• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYN: Episode 35 (03/02) - All Good Things...

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
This is it. This is the final WEEKLY episode of SMYN. The podcast will attempt to continue in other ways, as we discuss, but this is it for your weekly weekend podcasting source recapping the biggest news in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
But we go out with a BANG! After covering this week's updates, we have a two-and-a-half hour Q&A segment where we answered live questions from some of SMYN's biggest fans! Listen to find out things you didn't know before about SMYN's hosts!
And yes, I am posting it a day early. But it might be a lot to soak in...
It's been an honor to do this on a weekly basis, and we'll definitely be adding new things over time to the SMYN Youtube account over at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SMYNYouko
Be on the lookout for our Video Brawl Review in a few weeks!
Until then, see ya around the boards!

Xeras

Smash Rookie
I would like to say on behalf myself and the community thank you. First of all thank your for giving us a high quality podcast for 35 weeks, thank you for trying to keep in good humor as well as do the same for us during some of the more trying times in this long wait and thank you for wishing to continue in someway with the podcast.

Xeras

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well, I know what I'll be listening to at work tonight. :)

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Great Job Youko. and you to Panda. ^_^

It's wonderful what you've done for us, and infinitely appreciated. Thank you deeply.

I look forward to that future submission video review. =) I'm glad it's not completely the end.

warhead1988

Smash Rookie
Youko Panda Thank You Guys So Freaking much for podcasting! and Giving us so much insight on one game without having played it (till the end! lol) for 35 straight weeks. You guys Really deserve A lot recognition for your doings =] !! I wish you guys the best in future podcasts! Sorry for the bull**** life has thrown at you Youko, but trust me dude Things get better as time goes by! I hope this podcast and feedback really helped out! ..Panda! Dude Your Freaking Awesome!!! Hopefully I can bump into you on wifi! haha! Thanks for all your dedication on behalf of everyone here!!

DQP

Smash Ace
i would just like to say, thank you youko and samuraipanda! i love your podcast and i still will! i don't care if it's monthly , or bimonthly, or every two weeks, i will still love it!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Going out with a TOONLY AWSOME EXPLOSION!!! (with Pigs!)

Sticker Brush Symphony is awsome. I had it as Bramble Blast, and was scratching my head going "I KNOW THIS SONG FROM DONKEY KONG COUNTRY, BUT FROM WHICH ONE!?!?!" Thanks for reminding me it's from Donkey Kong Country 2, Youko. That song IS the theme of the Donkey Kong (Country) in my mind, and along with the Airship theme, two Zelda main themes, and Angel Island Zone remixes, it is my favorite remix.

Actually, it's the best out of any of those. That song IS Donkey Kong (Country) to me, just like how the Legend of Zelda main theme IS Legend of Zelda to me, Butter Building and Gourmet Race are Kirby to me, Elect man, several Megaman 2 songs, and the Megaman: Battle Network 3 songs are Megaman to me, the Super Mario Bros. level 1-1, 1-2, Airship theme, and Super Mario Bros. main theme are Mario to me, Brinstar is Metroid to me, Onett and Fourside are EarthBound to me, Mute City is F-Zero to me, and

Shelda was too good. Tooda should be next. Zero Hat Ness was teh pwnz. Zero Visor Captain Falcon. Actually, I'm coining a new term. Zero Soul Link.
*hint: Dark Link outfit*
Zero Soul TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK ftw! :)

As for a Smash Bros. movie/anime (show), give it goo voice actors, a good story, etc. and you're done. If you don't get any of those, don't make it. And ya, I DEFINITELY MUST SEE the live action Dragon Ball movie. I saw Pirates 3 and Spiderman 3 on opening night, lol. I might do the same, but go with more friends, instead of just one, two, or three.

The only taunts I can think of right now are "I'M TOO[N] POWERFUL!" "TOO[N] AWSOME, EH?", "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A TOO[N]", "HIYAAAAHHHHE!!!", "TOO TOONY TO BEAT!", "TOO cute!" (for Dedede), etc. Ya, I <3 TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK. Probably TOO[N] much! :laugh:

Cosplay. IDK, I sorta look like Luigi, but I don't have mustache, and my hair color is quite a bit lighter. If I was to cosplay (which seems random to me), I'd do Ness, because he's easy. And because I <3 my Ness. I actually look quite a bit like Toon Link, except my hair is sort of wavy. But meah, I'm DEFINITELY not into cosplaying.

I actually think Zelda's music could have been MUCH better. Take out all those Ocarina songs that aren't the Ocarina Medley or from Melee, and add the final boss music from Ocarina of Time, the Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. And we should have gotten the Four Swords Adventure remix of A Link to the Past's opening theme. BEST. ZELDA. SONG. EVER. EVER. EVER! Seriously, that song DEFINES THE SERIES better then the main theme, by far.

As for MOTHER, Battle with the Masked Man, Sanctuary (the 8 Sound Stones Songs [MOTHER 2/EarthBound]), the 8 Sacred Stone Songs (MOTHER 1), and the LEGENDARY Smiles and Tears were cut, and they would have repped MOTHER PERFECTLY! Along with the Onett theme, and Fourside. Onett and Fourside...I have these tracks of them orchestrated (I just downloaded them today/yesterday), and they are some of the most beatiful tracks I've ever heard in my life! (they are orchestrated) I heard the Fourside one just a while ago for the second tiem, and I HAD TO GET IT, and was lucky enough to find more of these songs! :)

They might be from the album of MOTHER 2 (EarthBound), but whereever they are from, they are just too beatiful. They would fit smash perfectly, and they define both locations PERFECTLY, just through the music. Onett's beginning of a adventure, and the big complicated politically corrupt run metropolis of Fourside under Gigyas and Porkey's grasp. Seriously, it explains the game. Why

As for the Zelda best series games, Twilight Princess > Ocarina of Time = A Link to the Past > the Wind Waker > Majora's Mask > Link's Awakening > the Legend of Zelda > Zelda II: The Adventures of Link > Minish Cap > Oracles of Seasons = Oracles of Ages > Four Swords Adventures > Four Swords. Yet to REALLY dive into Phantom Hourglass.

The Zelda game with the most impact is probably either the original, Zelda II (actually, it probably impacted smash more then any other game, along with Super Mario Bros. 1-3+World), or A Link to the Past. Ocarina's combat system is really revolutionary, but it took Super Smash Bros., Super Smash Bros. Melee, and the MMORPG genre to really top A Link to the Past in content.

Get Brawl a month early (before Japan)...maybe. Actually, I'd rather ask Sakurai (that is recorded) with a translator, and ask him the "hard" questions. It's a once in a lifetime experience. I can Brawl whenever I want, for eternity.

1. Why were all characters cut (mainly on Mewtwo, and somewhat on Roy)?
2. Why this roster.
3. Why do certain series have more reps then others, when other series are bigger then certain series
4. TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK is the best character in the game. Agreed?
5. WHO IS GOD'S NAME EVEN PLAYS BIG BLUE!?!?!?

MAYYYYBE "Why Wolf?", "Why did you say "up until now" on Ness when he was going to return?", or "Why no Ridley?"

TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK is in Brawl. Mario is in Brawl. Luigi is in Brawl. Diddy Kong is in Brawl. Wario is in Brawl. TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK is in Brawl. Did I mention TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK? XD My life is complete.

TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK is my main. That is a fact. Write it down. TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK is what I refer to him as. He's my character! MINE! He is my main. No debates. TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK is a good choice, Youko. ;) HE IS GOD! GOD! Actually, God's are his b****es, so he is a GOD's GOD! :laugh:

Big characters. Maybe a few big (name) characters back in the day (Balloon Fighter, Game and Watch, R.O.B., Pit, Ness, etc.), but big characters are the best. But more variety is nice. But represent new and old series about equally, at least. The Game and Watch, Kid Icarus, and Balloon Fight IPs would be nice if they returned.

Because Sakurai is a Star Fox fanboy, and hates Metroid Prime. He put in Wolf over Ridley. There is a awsome limit? TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK is in! :chuckle: Although, Ridley appears in
classic and meta-Ridley
form(s), you fight him
times, and Ridley appears in
forms.

Sorry SamuraiPanda, I don't think Survivor allows Catanas THAT BIG! :laugh:

BLAST F***ING TOISE, and then Mewtwo. And then Charizard. Then probably Deoxys. O, and Paras and Parasect. :cool:

I like pigs most, since that is what TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK likes! (to pick up and throw) :laugh:

Boxers or breifs? Pfft....
bras!

:laugh:

Randomness ftw!

TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK'S MOTHER F***ING BACK AIR, B****ES!

