• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity (SLHG)

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Getting connection error, gonna try a couple more times.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Not sure what happened to the connection, sorry those last couple of matches were so laggy. But GGs, we had some good matches.

Muro

Smash Lord
yeah got laggy at the end there, GGs though. Kinda liking fox honestly. Falco fits me like a glove but the slow dash really ruins what could have been an excellent character.

Last edited:

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Lucarios grab game is dumb, he can rack up a ton of damage when he has low aura and when his aura is high he kills at disgustingly low %'s. He also has a lot of grab set ups dair-> grab, aura sphere charge-> grab, utilt-> grab. I nearly four stocked someones ganon yesterday because of how absurd his grab game is, but I love abusing it.

Last edited:

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
I've never touched the equipment before, so idk how it works.

Can you get those badges that are listed in the OP and make custom sets for each character using just those? Or do you have to get multiple of each to make sets?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Once you have the badges, they can be used for every character. Just don't accidentally sell them or feed them to an amiibo and you can use them as much as you'd like.

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
Once you have the badges, they can be used for every character. Just don't accidentally sell them or feed them to an amiibo and you can use them as much as you'd like.
Thank you! I've gotta get my friends into this, it sounds like so much fun

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
What's up everybody I've been following SLHG for a while and I've gotten my bro into it and we both love it.
Hope this catches on it speeds up the gameplay so much and of course what everybody likes (combos) lol.
I wanted to add that I've seen Zadd's recovery vid on youtube and I think I found a way Diddy Kong can recover a little better with his side custom 3 "Flying Monkey Flip." Of course with this option he gains height but he loses one of his approaches so it's an alternate for those who want to sacrifice for extra recovery and more off stage play so to speak.
I'll try to explain how to do it if I can that is lol...Anyway if you are hit ranging from diagonally upward to horizontally, you would then side b, jump and then up-b (hold depending on distance of course) then angle horizontally then curve upward and that should do the trick. I'm not sure if you use Capt. Falcon d-tilt if this will work the same since your knocked downwardly at an angle but I believe any other launch is possible with doing this.

Give me feedback If you guys find this works or not,

Respect.

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
Pretty cool to see some new avatars around here. There's a new thread on the way so don't go anywhere :p

Is it me or does fox's everything combo into a kill move? I think I might be switching mains. Pikachu is probably the best character in the game but I can't play him well, he takes a lot of work.

Last edited:

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
What's up everybody I've been following SLHG for a while and I've gotten my bro into it and we both love it.
Hope this catches on it speeds up the gameplay so much and of course what everybody likes (combos) lol.
I wanted to add that I've seen Zadd's recovery vid on youtube and I think I found a way Diddy Kong can recover a little better with his side custom 3 "Flying Monkey Flip." Of course with this option he gains height but he loses one of his approaches so it's an alternate for those who want to sacrifice for extra recovery and more off stage play so to speak.
I'll try to explain how to do it if I can that is lol...Anyway if you are hit ranging from diagonally upward to horizontally, you would then side b, jump and then up-b (hold depending on distance of course) then angle horizontally then curve upward and that should do the trick. I'm not sure if you use Capt. Falcon d-tilt if this will work the same since your knocked downwardly at an angle but I believe any other launch is possible with doing this.

Give me feedback If you guys find this works or not,

Respect.
Welcome aboard we have cookies, did some testing and it does help a little as you mentioned, i just wanna note that with the way you are getting back to the ledge you are VERY vulnerable to being gimped and mixups aren't entirely possible, but at least he can make it to the ledge so its something to keep note of. I personally see it being useful against character who have bad off stage play like fox, but against anyone with a half decent off stage game i would stick with vanilla diddy, but this is a nice tho.

Just wanna throw out that my router is behaving tonight so im up for a few games if any1 is interested.

Last edited:

Hyper_Kirby

Smash Cadet
Pretty cool to see some new avatars around here. There's a new thread on the way so don't go anywhere :p

Is it me or does fox's everything combo into a kill move? I think I might be switching mains. Pikachu is probably the best character in the game but I can't play him well, he takes a lot of work.
Fox does combo into kill moves alot. Heres a few tips. Full hop dair auto cancels and the last hit comes out just a few frames before he lands. The last hit is great for combos. And at high percents just sh dair for up smash.
Foward air semi spikes as we notice. Heres a combo that does alot but can be teched. At mid-high percents, uptilt (make sure you hit the sweet spot that sends them at an angle to where they go in front of you. Then full hop (double jump if needed) fair but fast fall so you dont hit the last hit. If they miss the tech, pivot up tilt and repeat it. Finish with an up smash if they still miss the tech or chase them if they hit it

Last edited:

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
Welcome aboard we have cookies, did some testing and it does help a little as you mentioned, i just wanna note that with the way you are getting back to the ledge you are VERY vulnerable to being gimped and mixups aren't entirely possible, but at least he can make it to the ledge so its something to keep note of. I personally see it being useful against character who have bad off stage play like fox, but against anyone with a half decent off stage game i would stick with vanilla diddy, but this is a nice tho.

Just wanna throw out that my router is behaving tonight so im up for a few games if any1 is interested.
Yea as you stated it hurts him a little bit on stage and off at times but it is option nonetheless. He can also b-side reverse as the opponent recovers if timed correctly he can spike them and still recover off the successful side b. So that's why I stated he has off stage play "so to speak" lol. I mean he still can recover with his original up-b horizontally but that's not really a reliable option all the time. I really tested it out so more players would welcome SLHG since most people's first impressions are the recoveries hurt it too much to be taking seriously. Although since Diddy's combo game is already pretty strong his default set might be that bad of a choice *cough* lol jk

Anyway I'm glad my option was of some use, a good addition or even considered by the SLHG community, I hope it helps welcome more players even if it's a tad bit.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
1. Trying to balance sheik in this mode isn't necessary. Previous fighting ges had worse balance and they still were excellent because of GAME MECHANICS (which you guys did pretty well with).
2 I have smooth lander and item hitter, but not moon launcher. What's the next best thing?
3. Anybody want to play?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Double post, but I want to make something clear:
I think that instead of the requirements being the exact what it is (smooth land, item hit, moon launch), that it should be that your set should match it as close as possible with the stats and effects.

WhatsInAUsername

Smash Rookie
1. Trying to balance sheik in this mode isn't necessary. Previous fighting ges had worse balance and they still were excellent because of GAME MECHANICS (which you guys did pretty well with).
2 I have smooth lander and item hitter, but not moon launcher. What's the next best thing?
3. Anybody want to play?
If you're lacking moon launcher, I don't know what to tell you, since that's one of the only non RNG equipment that balances the SLHG set :/ Is there no way for you to get it?

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
Ok first, can you get the Moon Launcher? Why not? Second, the next best thing would be to unlock challenge D7 (Caloric Immortal Protection Badge) that nets you with -4 / -9 / -5 stats but with the side effect of 5 sec invincibility after eating. I would still say it's best to unlock moon launcher for the adjusted knockback and to play with the same build as everyone else.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I guess I'll have to reset my data :/. Ima do it soon, just not right now.
But this is DEFINITLY going to be my main way of playing competitively. Ima try to spread this as much as possible.
EDIT: finally got all the pieces. Really fun ting here. I think all you guys should check these guides out for improvement of fundamentals:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/the-basics-of-soulcalibur.15258/

Last edited:

Hyper_Kirby

Smash Cadet
Sheik combos are kinda butt if you DI down and tech, lol.
True, but it all depends on weight. Also in Melee, Sheik couldn't get guaranteed combos out of down throw but she could tech chase. I imagine its no different here.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
True, but it all depends on weight. Also in Melee, Sheik couldn't get guaranteed combos out of down throw but she could tech chase. I imagine its no different here.
That uh, depends on what version of Melee and against what character. She has chain grabs for days on most of the cast in the NTSC version rofl

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
played a couple of matches with @CaptainEllipsis just a couple minutes ago. D3 is my new main character as he plays how i want to play the game and is a fun keep out and pushy character (also, ROB's my venilla main, so can't use him here). not to mention he gets tons of damage from hit confirms and has a dangerous edgeguarding game.

Hyper_Kirby

Smash Cadet
Well the "Character" varies in weight so i covered that down. I didn't mention her chain grab, because smash 4 has an anti chain grab mechanic. (However if you fast fall your up air so the last hit doesn't connection, you can chain grab with Shiek)

Hyper_Kirby

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to tell you that I've been experimenting with many customs. I'm sure everyone has though :/.
Mario- His Fast fire ball custom is awesome for resets. If your opponent get knocked away to far to where you can't reset him with a jab, this is your go to option. Also I enjoy using his Explosive Jump Punch when I'm in the middle of an up air combo. An amazing roofie option.
*Note- Doc can't reset with Jab so using his Fast Pill IS your go to option.
Peach- I love her but I honestly don't use her customs much. I notice that I can use the Explosive Side B as a kill combo out of her down throw.
Bowser- Nothing for me to say. Literally everyone knows about this guy.
DK- Dongnado is all ya need. And his Electic down b is insanely strong.
G&W- His heavy version of the trampoline has crazy kill power. When ever I'm struggling for a kill, this move always has my back. Even using it out of down throw is a good option.
Sheik- All I really use is Piercing Needles and her grenade that pulls your opponent towards you. The grenade is a good combo starter/tech chaser
Ganon- Another character who we know all about.
Toon Link- I customized his up b to the rising one that knock opponents vertically. (Its a better recovery). But I also gave him the bombs that explode basically as they are pulled out. It works well for bomb jumping and running up in shield on an opponent will have it explode of you (shield will block it) and you can proceed to combo you opponent (if they don't avoid it. (If they dl block it, you have a tether grab so they still have limited options)
Link- I like using hi meteor bombs to reset or tech chase opponents.
Samus- Her customs are amazing. Dense charge shot, Relentless Missles, Slip Bomb, and Apex screw attack work magic.
Kirby- Jumping Inhale is great for reading techs. I like finishing combos with his Dolphin Slash-like up b. Meteor stone is super hype and reading tech in place with hammer is the best.
Fox- "His Drill Up B shall pierce the heavens!!!" And his impact blaster works like Marios fast fireball.
Falco- Fast Fire bird is great for combo starters and his Purple shine is a great spacing tool.
Pikachu- Everyone should be aware his Thunder Wave custom does infinite. And heavy skull bash kills stupid early.
Charizard- All versions of his side a great for reading tech chases. Comboing into his heavy up is super satisfying. (His heavy up b is a terrible recovery movr but if you jump and use up b at the same time you get extra height. Keep it in mind to survive going deep)
Jigglypuff- If you don't won't to use her default down b she has a custom one which has her leap into the air. (You can use it for recovery but it helps on the smashville platform since it goes slightly over the blast line.) Her leaping rest is a combo finisher. Just up throw... You know the REST!
Falcon- You should all be aware the lighting falcon kick can infinite. Also I enjoy finishing my up air combos with falcon strike. Of if down air sends your opponent to high for a knee or up air just falcon strike for a star KO.
MegaMan- Tornado hold is good for combo starters. If you combo it into danget warp you could might even kill!
Sonic- As we all know, his custom up b's won't save his recovery nerf. We also know hammer spin dash gave him a extra bounce to aid his recovery. But did you know suprise homing attack send Sonic slight upwards? That can possibly help his recovery as well. But lets face it. Sonic doesn't deserve to be good...

Muro

Smash Lord
Barring some surprise, this update is gonna be great. Not only do we get tourny mode with special smash included but also built in youtube uploads. Sharing gameplay videos is gonna be so much easier.

Remember to record your replays before updating guys @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima @ ZADD ZADD @ ArtfulHobbes ArtfulHobbes .

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
hey guys, i'm setting up a tourny myself. it's gonna start in 15 mins.
the password is SLHG
EDIT: ima postpone it until later.

Last edited:

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
Also... I'm sorry for the double post but I have distressing news.

SLHG online is no longer a thing.

It was great playing games with all of you, but now comes the challenge of trying to get locals to play it.

Good luck everyone.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

It was great playing games with all of you, but now comes the challenge of trying to get locals to play it.

Good luck everyone.
How us this possible when tourny modes allow special smash rules?

BlueFury

Smash Cadet

Good luck everyone.
Art please tell me this isn't true...man this sucks...

Top Bottom