• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashTV - Episode I - Tires Don Exits

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Welcome to the first episode of SmashTV, Smashblog’s weekly “broadcast” of Smash-related videos shown every Saturday. This is your host, <strong>The Buzz Saw</strong>!

In our first episode, we will be analyzing the idea that <a href="http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Tires_don_exits">Tires Don Exits</a>. The most recent manifestation of this phenomenon is the fabled player Bum’s incredible performance at MLG with - gasp - <em>Donkey Kong</em>. The big monkey, while low on the tier list and thought to be no match in the competitive environment, proved to be quite powerful in pro play. Bum simply applied a number pro player disciplines (impeccable spacing, in particular) to demonstrate that DK can definitely play with the big boys. Below are some landmark matches.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuGMUzKIlnk">Bum (DK) vs Isai (CFalcon)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3vE_Ec0q5s">Bum (DK) vs Killafox (Fox)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-LJ7KAEy-k">Bum (DK) vs ChuDat (Ice Climbers)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCJx8MvBuPA">Bum (DK) vs PC Chris (Falco)</a>

Another low tier destiny child is the almighty Gimpyfish. He plays Bowser because he likes the character and for no other reason! Regardless, by dedicating his energy to one character so valiantly, he has proven that Bowser actually <em>can</em> compete with the big boys! Fox has nothing on <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8lhqyLL9Y">mad Bowser combos</a>. Here are some extraordinary Bowser performances.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76P9qV-gzMU">Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs L (Sheik)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhLEM-cHnw">Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs Eggz (Marth)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odkm5RG6vdI">Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs Hitsugaya (Peach)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705YL5_wkDM">Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs Tiep (Samus)</a>

Taj is another well-known low tier legend. After taking Mewtwo to a whole new level, players began rethinking the game. By taking advantage of moves in unconventional ways, low tier characters can be brought up to par with faster characters. For instance, Gimpyfish uses Bowser’s up-B often, and Taj uses forward-air SHFFLs. Why? They are fast moves stored inside rather slow characters.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLiRBAKWEeU">Taj (Mewtwo) vs Forward (Falco)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u89hqpmQwqE">Taj (Mewtwo) vs Omar (Sheik)</a>

And just for good measure, here are two low tier masters at work:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNx9NjfYVg">Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs Taj (Mewtwo)</a> - poor quality :(

So, how are these players able to take otherwise “bad” characters and defeat opponents they “should” stand no chance against? I narrow it down to one word: <strong>discipline</strong>. One particular method comes to mind when working with a low tier character - <strong>Restrain Your Compulsive Offense</strong> - If you know you will be punished for doing it, <em>why are you doing it???</em> It seems that no matter how much experience I gain, this one still kills me. Oftentimes, we as smashers see openings in our opponents’ defense but fail to weigh the consequences of using particular moves, only to be destroyed in return. If you know your opponent is going to shield grab your dash attack, why would you attempt a dash attack? Focus on using tactics that let you deal damage and escape! This is why, for example, you almost never see Gimpyfish use Bowser’s down-B (the butt bomb). Aside from using it to grab the ledge, the move has far too much lag upon landing, and good opponents know how to avoid and punish that. He thinks up new tricks for dealing with opponents who are below him.

So, what is the point? When Brawl hits the streets, I hope to high heavens that everyone does not rush out to establish a tier list and start focusing on only the “best” characters. Play characters you like, develop strategies for them, and show the world what <em>you</em> are made of, not your character.

Sir James

The Doctor
Awesome job with the SmashTV article. I think it brings out a really good point: don't just play Fox to "be good". Play a character that you enjoy playing and develop strategies. Playing smart is better than playing technical in my opinion. Again, great job. I haven't seen these videos in a while (some I haven't seen at all).

Unfortunately, tiers will be established the day the game comes out. We'll probably see a teir list from Japan after they have played it in January.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Awesome job on the article, Buzz! Thumbs up!
Well, since the programmers of the game are human beings like the rest of us, it's impossible to balance each character out in comparison to the others. Hence, there will always be a "better" and "worse" character.

However! Indeed! The character one plays does not say anything about the players skill! Whether technical skill or tactical skill. Players such the aforementioned Bum, Gimpy and Taj are living proof!

I main Kirby. I have mained him in SSB64 where some people would tell me I just played as him because he owns and that I wouldn't play as him if he were weaker. Well, in SSBM I've still mained and am still maining him, simply because I like the character so much!

Anyway, nice article! Great job! Keep it up!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Ka-master is another excellent example. I did not think of every low tier player out there. Forgive me. I'll revisit this in episode XXV or sometime close to that.

Xsyven, I am not amazing enough to brag about in the forum's official blog. :laugh:

greenblob

Smash Lord
I find that on the whole, top/high tier characters are more enjoyable to play. They tend to have more options, more combos, and just more stuff they can do in general. I mean, compare Roy and Marth. Roy is stuck with single attacks while Marth can combo you to death. I find comboing to be much more fun than trying to pull off single hits. Or how about Sheik vs. Pichu? Sheik can get very creative with edgeguards, while Pichu is somewhat limited in his options.

Of course, there are always exceptions (Pika can combo pretty well, for example), and new techniques are being discovered all the time.
But that kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? You have a favorite character that's bottom tier, but you keep going at it, discovering new techniques along the way. If that character does have good hidden characteristics, he'll end up moving up the tier list as they're discovered. Your low tier character is suddenly now high tier.

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
I, too, was hoping for a little tidbit of Buzz and his Young Link, but modesty is good thing, right? ;)

Being a player who uses low-tier characters (and refuses to use high-tier), it's nice to see some underdog appreciation. A nice grand opening for a promising series. :cool:

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Play who you like, whether it's High or low tier.... If you're gonna play high-tier, play because you enjoy them, not because you're trying to be pro. If you're gonna play low-tier, play because you enjoy them, not because you're trying to prove some point. Refusing to play a character because of their tier is ********. Refuse to play them because you don't enjoy playing them. Example, I refuse to play Zelda because I think she's an absolute bore to play. I'd rather play Sheik than Zelda because Sheik's alot more fun. I'd ather play Young Link than Link. and I'd rather play Ice Climbers than any other character.

Play who suits you.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
i agree on just about everthing u should of put vidjos pichu on their or azens luigi i still think luigi is an amazing charachter yes i do play competitive nd no i dont use him, but for fun i do i mean good arials best wavedash he aint bad i think ness is nasty 2

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't pick my characters on tiers, I pick them off feel, and how I work with them. I don't care how cool they are outside of smash, I just use them because I love how they work, I love playing them, and I love how playing as them feels. Yes, Fox (highest character on the tiers) is my best character, but my two other mains are Link (a "low tier"), and Falco (2nd highest tier). I also secondary Roy (low tier), Peach (high tier), and Ness (bottom tier).

Tiers are kind of overrated to be honest.

Skill > Mindgames > Situation > Character matchups > Stage(s) > Tiers

Someone1

Smash Rookie
The internet (due to an unnatural phenomenon which
Sorry about double update!

There are four reasons people might use a certain character:
1. Because of 'tiers'
2. Because they simply may be skillful at the character
3. They liked the character from somewhere outside smash
4. They simply enjoy:
a. the novelty of the character
b. the pure 'fun' of playing as the character

greenblob

Smash Lord
I don't pick my characters on tiers, I pick them off feel, and how I work with them. I don't care how cool they are outside of smash, I just use them because I love how they work, I love playing them, and I love how playing as them feels. Yes, Fox (highest character on the tiers) is my best character, but my two other mains are Link (a "low tier"), and Falco (2nd highest tier). I also secondary Roy (low tier), Peach (high tier), and Ness (bottom tier).

Tiers are kind of overrated to be honest.

Skill > Mindgames > Situation > Character matchups > Stage(s) > Tiers
But with most competitive smashers, top tier characters have a better "feel." Faster characters feel more natural than slower characters, mobility is a big contributer to the tier list (compare Jiggs and Kirby, for example), and top tier characters are more fluid and can combo better than lower tier characters.

peach-man

Smash Journeyman
The sweet, sweet land of sweet, sweet, chocolate,
@ Someone, it's better if you just change your first post rather than creating a new post...
Anyway, I always main peach, not because I liked her or because I thought that she was good.
Actually, I thought that she was going to stink... I didn't even know there were tires back then...

@ gblob, that is not quite correct. As some have already said, secrets still need to be discoverd, such as new combo's for low tiers.
f.e.: jiggs can dance in the sky's (liturally) with her airials if you use them correctly

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
no you can't see it that way if you like a charecter you just want to be
a pro in the game or what ever.......that's what most players want:)

peach-man

Smash Journeyman
The sweet, sweet land of sweet, sweet, chocolate,
I can't really point out what you mean princess...
You don't like a character because you want to be a pro. Well, in the most cases.
There are other things that are involved:
-You just want to try the char out
-You like the character for some reason
-You want some variation by trying more than one char -mostly totally different ones-
-What you say: you want them cause you want "good" characters
-Others that I didn't mention

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
No Kirby Love? :(

Kirby is the worst character between Bowser, Mewtwo, and DK. Seriously, his moves don't set up for anything. He doesn't have kill moves. He's light. His recovery sucks. His grabs suck.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
LOL! I apologize for so many neglected low tier characters. I did not realize there were high hopes for this article. Anyway, someday when I write "Tires Stil Don Exits", I'll be sure to include all of them. ;)

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
No Kirby Love? :(

Kirby is the worst character between Bowser, Mewtwo, and DK. Seriously, his moves don't set up for anything. He doesn't have kill moves. He's light. His recovery sucks. His grabs suck.

:(:(:(:(:(:(
oh come on you know it's not true
us light weight players have our own way to win
like in your videos you usually win so you shouldn't say that;)

JFox

Smash Hero
Chu Dat vs Bum is on there twice. One is marked "Pc Chris Vs Bum" but its actually a duplicate of Chu vs Bum. You should fix that.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
princess peach 777 do u ever have any idea wat ur talking about kirbykid only wins with kirby because hes godly kirby is low tier for sure not worst then mewto imo taj is insaneeeee

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
its not english class im not typing with grammar fruit ill make it clear for u though kirby = low tier

Florida

イーグランツ
Excellent report!

Though, tiers do exist >.>
The only reason why low-tier players win matches against high-tier players, is simply because they're better at the game. If you had two equally good players, one being Fox and the other being Mewtwo, the Fox player would always win.

SmashTV seems like an excellent idea!
One episode every week, right? Keep it up! I'll definitely be keeping a lookout for these! ;)

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
its not english class im not typing with grammar fruit ill make it clear for u though kirby = low tier
I know it's not English class, but you should do your best to type in complete sentences.

Trust me on this one.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
Fine. I will try to type more gramatically. lol what's ironic is that while i was saying that i'm not typing gramatically i in the middle of doing an english essay lol

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
This is one of those blog entries that everyone on Smashboards should read. I fully endorse it, and while tier lists sort of have their reason for existence, I hate to even think about it until at least a good year or 2 after release.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping that Brawl's supposedly floatier physics system helps balance things out.
Maybe I simply didn't play 64 as hardcore (I didn't), but it felt more balanced to me.

Top Bottom