• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashbros.com ...Spoiling Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Seeing Giga Bowser for the first time would've been one of the coolest thing ever.

But I cannot help but look at the site each and every weekday.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
You willingly go to the website and then question if it is spoiling brawl?

Yes obviously it is spoiling brawl. That's why they call them spoilers. Stop going to the website and this forum and you will be spoiler free.

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
I don't really care for surprises in games. I think that knowing what's in it put my mind at rest, for example worrying about my favorite characters making it back, and now I'm hoping that he announces characters I want (Ridley) and not characters I don't want (Waluigi, Diddy). If you have a problem, then why would you even bother googling Smash to see his site?

Somasu

Smash Ace
People like you baffle me. I find it so strange that you don't mind the mystery being ruined for you (though, I guess in your case "ruined" wouldn't really be the appropriate word).

Do you mind at all when someone tells you the ending of a movie or a book? I'm just curious.
I myself have the same mindset as bluethree for the updates, so I'll take a stab at answering your question.

Yes, I do mind quite a bit when someone spoils a movie or book that I am interested in. In fact, I get quite pissed when someone does that. Problem is, this is completely different in my mind than a book or a movie. In a movie, I'm watching a sequence of events leading up to the wonderful ending. Emotions go wild in me as I watch the film and see the events unfold. However, if I knew the ending to said movie, then watching all the sequence of events wouldn't be nearly as intriguing. In Brawl, I won't be going through the same kind of event as I would in a book or a film. Sure I'll be having to do things to unlock the characters, but this time around, my experience doesn't differ when I know what I'm going after. So even if I knew exactly who all was in the entire cast of Brawl this very second, I wouldn't be bent out of shape about it

Besides, I myself am at least getting the same shock and excitement when I look up the update of Ike or whoever else might be revealed as I would when I see them on my own television screen. The only difference is the phrase that comes up in my head is "Yes! ____ is in the game!" instead of "Yes! I unlocked ____! I didn't know he was there!"

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
From the looks of it, we might be looking at it the wrong way. These may just be default things in the game. I highly doubt Sakurai will give away the really secret characters. The way the updates are done seem to be stalling about the information contained within the game as long as possible thus when we get the game we may find ourselves thrown back by how much there actually is.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
As many others have said before me,I think Sakurai is only giving us info on stuff we'll see when we start the game. Also,if you think the site is a major spoiler,don't got there. Simplt as that(maybe not,you could get curious. But if it bugs you that much,try really hard to not go there)

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well... Yes, you could always... Not look.

But I guess there are just so much things he can reveal and that its not like there are... story/plot twists that hes revealing..

Its just a.... straight forward fighting game and that its going to be the same basically with a few new additions that we will have to get used to.

Its hard to explain what I'm thinking, but I hope you get the picture.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I do recall there being another thread almost identical to this one. Seriously, as I said before, if you do not want to see any updates, leave Smashboards and never visit the DOJO. Honestly, it sickened me last time to hear people talk about how Smashboards and the DOJO needed special rules to restrict spoiler content. If you feel the game is being spoiled then...

And, as MookieRah stated, this is a freakin' fighting game. There are no real spoilers in a fighting game. We like the updates because we like speculating whom we will play as. We do not care one bit about ruining the surprises or accidentally unveiling a locked character. The last time I unlocked anything was back in 2002, and those were not memories I am fond of. I enjoy the game through the competition at tournaments and at hardcore smashfests.

PS -- Thanks, Stryks, for the image source. ^_^

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I do recall there being another thread almost identical to this one. Seriously, as I said before, if you do not want to see any updates, leave Smashboards and never visit the DOJO. Honestly, it sickened me last time to hear people talk about how Smashboards and the DOJO needed special rules to restrict spoiler content. If you feel the game is being spoiled then...

And, as MookieRah stated, this is a freakin' fighting game. There are no real spoilers in a fighting game. We like the updates because we like speculating whom we will play as. We do not care one bit about ruining the surprises or accidentally unveiling a locked character. The last time I unlocked anything was back in 2002, and those were not memories I am fond of. I enjoy the game through the competition at tournaments and at hardcore smashfests.

PS -- Thanks, Stryks, for the image source. ^_^
I don't remember anyone actually asking the site to have rules on talking about spoilers. I know I certainly didn't say that. I'm just *****ing. I realize that everything that gets put up on the dojo will be talked about. I just HOPE the dojo doesn't give away lots of secrets.

It's not because I think Smash has some kind of deep RPG-ish plot. The people who are saying that are putting words into everyone else's mouths. I just like a little mystery—that's all. And I would just personally like to believe that Sakurai would have the decency to keep at least some/most of the truly secret things secret until Brawl comes out. Then, on December 3rd/4th, let loose the secrets. That doesn't mean I'm going to try to make Sakurai change what he's doing, or try to make Smash Boards introduce some stupid spoiler rules. I just hope I don't have to leave the forum to keep myself from getting spoiled. I will if I must, I just don't think there's a good reason that I should have to. There's nothing wrong with Sakurai holding back on some information at least until after Brawl is released.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
If you don't want spoilers, you wouldn't come to places like Smash Boards or the official site. Obviously if you do, you don't care that much about spoilers. Either that or you just have no self control and can't resist looking, which is your own fault, and you can't really complain.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
If you don't want spoilers, you wouldn't come to places like Smash Boards or the official site. Obviously if you do, you don't care that much about spoilers. Either that or you just have no self control and can't resist looking, which is your own fault, and you can't really complain.
I disagree. Apparently we have slightly different ideas of what spoilers are (at least regarding this game).

I don't care about knowing what the items are, or what the new game modes are, or what the stages look like and do, or even what the starting roster is. In fact, I WANT to know all that. Hence why I go to this board, and why I go to the Dojo.

I care about **** I gotta unlock. That does include stages, but I don't care quite as much for them as I do characters. I consider the revealing of a hidden character, a true spoiler.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
People like you baffle me. I find it so strange that you don't mind the mystery being ruined for you (though, I guess in your case "ruined" wouldn't really be the appropriate word).

Do you mind at all when someone tells you the ending of a movie or a book? I'm just curious.
Huuuuge difference.

Knowing the ending to a movie or book would almost certainly ruin the experience of watching/reading.

Knowing all of the selectable players in a fighting game would not ruin the experience of playing said game. I have a lot more fun playing the characters than I do unlocking them. It would increase the fun for me if I were able to play the characters right away rather than having to unlock them all.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Multiplayer is the only aspect of SSBM that I found to be fun.

Unlocking characters is such a pain. Obviously most of us here are just going to be trying to rush through that process to get it over with ASAP.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Solution: Don't go to the Dojo, and don't read the Brawl rooms.

If you want to know news about things in Brawl, but with spoilers about new characters, check out our Brawl Blog at www.smashbrawl.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom