• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smashing at school

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
After counter strike was banned I got many people playing ssb64 on their flash drives. Many people like or at least thought well of it. But there are a fair problems I would like help with.

1. Before anything else I need to know how to set up connection on the LAN lines so we can do teams and stuff.

2. With the keyboard it is near impossible to SH with or not run. I can't do it on 1/4 but every 10th try and I can SHFFL in melee at 2x as fox solidly. We can't set it up with controllers and junk or slow down the frame rate is there some any to make it a little less sensitive or better controls?

I'm hoping to bring them into high level smash melee and ssb64 so there will be more players in IN.

Plus if the ssb64 thing works out chances are that many people will play it like they did with counter strike where it's been around our school for about 5 or more years and I go to a school of over 4000.

Thank you for any advice and I hope you understand why I didn't just post in the Q & A.

D

Deleted member

1. I'm not sure, you can try joining a kaillera server and just playing 2+ players there

2. did u try assigning a button to a c button for short hopping? I find it impossible to jump with up I set c button jump to CAPS LOCK

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
1. any idea how you look for LAN lines on it?

2. I think I will try that how do you switch the buttons?

thanks for not being a jerk like many people i've seen today.

dandan

Smash Lord
go to your input setting in pj, and attach one of the c buttons to the button you want, and remember that you still need to press the button lightly, might take some getting used to, but you will get it at the end.

and in order to walk, you need to buffer it, either after a jump or an attack.

DMoogle

A$
remember that you still need to press the button lightly
Not lightly, but quickly. Keyboards (and I think N64 controllers too) can't sense how hard you press a button down (some controllers, like the PS2 controller, can), only for how long it is pressed down.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I can ping the servers but I can't actually join them; I get stuck at "Connecting".

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I personally use the / key for short hops since its right over my normal jump keys.

dandan

Smash Lord
you can just download a server app and run a server in one of the computers, really easy, you just have to make sure it is in dmz mode.

NeoKronos

Smash Apprentice
I personally use the / key for short hops since its right over my normal jump keys.
Here's my KB configuration (some call it cramped I call it simple and effective):

Z = M
R = ,
A = .
B = /
C Button = SH = RightShift
Directional Arrows for Up Down Left Right

That way shorthop is right above your Up key (depends on the KB). Hope I helped =P

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Here's my KB configuration (some call it cramped I call it simple and effective):

Z = M
R = ,
A = .
B = /
C Button = SH = RightShift
Directional Arrows for Up Down Left Right

That way shorthop is right above your Up key (depends on the KB). Hope I helped =P
This topic is now about keyboard setups

Skrlx

Smash Champion
my OLD keyboard setup: (the best keyboard setup IMO)

A: Key A
B: Key S
Up C: Key C
L: Key E
R: Key D
Z: Key Z
Start: Enter key

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
My old Keyboard setup before I got the SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY INCLUDING DI: Controller:

A = A

B = D

c^ = Lshift

c> = Lctrl

Z = SPACE BAR

L = Q

R = E

ARROWKEYS <v^>

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
After counter strike was banned I got many people playing ssb64 on their flash drives. Many people like or at least thought well of it. But there are a fair problems I would like help with.

1. Before anything else I need to know how to set up connection on the LAN lines so we can do teams and stuff.

2. With the keyboard it is near impossible to SH with or not run. I can't do it on 1/4 but every 10th try and I can SHFFL in melee at 2x as fox solidly. We can't set it up with controllers and junk or slow down the frame rate is there some any to make it a little less sensitive or better controls?

I'm hoping to bring them into high level smash melee and ssb64 so there will be more players in IN.

Plus if the ssb64 thing works out chances are that many people will play it like they did with counter strike where it's been around our school for about 5 or more years and I go to a school of over 4000.

Thank you for any advice and I hope you understand why I didn't just post in the Q & A.
OMG this is pretty awesome and I used to do this all the time. You guys could try playing via the p2p client and just use local area ip to connect with.

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
Clearly you've never learned how to DI properly or never played anyone who really knows how to DI with keyboard.

teh icy comes to mind.
Oh i'm not saying that it's easier or anything on controller. I'm just saying that the end result of mastering DI on controller can be equal that of keyboard. Possibly greater. However, i'll admit that my keyboard isn't the best for DI. I heard that laptop arrow pads are great for it... Well, I just know that some people really think controller DI is near impossible when it's very easy. Players like Kabal come to mind.

"Or never played anyone who really knows how to DI with keyboard" That's probably it.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Clearly you've never learned how to DI properly or never played anyone who really knows how to DI with keyboard.

teh icy comes to mind.
I was going to post mentioning DI, and then lol'd seeing that.

I actually use a controller, but I use retardedly (good) DI, though I could never fathom doing it for real.

dandan

Smash Lord
DI is hard and I suck at it even with kb lol.
i think you just need some tips from someone who is good at it, as it is not hard to learn,
pm me if you want any (sorry for sounding stuck up), i may not be the best player in europe,
but my di is pretty sweet.

dandan

Smash Lord
download kaillera server 0.86 for windows, i am guessing your school has windows and not linux

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Oh i'm not saying that it's easier or anything on controller. I'm just saying that the end result of mastering DI on controller can be equal that of keyboard. Possibly greater. However, i'll admit that my keyboard isn't the best for DI. I heard that laptop arrow pads are great for it... Well, I just know that some people really think controller DI is near impossible when it's very easy. Players like Kabal come to mind.

"Or never played anyone who really knows how to DI with keyboard" That's probably it.
For a true DI distance wise, keyboard is unbeatable for a controller. Pressing a button repeatedly is always faster than mashing a stick.
On the other hand, a controller is probably better for DI'ing into all the different directions

Battlecow

Play to Win
We got some carzy keyboard settings here. How do you guys even play with those? oh well. I'm sure mine sounds just as weird:

WASD for movement

T is A
Y is B
U is Z
J is a c-button, it doesn't matter which one
E is R
Q is L
Tab is start.

Also, Keyboard DI is better. That's what I'd say if I could DI with any reasonable consistency on either keyboard or controller.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
For a true DI distance wise, keyboard is unbeatable for a controller. Pressing a button repeatedly is always faster than mashing a stick.
On the other hand, a controller is probably better for DI'ing into all the different directions
I use the Controller Pad on my controller, despite there being two controller sticks. Just feels more natural for some reason. Except I can't play on an actual console properly.

Kilo16

Smash Rookie
You guys and your keyboards...try an ORIGINAL XBOX CONTROLLER...not trying to advertise or anything just saying if u have some sodering skills you can just do what i did. Youtube>LucSkywalker16>Xbox to PC tutorial Part 1 & 2

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
You guys and your keyboards...try an ORIGINAL XBOX CONTROLLER...not trying to advertise or anything just saying if u have some sodering skills you can just do what i did. Youtube>LucSkywalker16>Xbox to PC tutorial Part 1 & 2
Or for those who are less inclined, just buy an Xbox360 controller which already can plug into USB and has drivers ready and available online for free.

Top Bottom