• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Roster Evolution (11-1, break)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm voting for @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad because it doesn't affect the game at all and I want him to have a vote :p
You monster!

So. This hurt!

Cut list:
  • Princess Peach: Nintendo's first lady was chosen due to a plethora of Mario already on the roster. Since the majority of others were repping their own series(including Luigi) I decided between her and Bowser she was probably the lesser important one.

• Princess Zelda: Oof. Cut so she's equal to Peach basically. Although the series is named after her, she's still very much the Macguffin that Link and Ganondorf fight over and thus I've deemed her ever so slightly less important than the demon king. JUST. This cut also allows Pokemon, Mario and Zelda to be even.

• King K. Rool: Although a prominent villain, K. Rool honestly was the easiest cut here for me. His importance is less than that of Diddy Kong to his series and although DK is the fourth biggest series it may seem odd to have it on par with the big three at this stage.

• King Dedede: I wanted to keep him but I felt Kirby was a slightly smaller series than DK, and thus keeping him may invoke another series inbalance like I did with Pokemon last round. His cut also made the last round pretty much pointless! Dang!

• Shulk: Shulk is the only character bar Duck Hunt Dog who has only appeared in one game at this point. Xenoblade's still quite a new series too.

• Inkling: Cut because Splatoon isn't out until next year. Basically too new. Only one game too, same as Shulk.

• Captain Toad: The biggest surprise cut! I obviously prefer Captain Toad to everyone on this roster bar Yoshi(and MAYBE Luigi) but of the Mario Big 8 he is by far the least important. His game also isn't out yet, although unlike Inkling and Shulk he has appeared in more than one game already.
Oof. Painful decisions made.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

Cuts- Dillon, Isaac, Ganon, Little Mac, Sonic, Ray, and the Dog.

I contemplated cutting Luigi or Peach, but I realized having the first lady of video games and Nintendo's greatest sidekick was a pretty big deal, despite the slight Mario over-representation.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
ROSTER EVOLUTION August 11 Roster.png

Cuts : Luigi, Peach, Ganondorf, Meta Knight, Charizard, Lucario & Chibi-Robo
Total Series : 20

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Geez! No votes, and I wasn't here cause of Otokon, really quickly I'll make a roster.

Edit:

Cut: Luigi, Peach, Diddy, Ganondorf, Lucario, Andy, and Ice Climbers.

I wanted to keep my earlier pics because I found them to be more important to have. It was hard to pick between Zelda and Ganon, but I felt I needed more than one female character.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Well, for my round 3... or six... roster, I decided I would be cutting the characters in red above. Hope that leaves me with the least affected roster; but like literally every other roster, they would all be coming back in the next two rounds.
Such a joy to just be delayed from adding characters; what a useful round. Honestly not a fun round, just making the rosters smaller is not what makes this game fun. It isn't even about the difficult decision, it's just that the rosters tend to look smaller and too similar; the game gets going when the rosters are bigger. Cuts are fun when we have to supplement them with other characters. Unique rules and creativity. Now we just had a round where we removed the characters we added in the last two.

Anyway, now that I had to cut Zelda, I added in Ganon as a part of Ganondorf: When he gets to a high enough damage meter, he can transform once- his moves don't change much, he just gets slightly more powerful, with a trident.

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
(Another catchy tune)
Before we get to voting I just want to make an observation, while we were at 32 slots and went down, we were still a slot above melee, despite this every one except two got rid of peach or zelda, or both, and over a third cut luigi.
Just wanted to point that out there, whatever happens hope you don't make any regrets.

The usual vote and explanation (it will never change)
[collapse=players]
@ SunnyDust SunnyDust
@ The Light Music Club The Light Music Club
@ SmasherMaster SmasherMaster
@ TheZombiePig TheZombiePig
@Angelglory
@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
@ Tepig2000 Tepig2000
@ The_Sheik The_Sheik
@ kylexv kylexv
@ a smart guy a smart guy
@ Golden Icarus Golden Icarus
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
@ Mr_Anderson Mr_Anderson
@ Yams Yams
[/collapse]

[Collapse=rosters]
Kylexv -

Mr_Anderson -

TheZombiePig -

AngelGlory -

Yoshiandtoad -

Tepig2000 -

The_sheik -

Golden Icarus -

SunnyDust -

The Light Music Club-

Yams -

DukeNapoleon -

A smart guy -

Smashermaster -

[/Collapse]

Click Here to Vote
We'll continue on Thursday 11 Pm Eastern

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Voted for a smart guy. The series balance seems a bit odd, with Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Kirby all having three characters, and every other series only getting one. I'm also not a huge fan of Lucina.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I voted for a smart guy aswell. I don't like that he cut Wario, Ness, Villager, and ROB, instead of cutting characters from the over represented series.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Have not fully made up my mind; I'm almost certainly voting for someone who kept Diddy Kong. I'm thinking it will be Golden Icarus, because he has 1/3 a roster of Mario verse, and then a continued roster with lack of variety overall.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Before we get to voting I just want to make an observation, while we were at 32 slots and went down, we were still a slot above melee, despite this every one except two got rid of peach or zelda, or both, and over a third cut luigi.
Just wanted to point that out there, whatever happens hope you don't make any regrets.
...I knew something was up.
It's alright though, I have workarounds for everyone bar Dedede and Peach. Maaay regret them.

May have to vote for a Smart Guy.

I don't mind the Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Kirby getting three characters each since traditionally these are the four series Smash has given top billing to in the past, but Lucina over Marth, even if I prefer her to him, just seems wrong. Like adding Shadow the Hedgehog over Sonic. If that makes sense.

Maybe not...;;

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...I knew something was up.
It's alright though, I have workarounds for everyone bar Dedede and Peach. Maaay regret them.

May have to vote for a Smart Guy.

I don't mind the Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Kirby getting three characters each since traditionally these are the four series Smash has given top billing to in the past, but Lucina over Marth, even if I prefer her to him, just seems wrong. Like adding Shadow the Hedgehog over Sonic. If that makes sense.

Maybe not...;;
Not to mention, knock him out now since it seems unlikely we will get to add back in our beloved characters we just removed anytime soon.

kylexv

Smash Master
Have not fully made up my mind; I'm almost certainly voting for someone who kept Diddy Kong. I'm thinking it will be Golden Icarus, because he has 1/3 a roster of Mario verse, and then a continued roster with lack of variety overall.
This, plus having 3 Zelda and Pokemon.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
Voted for a smart guy as well. Mostly because of Lucina over Marth and the bad balance between his series.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Round whatever it is:

Cut five more people.
Can add back in none of the ones you have already cut.

But add twelve characters :)

Or.... the unfortunate... just cut ten more and make the rosters boring even more :(

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
(Because I couldn't think of anything else)
And the obvious elminatee was @ a smart guy a smart guy probably wasn't an smart choice to put an side trio character not necessary over the mascot/number 1
Anywho like others speculated the cut characters are now your forbidden 7, they cannot be added on till an milestone is reached, though this isn't the end of the special rules, you will be replacing these characters with antagonists.
You cannot add your forbidden 7 and are only allowed to add antagonists/villains.
Pretty muchly how this works is as long as the character is the villain/your enemy/ or simply is someone you fight/against. There is leniency, but reasoning must be sound. I'll watch closely
Back to 32
[Collapse=vote count]
  • Smashermaster 1 (6.25%)
  • Yoshiandtoad 0 (0%)
  • yams 0 (0%)
  • tepig2000 1 (6.25%)
  • the_sheik 0 (0%)
  • DukeNapoleon 0 (0%)
  • SunnyDust 0 (0%)
  • mr_Anderson 0 (0%)
  • Golden Icarus 2 (12.50%)
  • TheZombiePig 0 (0%)
  • the light music club 0 (0%)
  • AngelGlory 0 (0%)
  • a smart guy 12 (75%)
  • kylexv 0 (0%)
[/Collapse]
[collapse=players]
@ SunnyDust SunnyDust
@ The Light Music Club The Light Music Club
@ SmasherMaster SmasherMaster
@ TheZombiePig TheZombiePig
@Angelglory
@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
@ Tepig2000 Tepig2000
@ The_Sheik The_Sheik
@ kylexv kylexv
@ Golden Icarus Golden Icarus
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
@ Mr_Anderson Mr_Anderson
@ Yams Yams
[/collapse]
[Collapse=rosters]
TheZombiePig -

Kylexv -

Mr_Anderson -

The Light Music Club -

SunnyDust -

AngelGlory -

Yams -

The_sheik -

Yoshiandtoad -

Tepig2000 -

Smashermaster -

Dukenapoleon -

Golden icarus -

[/Collapse]

The elimination will start on Sunday 11 pm eastern

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Everybody add Duck Hunt Dog!!!!!

Hey, at least we can add seven! Wish it were ten villains.
Big is better Lone!

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
I am SO glad I decided to keep All of my villains from the previous round...

RosterEvolution8.png

Added:
Kamek
Medusa
King Hippo
Medeus (the main antagonist from the first Fire Emblem game)
Samurai Goroh
Wolf

If Duck Hunt Dog counts as an antagonist, I'll probably add him in place of either Kamek or King Hippo.
Also will try to steal ideas from other rosters if need be.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Interesting round. My favorite so far, because it was still a unique category (difficult to add balance with the rule in place, two in fact), but still many additions. This is what I like to see!
I wanted to add characters I would not want to cut later, and still try to branch out my representation of series, as much as it could make sense.
I also wanted to add balance; which mostly made it difficult where in the case of Wolf and K Rool, which were close, but I couldn't see being added without Peach and Zelda bulking up the Mario/Zelda line.

ANTAGONISTS ADDED:
  • Ridley- from Metroid
  • Meta Knight- from Kirby
  • Team Rocket- I picture them as a trickster and trap character, who use Pokemon themed items as attacks, rather than Pokemon themselves. Very looney toon.
  • Balloon Fighter- Both protagonists and antagonists in the game Balloon Fighter, since it is not a specific person but rather a series of characters, they are the ones we play as and the ones who try pop our balloons and kill us.
  • Chorus Men- all characters in Rhythm Heaven are antagonists towards the player, as they are the ones we are playing against, and get more aggressive the worse we do.
  • Devil- Eponymous character of his franchise, Devil World. Already a villain AT in smash that we are all familiar with, did not think it a stretch to then add him. Also, a puzzle series to rep, since Lip is off limits for me now.
  • Wii Fit Trainer- easily the most villainous of them all. She is, of course, the one we are against when we play Wii Fit. But anyone who has ever, EVER, worked out with a trainer knows that they quickly become a person we despise. We truly are the player in this game, and she is the one we view as the enemy. Even if the enemy is truly just ourselves.
New Series added: Four (Rhythm Heaven, Devil's World, Wii Fit, Balloon Fight)

Honorable Mentions:
K Rool, Wolf, Tom Nook
Dr Lobe (akin to Chorus Men, but too unknown, would not have been added short of 75 roster slots)
Banjo Kazooie (he is a nemesis to us as a character option, because we cannot have him. This is just a stretch of reasoning though)

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
The forbidden seven rule is evil. Clever that it went into effect the round we add villains only.

kylexv

Smash Master
Roster Evolution 2 Round 8.png

This round wasn't as bad as I thought.

King K. Rool: As I expected the Forbidden 7 rule to happen, K. Rool was my planned replacement for Diddy. It ended up working out.

Ridley: A pretty obvious choice this round. He's a fan favorite character and too big to miss

Medusa: Would have been Palutena, but this is a villains round after all.

Wolf: My planned second Star Fox rep gets his chance to shine (get it) this round.

Meowth: That's right! Meowth was actually planned to be added this round as a replacement of Charizard

Devil: Devil has appeared as an assist trophy in both Brawl and Smash 4 and is the main villain of the Devil World series. He even seems to be more well known than its protagonist, Tamagon.

Duck Hunt Dog: You insert Super Mario Bros+Duck Hunt into your NES. You pick up the zapper and choose to play Duck Hunt.
You miss your first shot. Then, the Dog. He pops right out of the bush with a menacing laugh, taunting you, making you want to shoot him. Man's worst friend, Duck Hunt Dog, joins the battle.

Samus/Zamus is now just Samus for the time being.

New Series: Duck Hunt and Devil's World
Total Series: 23 (Mario, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Star Fox, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Earthbound/Mother, F-Zero, Chibi-Robo, Legend of Starfy, Pokemon, Punch Out!!, Game and Watch, Gyromite, Duck Hunt, Devil's World.)

Honerable Mention: Luigi (Not a villain)

Last edited:

Mr_Anderson

Smash Cadet

Well, this is an interesting round. Figures I kept a bunch of villains...

Added:
King K. Rool: The main villain of the DK series
Black Shadow: Has a large role in the anime, and is main villain in GX
Ridley: Obvious choice
Black Knight: A recurring villain in Fire Emblem
Porky: The only recurring character in the Mother series
Wolf: Another fairly obvious choice
Harry: I'll admit it's a very obscure choice & really risky, but whatever. Main villain of Virtual Boy game Teleroboxer.

Honorable Mentions: Bowser Jr. (don't particularly like the character), Mewtwo (thought having more Pokemon than Mario might be frowned upon. I originally had him over Harry.)

Total Series: 22 (Mario, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Punch-Out!!, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Sin & Punishment, Animal Crossing, Game & Watch, Gyromite, Teleroboxer, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mother, Starfox, Golden Sun, Xenoblade)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@ Mr_Anderson Mr_Anderson Awesome with Harry, man! That is actually one I did not think of, and I'm the VIrtual Boy advocate, ha!

@ LoneKonWolf LoneKonWolf let me know if Chorus Kids are not an okay choice (they are he only ones I can see you not being okay with for me, the others seem too legit on my list) and I will add K Rool instead.

EDIT: Actually, if all are fine, I think I will likely replace Devil with K Rool anyway.

@ Tepig2000 Tepig2000 :sadsheep:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think Harry is a villain.
He could potentially not be a villain, I do not remember the game in explicit detail,
"Villain" implies a level of morality which is rather difficult to discern here. ;
but he is without question the antagonist of the game.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
ROSTER EVOLUTION - PART 2 - 6 I THINK Roster.png

Added King K. Rool, Devil, Wolf, Samurai Goroh, Tom Nook, Duck Hunt Dog and R.O.B.

I like to see Tom Nook as the main antagonist of the Animal Crossing franchise. I haven't played Animal Crossing that much, but based from what I've seen, he's kind of greedy and he's always trying to get your bells. I also added R.O.B. cause you fight him quite often in the SSE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom