• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Mention in the Nintendo Direct "What Do You Think It Means?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
He could come back, but I don't really expect him to come back soon, there are many more characters that are requested more than he is...

the8thark

Smash Lord
He could come back, but I don't really expect him to come back soon, there are many more characters that are requested more than he is...
Ah but should DLC characters come back based on how requested they are by a certain segment of the fanbase? or should there be other thoughts that go into which characters are DLC?

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
All you people seem to downplay how much of a no-no it is to mention another product while pushing your own.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It was an acknowledgement of his appearance in Brawl, and that's it. I'm actually a bit surprised that they mentioned him by name.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Does anybody know how to properly use punctuation anymore?

The floodgates to downloadable characters just opened up less than a day ago and people are already confirming/invalidating other character's chances in the roster.

I had a feeling Mewtwo would return to Smash. I've always thought Snake would return, too. You know, he can be back without the codecs.

あい3

Smash Rookie
NNID
AitoMarth
3DS FC
1693-3217-0339
Couldn't they just have mentioned Falco or Fox's special taunts? It just seems weird that they'd mention Snake.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Couldn't they just have mentioned Falco or Fox's special taunts? It just seems weird that they'd mention Snake.
Unlike the Star Fox taunts, Snake's taunts have specific dialog for every fighter in the roster. The Kid Icarus taunt follows that same principle.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It means "People are more likely to recognize smash taunts from Snake than from Fox"

That's about it.

Though I'd love to be wrong and see him as DLC later.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I hate how snake has a moveset people liked using and now its waisted so im all for bringing him back!

Last edited:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Star Fox has always had this feature. Sakurai just gave Snake's conversations to the most fitting character available.
Because Doc Louis, Navi, and Isabelle aren't fitting? Heck, almost all of the series could fit just as well as Kid Icarus. I'm ok with it, but denying that it is due to Sakurai's bias is just plain ignorant.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Because Doc Louis, Navi, and Isabelle aren't fitting? Heck, almost all of the series could fit just as well as Kid Icarus. I'm ok with it, but denying that it is due to Sakurai's bias is just plain ignorant.
Navi and Isabelle are not voice acted... its not sakurai bias, and punch out is dead again.

This is just looking for things to call him biased for now. :smirk:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Although DLC is a very real possibility thanks to Mewtwo's addition, I wouldn't put any stock on Snake being implemented due to the mention of his Codecs. The reference was made to tell us that conversations between Pit and Palutena in Palutena's Temple will be replacing the Codecs.

That being said, I do hope to see him return.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I think what's odd is that they compared it to snake and not star fox, there was no need to mention snake at all
I think it would have been easier to express what exactly the Pit conversations were. With the Star Fox convos, it's about the SF characters conversing with each other, but with the Pit conversations, it's easier to compare them to Snake's codecs.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Sakurai bias strikes again. At least Star Fox gets a shot at this as well.
You can't be serious. Why wouldn't Palutena's Temple have this kind of feature when KI:U was full of endless conversations? It's just like Star Fox and Metal Gear Solid.

Good god, we're truly digging the bottom of the barrel with this non-sense.

You don't have Doc Louis constantly talking to Little Mac (he only talks during breaks or at the end of the match I think) and fittingly he does appear in one of not some of Little Mac's victory. Navi constantly wants to interrupt you with hints (and is considered notorious for that), and Isabelle is completely incomparable.

Meanwhile we have MGS, with the codec calls that occurs A LOT. Star Fox and Kid Icarus Uprising with the constant chatter during gameplay.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Meanwhile we have MGS, with the codec calls that occurs A LOT.
I was gonna make a joke about MGS4, but ironically I think it had some of the shortest Codec calls in the series.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Keep in mind this isn't just dialogue. It's fully voiced dialogue.

Star Fox has it. Metal Gear Solid has it. And now, Kid Icarus has it as well.

Zelda doesn't have it. Neither does Animal Crossing. And like @ Naoshi Naoshi stated, Doc Louis doesn't talk during fights, but in breaks, which he fittingly does in all of Mac's win poses.

You telling me Sakurai is bias for Star Fox and was bias for MGS for including dialogue bonuses? In all three cases, it's an allusion to how characters in their series interacted a lot through dialogue during gameplay.

People are really trying too hard to find excuses by now... >_>

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Literally the only thing I'd say is even close to counting as "bias" from Sakurai's part, is Dark Pit's inclusion. And that's just an effortless clone so it's not like it really matters.

