• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smooth lander- the one custom equipment that should be legal

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Was told to take a look at the default Protection and Agility badges to help balance out the huge buff everyone gets on the Attack stats from the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge. I believe they come by default unlocked, if so that's a plus. The stats are shown here:

Smooth Lander Brawn Badge
+36 Attack
-35 Defense

Default Protection Badge
+21 Defense
-14 Speed

Default Agility Badge
+21 Speed
-14 Attack

End Result
Attack : +22
Defense : -14
Speed : +7

What do you guys think about that setup. Better than just one Smooth Lander by itself?
IMO Muro's build 2 is the best, because they are not random and they cancel pretty much all the stats

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
IMO Muro's build 2 is the best, because they are not random and they cancel pretty much all the stats
For build 2 how do you unlock the Item Hitter Agility Badge and the Moon Launcher Protection Badge? If it is as easy to unlock as the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge then I can take a look at what it does and how it effects gameplay. If it deals with grinding and randomly getting it then I'll have to say no for now. It does say on his thread that two hammers are needed but which challenges are they? Also no Heavy Gravity. I can't nerf recoveries or simple jumping the way Heavy Gravity does.

We want players to be able to practice at home quick and easy, while making it just as easy for the Wii U setups to be ready with the equipment/custom setup for each character when the tournament is happening.

Link to Muro's builds incase others are wondering: http://smashboards.com/threads/smoo...-info-videos-and-gameplay-impressions.383506/

Last edited:

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Was told to take a look at the default Protection and Agility badges to help balance out the huge buff everyone gets on the Attack stats from the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge. I believe they come by default unlocked, if so that's a plus. The stats are shown here:

+36 Attack
-35 Defense

Default Protection Badge
+21 Defense
-14 Speed

Default Agility Badge
+21 Speed
-14 Attack

End Result
Attack : +22
Defense : -14
Speed : +7

What do you guys think about that setup. Better than just one Smooth Lander by itself?
^ This is the setup I use as well when I play with smooth lander. It is the most consistent and easiest setup...Characters die faster which means more stocks will be an option in future play.It feels really good to play

Edit: Some Smooth Lander Frame data a Smash Youtuber by the name of Smash Pit has started posting
Mew2 , Bowser , Fox , Sheik , Falco , Mario , Marth and Lucina , Captain Falcon , Donkey Kong , JigglyPuff , Charizard , Kirby , Mr. G&W

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Hmmmm this is super interesting. I haven't had the chance to jack with it, but it sounds promising especially since things can be balanced out. I honestly believe that like customs this could go somewhere.

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
I'm back with some news!

We have plans to do a Smooth Lander only tournament to help showcase the effects of Smooth Lander in tournament. It should be happening in a few months. The date and rules will be discussed at a later time, but it is happening. I'm not sure but I think we maybe the first. I could be wrong. Either way... GET HYPE

Here's our practice/test stream we did today for Smash 4 tournaments: http://www.twitch.tv/wacosmash/b/661187507?t=5m48s

And Lansharx's channel that we will also be streaming on: http://www.twitch.tv/lansharxgaming/b/661187495?t=5m48s

Special thanks to Lansharx for letting us host our Smash tournaments at their venue, and for letting us stream at their location.

Hopefully we can get nearby cities interested in entering since we are in between Austin, TX and Dallas, TX.

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
Any thoughts on a Smooth Lander only tournament? Has anyone tried it before?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
@ z7x9r0 z7x9r0 : no experience hosting a tournament yet but please let me know how it goes. I really enjoy all the experimentation we're trying to do with custom moves and equipment.

@ SaturnFrost SaturnFrost : I was about to say the same thing. If we wanna keep it consistent among all setups and not just have everybody use their own build, I still think build 1 is the best. It's the easiest to get because it requires only one hammer as opposed to three, and having the possibility of faster play with more damage and thus more stocks is appealing to me as well. I'll gladly play with two stocks but I prefer 3 as I feel that gives both players enough wiggle room to really understand the matchup and play at their best.

My only concern is that until datel steps up with an action replay for wii u, I don't see a smooth lander meta working with customs right now. That might change depending on if people want to transfer their own sets via 3ds (in which case we might want to look at even more equipment options) or if we want to have a vanilla smooth lander meta game.

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
One thing that concerns me is that equipment can be fed to amiibos. I know a few players in my area that fed the default equipment to their amiibos when they first got them without knowing they don't get the equipment back. This made me wonder if the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge by itself would be good enough for players to use and practice with in case other had done the same.

I've even collected a few different players together for rounds of friendlies with one Smooth Lander Brawn Badge attached to each character. Something I found interesting is that those who played Melee and Project M in our community said that they actually preferred playing this way.

We're planning the Smooth Lander tournament some time either late September, or early October in Waco, TX.

I'll be editing a video together to post on YouTube on how to unlock the Smooth Lander Badge. I'll make it short and straight to the point. I'll post here again when I get more details about the tournament.

Other than just the Austin and Dallas FB Group pages, where else should we share the tournament details that could help us have a great turn out. I know Mew2King asked about Smooth Lander back in December (Link: https://www.facebook.com/mewtwoking/posts/908269709191498) and Smash Pit's YouTube channel made videos of the frame difference with and without the badge (Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UX2wtO5EzYT9lI-CLkUcg) so we know there are people interested in trying it out. Any chance any big names would come out since I am not aware of any other community hosting a tournament this way?

Again our community is located in the Waco, TX area.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
We're planning the Smooth Lander tournament some time either late September, or early October in Waco, TX.

I'll be editing a video together to post on YouTube on how to unlock the Smooth Lander Badge. I'll make it short and straight to the point. I'll post here again when I get more details about the tournament.

Other than just the Austin and Dallas FB Group pages, where else should we share the tournament details that could help us have a great turn out. I know Mew2King asked about Smooth Lander back in December (Link: https://www.facebook.com/mewtwoking/posts/908269709191498) and Smash Pit's YouTube channel made videos of the frame difference with and without the badge (Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UX2wtO5EzYT9lI-CLkUcg) so we know there are people interested in trying it out. Any chance any big names would come out since I am not aware of any other community hosting a tournament this way?

Again our community is located in the Waco, TX area.
Have you contacted tourneylocator yet? I know you're handling the stream but maybe they could help you get the word out. Texas is a big state so idk how close they are to you :)

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
I haven't contacted Tourney Locator but that's a good idea since they are here in Texas I believe. Being in between Austin and Dallas should help the turn out for sure.

My only worry is having no one talk about it or test the Smooth Lander Badge out and not prefer it.

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
I'm going to record a match I had with another Smash player using the Badge with a capture card and post it on YouTube. See what you guys think of the effects. I'll try to do it today if I don't have any distractions..

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
If Tourney Locator tried having a tournament with the Smooth Lander equipment, that would be really cool and would increase interest in the equipment by a lot.

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
Next question is should we have customs with the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge? Some players in our area seem to be 50/50 on whether or not we should have them in the tournament. What do you guys think?

I also wonder if 3 stocks 7 minutes is enough for these kind of matches

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I think a Smooth Lander tournament could be a nice experiment tournament to show how well Smooth Lander could work in a tournament setting. In terms of time, I think 3 stocks 8 minutes would be ideal.

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
What about customs? Since hits would be stronger. I know DK's custom Up-B has super armor and a wind box. The badge will not effect the cool down when the attack is over, but will effect the amount of damage it deals.

Also Villager with the tripping tree and exploding balloons customs on the ledge worries me because they can time out the matches. I think ADHD used them in tournament. Some players might not know how to deal with it and let the timer run out instead of facing it to be safe.

And is the badge by itself fine? I made those videos to showcase what matches would be like if just that badge is used.

Shields wear down faster and Smash kills above 100% almost seem like guatanteed kills at times, even with DI

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I wouldn't do customs yet. For one thing most people are gonna have most of the slots filled up with the evo sets which severely limits what you can do outside of that. Also, if we want to standardize which smooth lander badge we use it has to be the specific one on the Wii u version and most custom sets are transferred in from the 3ds.

I watched the two Mario matches and I was very much impressed. I'm not the most technical of players in terms of frame data so someone else is going to have to comment if the game really played faster or if it's just me thinking it did. I'd probably stick with 3 stock 8 minutes just to be safe but do you think the possibility of 4 stock 8 minutes is there as in that Mario vs Luigi match?

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
This sounds like it could be really cool. I don't think it would be that hard to get set ups ready for this. I'll have to see what my Wii u has and try this out

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
I wouldn't do customs yet. For one thing most people are gonna have most of the slots filled up with the evo sets which severely limits what you can do outside of that. Also, if we want to standardize which smooth lander badge we use it has to be the specific one on the Wii u version and most custom sets are transferred in from the 3ds.

I watched the two Mario matches and I was very much impressed. I'm not the most technical of players in terms of frame data so someone else is going to have to comment if the game really played faster or if it's just me thinking it did. I'd probably stick with 3 stock 8 minutes just to be safe but do you think the possibility of 4 stock 8 minutes is there as in that Mario vs Luigi match?
Mario is already a fast character landing lag frame data wise but to help picture the amount of frames cut from his aerials here's a 45 second video showing the frame data without the badge and with the badge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL5Buif7hng

Without SL
|..N..|..U..|..F..|..B..|
|.10..|.12..|..26.|.12.|

With SL
|..7...|..9...|.19..|..9.|

The "Smash Pit" YouTube channel hasn't made a Luigi video yet so I can't share the frame data difference for Luigi at the moment.

For right now we are using the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge since the equipment is not random in specs and each player can easily unlock it with either collecting all the customs, or using an extra hammer to unlock it (Challenge Box: https://i.imgur.com/EchHHj5.jpg). Easy for everyone to practice and TOs to setup for tournaments.

What made the game go faster, in my opinion, was most likely the kills. If you noticed, Luigi's down smash attack killed Mario at 78% (after being hit by the down smash, Mario died at 103%). Maybe the DI was bad, or the player didn't DI at all, but for some that's a pretty early kill.

I have the Action Replay for 3DS so my 3DS copy has all the customs unlocked. Only issue I am having is that the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge can't be unlocked the same way as the Wii U one. I have no idea how to unlock it, and by my guess it's random.

Most players in my area agree that 3 stocks is better than 4 and I think it's because we are so used to 2 stocks that 4 stocks would seem like the matches would take too long. Campy players might be able to time out a match still, and 8 minutes is still a long time to wait if they do. I believe 4 stocks is still a possibility but to start things slowly I think we should do 3 stocks to see how it goes. I personally think 4 stocks is fine, but I never played against a super safe player with Smooth Lander yet or seen gameplay of how it would effect a match if used this way.

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
If you do try it out let me know about your thoughts on it. I would like feedback from those who at least tried it out with just the badge by itself. I'm getting some good and bad feedback on viewer opinions since some hits seem to be stronger than they expected. I just notice kills are faster due to the knockback from Smash attacks VS the high % with DI when playing Smash 4 normally. I've been playing Melee and Project M more so maybe this might be effecting my judgement on it? From memory I know sometimes the knock back and hitstun is long enough for me to get killed at 120% on some stages (using Pikachu) VS playing Sonic in Smash 4 and using DI and surviving until 170%+.

Also Fox's up Smash kills Pikachu at 80% on low cieling stages in Melee and PM. While kills like that in Smash 4 don't really happen from knockback unless it was a gimp off stage or spike/meteor smash. I could be wrong but this is from memory.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
If you want to reduce knockback, one way to do so is by adjusting the knockback settings in the options menu, but doing that also results in people not being able to practice Smooth Lander in training mode since knockback would be completely different. Regarding customs, I love them, but it would probably be a lot easier for the tournament to have them off.

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
I personally like low knockback on aerial or weaker attacks with enough hitstun for combos. Juggling with up airs, into a L-canceled Fair, and then grab into an up throw, and end with a Uair swipe off stage as Pikachu in Melee and PM feels great. Not easy to do 100% of the time, but it's great when they happen as planned.

And then there is high knockback. I feel high knockback is great for hard and strong punishes, like Smash attacks or specific aerial attacks. Same thing with Pikachu's Nair in those games. Great option to attempt an off stage kill at high percents or gimping something like Fox's illusion. So I just wish we had the best of two worlds.

I understand the engine is different so knockback is handled differently.

Remember this is all personal preference. Smash 4 is fine the way it is. I'm just one of those players that wishes all the positives from each game were added into one. Like ledge trumping is awesome! I always feel guilty when I ledge hog knowing they could have made it and wish I could have fought off stage safely to get the kill instead of going out there, getting gimped and the ledge hogged for attempting a finishing off stage kill. But it's a game mechanic that's in the game so I have to use it.

Going back to Smooth Lander (this is a Smooth Lander forum, just wanted to share some background info) it seems to makes kills faster and a few more combos possible that otherwise would not be possible without it. Take the Sonic video for example. Nair usually takes 16 frames of landing lag. Quite a bit from a Nair (Mario's is 10). Now with Nair's frames cut a little bit I was able to Nair, into a down tilt, into a dash grab, into a down throw, and then into a dash attack which otherwise would not be possible as fluidly as it happened in the video. Ganon did have a frame where he was able to sheild after getting hit from the Nair since the Nair had little hitstun and he landed on the ground. But even if Sonic missed the down tilt after the Nair the next attack would just ended into as grab anyways, unless he rolled away because shield stun, I believe, is not as harsh as it used to be in past games or it is not in the game anymore [I can't tell which :c ].