Mewtwo...give him Psi Beam as a forward B, have his sheild bubble explosion be his down B, and make his final smash a psychic explosion. Whoever made Mewtwo was obviously drunk. His down smash should be a huge explosion on the ground, and only Bowser should weight more.

TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK wins by default of AWSOMENESS!!! :laugh:

Knuckles...KNUCKLES!!! I would wait like 4 months AT LEAST! Knuckles is teh awsomez! :laugh: For Mewtwo, I'd wait an eternity. Actually, I already am waiting an eternity.

Tom Brady. Brett Farve=BLEAH!

Wrestling? If you mean UFC or Pride, YEEESSSSSS!!! Otherwise, no! XD Bone Saw vs. Buzz Saw FTW! :laugh:

Talents? I MAIN TOO[N] F***ING AWSOME YOUNG LINK! :laugh: O, and Basketball. >_> Also, I can open doors with my feet.

Mega64...Super Mario Bros. 3 one FTW! XD Though the Resident Evil 4 Stranger one LITERALLY made me laugh so hard I cried! And the Hitman one was hilarious. They get arrrested for dressing up as "The Stranger (Salesmen)" from Resident Evil 4, yet don't have s*** happen to them when they "kill" people in the Hitman one. WTF, mate?

Sariku or Cyberlink? Johnknightone and TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG WINS!!!

Johnknightone and TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK=AWSOME!

A mix of Saffron City, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land 64('s balance), Mute City, Delfino Plaza, and Rainbow Ride/Cruise mixed together. It'd be a moving stage, lol!

Wolf is cool, but Krystal's moveset is a lot more unique. Wolf is nothing new. He's just old stuff. No more females=lame. Too many villians in smasn now, lol! Yet no f***ing Ridley.

Mudkipzzz can die. I drown them, thanks to a certain someone! >_> Swampert and mudkip fail. It is all about Treecho, Groovle, and especially Sceptile! And Deoxys! >_>

Simple and Clean...was good.

No, Brawl IS NOT! Sakurai says he wants to make more, and isn't bored with the series. He wants to make more. Nintendo wants more. Everything points at Sakurai making the next Smash Bros. game, and announcing it within the next 3 (or 4) years.

Gerudo Valley? How about we cut that song, and put in The Final Boss Battle theme with Ganon in Ocarina of Time done by Dragon Force! :laugh:

Super Power....turning into TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK!!! :laugh:

Favorite Youtube video? Probably the one with Darth Vader making racist jokes in Star Wars Episode IV. Twas' teh awzomez! :) Or something with TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK, or made by me! :laugh:

Computer games....Medival: Total War II, Counter-Strike (especially), Half-Life 2 (like 3 of them; none of the episode ones, though), ROMs, etc. I don't play computer games too much, though I play and have a lot of ROMs (probably in the thousands). A ton of games I own, plus a ton of Japan-only games, basically. Sports games!?!?!? The NES was my first console. Super Mario Bros. 3. My first game, and favorite non-smash game.

"ALL CLOCKS!" - piffman "Rock the ICEBURG!" -cyberlink. Epic Sarcasm with Gimpyfish. "This is the Home Button. This is where I live!" - Mic Talking about Halloween Costumes with Coldbusman. Talking crap about "~His Knightlyness Himself~" ...o wait, that never happened! XD But he did see a enemy from Megaman: Battle Network 4, that was actually from Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. Ya, they TOTALLLY jacked that from Megaman: Battle Network 4, even if it came out only a couple months before. Too bad Megaman: Battle Network 4 is the worst game in the series. "Zero Hat Ness" - Youko "Shelda." - Youko "Deconfirmed isn't a word." - SamuraiPanda. We have A TON of good moments, and good quotes. >_<

Random stuff. You talk about random stuff? All we talked about what we saw in Brawl E for All Subspace Emisssary videos beforehand, and what we were impressed with. I think I talked about Diddy Kong's pwnage. His pwnage was amazing. It consumed me. In fact, it owns a part of MY SOUL!

Scorpion is awsome. I loved him in the N64 Mortal Kombat game I liked, although I had played Mortal Kombat on the SNES.

The best question is/was "c@n U d0 @ b@rr3l r011111 (and use h@xxxor555)?!!?!??!??"

I would kill Sariku, just to kill Sariku. Nah, nah, jk!
Actually, I would only kill him to get that SamuraiPanda Mii he sent me, IF AND ONLY IF I didn't have it. It's SOOOO AWSOME! I should make that my Brawl avatar.

A SMYN appearance/guest thing tournament would be intresting. Johnknightone and his TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK would win.

Owch, a real life question.

Wide Reciever. Even if I used to pitch. >_>

64 friends. That sucks. I already have like 25, without real life friends. (which almost doubles that) >_>

I'm down with listening to the podcast monthly. All good things must come to an end, except for Smash. Smash is FOREVER! But when good things end, other good things take their place.

Clicks. I'm in all of them. I go to a HUGE High School. I literally hang out with some of the most popular people, and then hang out with nerds. Maybe because I'm just chill, relax, easy going, and say "XD" outloud a lot! (even though I don't) :laugh: And I wavedash to school, and do barrel rolls to turn off in the streets!

Big names, or do something specials. No more guests. :( piffman was a GREAT GUESTS! All guests were good, though. Too bad we didn't get to see Blackadder vs. piffman, or Johnknight1 vs. coldbusman vs. Blackadder. :(

GameStop tournament...maybe. Online SMYN tournaments. SWEETNESS! TOO[N] AWSOME YOUNG LINK SHALF PWN!

If Meta Knight was a Pokémon, he'd evolve into Darth Vader!

:laugh:

Pit's voice is kinda bad. Ike's is the same as his normal voice,and is actually good. But his linese are like "WTF?" some of the time. zOMG11!!!! Falco is from Brooklyn cunfurmed1!!111!!111!!!

Disappointed with Pit and Ike? Ike was great! Pit was okay. Falco was AWSOME, and much better then Fox. Fox is still cool, but not that cool. Falco's voice actor is much better.

Look out for everyone, "I fight for my friends." In Japanese, he probably SCREAMS IT, like they are going to die. Ike sounds British sort of, which is how he should accurately sound.

All good things must come to an end. But the end, is really just a new beginning! :) You know why the end is a new beginning? Because I fight for my friends.

"The monkey wants to hug him!" "Ken Combo" HAHA, TOO GOOD! :laugh: Almost as good as "GET IN THE CHOPPER!!!" :laugh:

Good run. Good podcast. Every smash forum I went to was either HEAVILY INFLUENCED by SMYN, or was big on it. Smashboards, IGN's Brawl discussion, GameSpot's Brawl discusison, Smash Neuxus, Brawl Central, Smash Dash, Youtube('s Brawl discussion) (even), and so on. This podcast has been listened to by thousands of people, and has impacted Smash forums all around the world, and the internet. It even has impacted forums and sites not revolving around smash, like Starmen.net quite a bit. I don't think we'll ever know just HOW MUCH it impacted smash fans, and even non-smash fans across the net, and across the world. And you know what, I was glad to contribute, as little as I did! Thanks for all the memories, a good times, and the laughs.

And I'm glad that it'll be a monthly thing. All good things must come to an end. But, other good things must come and take their place. The end, is in reality, just a new beginning. A new beginning to pwn mother f***ers as TOO[N] F***ING AWSOME YOUNG LINK ONLINE VIA WI-FI!!! :) O, and I don't liek mudkipzzz, but I liek long p05tzzz!!! :laugh:

I don't think we'll ever know how much this podcast effected smash and non-smash communities around the net, and the globe, EVER! Once another (console) smash bros. game comes around, I hope to see SMYN return to it's epic awsomeness that is was "up until now"! (good luck with that hard work then, though; if you do it) :)

the_sliver

Smash Rookie
I've only been a Smashboards member for a short time but I just listened to your podcast and have to say I'm impressed and saddened that I could only catch the end of it... :(

I look forward to any non-weekly podcasts to come!

MidnightVintage

Smash Rookie
...Must Come To An End

Ever since I joined these forums I've dled most of your podcasts. Thanks for all your hard work and this includes Samurai Panda as well. Looking forward to your video podcasts. (Hopefully there will be little to no problems with the sound =p)
What an epic easter egg btw. It was exactly like the original right down to the incomprehensible lyrics. Any hope for you guys posting up your versions' lyrics?

