• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity (SLHG)

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Do you think they judge before trying it or are they just in to air battle style of vanilla? Is it some other reasons or are they really close-minded when trying something new?
This sums it up perfectly.

Another thing I wanted to ask: it pleased me to see that the nature of heavy gravity forces you to rack up damage before you can realistically seal the stock with a single combo, but are there any cringe-worthy easy mode combos that don't require much skill compared to the rest of the cast?
As a Palutena player, D-throw > F-air > D-throw > F-air > D-throw > D-air is easy as 123 and works on every single member of the cast. You CAN DI out of it, but if Palutena knows this she can punish even harder with a Fast-fall U-air. By the time the victim gets to kill % however, it's no longer a true combo. It's especially good against fast-fallers with poor vertical recoveries (ie. Cpt. Falcon, Diddy, Dr. Mario, Roy) to kill off the side with a D-air.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
This sums it up perfectly.

As a Palutena player, D-throw > F-air > D-throw > F-air > D-throw > D-air is easy as 123 and works on every single member of the cast. You CAN DI out of it, but if Palutena knows this she can punish even harder with a Fast-fall U-air. By the time the victim gets to kill % however, it's no longer a true combo. It's especially good against fast-fallers with poor vertical recoveries (ie. Cpt. Falcon, Diddy, Dr. Mario, Roy) to kill off the side with a D-air.
What do you mean by fast fall U-Air?

Both Palutena's N-Air and U-Air are punishable if she's trying to land with them and grab/jab.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
What do you mean by fast fall U-Air?

Both Palutena's N-Air and U-Air are punishable if she's trying to land with them and grab/jab.
Haha I know, fast-fall near the end so the final hitbox comes out, then you can do another or use U-smash. It takes precise timing to know the last hit, but it's muscle memory at this point for me.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So my cousin and I haven't played SLHG the past few times he's been over or Smash in general. From random discussion with him though, I've found out that he's been practicing Melee at home, tech skill and what not and he wants to join that games competitive scene. Probably explains why he likes SLHG at all. I myself plan on joining the competitive scene of Sm4sh vanilla next year and if I can, I'd like to have my own little side setup, even if just for friendlies to show off SLHG to more people.

All that being said, we might play it later today to see how Corrin and Bayo play in it.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Just to say, I will be creating a guide for SLAJ later today. It'll most likely be around when the maintenance is happening.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Anchor Jump Brawn Badge, +50 Attack, -3 Defense, 0 Speed
Smooth Lander Agility Badge, -25 Attack, 0 Defense, +12 Speed
Moon Launcher Agility Badge, -24 Attack, 0 Defense, +10 Speed

AJ + SL + ML, +1/-3/+22

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
waiting on that guide ^_^. Good work folks. Im down to try this out...

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
SLAJ seems like characters with already good dash speed are going to run circles around you.

Meta Knight and Sonic are probably nightmares, no?

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Not so much Sonic... I'd be more afraid of Little Mac, Fox, and yea definitely Meta Knight. Sonics dash acceleration isn't great.

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
ArtfulHobbes ArtfulHobbes ok this is pretty sick this might be actually what we need but I wonder if people will like this SLAJ over SLHG. Either way good job with this you and Reserved.

Just to say, I will be creating a guide for SLAJ later today. It'll most likely be around when the maintenance is happening.
I can't wait to try this out to see how it feels but it sounds cool

Last edited:

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
SLAJ seems like characters with already good dash speed are going to run circles around you.

Meta Knight and Sonic are probably nightmares, no?
No, it's not drastic. If you want to try out a speed increase of this kind, build build 3 of SLHG (Smooth Lander, default Protection, Item Hitter Agility) which has 19 speed and give it a go. It's definitely manageable.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Three things to note before reading:
1.) If you are interested in this whatsoever, continue to read. There is a limited amount of time that gaining access to the equipment will be accessible to the standard user, after which it will become much more difficult.
2.) This is literally NEVER going to replace standard Smash 4, nor is there any intention to replace Smash 4. This mode should be considered something separate with it's own metagame, similar to how Team Battles function.
3.) The only reason any of this is possible is because of user SAHunterMech SAHunterMech helping uncover the algorithm Smash Bros. uses for determining legitimate equipment. Go to his page and leave him a thanks, OK?

Smooth Lander Anchor Jump (SLAJ) is the new and improved Smooth Lander Heavy Gravity (SLHG). It has several great benefits over standard SLHG, many of which I'm sure people will be glad about. To start this off, for those who don't understand what SLHG/SLAJ, I'll provide an explanation.