Everything else is just him paying attention to a series like he does any other. I swear, every single time anything Kirby or Kid Icarus gets added people complain about bias, but fact is, those are not even the series that's getting the most attention. (also, never mind that there were a lot of Smash Bros elements in Kid Icarus too, it's only natural for some of those things to make it back on the series that inspired pretty much every single freaking thing in Uprising.)

I mean, really, if Sakurai had ever worked on Zelda, people would be going "BIAS!" at all these new Zelda items. And I don't even want to think what would everyone say had he worked on a Mario game before this game, with two newcomers and a returning character, a huge stage list (with some stages that are pretty darn similar too) and several new items. And don't get me started on Fire Emblem, the series is not that popular, and we still got four characters in this game, where exactly is that "bias" coming from? Why does is adding stuff okay for any franchise except the ones he worked on?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Literally the only thing I'd say is even close to counting as "bias" from Sakurai's part, is Dark Pit's inclusion. And that's just an effortless clone so it's not like it really matters.

Everything else is just him paying attention to a series like he does any other. I swear, every single time anything Kirby or Kid Icarus gets added people complain about bias, but fact is, those are not even the series that's getting the most attention. (also, never mind that there were a lot of Smash Bros elements in Kid Icarus too, it's only natural for some of those things to make it back on the series that inspired pretty much every single freaking thing in Uprising.)

I mean, really, if Sakurai had ever worked on Zelda, people would be going "BIAS!" at all these new Zelda items. And I don't even want to think what would everyone say had he worked on a Mario game before this game, with two newcomers and a returning character, a huge stage list (with some stages that are pretty darn similar too) and several new items. And don't get me started on Fire Emblem, the series is not that popular, and we still got four characters in this game, where exactly is that "bias" coming from? Why does is adding stuff okay for any franchise except the ones he worked on?
You claimed that dark pit doesn't matter because he's an effortless clone but then count Lucina and Doctor Mario, What?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
They'll mention him by name in a direct but won't tell us why he isn't in the base game?

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
HIGHLY doubt it means anything. Though I do wish they added something like this between Little Mac and Doc Louis.

D

Deleted member

I think it went like this: they decided to not have Snake return, but realized that he had some unique features with his inclusion. So they found ways to reuse some of those features (like the codec thing, or some special moves).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
By the way , for those who say ( and maybe they are true ) " Snake was just mentioned "

Did you Know Nintendo verify a lot the name and exemple they used ? For exemple they can't EVEN mentioned any other thing they don't have the right !

If you see the threehouse game session you will se they can't even do joke or comparaison with other game they don't have the right ! ( This Joke about Bayonneta 2 and Wolverine and everybody said " Huuush ! " " Nooooo ! " and the guy's just say " Oh sorry " )

And correct me if i'm wrong , but the character of Snake is the propriety of Konami/Kojima , they can just take the exemple of the Star Fox communication but no , they choose Snake . Maybe there is something , maybe they ask if they can mention him , maybe there nothing , i don't know ...
Repost of what i think from another thread .

Khao

Smash Lord
You claimed that dark pit doesn't matter because he's an effortless clone but then count Lucina and Doctor Mario, What?
That's... sort of my point.

A lot of people are complaining about "bias" because he's giving Kid Icarus so much attention, when in reality he's doing the exact same thing with other franchises, and in some cases, even more. (like Fire Emblem of all things).

(And by the way, when I said that Dark Pit doesn't "matter," it was me dismissing him as a result of bias, he only got in because of his clone status, not because of his "Sakurai's baby" status.)

If he's biased because of so much Kid Icarus, then he must be biased when it comes to Fire Emblem and Mario too, but where exactly would such a bias be coming from?

The answer's nowhere, because there's no bias in the first place.

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
For those who were wonder about the comments early.
Here's the video they were talking about.

http://youtu.be/owxT2sAOJQw?t=29m24s
(Has the time mark set)

Summed Up
-Will Snake be in the new Smash Bros
-Translator Says "I'm not working on that game but I think it's unlikely
-Kojima interrupts in and translator says "However if sakurai is watching please use snaek"

So obviously snake in the main game was never planned.
But since we know DLC is a thing now. Might have been something brought up.

As I said in the OP while I am still on a low level of thinking he'll return.
I'll always believe.
Kojima interrupting? He's been talking the entire time you idiot

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Kojima interrupting? He's been talking the entire time you idiot
You have some ****ster attitude. I wouldn't mind bouncing you off walls in Temple.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Now that DLC is confirmed, I doubt that Nintendo would stop at Mewtwo. Snake may make his return, but it won't be any time soon.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Now that DLC is confirmed, I doubt that Nintendo would stop at Mewtwo. Snake may make his return, but it won't be any time soon.
Yep, and the Miiverse stage also opens up doors for future stage DLC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom