• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashfests every WEDnesday 5pm-midnight at UMBC

Vist

Smash Champion
UMBC SS- I want to get Brawl/Melee tournaments at UMBC again and I take it you're probably done hosting smash tournaments. You got any advice as far as getting the go ahead from UMBC to host stuff there at the commons?

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
UMBC SS- I want to get Brawl/Melee tournaments at UMBC again and I take it you're probably done hosting smash tournaments. You got any advice as far as getting the go ahead from UMBC to host stuff there at the commons?
Back when I hosted tournaments in the game room, I would just go through the game room supervisor and make sure no other groups reserved the room on Saturday from 10am-5pm. Typically no other groups cared for Saturdays, and the game room goes mostly unused then, so sometimes I just hosted a tournament without telling anyone.

We have new staff in the Commons, though, and they seem more "by the book" now. If you want to be absolutely safe (and if you would like to use the University Center Ballroom to host mega tourneys like Pound 3), then you need to start a new student organization. I was 2 centimeters away from founding the Smash Bros. Club. I actually created the Constitution, got it critiqued by the Student Organizations Board, and I revised it. I didn't end up doing it because I foresaw my drop in interest in the near future. I also didn't think the club would withstand the test of time. However, I believe a larger, more encompassing group such as The VideoGame Club- which includes hosting tournaments for pc LANs, console games, and other forms of video games - would last forever. UMBC has tons of geeks, and I would have no difficulty getting hundreds of members for such a club. If you would like to help found an organization such as the aforementioned, then I would gladly help and be the President or VP or whatever position.

If that sounds good to you, or you have some other idea, then contact me soon to get the ball rolling. It takes a number of weeks to found a student organization. My aim is UMBC SS | cell is 410 660 9196 | email is daniel.r.lucas at gmail dot c0m

Vist

Smash Champion
Back when I hosted tournaments in the game room, I would just go through the game room supervisor and make sure no other groups reserved the room on Saturday from 10am-5pm. Typically no other groups cared for Saturdays, and the game room goes mostly unused then, so sometimes I just hosted a tournament without telling anyone.

We have new staff in the Commons, though, and they seem more "by the book" now. If you want to be absolutely safe (and if you would like to use the University Center Ballroom to host mega tourneys like Pound 3), then you need to start a new student organization. I was 2 centimeters away from founding the Smash Bros. Club. I actually created the Constitution, got it critiqued by the Student Organizations Board, and I revised it. I didn't end up doing it because I foresaw my drop in interest in the near future. I also didn't think the club would withstand the test of time. However, I believe a larger, more encompassing group such as The VideoGame Club- which includes hosting tournaments for pc LANs, console games, and other forms of video games - would last forever. UMBC has tons of geeks, and I would have no difficulty getting hundreds of members for such a club. If you would like to help found an organization such as the aforementioned, then I would gladly help and be the President or VP or whatever position.

If that sounds good to you, or you have some other idea, then contact me soon to get the ball rolling. It takes a number of weeks to found a student organization. My aim is UMBC SS | cell is 410 660 9196 | email is daniel.r.lucas at gmail dot c0m
cool, ill probably contact you at some point soon when im not so busy

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Hey Dan,

I've been kind of out of the scene for a bit but I'm still playing Brawl...I just realized it's Wednesday now and about 6:30 and I'm already doing stuff and I will probably see you guys next week or something. I would love to come to a Pound 4 or something. I want to get back into the smash scene a bit. You guys playing mostly Brawl now?

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Hey Dan,

I've been kind of out of the scene for a bit but I'm still playing Brawl...I just realized it's Wednesday now and about 6:30 and I'm already doing stuff and I will probably see you guys next week or something. I would love to come to a Pound 4 or something. I want to get back into the smash scene a bit. You guys playing mostly Brawl now?
I haven't played Brawl since before summer. A lot of people still play it, though I think many people realize that Melee is where it's at.

Top Bottom