This is why I feel Smooth Lander seems to be getting approved in my area from those who mainly play Melee and Project M while playing Smash 4 on the side. A theory, but not sure if this is why or true.

EDIT: Time stamped link to the combo I was referring to:

https://youtu.be/dL6bc4GjEcE?t=6s

Play it at 0.25 speed to see the combo frame by frame

For those who do not know how to change the speed: http://i.imgur.com/98usktV.png

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
That posts suggests that SL does not make certain aerials unconditionally safe on block, which is false. My day of playing with smooth lander made this obvious, and anyone can go into frame-stop training mode to test for themselves. You can also tell just by looking at the numbers.

The game's parameters were methodically selected to ensure that all landing lag values are still vulnerable to shieldgrabs. SL breaks this crucial, fundamental behavior.
Old comment, but this point needs to be made. There's nothing really wrong with having safe on block moves. In fact, having safe on block moves is critical to good fighting game design. If you don't have moves that are safe on block, then it isn't safe for you to ever attack in neutral. And that's just downright silly. Take a look at games like Guilty Gear. There are things called block strings, which is more or less a combo on someone's block. The idea is that you keep hitting their shield and mixing them up trying to trick them with high or low hits (or for Smash games, getting them to drop shield at the wrong time). This makes the defensive game a million times more interesting than just having everything be perfectly safe to block and immediately punish.

MANY characters in Smash 4 are almost entirely unsafe on block. Some characters only have one more two safe moves and only if they're spaced right. That leaves them with grabs and playing a waiting game. And that's totally unfair to those characters. I can't stress this point enough: safe on block is a GOOD thing. You obviously don't want infinite safe on block stuff with no holes in it, that would be stupid. But you need to have the ability to string together safe moves and more risky ones to have an interesting defensive game.

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
Old comment, but this point needs to be made. There's nothing really wrong with having safe on block moves. In fact, having safe on block moves is critical to good fighting game design. If you don't have moves that are safe on block, then it isn't safe for you to ever attack in neutral. And that's just downright silly. Take a look at games like Guilty Gear. There are things called block strings, which is more or less a combo on someone's block. The idea is that you keep hitting their shield and mixing them up trying to trick them with high or low hits (or for Smash games, getting them to drop shield at the wrong time). This makes the defensive game a million times more interesting than just having everything be perfectly safe to block and immediately punish.

MANY characters in Smash 4 are almost entirely unsafe on block. Some characters only have one more two safe moves and only if they're spaced right. That leaves them with grabs and playing a waiting game. And that's totally unfair to those characters. I can't stress this point enough: safe on block is a GOOD thing. You obviously don't want infinite safe on block stuff with no holes in it, that would be stupid. But you need to have the ability to string together safe moves and more risky ones to have an interesting defensive game.

I just think of Nairs as an attack that usually has short landing lag. If the player does Nair to approach then when they hit the ground they have the option to shield or spot dodge in case the opposite player attacks or grabs. Attacking and hitting shield and getting a lot of landing lag makes it feel like attacking first is not safe. Like playing Mario and approaching with a Fair is, for the most part, not a good approach idea. But then Mario has a Nair with shorter landing lag and has the option to shield, spot dodge, jab, or grab. Only thing he has to wait for is the landing lag (and depending on the game he can shorten it).

Ganon, Pikachu, Charizard, Sonic and Bowser all have a lot of landing lag when you combine all their frame data from aerials together. Pikachu's Fair has shorter landing lag then his Nair. And Ganon's Uair has less landing lag then his Nair. I just wonder why approach with those characters if they have so much landing lag while other characters don't.

Safe on block moves are needed in a fighting game like you said. It's just the choices to approach some times feels limited. I was thinking less landing lag can give more characters more approach options. Like in the combo I was describing above, Nair had the shortest amount of landing lag for that character. So Nair was used to quickly have a follow up option afterwards in case it was blocked. With out Smooth Lander I can't really think of a safer approach then Spin Dash/Spin Charge, which some can argue is not really a safe approach. Fair has 26 frames of landing lag, Bair 30, Uair 21, while Dair has 38. When Nair has 16 frames of landing lag this seems like that characters best aerial choice against shield.