SLHG/SLAJ is a different way to play Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. The mode decreases the amount of vertical knockback opponents receive, along with decreasing the amount of landing lag throughout the roster by 1/3. This allows for stronger advantage and neutral states, in the process making disadvantage harder to escape. Generally, matches have more variety and will go by quicker than standard Smash 4, along with giving characters many new options they wouldn't normally have.

To get into some more specific things...

Movement Options: Due to the higher gravity, many characters (read: all characters) can maneuver the stage better. As characters fall faster, empty movement is much less of a commitment. Things such as empty hops can be done with less predictability, along with grounded movement options (foxtrots, dance trots, perfect pivot, etc.) gaining boosts due to having better options out of them. More on this will be covered later when discussing SLAJ-exclusive features.

Defensive Options: Overall, defensive options are nerfed. When it comes to shields, the core reason they're weakened is due to the reduced landing lag on aerials. However, along with that, grab games are strengthened cast-wide, making shielding riskier. It also requires more prediction to use shields, as empty hops can make the opponent unpredictable given their options, such as tomahawks. Airdodges are primarily nerfed due to the higher gravity -- airdodging has a much higher chance of inducing landing lag, giving the opponent time to start another combo. Rolling and spotdodging is generally riskier due to the higher reward given read by the opponent, although this will be covered more when discussing SLAJ-exclusive features.

Tech Chasing: Many attacks send at lower angles when used in conjunction with heavy gravity, forcing the opponent to either tech, or be locked down for quite a while, giving the aggressor more time to attack. Obviously, the best option in this situation is to tech. However, the aggressor can then proceed to tech chase -- predicting and following the direction the opponent techs to keep up an advantaged state. This allows for more variable and interesting gameplay, having the possibility to extend combos for a larger amount of time.

Combos: As explained previously, due to the higher gravity in conjunction with the smooth lander badge, there is much more combo potential available in this mode. Many characters have better advantage states, allowing punishes to be harder with more interesting mix-ups to be available. Combos are less focused on bread 'n' butter, rather being more free-flow, allowing reactionary and read-based play to keep advantaged states going.

Juggling: This is pretty self explanatory. Due to the higher gravity, weaker airdodges and lower landing lag, juggling is now much more prevalent and possible. Along with that, due to the added damage of the Moon Launcher badge, characters can get more reward from it.

Edgeguarding: Similar to the other changes, the heavy gravity also weakens characters' ability to recover. Recovering is more linear due to less air time, along with weaker double jumps and offensive options to avoid edgeguarding. This allows the aggressor more options to secure an early stock, along with making players put more thought into their neutral game to avoid being thrown into a worse position. Along with some other stuff, more will be covered on this when discussing SLAJ-exclusive features.

Speaking of that... now that there's a basic understanding of some of the changes SLHG/SLAJ adds to the base game, let's cover the exclusive benefits SLAJ has over SLHG, along with addressing some concerns existing SLHG players had about SLAJ.

First and foremost, let's cover the most significant and important change, something I'm sure many people will be happy to hear -- EVERY SET DISTANCE INTERACTION IS NOW FIXED. To be more specific, all recoveries are fixed, all ledge trumps are fixed, all grab releases are fixed, being released by set-distance moves (ie: Nosferatu) will now properly work, and everything else that's set-distance. This was a huge problem in SLHG. Certain recoveries would had basically no functionality (ie: Sonic, Duck Hunt, Samus, Link), while others still went full distance (ie: Villager, Zelda). This is now fixed, as all recoveries go their intended distances. However, edgeguarding is still very possible due to spikes being improved, less air time with double jumps and horizontal recoveries (ie: Bouncing Fish, Monkey Flip) and certain character-specific things (ledge vulnerability, recovery fuel system, etc.), so there should be no worries there.

The other problems are things less discussed, however. In SLHG, grab release combos are actually a pretty disgusting issue (ie: Marth can always tipper F-Smash Jigglypuff), so having these fixed is a nice benefit. Ledge trumps were also a decently annoying problem. When ledge trumping an opponent such as Fox or Meta Knight, they'd go lower than intended and have the heavy gravity affect them right away, sending them incredibly far down for no reason, along with limiting the aggressors' options. These changes are quite honestly amazing, as they remove any unnatural interaction SLHG had added into the game, allowing it to flow much better and feel much more natural.

The other benefit is quite huge, too. Actually, I think this one might be more important than the previous one. Due to being fully equipment based, SLAJ works in every mode that allows equipment. This includes Training Mode, Online Play and 8 Player Smash. This allows for better labbing, more accessibility, and allows players of the mode to keep the same feeling throughout Smash 4. The biggest thing, obviously, is online play. This'll allow SLAJ to continue to develop, unlike SLHG which had a 99% decrease in activity once online was patched out. Oh, and because it's entirely equipment based, I'm pretty sure it's unpatchable unless Nintendo really wants to go out of their way to get rid of it. To be honest, I don't think they patched out SLHG online to be "anti-fun", but rather patched it out because it's a clear, obvious glitch that should not be included. Adding in Special Smash for online would still take quite a lot of time (adding menus and options, making sure in functions properly, sync it up, etc.), which I'm assuming is why they didn't substitute the glitch.

Another benefit over SLHG correlates with it being fully equipment based... it works on both Smash 3DS and Wii U. This is another huge point of accessibility, as it allows players restricted to the handheld the option to play, too.

Now, to go into depth on the advantages of the extra speed included in the SLAJ build (+1, -3, +22) has...

The added speed in SLAJ has a couple main benefits. The biggest one overall is that it returns jumps to their SLHG state, allowing Battlefield platforms to be used, full hops to have much more utility and the general feel of the mode being much more natural. To add on to the more natural feel, the speed makes movement feel smoother when in conjunction with the added gravity, giving much better transitions from air to ground and vice versa.

Along with that, the added speed allows horizontal combos to be more prevalent. Despite all the changes (heavy gravity, faster landing lag, etc.), many characters still struggled to perform horizontal combos, many being just out of reach. Now, nearly every character has an entirely new, revolutionized combo game. At the same time, it naturally balances itself out -- characters with faster mobility get less new things they can do, while characters that are generally slower, such as Kirby, Dr. Mario and Shulk get many additions to their toolkit. Even characters with above-average mobility get new tools, such as Marth having much more reliable combos after N-Air, F-Air and B-Air.

The higher speed also improves techniques such as foxtrots, dance trots and perfect pivots, rewarding players who use these techniques even more than standard SLHG does and much more than standard Smash 4 does.

One thing should be noted, however. Despite all this sounding incredibly good, it is NOT over the top. The main problem is that in SLHG, many characters were literally just outside the reach to have even more combo and mix-up potential. The speed increase is slight, as +22 really is not a huge number equipment-wise, but even with that slight increase, it makes everything much better and more natural. Nothing feels stupidly fast, so there should not be any worries regarding that. Along with that, to re-iterate a point brought up previously, slower characters gain more benefit from this as extra speed is especially helpful for them, whereas faster characters get less new options they didn't have available with their standard speed.

---

I think I've covered everything that needs to be covered at the moment, so... let's get on to the last parts of this post!

First, here's a ruleset for new players:

3/4 Stock (Undecided), 8 Minutes
Customs On (For SLAJ equipment, nothing else)
Stage List is the same as Smash 4 w/o Duck Hunt and Castle Siege

To give a brief explanation, generally 4 stock is considered better, although for newcomers it may take a bit longer without knowing combos and things of that sort. The reason Duck Hunt and Castle Siege are banned is due to problems with camping on high platforms.

Now, for the very final part... how to do it! At the moment, this will only be available for a limited amount of time. Afterwards, I have alternate methods planned, although they will not be revealed at the moment.

Requirements:
3DS + Smash Bros. for 3DS

That's literally it. It's impossible to get on Wii U without Smash Bros. 3DS, however it can be obtained on any 3DS with any copy of the game (physical and digital), so if you only own the Wii U version, simply borrow somebody else's copy for 30 minutes.

The set-up is incredibly easy and user-friendly, and it only takes about 10~30 minutes depending on the set-up you use. After you do it once, you never have to do it again and will have it forever. Now, onto the directions!

There are three options you can choose when installing SLAJ, each with different ending results.

The first one, which is the fastest, will erase your current Smash 3DS save permanently and get you loaded with
all SLAJ characters to be played with on 3DS and/or transfer to Wii U right away. This is the best method for those that
do not care about their Smash 3DS save and want to start playing as quick as possible.

The second method, which will take a little longer, will allow you to transfer the SLAJ equipment to Smash Bros. U
while keeping your original save in-tact. This is the best method for those who play both Smash 3DS and Wii U
but would like to have the equipment on both consoles.

The last one, which takes the longest, will allow you to edit the SLAJ equipment into your original save, so you
can keep the equipment permanently, even if you lose the abiity to exploit your 3DS. This is the best method for
those that play primarily on 3DS.

---

*Method 1*

1.) Download the SLAJ starting kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7VGqv2RnmrTRkJmcGZiMnp4WWM/view?usp=sharing

2.) Remove your 3DS SD card and drag the "3DS" "boot.3dsx" and "saveDataBackup" folders to the root of the SD card. Along
with that, put the files from "SLAJ Save Data" (account_data.bin and system_data.bin) into saveDataBackup > save_data.

3.) Put the SD card back into the 3DS and, from the home menu, press both L and R to bring up the camera. Click the QR
Code icon on the bottom screen and scan this code: http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto_qrcode.png

4.) Select "OK" when asked to open the Internet Browser.

5.) You will now be in the Homebrew Launcher. Open the app "SaveDataManager".

6.) If presented with a "Title Selector", use the D-Pad to find Smash 3DS then click "A" to select it.

7.) Click "B" to inject the SLAJ save file. *WARNING* - THIS WILL OVERWRITE YOUR EXISTING SAVE. IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS,
GO TO THE SECOND METHOD.

8.) After it's done, click "X" to exit. Reboot the console and enter Smash 3DS. If everything went well, you should
now have one set for each character titled "SLAJ", which you can do anything with (transfer to Wii U, play on 3DS, etc.)

---

*Method 2*

1.) Download the SLAJ starting kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7VGqv2RnmrTRkJmcGZiMnp4WWM/view?usp=sharing

2.) Remove your 3DS SD card and drag the "3DS" "boot.3dsx" and "saveDataBackup" folders to the root of the SD card.

3.) Put the SD card back into the 3DS and, from the home menu, press both L and R to bring up the camera. Click the QR
Code icon on the bottom screen and scan this code: http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto_qrcode.png

6.) If presented with a "Title Selector", use the D-Pad to find Smash 3DS then click "A" to select it.

7.) Click "A" to back up your existing Smash Bros. save file.

8.) After it's done, click "X" to exit. Turn off the console and take out the SD card.

9.) Go into saveDataManager > save_data and copy the two files "account_data.bin" and "system_data.bin" to a safe place.
This is your original Smash 3DS save data.

10.) Replace the existing save data files in saveDataManager > save_data with the files found in "SLAJ Save Data".

11.) Follow steps 3-5 to return back to "SaveDataManager".

10.) Click "B" to inject the SLAJ save file.

11.) After it's done, click "X" to exit. Reboot the console and enter Smash 3DS. If everything went well, you should
now have one set for each character titled "SLAJ", which you can do anything with (transfer to Wii U, play on 3DS, etc.)

12.) Once you're done with whatever you've done (ie: transfer equipment to Wii U) and would like to restore your original
save, place your backed up save data files in saveDataManager > save_data.

13.) Follow steps 3-5 to return back to "SaveDataManager".

14.) Click "B" to inject your original save file.

15.) After it's done, click "X" to exit. Reboot the console and enter Smash 3DS. If everything went well, you should
now have your original save data back.

---

*METHOD 3*

2.) Remove your 3DS SD card and drag the "3DS" "boot.3dsx" and "saveDataBackup" folders to the root of the SD card.

8.) After it's done, click "X" to exit. Turn off the console and take out the SD card.

9.) Go into saveDataManager > save_data and copy the two files "account_data.bin" and "system_data.bin" to a safe place.

10.) Download the Smash 3DS Editor here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-sm4sh-save-editor.382699/

11.) Open "system_data.bin" using the Smash 3DS Editor. Click on the Equipment button to open your list of equipment.

12.) Find three pieces of equipment you'd like to edit and change them to the following (it is recommended to edit
equipment near the top of the list):

Anchor Jump Brawn Badge, 50 Attack, -3 Defense,, 0 Speed, Range 5
Moon Launcher Agility Badge, -25 Attack, 0 Defense, 12 Speed, Range 9
Smooth Lander Agility Badge, -24 Attack, 0 Defense, 10 Speed, Range 13

Make sure to click "Enter" after setting the Range to save the piece of equipment.

13.) Save the changes you've made to the save file.

14.) Download SmashPow! from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ssb-3ds-badge-editing-format.375308/page-3#post-5212943

15.) Open your save file with SmashPow! and find the pieces of equipment you edited previously.

16.) Individually, double click each piece of edited equipment then, once selected, right click the same piece of
equipment and choose the "Set" option.

17.) Save the changes you've made to the save file and put the edited "account_data.bin" and "system_data.bin" in
saveDataManager > save_data

18.) Repeat steps 3-5 to return back to "SaveDataManager".

19.) Click "B" to inject your edited Smash Bros. save file.

20.) If all went well, you should now have your original Smash Bros. save file with the SLAJ equipment edited into the
game. You can do whatever you'd like with it (transfer to Wii U, play on 3DS, etc.), however it is recommended
to make a custom character using the SLAJ set, open a lobby online and try to use the equipment. If it kicks you out,
repeat the steps to ensure you did everything correctly.

The "How-To" text document in the starting kit has the same directions, in case you'd like to follow those. If you have any questions, just ask me.

tl;dr: SLAJ is literally SLHG with improvements -- works online, proper recoveries, better combos, etc., look above to download it.

Last edited:

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
By the way, if the install for SLAJ doesn't work... over... and over... and over, like mine, keep trying. It'll happen eventually.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Question: I only have Mewtwo downloaded to my 3DS version. Will I be able to transfer the remaining custom sets without owning the 3DS DLC?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Nope, to transfer the DLC characters to Wii U you'll need them on 3DS.

I wouldn't recommend buying them all, just buy the ones you truly want to play so you're not wasting money.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Ah, that's a bummer. Would be kinda hard to set things up for tournies without owning all of the characters, and I'm sure some people would enjoy using characters like Cloud and Roy. Oh well.

TheDerp

Smash Cadet
Roses are Red, Violets are Red, Everything is Red.
NNID
DerpynessRules
1.) If you are interested in this whatsoever, continue to read. There is a limited amount of time that gaining access to the equipment will be accessible to the standard user, after which it will become much more difficult.
2.) This is literally NEVER going to replace standard Smash 4, nor is there any intention to replace Smash 4. This mode should be considered something separate with it's own metagame, similar to how Team Battles function.
3.) The only reason any of this is possible is because of user SAHunterMech SAHunterMech helping uncover the algorithm Smash Bros. uses for determining legitimate equipment. Go to his page and leave him a thanks, OK?

Smooth Lander Anchor Jump (SLAJ) is the new and improved Smooth Lander Heavy Gravity (SLHG). It has several great benefits over standard SLHG, many of which I'm sure people will be glad about. To start this off, for those who don't understand what SLHG/SLAJ, I'll provide an explanation.

SLHG/SLAJ is a different way to play Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. The mode decreases the amount of vertical knockback opponents receive, along with decreasing the amount of landing lag throughout the roster by 1/3. This allows for stronger advantage and neutral states, in the process making disadvantage harder to escape. Generally, matches have more variety and will go by quicker than standard Smash 4, along with giving characters many new options they wouldn't normally have.

Movement Options: Due to the higher gravity, many characters (read: all characters) can maneuver the stage better. As characters fall faster, empty movement is much less of a commitment. Things such as empty hops can be done with less predictability, along with grounded movement options (foxtrots, dance trots, perfect pivot, etc.) gaining boosts due to having better options out of them. More on this will be covered later when discussing SLAJ-exclusive features.

Defensive Options: Overall, defensive options are nerfed. When it comes to shields, the core reason they're weakened is due to the reduced landing lag on aerials. However, along with that, grab games are strengthened cast-wide, making shielding riskier. It also requires more prediction to use shields, as empty hops can make the opponent unpredictable given their options, such as tomahawks. Airdodges are primarily nerfed due to the higher gravity -- airdodging has a much higher chance of inducing landing lag, giving the opponent time to start another combo. Rolling and spotdodging is generally riskier due to the higher reward given read by the opponent, although this will be covered more when discussing SLAJ-exclusive features.

Tech Chasing: Many attacks send at lower angles when used in conjunction with heavy gravity, forcing the opponent to either tech, or be locked down for quite a while, giving the aggressor more time to attack. Obviously, the best option in this situation is to tech. However, the aggressor can then proceed to tech chase -- predicting and following the direction the opponent techs to keep up an advantaged state. This allows for more variable and interesting gameplay, having the possibility to extend combos for a larger amount of time.

Combos: As explained previously, due to the higher gravity in conjunction with the smooth lander badge, there is much more combo potential available in this mode. Many characters have better advantage states, allowing punishes to be harder with more interesting mix-ups to be available. Combos are less focused on bread 'n' butter, rather being more free-flow, allowing reactionary and read-based play to keep advantaged states going.

Juggling: This is pretty self explanatory. Due to the higher gravity, weaker airdodges and lower landing lag, juggling is now much more prevalent and possible. Along with that, due to the added damage of the Moon Launcher badge, characters can get more reward from it.

Edgeguarding: Similar to the other changes, the heavy gravity also weakens characters' ability to recover. Recovering is more linear due to less air time, along with weaker double jumps and offensive options to avoid edgeguarding. This allows the aggressor more options to secure an early stock, along with making players put more thought into their neutral game to avoid being thrown into a worse position. Along with some other stuff, more will be covered on this when discussing SLAJ-exclusive features.

Speaking of that... now that there's a basic understanding of some of the changes SLHG/SLAJ adds to the base game, let's cover the exclusive benefits SLAJ has over SLHG, along with addressing some concerns existing SLHG players had about SLAJ.

First and foremost, let's cover the most significant and important change, something I'm sure many people will be happy to hear -- EVERY SET DISTANCE INTERACTION IS NOW FIXED. To be more specific, all recoveries are fixed, all ledge trumps are fixed, all grab releases are fixed, being released by set-distance moves (ie: Nosferatu) will now properly work, and everything else that's set-distance. This was a huge problem in SLHG. Certain recoveries would had basically no functionality (ie: Sonic, Duck Hunt, Samus, Link), while others still went full distance (ie: Villager, Zelda). This is now fixed, as all recoveries go their intended distances. However, edgeguarding is still very possible due to spikes being improved, less air time with double jumps and horizontal recoveries (ie: Bouncing Fish, Monkey Flip) and certain character-specific things (ledge vulnerability, recovery fuel system, etc.), so there should be no worries there.

The other problems are things less discussed, however. In SLHG, grab release combos are actually a pretty disgusting issue (ie: Marth can always tipper F-Smash Jigglypuff), so having these fixed is a nice benefit. Ledge trumps were also a decently annoying problem. When ledge trumping an opponent such as Fox or Meta Knight, they'd go lower than intended and have the heavy gravity affect them right away, sending them incredibly far down for no reason, along with limiting the aggressors' options. These changes are quite honestly amazing, as they remove any unnatural interaction SLHG had added into the game, allowing it to flow much better and feel much more natural.

The other benefit is quite huge, too. Actually, I think this one might be more important than the previous one. Due to being fully equipment based, SLAJ works in every mode that allows equipment. This includes Training Mode, Online Play and 8 Player Smash. This allows for better labbing, more accessibility, and allows players of the mode to keep the same feeling throughout Smash 4. The biggest thing, obviously, is online play. This'll allow SLAJ to continue to develop, unlike SLHG which had a 99% decrease in activity once online was patched out. Oh, and because it's entirely equipment based, I'm pretty sure it's unpatchable unless Nintendo really wants to go out of their way to get rid of it. To be honest, I don't think they patched out SLHG online to be "anti-fun", but rather patched it out because it's a clear, obvious glitch that should not be included. Adding in Special Smash for online would still take quite a lot of time (adding menus and options, making sure in functions properly, sync it up, etc.), which I'm assuming is why they didn't substitute the glitch.

Another benefit over SLHG correlates with it being fully equipment based... it works on both Smash 3DS and Wii U. This is another huge point of accessibility, as it allows players restricted to the handheld the option to play, too.

Now, to go into depth on the advantages of the extra speed included in the SLAJ build (+1, -3, +22) has...

The added speed in SLAJ has a couple main benefits. The biggest one overall is that it returns jumps to their SLHG state, allowing Battlefield platforms to be used, full hops to have much more utility and the general feel of the mode being much more natural. To add on to the more natural feel, the speed makes movement feel smoother when in conjunction with the added gravity, giving much better transitions from air to ground and vice versa.

Along with that, the added speed allows horizontal combos to be more prevalent. Despite all the changes (heavy gravity, faster landing lag, etc.), many characters still struggled to perform horizontal combos, many being just out of reach. Now, nearly every character has an entirely new, revolutionized combo game. At the same time, it naturally balances itself out -- characters with faster mobility get less new things they can do, while characters that are generally slower, such as Kirby, Dr. Mario and Shulk get many additions to their toolkit. Even characters with above-average mobility get new tools, such as Marth having much more reliable combos after N-Air, F-Air and B-Air.

The higher speed also improves techniques such as foxtrots, dance trots and perfect pivots, rewarding players who use these techniques even more than standard SLHG does and much more than standard Smash 4 does.

One thing should be noted, however. Despite all this sounding incredibly good, it is NOT over the top. The main problem is that in SLHG, many characters were literally just outside the reach to have even more combo and mix-up potential. The speed increase is slight, as +22 really is not a huge number equipment-wise, but even with that slight increase, it makes everything much better and more natural. Nothing feels stupidly fast, so there should not be any worries regarding that. Along with that, to re-iterate a point brought up previously, slower characters gain more benefit from this as extra speed is especially helpful for them, whereas faster characters get less new options they didn't have available with their standard speed.

---

I think I've covered everything that needs to be covered at the moment, so... let's get on to the last parts of this post!

To give a brief explanation, generally 4 stock is considered better, although for newcomers it may take a bit longer without knowing combos and things of that sort. The reason Duck Hunt and Castle Siege are banned is due to problems with camping on high platforms.

Now, for the very final part... how to do it! At the moment, this will only be available for a limited amount of time. Afterwards, I have alternate methods planned, although they will not be revealed at the moment.

Requirements:

That's literally it. It's impossible to get on Wii U without Smash Bros. 3DS, however it can be obtained on any 3DS with any copy of the game (physical and digital), so if you only own the Wii U version, simply borrow somebody else's copy for 30 minutes.

The set-up is incredibly easy and user-friendly, and it only takes about 10~30 minutes depending on the set-up you use. After you do it once, you never have to do it again and will have it forever. Now, onto the directions!

There are three options you can choose when installing SLAJ, each with different ending results.

The first one, which is the fastest, will erase your current Smash 3DS save permanently and get you loaded with
all SLAJ characters to be played with on 3DS and/or transfer to Wii U right away. This is the best method for those that
do not care about their Smash 3DS save and want to start playing as quick as possible.

The second method, which will take a little longer, will allow you to transfer the SLAJ equipment to Smash Bros. U
while keeping your original save in-tact. This is the best method for those who play both Smash 3DS and Wii U

The last one, which takes the longest, will allow you to edit the SLAJ equipment into your original save, so you
can keep the equipment permanently, even if you lose the abiity to exploit your 3DS. This is the best method for

---

*Method 1*

2.) Remove your 3DS SD card and drag the "3DS" "boot.3dsx" and "saveDataBackup" folders to the root of the SD card. Along
with that, put the files from "SLAJ Save Data" (account_data.bin and system_data.bin) into saveDataBackup > save_data.

7.) Click "B" to inject the SLAJ save file. *WARNING* - THIS WILL OVERWRITE YOUR EXISTING SAVE. IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS,
GO TO THE SECOND METHOD.

8.) After it's done, click "X" to exit. Reboot the console and enter Smash 3DS. If everything went well, you should

---

*Method 2*

10.) Replace the existing save data files in saveDataManager > save_data with the files found in "SLAJ Save Data".

11.) After it's done, click "X" to exit. Reboot the console and enter Smash 3DS. If everything went well, you should

12.) Once you're done with whatever you've done (ie: transfer equipment to Wii U) and would like to restore your original

15.) After it's done, click "X" to exit. Reboot the console and enter Smash 3DS. If everything went well, you should

---

*METHOD 3*

10.) Download the Smash 3DS Editor here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-sm4sh-save-editor.382699/

11.) Open "system_data.bin" using the Smash 3DS Editor. Click on the Equipment button to open your list of equipment.

12.) Find three pieces of equipment you'd like to edit and change them to the following (it is recommended to edit

Make sure to click "Enter" after setting the Range to save the piece of equipment.

14.) Download SmashPow! from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ssb-3ds-badge-editing-format.375308/page-3#post-5212943

15.) Open your save file with SmashPow! and find the pieces of equipment you edited previously.

16.) Individually, double click each piece of edited equipment then, once selected, right click the same piece of

17.) Save the changes you've made to the save file and put the edited "account_data.bin" and "system_data.bin" in

20.) If all went well, you should now have your original Smash Bros. save file with the SLAJ equipment edited into the
game. You can do whatever you'd like with it (transfer to Wii U, play on 3DS, etc.), however it is recommended
to make a custom character using the SLAJ set, open a lobby online and try to use the equipment. If it kicks you out,

The "How-To" text document in the starting kit has the same directions, in case you'd like to follow those. If you have any questions, just ask me.

tl;dr: SLAJ is literally SLHG with improvements -- works online, proper recoveries, better combos, etc., look above to download it.
I want to try this but I broke my laptop screen so I can't right now. Really nice improvisation on the no Special Smash online thing.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, since the SLAJ setup uses hacked equipment, there is some flexibility with regards to stats.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
However, we really should stick to the current build, rather than changing it up a lot.

BlueFury

Smash Cadet

---

Requirements:

---

*Method 1*

GO TO THE SECOND METHOD.

---

*Method 2*

---

*METHOD 3*

aww d**m unfortunately for me I don't own a 3ds or know anybody with one so I'll have to stick with SLHG for now.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Alright, first impressions on Bayonetta and Corrin in SLAJ:

oh my god this is the most fun I have ever had with Smash, they're so much ****ing fun, oh my goooooddd

BlueFury BlueFury , you know absolutely nobody who owns Smash 3DS? I don't know how old you are, but if you're still in school, try to find somebody with Smash 3DS and see if you can borrow it for a day.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
Yo Corrin's F-smash hits like a truck in SLHG. The only way I could beat my friend was to camp the middle with Peach.