-eMVy

CrossX

Smash Apprentice
Big props youko, thanks to your podcasts I've been able to not kill myself over waiting for brawl. I've also gained a lot of insight into the game, or as much as I already didn't have. lol me and my gf usually listen to your podcast and talk about it right afterwards, it killed the boredem. Its nice to see people intelligently discuss a game such as SSBB, so big thanks to you, youko and samurai panda as well. Shame I didn't get to ask questions, but I forgot when to join in order to do so. Well anyways, I'm off to listen to your final podcast. Once again, great job guys.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
My major disappointments with the soundtrack are the bad choice for Norfair (seriously, why not lower Norfair from Super Metroid, aka Magmoor Caverns), the lack of Majora's Mask music, and no music from Fire Emblem 4 (the best soundtrack in the series, most who have played it will agree). Majora's Mask has a highly underrated soundtrack; I would have really liked to include Stone Tower or Deku Palace. Oh well.

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. I think it's the best Zelda in most aspects - the best town in the series (clock town is very big, full of life and people with their own schedules and all sorts of stuff to do), excellent music, the best characters by far (it's not even close), a great atmosphere, a fairly original and well-done story, plenty of variety in the gameplay with the masks and elemental arrows that actually get used in puzzles. Even the dungeons are great. There are only four major ones, but there's plenty in between them (including mini-dungeons), and the dungeons that are there are big, complex, clever, and very well-done (Woodfall is simple, but even that is a big step up from a typical first dungeon), especially Stone Tower.

All the major items and the songs are carried over from one three-day cycle to the next; just reset time before you start a major task like a dungeon. Do you know about the inverted song of time? Playing the song of time backwards slows the clock down a lot, giving somewhere between two or three times as much time before the world ends. That gives you plenty of time to get something done. The time system is absolutely essential to the game's atmosphere and to the characterization of the NPCs.

Twilight Princess is probably my least favorite 3D Zelda, though still a good game. There are some cool dungeons, but there's not enough to do outside of them, and the story doesn't flow that well IMO (after the third dungeon, it doesn't feel like there's any real threat to Hyrule). It's also too easy in general, though Wind Waker has the same problem.

tvieth01

Smash Cadet
if u guys do monthly podcast make it like 10 hrs long to make up 4 it. I'm gonna need something to listen to

DOGE

Smash Rookie
just finished

just finished, and man, im sad. :(:(:( im really gonna miss you guys, but that means even more too look forward to. and btw
the easter egg was awsome and epic, great way to finish it off. any chance of a mp3 in the future?
. anyhoo, you guys are great, and probably every ones going to miss these weekly episodes.

p.s.: thx for the link to the decoder, that should help.

ZeldaSheik

Smash Cadet
dude! did you remix that interlude between the roundtable and the livemailtime! It was so cool!
good job once again!

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
...That was just the final boss/FD music from Brawl, lol. But...thanks?

~Mii~

Smash Rookie
Awesome. Epic. Hilarious. Awesome.

Seriously, Falco is Bronx-ian, Ike is like some motivational speaker/therapist, Meta Knight is Vader, and Pit is a girl.

BTW, you should have sung Ashleys song. :lick:

Guys, do you find if I put some of your vids and podcasts on my new, uncompleted website? I will give credit. (Link: http://www.freewebs.com/quozacto/index.htm)

davidhudgin

Smash Rookie
I've been listening since episode 29 i think. I can't thank you guys enough for the work you've put into this. I look forward to it every weekend.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
YAY we were mentioned again! And just so you know, I can beat Buzz a lot more now with my Wolf. RAWR!!!

Sugar, Wolf is stealing my "main heart" more and more the more times I play this game...is that a good thing? Hahaha.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm waiting for SP to post about a wolf burst into your place and ripped out your heart soon. Also Buzz posting that Sugar's gone missing. Connection perhaps? ;)

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sugar, Wolf is stealing my "main heart" more and more the more times I play this game...is that a good thing? Hahaha.
LOL Yeah... I am falling in love with wolf. :D But... not as much as Buzz, but its very very close. Bwaha!

I can't wait to play you and Samurai Panda!

SP/Buzz vs. SP/Youko. LOL

MSS

Smash Cadet
"Personally I prefer the end" while that is what it sounds like to me too, I believe he actually says "Personally I prefer the air" which makes sense as he states that in the SF games, but it's stupid for him to say that because he's using the landmaster anyway....

EDIT: after reading the other replies I see that someone already stated that...so..um...how about that guy that wants you to do a 10 hour podcast..haha I'm sure that's exactly what you want to do.

Top Bottom