Last edited:

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
...I'm mostly posting this for posterity. It's taken me a lot of time, but I have stumbled upon a smooth lander build that really just takes the game and pushes it into an exact middle point between melee and brawl (instead of the 3/4 towards brawl position it is regularly). A bit faster, a bit more offensive play. Think of it similar to the Smooth Lander Heavy Gravity builds, but without the need for heavy gravity, and thus free of the issues associated with using it.

Really, SL on its own would be pretty bad, since it would only make the strong stronger for the most part, but if you add additional mobility in there, so that every character can tap into combos, that's something else. On a personal level, I think it works quite well, and I think it proves that SL can be a really good thing:

Anti-Leap Brawn Badge + Sprinter Protection Badge + Smooth Lander Agility Badge
-27 Atk
+15 Def
+50 Speed
at 1.1x Knockback.

Basically, the process involves upping overall mobility, fast falling speed, and landing lag decrease via the speed stat/smooth lander/sprinter, and then compensating the loss in knockback from the attack stat value by upping the knockback scaling in the options menu (I fine tuned the attack stat until knockback values were nigh-identical with vanilla Smash 4). This results in a game where combos are much more viable, but knockback growth accelerates ever so slightly higher, resulting in a much faster game overall.

I personally prefer standardized equipment for all characters, as I do believe that individual equipment in tourneys would be a total nightmare, so that's what I've done here. Don't get me wrong, though. This build, well, it's basically impossible to get, it doesn't consist of any challenge reward equipment pieces; I'm posting this just to show what equipment can do. I'm posting this in the hopes that maybe someone else out there has the same equipment, and could try this out and share their thoughts.

I'm going to try and upload clips to my Youtube Channel, as proof of concept. Again, I have no idea what else to do with this, since I can't exactly share it, but maybe someday, if we can hack equipment, we could do something with it. I like to think of it as 'Smash 4 Enhanced' more than anything, since it feels identical to the original game in terms of knockback/setups, but with marginally faster knockback growth and way better combo-ablility. I play this weekly with my friends, who all play for Glory, and none of them feel alienated by the differences.

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
Okay so I'm back from the last time I posted. Been having trouble finding a website to sell tickets for players in the Smooth Lander tournament. I posted on Reddit but only got a few responses:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3cbhii/any_online_registration_sources_that_are_user/

Any suggestions so I can test, setup a date for the tournament with the venue, and start posting/advertising online about it?

This would help with displaying the turnout number publicly and prize pot total amount as time goes on.

We still play on streaming it.

From what I know it would be the first tournament to try having the Smooth Lander badge legal.

EDIT: Our community seems to be leaning towards using smash.gg as our way of keeping track of attendees. We're getting closer guys...

Our venue can only host 150 players max though unless we find another affordable venue that is much larger with great internet speeds in our area

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
Okay more news since I believe this is the right place to post this:

Our Texas community is thinking to do the first ever Smooth Lander tournament we have heard of on Saturday, September 19th 2015. We're wondering if this date is too soon and if we should make it further down the year. What do you guys think? Friday (July 10) I will be talking to the venue's owner to schedule an actual date to host the tournament.

We most likely will not have custom move sets legal since some members of our community feel most tournaments are doing away with them. We will only have one Brawn Badge on every character legal, specifically the one unlocked in Challenges (unlock all custom moves), and 3 stocks with a 7 minute limit.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
From my experience, it's best to keep the level of knockback as close to regular smash as possible; if you increase the attack stat, it affects knockback and damage, and those changes in tandem with the resulting decrease to the defense stat (which increases damage taken) will make any sort of combo even more difficult to perform, as well as making moves kill earlier.

Even if that alone isn't a problem for you, if knockback is increased, the effects of rage are also increased, and it becomes absurd. I would strongly recommend keeping the stats as close to 0 as possible, or getting attack to about -20 and increasing knockback in the menu to 1.1; that compensates it back to regular levels, but makes it accelerate a tiny bit faster, resulting in slightly earlier kills.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So to clarify, it's just the one badge? Not the other two that come with the game to balance them out? What does that make each character statwise again?

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
For the tournament we don't want to change too much of the physics and knockback so that players can maneuver around the stage as they have been doing. Also with every character getting the buff we notice attacks guaranteeing kills at high percents. We just want the one Badge to display the difference the Badge makes. We have a feeling this would help create the biggest turnout for the event.

I will be going to the venue today to schedule the event for September 19, 2015. And over the weekend try to record a brief video explaining how to unlock the badge. Then hopefully post around online to collect enough players to make the event a success.

