• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Roster Evolution (11-1, break)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Damn, should've cut Diddy like I was originally planning to. Oh well

Thanks to this villain round, most veteran series have an antagonist. It wasn't specified if cuts were okay this round, so K. Rool had to be left out.
Newcomers: Ridley, Wolf, Black Shadow, Porky, Grima, Medusa, Duck Hunt Dog
New series: Duck Hunt
Total series: 21

Black Shadow: Could've gone with Goroh, but Black Shadow has more moveset potential since he's capable of magic among other things.
Duck Hunt Dog: He taunted so many kids and adults in his lifetime, it's extremely hard not to see him in an antagonistic light
Grima: lolspoilers. I wanted a villain from the newest FE to counter-balance Marth's veteran status.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@SunnyDust Nice approach with ROB; love when someone gets something down I did not think of. I'm really diggin this round, everyone!

@ Angelglory Angelglory who is Grima? :mad088:

Yams

Smash Journeyman

I'm pretty sure I'm getting eliminated this round... It was fun while it lasted! :p

Additions: King K Rool, Porky, Wolf, Meta Knight, King Hippo, Mother Brain, Meowth

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So I got slightly fed up with the way the Roster Icons looked alongside my pics, so I made a few adjustments using past pics I've done. If I get any further I will probably reuse these from now on.

The rules screwed me out of King Dedede and K. Rool.

NEWCOMERS:

• RidleyRequires no explanation. One of the most iconic villains this side of the real Smash Roster. Kept him somewhat to scale.

• Wolf
    Again, required. Wolf's probably my favourite Starfox character.

• Meta Knight
    A fierce rival, and since I can't add King Dedede back(yes I am regretting that decision) Meta Knight is the next best thing. He was going to get added eventually, might as well put him in now!

• Medusa
    I was a fan of Kid Icarus of a kid, less of a fan of Uprising's treatment on my childhood's big bad.We need more villainous women!

• Vaati
    My favourite Zelda villain bar none(sorry Ganondorf). This guy is powerful, lustful, smart and resourceful. All I need in a villain. He also helps represent the other side of Zelda, aka the Toon section which is my personal favourite Zelda side.

• Samurai Goroh
    Honestly this guy was my third most wanted for Smash 4 until the Direct confirmed he's returning as an AT. My favourite F-Zero character bar none, and I really enjoy his self proclaimed rivalry with Captain Falcon.

• Pokemon Trainer Red
    WAIT?!? WHAAA. Red's a villain? Well, no. He's not. He is however the strongest opponent in the Pokemon Gold and Silver games and their remakes and is by far the most iconic trainer in the entire series. Venusaur(not pictured), Charizard and Blastoise all belong to him. I wonder what could be in that Masterball?
Honourable Mentions:
King Dedede(rules prevented), King K. Rool(rules prevented), Porky(lacking Ness or Lucas at current) and Captain Syrup(decided Wario getting two characters was less important than Kid Icarus, Metroid, Kirby, Starfox and F-Zero getting two)

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕

Interesting round. My favorite so far, because it was still a unique category (difficult to add balance with the rule in place, two in fact), but still many additions. This is what I like to see!
I wanted to add characters I would not want to cut later, and still try to branch out my representation of series, as much as it could make sense.
I also wanted to add balance; which mostly made it difficult where in the case of Wolf and K Rool, which were close, but I couldn't see being added without Peach and Zelda bulking up the Mario/Zelda line.

ANTAGONISTS ADDED:
  • Ridley- from Metroid
  • Meta Knight- from Kirby
  • Team Rocket- I picture them as a trickster and trap character, who use Pokemon themed items as attacks, rather than Pokemon themselves. Very looney toon.
  • Balloon Fighter- Both protagonists and antagonists in the game Balloon Fighter, since it is not a specific person but rather a series of characters, they are the ones we play as and the ones who try pop our balloons and kill us.
  • Chorus Men- all characters in Rhythm Heaven are antagonists towards the player, as they are the ones we are playing against, and get more aggressive the worse we do.
  • Devil- Eponymous character of his franchise, Devil World. Already a villain AT in smash that we are all familiar with, did not think it a stretch to then add him. Also, a puzzle series to rep, since Lip is off limits for me now.
  • Wii Fit Trainer- easily the most villainous of them all. She is, of course, the one we are against when we play Wii Fit. But anyone who has ever, EVER, worked out with a trainer knows that they quickly become a person we despise. We truly are the player in this game, and she is the one we view as the enemy. Even if the enemy is truly just ourselves.
New Series added: Four (Rhythm Heaven, Devil's World, Wii Fit, Balloon Fight)

Honorable Mentions:
K Rool, Wolf, Tom Nook
Dr Lobe (akin to Chorus Men, but too unknown, would not have been added short of 75 roster slots)
Banjo Kazooie (he is a nemesis to us as a character option, because we cannot have him. This is just a stretch of reasoning though)
Chorus men and wii fit trainer don't count, revise

Also just general I'll let tom nook and duck hunt dog slide for not necessarily being antagonists but for making players feel like they are in there respective games
So I got slightly fed up with the way the Roster Icons looked alongside my pics, so I made a few adjustments using past pics I've done. If I get any further I will probably reuse these from now on.

NEWCOMERS:

• RidleyRequires no explanation. One of the most iconic villains this side of the real Smash Roster. Kept him somewhat to scale.

• Wolf

• Meta Knight
    A fierce rival, and since I can't add King Dedede back(yes I am regretting that decision) Meta Knight is the next best thing. He was going to get added eventually, might as well put him in now!

• Medusa
    I was a fan of Kid Icarus of a kid, less of a fan of Uprising's treatment on my childhood's big bad.We need more villainous women!

• Vaati
    My favourite Zelda villain bar none(sorry Ganondorf). This guy is powerful, lustful, smart and resourceful. All I need in a villain. He also helps represent the other side of Zelda, aka the Toon section which is my personal favourite Zelda side.

• Samurai Goroh
    Honestly this guy was my third most wanted for Smash 4 until the Direct confirmed he's returning as an AT. My favourite F-Zero character bar none, and I really enjoy his self proclaimed rivalry with Captain Falcon.

• Pokemon Trainer Red
    WAIT?!? WHAAA. Red's a villain? Well, no. He's not. He is however the strongest opponent in the Pokemon Gold and Silver games and their remakes and is by far the most iconic trainer in the entire series. Venusaur(not pictured), Charizard and Blastoise all belong to him. I wonder what could be in that Masterball?
Honourable Mentions:
King Dedede(rules prevented), King K. Rool(rules prevented), Porky(lacking Ness or Lucas at current) and Captain Syrup(decided Wario getting two characters was less important than Kid Icarus, Metroid, Kirby, Starfox and F-Zero getting two)
Two things,
One I'm glad someone around here remembers red (I blame greninja and mewtwo still)
And two, wolf's expression is hilarious

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer

Also just general I'll let tom nook and duck hunt dog slide for not necessarily being antagonists but for making players feel like they are in there respective games

Two things,
One I'm glad someone around here remembers red (I blame greninja and mewtwo still)
And two, wolf's expression is hilarious
I blame solo Charizard.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I can see Chorus Kids not counting, but Wii Fit Trainer is absolutely an antagonist. She is the one you are working against in the game, and according to your exact quotation above
for not necessarily being antagonists but for making players feel like they are in there respective games
C'mon dude- if bullying makes you feel antagonized in a video game, so does a trainer. Don't be angry with my genius :p

Last edited:

