• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake AGT(potentially new tech?)

Chromewhip

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYA2Mmt0oRg&feature=youtu.be

I've recently been messing around with snake quite a bit, and I've figured out that you can AGT his grenades in very useful ways. Not sure if this is new tech or not, but I have never seen any pro players do this in a match. The most useful one I've found is:

• Grenade Up toss
  • Full hop
  • AGT throw down, momentum up

I found this combo's into almost anything and is a great momentum and defensive option when your opponent has invincibility frames off of a new stock. Another use is if your opponent is hanging on the ledge, you AGT down toss(up momentum), then fall into a retreating Side B(or if you connect Fair for that spike or Bair to cover more air space with a larger hitbox). It is a good option for covering all angles of your opponents getup from the ledge, and is good for messing with your opponents getup reads(if your opponent see's you jump, they might make a quick decision to use the roll getup animation). If you connect with your grenade you can follow up with pretty much anything, because your opponent will get shot upward towards you(similar knockback pattern as connecting with down b). It's best to have your tap jump set to off, as you will want to keep your second jump for potential follow up opportunities.

Other uses of this technique:

Grenade up toss, AGT momentum down(throw forward): This will throw the grenade in a good midrange area in front of snake. It is a good option on the ground as the grenade explodes on ground level, and a great option in the air for edge guarding an opponent with an annoying up B (pikachu, DK, Link Ect.) It is a good kill move at high percents, and good for keep your opponent at a safe distance at lower percents.

If your opponent is at close to mid range, but is shielding: Grenade toss Forward(off your opponent/opponents shield), AGT Up-right/Up left(depending on what side your opponent is), throw down/side(depending on if your opponent rolls or not). This is a more risky maneuver, but it will catch a lot of opponents off guard due to the fact they are just expecting the grenade to explode and have nothing more happen. I've had many opponents panic and either roll, or just full on let go of their shields.

I've also found there is more of a opening to jump quickly into the AGT if you pull out the grenade right before landing. To set this up quickly in game either short hop into grenade(up toss), or when landing pull out the grenade and uptoss it as you land.

Again, keep in mind these are very situational, and require time to setup. I've found these grenade AGT's to be very good mixups to throw your opponents recovery reads, or throw their ground reads completely out the window. I'm a fairly amateur player(been to a couple local tournaments), so I'm not sure how viable at the highest level this technique is. Would love to hear some feedback/critique on the usefulness of this tech.

Edit: Added Video

Last edited:

Chromewhip

Smash Cadet
Can you provide any video footage of this? Sounds interesting.
Uploading a video currently showing some of it's many uses and a guide on how to do all the inputs, I'll post it when it's uploaded.

EDIT: VIDEO IS UP

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
This isn't new, but it's not widely used. I think I've seen Johnny Westside/Unholydeath do some neat edgeguards with this, and sometimes I do it for fun after KOing an opponent, but that's pretty much the extent to which I've previously seen this used.

Chromewhip

Smash Cadet
This isn't new, but it's not widely used. I think I've seen Johnny Westside/Unholydeath do some neat edgeguards with this, and sometimes I do it for fun after KOing an opponent, but that's pretty much the extent to which I've previously seen this used.
ah cool, I had never seen anything online about it, so I figured it was unknown. Good to know it's not a very viable move at the highest level.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
If you are in midair when you up-toss you can jump cancel the toss animation and instantly AGT.

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
If you are in midair when you up-toss you can jump cancel the toss animation and instantly AGT.
that´s so sexy man ...

but in case you don´t have a second jump you can Toss-up the grenade without cooking it and instantly try to use the cypher, you will be in the exact place where the Grenade is exploding and as it´s a grenade is not going to blow you up that far

jfgameboy

Smash Cadet
can it be used as a "third jump"? jump, AGT up, second jump, up b for more recovery?

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
That's not quite how Snake's grenades work. In order for a glide toss to occur you'd have to be already holding the grenade as an item, then you'd have to airdodge and throw (which does give a small boost). When Snake pulls out a grenade, he's also technically "holding the grenade" (which is why it forces other items out of his hand), but he only has his 4 directional throw options, grounded jump, and shield. This means that Snake can't actually do anything but throw the grenade in the air regularly.
I guess if you threw the grenade at an angle such that it rebounded off of the stage in a certain way, you could potentially catch it and AGT it up, but that sounds inconvenient at best; might as well C4 for the recovery or use some other explosive.

EDIT: Actually, the scenario you'd be describing wouldn't be useful for recovery, though it would be possible.

Last edited:

Chromewhip

Smash Cadet
That's not quite how Snake's grenades work. In order for a glide toss to occur you'd have to be already holding the grenade as an item, then you'd have to airdodge and throw (which does give a small boost). When Snake pulls out a grenade, he's also technically "holding the grenade" (which is why it forces other items out of his hand), but he only has his 4 directional throw options, grounded jump, and shield. This means that Snake can't actually do anything but throw the grenade in the air regularly.
I guess if you threw the grenade at an angle such that it rebounded off of the stage in a certain way, you could potentially catch it and AGT it up, but that sounds inconvenient at best; might as well C4 for the recovery or use some other explosive.

EDIT: Actually, the scenario you'd be describing wouldn't be useful for recovery, though it would be possible.

yeah, It's obviously not the most useful tech but it's worth knowing and could throw opponents off for the mixup as it hits mid ranged which is usually not snakes speciality. Often it is better to use other explosives, but if this is something you can hit an opponent with once every 10 games then it's definitely worth learning and knowing about.

Top Bottom