• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYN: Episode 13 (9/30) - Trophies at Dawn

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Could this have been the lowest week in terms of updates yet? Show Me Your News! doesn’t think so, as it rolls out a NEW season with a NEW segment in the LONGEST EPISODE TO DATE!

Two Final Smashes, Trophies, and Tournament Mode are discussed in addition to a Brawl Viewpoint on Alternate Costumes! Plus, “Roundtable” guest stars SamuraiPanda along with Youko in an unscripted discussion about their hopes for Brawl, Online, and Snake’s effect on Nintendo’s company relations!

Sariku

Smash Master
Everyone who's anyone has to listen to this episode. Youko did a great job on the rundown, and accually stated a few things I didn't notice, like the names on Controllers thing.

Roundtable was awesome. If Youko could of gotten his voice alittle clearer it would be far more amazing, but still, it's a no miss thing. Great job Panda, great to hear someone elses opinions.

The Brawl Viewpoint wasn't made the best, but did expand on the idea many of us had. Though I'd still be disappointed to see Wolf just as a "color change" so say. Still, great job!

The Easter Egg... I cried Youko. Make it downloadable and I will Tatoo the lyrics to my chest.

Florida

イーグランツ
Season 2! Very awesome!
I can't think of anything to stall the introduction with-- so I'll just go straight on into the review!

The Rundown:

Wow, a new theme to start off the season! Excellent remix of the Main Theme, might I say!

Sep. 26 Wed. 2007:

Mr. Resetti would've made a lovely Animal Crossing representative for the character roster. Sure he's only came out of his hole in the movie, but he, what's not to like? What's even worse than Resetti not making the cut, is that the Smash Bros. team came out with a lousy use for him! Does he do anything that helps out his summoner?

At least it's nice to get some speculating-worthy screen shots. Such as the eighth screen, where Mario is doing hin... fair? No clue what's going on there, we already have confirmation of Mario's fair returning from Melee! Maybe there's a new aerial smash move? Who knows.

And I think your friend put it nicely, "another Goldeen... that lecture" is almost the perfect way to put it! And DOES Resetti put nearby characters to sleep? Sakurai would've told us about that feature, most likely. Pikachu and Kirby being asleep was probably manually done to fit the setting (of a boring lecture). They could've easily of been put to sleep by Bellosom, or even Jigglypuff(?).

Sep. 25 Tue. 2007:

Probably one of the lamest and most unoriginal Final Smashes to come, Diddy combines two of his special moves to create the "ultimate weapon".... Lame. Diddy Kong using his infamous guitar as his Final Smash would've been "cloning" Donkey Kong's, sure; but it'd still be a hella lot more satisfying that what we got.

Sep. 27 Thu. 2007:

Two Final Smash duo updates was indeed a surprise. But it still would've been better if Diddy's wasn't so ********. But I guess that Pokémon Trainer's pimping FS makes up for that. This is probably my favorite Final Smash to come, I mean, it's just plain awesome! Icing on the cake-- Ivysaur standing on front two legs. Cherry on top-- "It's super effective!".

I was personally expecting to see Mewtwo has Red's Final Smash, due to their connection in the Magna (and also so that Mew had higher chances :laugh:), but this version is at least something that I can live with.

By the way, we still have yet to see some veterans such as C. Falcon, Ness, Luigi, Jiggs, etc. before we get some Newcomers (possibly).

Sep. 25 Mon. 2007:

The trophies update seemed like something nice to start the week off. It got all of those rumors of trophies not returning shunned out of the way. It sparked off some speculation of some new characters that we might / might not see in the playable roster. Such as, as you mentioned, Captain Olimar due to the generic game enemy seen in the background.

And, I still agree, wagering trophies / stickers / anything collectable over WiFi play would be just stupendous!

Sep. 28 Fri. 2007:

Two game modes, not even being related to the Subspace Emissary at the least, ended a week with a disappointment. Seriously, where's my Captain Falcon?

What makes the update even more ridiculous is how Sakurai seemed amazed with what he was presenting. It was in Melee, not much improvements have been made from the look of it, so what's the big deal?

Although, like always, this boring update gave us some back-up information in the screen shots. In the back we can see Zelda's head... pixel, thing. Anyways, it has a purple tiara on it. Alternate colors for the win? Also we see that the Wiimotes store information function turned out to be a success.

RoundTable

Oo, I'm so excited!
But what's up with the muffled recording? :(

Knuckles and Krystal, SamuraiPanda? Krystal I can agree with, but Knuckles I can't agree with. But I guess it's like as you said, we all have our wants that probably will never make it in. Take my choice for example, Mew. Cute as hell, but entirely low chances.

Sonic and Ridley is a reasonable wanting pair. They both have really high chances, and will most likely make a PC's appearance in Brawl. As for Minda + Wolf Link, I seriously don't see how'd it work; but hey, if Sakurai could work out something understandable, I'm all for it!

Brawl seems like it will differ from Melee quite a bit. Maybe not in what they've removed, but in what they've changed and added. I'm also for the "feel" of the game to be different than what is was in Melee, as well.

Brawl's stages are looking awesome, if you ask me. As you said, SamuraiPanda, they've got the simple style, yet the complete originality to it. Take Yoshi's Island for example, seems simple enough, but I can't wait to play on that stage, it just really stands out to me! Lylat Cruise is another good example; simple structure, yet an AMAZING and detailed background. There's really not much more to want!

As for Brawl not paying attention to Metroid Prime: Who knows, maybe Samus's alternate color / costume could be her new suit from Corruption. ;)

And I wouldn't be all to confident of Sonic's inclusion (although I don't doubt that either). There's always the possibility that Sega won't lend the rights to Nintendo to use their character in one of their games... which (I admit) would suck.

The best music update so far, coming from my view, are:

1. Kid Icarus' Underworld Theme
2. MGS4's Love Theme
3. Revamped Menu 1

Items? Items?Items?ITEMS?!?!?
I love items!

The items in this game are looking fabulous! I couldn't be more pleased with what they've done to the items play. Some new items were predictable and appropriate (such as the banana peel), while others were unexpected and plain whacky (AT, BUMPER (hell yeah), etc.).

The exploding crates and barrels IS the only thing that kept items from being in competitive tournaments. Sure they spawned randomly, but they weren't as unexpected as being exploded! Either way, I'll be using items in my gameplay (exploding crates, or not). Hint at sig ;)

Online? Online?Online?ONLINE?!?!?
I want more items discussion :(

Lol @ how you described WiFi connection.

Online play wasn't really "confirmed" before the update, all that they said that they would try to get it in. TRY. Since the E3 conference, where they discussed some future online games, and since they didn't mention anything about Brawl; THAT'S how some people began to doubt. I myself signed that petition ;)

WiFi needs to be more detailed, though. We need options for almost everything that can be customed in a match, such as items, stage selection, amount of players, TEAMS, etc.

"Friend mode" XD
I'm personally O.K. with friend codes, I really don't see anything to complain about, when there's over 70,000 members here at Smashboards xD

That was an awesome edition of the RoundTable! I can see much success with this in the podcast-- keep it up guys!

Brawl Viewpoint:

I agree with you on how costumes should alternate into actual costumes in some occasions, instead of colors. Although, we've already gotten a hint of alternate colors returning, in the Tourney update to be exact. As I explained above, we see Zeld'a logo wearing a purple tiara. Alternate costume? Maybe, seems more like just a color to me.

But if alternate costumes DO make a functionality in Brawl, here's what I'm thinking:

1. Mario
- Dr. Mario

2. Peach
- Daisy

3. Captain Falcon
- Blood Falcon

4. Pikachu
- Pichu

5. Fox
- James (his dad)

6. Link
- Fierce D.

But, that's all that I can think of really. It'd be an awesome idea, but it'd be limited, with only a few possibilities. But with your suggestions, it's a little too much to make an alternate costume a COMPLETELY different character. Yoshi - Birdo? Ike - Black Knight? It shouldn't happen.

Anyways, good job!

Easter Egg:

... what is it? LOL XD
Sounds excellent, though!

(is that you singing?)

Suggestions:

I feel that MAILTIME is a good section to replace say "Show Yourself". And RoundTable is an excellent segment as well, keep them both! Also, since you asked for views on it, SamuraiPanda should definitely pair up with you for Mailtime! ;)

Amazing edition to SMYN, and a super way to start off the second season! Can't wait for next week! Great job everyone!

Florida

イーグランツ
i loved it man. all i wanna ask is...

Is it only you and Panda doing the Roundtable, cause, if at all possible, i would love to do a segment with you guys
THAT would be truely amazing!
Maybe they could do something where they have the inclusion of another smasher every other episode of RoundTable?!

The Director

Smash Lord
Worst week? Possibly.

Was this week the worst week since we've gotten the updates? Possibly. It's hard to say, since we got 2 great final smashses and everything else was ****.

I'll tell you one thing for sure though, the tourny update had to be the second worst update...right behind banana peel.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
On the ooccoo comment, it doesn't just take you out of the dungeon, it creates a transport thing where you can leave the dungeon and enter it at the EXACT point you left at. A wallmaster won't let you return to the EXACT point it caught you... Sorry, I'm a big Zelda fanso I just had to let that out.

Eyemeralds

Smash Rookie
Smash should be like Halo 3..

..that is to live up to what was expected and that being a good thing. I liked the Alternate Costume talk, that being about having different attires that just a different color scheme the whole time. The only thing that could erupt from this is the fact that evolution costumes may be not taken up, but with the introduction of the different sizes of Pokemon in the 4 gen., then it might have a shot.

Having two Smashes introduced in the same week didn't really affect me for Diddy's really wasn't original that much shocking, but it's better than having some copy guitar thing similar to Donkey's. Pokemon Trainer didn't suprise me and it did complete their astonishing 4 Special moves(b, up-b, side-b, and final for all), and the tourney(Hey, they made it, I think we should respect that or not play dammit!) did leave some aspiring ideas with it on how it may work differently in Brawl and if it will be in Wi-Fi.

Trophies were fun, but when it felt the most limit less, you were done in about a month(work out your schedual). The weirdest thing I ever did with a trophie before Brawl was pretend it made some Mighty Smash on the opponents after the fight after deducing how many times I was racked up to 200%, then multiply by that by how many times I reached that, then randomly(with teh dice) see which ones I would use and combine for ultimate desimastion. Don't ask how I work with Pikmin and Waluigi on Pikachu worked, but Pikachu's cap turned Purple then his tail shined and smacked Pikmin at the opponents and , depending on color, did an astonishing effect. Good times, good times...

Mr. Resseti was probably a little happiness rained on people. I kind of thought what would happen on Castle Seige when you release him in the castle and the ground breaks. " Darn you Snake, make me come out here just to make me meet my demise. Mario, this is your fualt to! If you havn't picked on poor Pikachu, then I would be in this mess!!" said the tumbling mole.:p

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Awesome new main theme!
I love that tune from brawl, and I like your version.
Any chance to get it as MP3/Ogg? ^^;

Anyway, I really like the podcasts and I enjoyed this episode the most.
Keep up the good work. ^^

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
could you talk about possible final smashes for characters who haven't got them like fox's, Zelda's and peach's

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
since fox already have a FS we all know it by now....right......
and don't care about Zelda...:p
Peach ok so how about hearts since all her attacks in the past games were hearts...
but still i can't wait for it:urg:

SmashBrosLover3918

Smash Journeyman
i think the characters that have been released are starter characters, characters like luigi, jigglypuff, falcon and so on will be secret characters that sakarai will not tell us about. my thought anyway...

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
he probally wont tell about the secret characters until the game is out. i cant wait to see about the wifi edition when the game comes out.
im a big fan of sega and nintendo characters. im happy they started teaming up and sakria (srry for spelling) is definitly at least putting in sonic( and hopefully shadow).
DEAL WIT IT PEOPLE OR DONT PLAY AS HIM, SIMPLE ISNT IT??????:chuckle:

im actually listening to the podcast right now. YOU have alot of great opinions.
its really good. ive been really good wit mewtwo so (at least what im thinking his moves are:confused:) ill be good with shadow.

NICE PODCAST KEEP MAKING THEM. :)

Top Bottom