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
From my experience, it's best to keep the level of knockback as close to regular smash as possible; if you increase the attack stat, it affects knockback and damage, and those changes in tandem with the resulting decrease to the defense stat (which increases damage taken) will make any sort of combo even more difficult to perform, as well as making moves kill earlier.

Even if that alone isn't a problem for you, if knockback is increased, the effects of rage are also increased, and it becomes absurd. I would strongly recommend keeping the stats as close to 0 as possible, or getting attack to about -20 and increasing knockback in the menu to 1.1; that compensates it back to regular levels, but makes it accelerate a tiny bit faster, resulting in slightly earlier kills.
I do feel game design wise knockback and stats should have been handled differently but if we change too much of the game as a whole with a short time frame for players to prepare, I feel the turn out would not be as great as if we only changed one thing.

Last edited:

z7x9r0

Smash Cadet
NNID
z7x9r0
So to clarify, it's just the one badge? Not the other two that come with the game to balance them out? What does that make each character statwise again?
I have met several players in our community that have fed their amiibos the default badges which I have no idea how to fix for them to practice. This is another reason why we only have the one badge legal since it seems to be less likely to be fed to amiibos

And for the stats the badge creates:

+36 Attack
-35 Defense

I posted videos of gameplay with these stats above

Last edited:

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
For build 2 how do you unlock the Item Hitter Agility Badge and the Moon Launcher Protection Badge? If it is as easy to unlock as the Smooth Lander Brawn Badge then I can take a look at what it does and how it effects gameplay. If it deals with grinding and randomly getting it then I'll have to say no for now. It does say on his thread that two hammers are needed but which challenges are they? Also no Heavy Gravity. I can't nerf recoveries or simple jumping the way Heavy Gravity does.
Muro's Build 2 is the best overall, that's the opinion I've gotten most from the players in the CO scene. Heavy Gravity is pretty integral to making a Smooth Lander tournament stand out from regular Sm4sh. If you just add Smooth Lander it doesn't really change much overall; Follow-ups are still aerial-based, so without Heavy Gravity smooth lander only effects the game slightly (not enough imo). I've set up Muro's build 2 in on quite a few consoles and I'd say I have a good method to minimize time for a TO.

(Assuming this is an all Smooth Lander tourney) People would need to have either the setup already unlocked, or the understanding that their console's memory will be wiped in order to make it easier for the TO to set up. The whole process takes 10 minutes at most.

[Brand New Console]

Beat 100-Man Smash (1st Golden Hammer)
Unlock Smooth Lander Brawn Badge
Beat All-star (2nd Golden Hammer)
Unlock Moon Launcher Protection Badge
Do a Master Orders with Mega Man (Reward: Crazy Orders Ticket, Alternate Mega Man recovery)
Go to Crazy Orders...
Do a Crazy Orders with Villager (Reward: 3rd Golden Hammer)
Unlock Item Hitter Agility Badge

Make a build with these 3 equipped, also equip Mega Man's alt recovery to fix Heavy Gravity's effect on it. You can also grind All-Star for Duck Hunt's alt recovery, but if there isn't time I suppose that could be excluded.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Muro's Build 2 is the best overall, that's the opinion I've gotten most from the players in the CO scene. Heavy Gravity is pretty integral to making a Smooth Lander tournament stand out from regular Sm4sh. If you just add Smooth Lander it doesn't really change much overall; Follow-ups are still aerial-based, so without Heavy Gravity smooth lander only effects the game slightly (not enough imo). I've set up Muro's build 2 in on quite a few consoles and I'd say I have a good method to minimize time for a TO.

(Assuming this is an all Smooth Lander tourney) People would need to have either the setup already unlocked, or the understanding that their console's memory will be wiped in order to make it easier for the TO to set up. The whole process takes 10 minutes at most.

[Brand New Console]

Beat 100-Man Smash (1st Golden Hammer)
Unlock Smooth Lander Brawn Badge
Beat All-star (2nd Golden Hammer)
Unlock Moon Launcher Protection Badge
Do a Master Orders with Mega Man (Reward: Crazy Orders Ticket, Alternate Mega Man recovery)
Go to Crazy Orders...
Do a Crazy Orders with Villager (Reward: 3rd Golden Hammer)
Unlock Item Hitter Agility Badge

Make a build with these 3 equipped, also equip Mega Man's alt recovery to fix Heavy Gravity's effect on it. You can also grind All-Star for Duck Hunt's alt recovery, but if there isn't time I suppose that could be excluded.
when tournament mode is here, I hope we can run them smoothly

Top Bottom