feel this, and I was hoping that you guys but i consider myself a decent player as snake, however, it seems like whenever I go online to face other people, whether through MLG-GB or SWF, I feel as if I am EXTREMELY handicapped and left with very little moves.

For instance, characters such as Marth and Wolf, they seem to be able to just spam those smash moves and aerials. (Especially Wolf with laser and roll, which seems impossible to catch with the "tiny delay".

Whereas Snake, the aerials are quite easily punished when not used correctly, the grenade priming and C4 detonating(not a large part of the game in some cases but serves important purposes when you do need)

It seems like the only reliable moves are still the AAA and A-tilt, Nikita(occasionally), Back Air, and Uair(really hard to time with delay)

Does anyone feel the same>?
So is there any advice as to getting better as Snake online(Different moves/Concepts/What to-dos and what not-to-dos/Play-style I should be aware of)?

Lastly, are you guys used to the delay from internet? (Not a lag, but a delay which I'm sure if you are somewhat sensitive with timing, you will feel the significant annoyance)
Because it seems like I just cannot get used to the sometimes 1-second delay online

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I agree with rukus, playing online gets borderline frustrating at times since I cant time C4 sticks or Cromslides right.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
omg the rukus u completley stole my name!!!! i had this name for ever!!!!! wowwwwww

lol I was wondering if you made a new account or something...

On topic, I don't have any qualms with the delay. Usually it's not that bad, it just takes getting used to. Trust me, I've done some c4 sticks several instances out of powershield or trick them into shielding -> c4 stick. I guess it depends on location and the amount of lag, but I do alright with Snake online.

Cho?

Smash Apprentice
played for the first time online last night..the lag was terrible. the game was choppy. but..i guess with a really good internet connection between all players then it might be okay.

Cho?

Smash Apprentice
ill try that from now on. besides i wanna start training with ppl who actually can give me tips

Mizar

Smash Ace
I think Snake is playable online, not that hard. I wouldn't recommend playing Smash Bros. brawl online, cuz that has so much lag that you wouldn't be able to play like you used to.

wanginvasion

Smash Rookie
I played about 10-15 games overall online, it feels so weird even though i began to get a hang of it (i goto gamebattles to play on the ladder, which is like SWF friend finder, where you add them onto friend list, they actually have a ranking for it, pretty interesting)

I found out that dodging and shielding are completely different as opposed to off-line. You need to dodge about a second prior to the actual dodge.

Pros online :

Grenade become quiet useful when they approach since they have the delay, u can just shield and allow them to hit the grenades and kill themselves.

Nikita not too affected by the delay

Cons online :

C4 was completely if you try to detonate it unless you set it up perfectly because the delay just does not allow you to do so. You can however, time the C4 detonation time and lure the enemy/grab+throw into C4 and allow it to automatically blow up (been doing this about 3-4 times, works pretty well)

A moves work similiarly, it might ruin your timing off-line because of the delay online.

Ps: Abit_Rusty - Hmm do you think it will lag playing between NY and Michigan?? lol

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Ps: Abit_Rusty - Hmm do you think it will lag playing between NY and Michigan?? lol
Yes, but definitely playable. Heck I've played people in Cali and the lag wasn't bad at all. At most maybe half a second delay to a fourth of a second delay...I've played people from NY too and barely any lag. It just takes getting used to.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but definitely playable. Heck I've played people in Cali and the lag wasn't bad at all. At most maybe half a second delay to a fourth of a second delay...I've played people from NY too and barely any lag. It just takes getting used to.
Once the framerate takes a plunge though games can get almost unplayable. Happened to me in a Friends match on the last 20 seconds of Spear Pillar. That match lasted five minutes longer than it was supposed to.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Once the framerate takes a plunge though games can get almost unplayable. Happened to me in a Friends match on the last 20 seconds of Spear Pillar. That match lasted five minutes longer than it was supposed to.
Hm I'm not exactly sure what causes extreme drop in FPS. I was playing someone in-state and there was a huge framerate spike (lasted almost 5 minutes too). Everything moved like molasses >.>. I don't even get this with out of state people lol.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Hm I'm not exactly sure what causes extreme drop in FPS. I was playing someone in-state and there was a huge framerate spike (lasted almost 5 minutes too). Everything moved like molasses >.>. I don't even get this with out of state people lol.
Yeah, it's never happened to me in a Random match though. It just seems to happen whenever. It did make it easier to react, what with seeing moves coming a good 20 seconds ahead of time. Also, I didn't die when the stage flipped, which was new...

Superperson

Smash Rookie
Let it take 20 minutes to find me one Sonic to play against and two bots in a set format that I can't change?
Get stuck playing on f***ing New Pork City because someone picked it accidentally?
Never play against anyone other than Sonics, Ikes and Diddy Kongs?
Yeah...no thanks.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Let it take 20 minutes to find me one Sonic to play against and two bots in a set format that I can't change?
Get stuck playing on f***ing New Pork City because someone picked it accidentally?
Never play against anyone other than Sonics, Ikes and Diddy Kongs?
Yeah...no thanks.
allisbrawl.com <-match-ups chatroom, all you'll ever need. You'll definitely find a variety of players there. and/or you can add me :laugh:

Also Sonic and Ike aren't tough, I've played great ones by the way, diddy kong is probably another story haha..my only match vs a good one was a lucky win :p

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
allisbrawl.com <-match-ups chatroom, all you'll ever need. You'll definitely find a variety of players there. and/or you can add me :laugh:

Also Sonic and Ike aren't tough, I've played great ones by the way, diddy kong is probably another story haha..my only match vs a good one was a lucky win :p
Well, any character seems to be tougher on Anyone, if only because of lag. And especially playing as Snake, since things like C4 detonation can become ridiculously annoying with lag. Ike is only annoying because I keep misjudging distances and rolling into his attacks. It doesn't happen much anymore though.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Well, any character seems to be tougher on Anyone, if only because of lag. And especially playing as Snake, since things like C4 detonation can become ridiculously annoying with lag. Ike is only annoying because I keep misjudging distances and rolling into his attacks. It doesn't happen much anymore though.
Hah I guess I play online too much because I can time it just fine ...too accustomed to the reasonably slight delay I guess >.>

Top Bottom