• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashCAP 4: Art Submissions

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
[SmashCAP 4]
Start date: 8/1/10
End date: --/--/--
Concept: Sunnyside Up
Type: Grass / Dragon
Base Stats: 65 / 67 / 77 / 135 / 77 / 124

Terywj said:
Concept: Sunnyside Up
Analysis: Face it. Sunny Day sucks in the OU metagame. Sandstorm has Tyranitar, and benefits a bunch of appropriate Pokemon. Hail has Abomasnow and to a lesser extent Walrein, Froslass, and Mamoswine. Rain became a dominant force by Kingdra itself, and not only that but there are more viable sweepers under the Rain such as Kabutops and Ludicolo, etc. The problem with Sunny Day is that the benefits are just too wrongly distributed. Grass-types who through Cholorphyll benefit the most from Sunny Day and Solarbeam are absolutely murdered by the 50% boost in Fire-type attacks. The Fire-type Pokemon who enjoy the said boost will also gain a 50% resistance to Water-type attacks, but lack the Speed increase. How could we craft such a Pokemon so that it gains the benefits of Sunny Day, while keeping it viable in the metagame?
Extra: Taking note, this is basically a "Kingdra in the Sun" concept. A Pokemon who through typing, ability, and stats would be able to fully abuse the weather and benefits of Sunny Day.
Art submissions will now begin. Pool ideas for what you want SmashCAP 4 to look like. Artists may post drafts or drawings they have done / planned, and non-artists are free to suggest ideas and possible changes for draft submissions and the like. Keep in mind SmashCAP 4's typing, abilities, and base stats. These will be crucial in determining the looks of the Pokemon.
Artwork will also be a major driving factor during name submissions / discussions.

Onward we march~~

ss118

Smash Master
I'm honestly thinking of a dragon-like Shaymin-s. Maybe a bit snake-like to give it the sleek feeling, but don't forget to incorporate grass-like qualities and stuff.

Also, adjust the belly for thick fat.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I had a really good design thought up for this guy.

And then Thick Fat sorta ruined it lol.

Oh well.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
wait...this pokemon totally makes sense

a not bulky thick fat dragon, it makes so much sense

i guess we could give it a slimy look, so that the way thick fat works is instead, we gave it slime coat (which has the same effect as thick fat, but works for aesthetic instances) as the slime protects it from the extreme cold and extreme heat

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Keep in mind the following:

Purugly and Miltank both have good base Speed stats and have Thick Fat. Grumpig also has Thick Fat. You don't have to be "fat" to be Thick Fat.

Raikou and Sceptile and bigger creatures and have fast base Speeds. Sceptile would be a great example since I believe Sceptile is in the Dragon breeding group.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
milktak, purugly, and grumpig are fat/have really thick fur

raikou and sceptile aren't as fat as those 3 are

mood4food77

Smash Hero
that works too

his stats don't really even bring any sort of bulk like the other dragons but to give him thick fat kind of seem weirds, i just feel like giving him something else that is Thick fat-like would actually work better with his looks

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Or we could just do this

I plan on making a colored version, but first want to know if any adjustments need to be made first.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The head looks awkward coming down from the neck, and I think the legs need more adjustment to match the body if you're aiming for the "raptor"-esque picture.

ss118

Smash Master
I like the idea of ultimario's. And this is more of a rough draft than anything, since it's really the sprite that has to look fast.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I wanted to get the artwork stage done to determine the name, etc. But do you think we should hold the Name Submissions thread alongside this one?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Okay, here's something I thought up:

It's a big, green solar dragon! The reflective scales on its body are able to absorb large amounts of sunlight and store them as thermal energy. It can use the energy to power its wings and fly. It usually appears and thrives in places near the North and South Poles where the sun shines 24 hours a day, absorbing as much light as it can.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Wrong thread, flyinfilipino, that goes in the Black / White or Fan Art threads

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Ouch, you're lowering my Internet self-esteem.

Seriously though, if the resemblance is that uncanny, I guess it's back to the drawing board. Or I could just try to draw some other reptile with leaves on it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You guys don't have to be so harsh.

While I do like the idea of using the solar panels, etc. I think it would be a good choice to make them more significant to the SmashCAP as a whole and not just through making it seems metallic. Keep in mind that there's Thick Fat as well. Perhaps a bulky-esque creature similar to yours with solar panels grafted as wings?

Also, Spire said he was working on something or expressed interest to work on something for this. :3

Spire

III
BRoomer
I started a few sketches last night while I was working on the Termina painting that I posted in the Zelda Fan Art thread.

I'll find the time today to continue working on them :080:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
While I do like the idea of using the solar panels, etc. I think it would be a good choice to make them more significant to the SmashCAP as a whole and not just through making it seems metallic. Keep in mind that there's Thick Fat as well. Perhaps a bulky-esque creature similar to yours with solar panels grafted as wings?
What do you mean by more significant to the SmashCAP? Less solar things, more...? The stats and ability seem to contradict each other, but I guess there are ways around it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yeah that's a slight problem for everyone, but my main point was with yoru drawing you made SmashCAP 4 more Grass / Steel or Dragon / Steel with its skin.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I like the solar panel idea ff, but it does resemble Zekrom a little too much :ohwell:

Keep the concept but rework the design and you'll have a stellar entry!

Spire

III
BRoomer
The only thing that I see potentially 'wrong' with the solar panel idea is that it automatically constitutes a Steel typing, namely Grass/Steel (a perfect combination for the concept). If you could make them more natural-looking solar panels, then power be to you because that'd work out fine.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Okay, attempt #2:

I tried to make it look a little more organic and even changed the wings a little. It's not in the best pose, though. Better or worse?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I like this form better, but I still believe you could loosen the "Steel" of the wings. The carvings on the tail are leaves, right?
Maybe. They're supposed to be more like modified scales...but I guess they can be modified more. And yes, the tail is covered in plant matter, sort of like a banana tree.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
If I can find some colored pencils somewhere in my dorm. :urg:
Alright. I was just wondering. I remembered your submission for Lilibelle also lacked color, and that gave the spriters some sense of freedom when they were making the sprites. It's completely up to you, but I think it'd be better if it were colored.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The wings don't really need those outlines, since you can make them come alive with color and shading and textures and stuff.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think you should lose the wings altogether

he doesn't have levitate nor is he part flying

Top Bottom