Corrin feels extremely hard to approach in SLHG, I feel he/she would be much more managable with SLAJ's speed boost however. As it stands now he kinda wrecks half the cast with his range and power, WOW.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
The speed boost isn't so significant that it'll make approaching that much easier. Also... why aren't you just shielding F-Smash? If you're using dash shield against it, it really shouldn't be hard to punish because you won't be poked with max range tipper.

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
BlueFury BlueFury , you know absolutely nobody who owns Smash 3DS? I don't know how old you are, but if you're still in school, try to find somebody with Smash 3DS and see if you can borrow it for a day.[/QUOTE]

lol I've been out of high school for a little while haha but yea I really don't know anybody with one they mainly play ps4/ps3 or xbone/xbox360 so unless you guys find another way later on I'll be SLHG'n for now.

Yo Corrin's F-smash hits like a truck in SLHG. The only way I could beat my friend was to camp the middle with Peach.

Corrin feels extremely hard to approach in SLHG, I feel he/she would be much more managable with SLAJ's speed boost however. As it stands now he kinda wrecks half the cast with his range and power, WOW.
lol corrin's no joke no lie I honestly feel he/she is better than bayonetta (in vanilla) atm but it's the first day so that could change. As far as SLHG Bayonetta feels so much better and Corrin my d**n he sick.

Last edited:

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
The speed boost isn't so significant that it'll make approaching that much easier. Also... why aren't you just shielding F-Smash? If you're using dash shield against it, it really shouldn't be hard to punish because you won't be poked with max range tipper.
Im saying it hits hard, not that its unpunishable or is unavoidable. If you can go 3 matches without getting F-smashed then good for you, but characters like Fox, Meta Knight, Falco, Kirby, Jiggs, Doc, etc. become seriously threatened by this move that comes out lightning fast, goes 4 characters distances, kills off the side around 80%, has realitvely low risk, and has an insane amount of priority, AND can easily be combo'd into using N-air or a charged neutral B.

Corrin seems to be more untouchable with the lack of movement options with HG. You might be able to breach him in SLHG, but he can so quickly turn the tides back into his favor, I prefer to just run and zone him than fight head on. Corrin definitely defeats Marth in SLHG... seriously have fun with that matchup.

Last edited:

Zhyrri

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to get the exploit to work. Does anyone know if it works with System version 10.5.0-30U?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It works on every current existing firmware. What's the problem, Homebrew Launcher isn't loading or SaveDataManager won't inject?

Zhyrri

Smash Rookie
It says terminated script execution on the top screen, then flashes yellow, gray, then orange on the bottom screen. then after a bit goes back to the home menu with a pop up that says "An error has occurred. Pleases ave your data in any software currently in use, and then restart the system."

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Oh, go to browser settings and reset it. I forgot what the button is, but it's near the bottom and should be obvious.

EDIT: Also, to avoid clogging this thread, if anybody else is having trouble please PM me.

Last edited:

Zhyrri

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help Reserved, got it to work. Is there a skype or discord group or do we just post here for matches?

Leebee

Smash Cadet
wow, this is super exciting. I can't wait to try out SJAJ. I do like Vanilla Smash 4 a lot, I just always wanted it to be a bit faster and with more hitstun. this is like a dream come true?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'll be creating a SLAJ Discord in a bit, I need to get extra preparations ready, so it'll be made around the end of the weekend.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
However, we really should stick to the current build, rather than changing it up a lot.
Granted, I was thinking more of in the event that the entire community decides to vote on a stat change, it's possible to accommodate that, to a degree.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Oh, yeah. There's really nothing to change, though. Decreasing the speed would limit a lot of the benefits SLAJ has over SLHG, and increasing or decreasing attack will make attacks unbalanced.

Muro

Smash Lord
The thing I don't like about slaj is that due to the increased air speed everyone's got crazy good recoveries again. I guess having online makes it a lot easier to build a community around though, so even if slhg is the better metagame maybe we should hop on the slaj train.

At any rate I'm kind of on the same boat as veggiesteel, I don't really want to get involved with my local community, and I'm not gonna go through the trouble of modding for something nintendo made a point to take out.

So if any of the regulars want the ownership of this thread I'd appreciate it. I'll still be around to post though.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
what

have you actually tried SLAJ? the +22 speed doesn't make everybody as fast as Jigglypuff in the air

and there's literally no way you could ever say SLAJ has "too good recoveries" because over half the cast doesn't even have recovery differences from SLHG to SLAJ, it's just that characters like Duck Hunt and Sonic that were literally unusable are now fixed and work

Top Bottom