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
I can see Chorus Kids not counting, but Wii Fit Trainer is absolutely an antagonist. She is the one you are working against in the game, and according to your exact quotation above
As someone who has played Wii Fit, I can tell you firsthand that the only thing you're working against in Wii Fit is your previous scores on the various exercises and games. The Wii Fit Trainers are not opponents, but, well, trainers. Their function in the game is to show the player how to correctly perform the yoga and strength exercises, and on top of that, they’re very nice towards the player. When the player does well, he/she is congratulated by the trainer. When the player does poorly, the trainer gives him/her some tips on how to improve your score. They never act antagonistically towards the player, unlike Duck Hunt Dog and Tom Nook.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As someone who has played Wii Fit, I can tell you firsthand that the only thing you're working against in Wii Fit is your previous scores on the various exercises and games. The Wii Fit Trainers are not opponents, but, well, trainers. Their function in the game is to show the player how to correctly perform the yoga and strength exercises, and on top of that, they’re very nice towards the player. When the player does well, he/she is congratulated by the trainer. When the player does poorly, the trainer gives him/her some tips on how to improve your score. They never act antagonistically towards the player, unlike Duck Hunt Dog and Tom Nook.
All right, I've never played it an will take your word on it. I work as a personal trainer and know what my role in life must sometimes be. Shame- though I guess it is a Nintendo game.
I will give myself plaudits later.
Switching out Chorus men for K Rool.
And will take out WFT for someone else- not on my computer, will consider it over. My fallback will be Devil, but I'd like to see something more creative now that he is so commonplace.
But it will take me a moment to get to my roster maker. Eeeek. Had asaved version of a roster ith K Rool instead of Chorus Men just in case. Did not think WFT would not qualify.

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
RosterEvolution8.png

Replaced Kamek with Duck Hunt Dog. I did not like having Kamek on there at this point.
Looking at this roster now, It's real nifty to see so many antagonists, rather than a ton of sidekick-y characters.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Ok I know it's a stretch, but @ LoneKonWolf LoneKonWolf I'm adding Palutena. As stated in her trailer, she does fight Pit, and is at one point a boss.

Edit: This game is no fun. Just kidding.

I planned Viridi in my initial Roster.
But I fell early, so yeah.
I came in 3rd in last game when I had her.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
SWF Evolution Round 7.png

Are we allowed cuts? If so,

Cut: Pokemon Trainer (will return at a later date, but two Trainers are too much)

Added: King K Rool, Vaati, Ridley, Meta Knight, Wolf, Samurai Goroh, Charizard and Giovanni

Vaati- Since I cannot access Ganondorf and I wanted another Zelda character. Vaati is the second most reoccurring Zelda villian.

Samurai Goroh- I wanted to add another F-Zero character and he is one of my favorites after the dear Captain Falcon.

Charizard- This is the furthest stretch. Since I used Bulbasaur in almost of all of the Kanto games, Charizard was the most powerful Pokemon on the rival's team.

Giovanni- With Mewtwo not accessible, I wanted a Pokemon newcomer that would be unique. Giovanni is one of the most iconic villains that Pokemon has ever had and one of the most iconic gym leaders.

Honerable mentions- Ganondorf, Mewtwo (Forbidden 7), King Boo, Duck Hunt Dog, Devil

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

NEWCOMERS:

• Wolf

• Meta Knight

• Medusa

• Vaati

• Samurai Goroh

• Pokemon Trainer Red
Honourable Mentions:
One of my favorite pictures man! Medusa and Vaati being marries is perhaps my favorite! Torn about adding Vaati myself.
Yet, I must ask, why no Venusaur!? I'm bummed!

@ LoneKonWolf LoneKonWolf if all these other characters count, I will find a way to make Wii Fit count! If nothing else, she should count because she is the antagonist of Smash fans everywhere, considering how many people are so vehemently opposed to her inclusion.
--box in the wii fit gym https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEpQD13mArI
Could also quite say Wii Fit trainer is a huge RIVAL!
Is her silhouette a boss hazard in the game, too? https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRzN_hk2_ti3Ew
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69274909

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Ok I know it's a stretch, but @ LoneKonWolf LoneKonWolf I'm adding Palutena. As stated in her trailer, she does fight Pit, and is at one point a boss.

I came in 3rd in last game when I had her.
If were counting trailers then megaman, counts as an antagonist as so everyone that appears in it, to much variety so they don't count. and the boss was an one time. Were counting characters that have either been an antagonist or rival for most of the time, or generally have an negative atmosphere or reputation.
Palutena is absolutely none of these

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
If were counting trailers then megaman, counts as an antagonist as so every that appears in it, to much variety so they don't count. and the boss was an one time. Were counting characters that have either been an antagonist or rival for most of the time, or generally have an negative atmosphere or reputation.
Alright, then just keep my roster with Hades.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'd honestly love to re-join the Battle, but a loss is a loss.
So I'll just keep spectating 'til we have a victor.
Unlesssomegiantplottwisthappensbutitprobablywon't

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
All right; @ LoneKonWolf LoneKonWolf

Forget Wii Fit Trainer.
I will be adding Ice Climber's, because there is an alternate rerelease version called Vs Ice Climbers, where one player controls Nana, the other Popo, and you compete against each other.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't know if that will work either.
That would be silly.
Pretty muchly how this works is as long as the character is the villain/your enemy/ or simply is someone you fight/against. There is leniency, but reasoning must be sound. I'll watch closely.
From what I gather, it is Nana vs Popo in the game, down to the title. They are rivals to each other in it the entire way through, as a means to make it multiplayer.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

Added King K. Rool, Ridley, Samurai Goroh, Wolf, Ganon, Meta Knight, and...
...Marth. In the Awakening DLC Lost Bloodlines, he is the enemy to Chrom's army, making him sort of a villain.

I wanted to add something creative and hopefully this counts, although it's a bit of a stretch.

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice

Added King K. Rool, Ridley, Samurai Goroh, Wolf, Ganon, Meta Knight, and...
...Marth. In the Awakening DLC Lost Bloodlines, he is the enemy to Chrom's army, making him sort of a villain.

I wanted to add something creative and hopefully this counts, although it's a bit of a stretch.
I'm pretty sure Marth doesn't qualify in the same way that Palutena doesn't qualify, as stated here:
Were counting characters that have either been an antagonist or rival for most of the time, or generally have an negative atmosphere or reputation.
Marth is generally associated with his own Fire Emblem titles, in which he is the protagonist. And while you do fight against him in one of the Awakening DLC maps, you also fight alongside him. Heck, if you play the xenologue maps in order, Marth is not only one of your allies in the first map, but will join your team afterward.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, I will not be here when Lone returns it seems, for this round he said he was watching closely (which I guess meant, just following as always :p)

That has my newcomers at Team Rocket, Ridley, Wolf, K Rool, Balloon Fighter, Meta Knight
and...I will keep Devil in.

Edit: Just use the Devil one, don't care for the risk of having IC's somehow not seem rivalish enough. I know where creativity leads in this game.

Creative Honorary mentions: Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids.
Honorary (in order): Vaati, Tom Nook, *something Fire Emblem*, Waluigi, Porky, Medusa, Black Shadow, Kamek, Koopa Kids, King Hippo

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Marth is generally associated with his own Fire Emblem titles, in which he is the protagonist. And while you do fight against him in one of the Awakening DLC maps, you also fight alongside him. Heck, if you play the xenologue maps in order, Marth is not only one of your allies in the first map, but will join your team afterward.
Yes, but technically the Marth that helps you in Champions of Yore and joins your team is supposed to be a different Marth from the one that fights you in Awakening. The Marth from Lost Bloodlines is from a separate story where Marth is a bad guy who is portrayed differently from the Marth that is in the other stories. So, unlike Palutena's who's a good guy under mind control; Marth is actually supposed to be a villain, just from a different timeline.
So, let's say that the Marth on my roster is this Marth:

Instead of this Marth:

Then would he be counted as an antagonist?

Edit: I know this is still a bit out there, so if Wolfy doesn't allow this I'll think of someone to replace him.

Last edited:

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
Well, I will not be here when Lone returns it seems, for this round he said he was watching closely (which I guess meant, just following as always :p)

That has my newcomers at Team Rocket, Ridley, Wolf, K Rool, Balloon Fighter, Meta Knight
and...I will keep Devil in.

Edit: Just use the Devil one, don't care for the risk of having IC's somehow not seem rivalish enough. I know where creativity leads in this game.

Creative Honorary mentions: Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids.
Honorary (in order): Vaati, Tom Nook, *something Fire Emblem*, Waluigi, Porky, Medusa, Black Shadow, Kamek, Koopa Kids, King Hippo
Balloon Fighter?

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Yes, but technically the Marth that helps you in Champions of Yore and joins your team is supposed to be a different Marth from the one that fights you in Awakening. The Marth from Lost Bloodlines is from a separate story where Marth is a bad guy who is portrayed differently from the Marth that is in the other stories. So, unlike Palutena's who's a good guy under mind control; Marth is actually supposed to be a villain, just from a different timeline.
So, let's say that the Marth on my roster is this Marth:

Instead of this Marth:

Then would he be counted as an antagonist?
Well though he may be your enemy there, but is he generally seen as an enemy, is he known to be your opponent?
Pretty much its like this, if in eventually in one zelda game Zelda becomes the villain, as in you have to face her as your opponent, she would technically be your enemy/villain in one game. But would you view her forever as an enemy, would you see her in negative limelight.
Unless that game is the only one you remember then no, you and everyone else would still see her as the damsel in her series, such as Marth is an hero in his despite being an enemy in one.
Also this probably answers duke with ice climbers, while rivalry in one, their generally seen as neutral or just normal. So they would never count
Balloon Fighter?
Balloon fighter is technically all of them in the game, you and your opponent, since its an generalization it kind of works the same way as pokemon would, I let it past after reasoning.
By watching closely i meant ill read through the rosters and see who's bending (more in tune to the forbidden 7 rule, but the antagonist seems bigger)
If i was supposed to keep an eye on this every chance I get, my scheduling would be an disaster in the already unstable life I'm currently in.
Edit: I know this is still a bit out there, so if Wolfy doesn't allow this I'll think of someone to replace him.
Wolfy?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well though he may be your enemy there, but is he generally seen as an enemy, is he known to be your opponent?
Pretty much its like this, if in eventually in one zelda game Zelda becomes the villain, as in you have to face her as your opponent, she would technically be your enemy/villain in one game. But would you view her forever as an enemy, would you see her in negative limelight.
Unless that game is the only one you remember then no, you and everyone else would still see her as the damsel in her series, such as Marth is an hero in his despite being an enemy in one.
Also this probably answers duke with ice climbers, while rivalry in one, their generally seen as neutral or just normal. So they would never count
I'm not trying to stir up trouble this point, as my roster is done- but doesn't your attribute of Red completely disqualify your example of Zelda above, despite how he is used in the game? And how would a completely canon version of Ice Climbers be any less of a reason than ROB in smash bros?

Ah well, I'm dropping it, Wolfy. No one can change their rosters at this point.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
One of my favorite pictures man! Medusa and Vaati being marries is perhaps my favorite! Torn about adding Vaati myself.
Yet, I must ask, why no Venusaur!? I'm bummed!
I assure you, Venusaur is in there, it's just I was running low on time when I could draw ;; Gotta keep the Kanto trio just that; a trio.

Venusaur will be getting a roster image should I make it through this round.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I see, I'll cut him. He'll be back another day.

I replaced Marth with Claus.
The new characters are now King K Rool, Meta Knight, Wolf, Ganon, Ridley, Goroh, and Claus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom