• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards is Back!

Mrirvin1234

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mrirvin
3DS FC
4639-9443-8067
I am extremely glad and grateful that you all took yout time to make sure everything was ok!! GREAT!

Morbi

Scavenger
I am surprised that there are so many responses. It seemed like only a couple of individuals were even using the temporary landing page. I was under the impression that not too many people even knew the site was down. I actually searched about a week after the attack to see what people were saying. It was funny. I hardly found anything regarding the subject at all. In fact, I found some antithetical responses. Some people said that the site was up. I thought the problem was on my end. After about another week of not being able to open the site, I went and looked for official word. Smashboards Twitter and Facebook confirmed my suspicions. Either way, I am just glad we are back online. I am also glad that we didn't lose anything in the process. It is great to be back. A month without the Smashboards had the feeling of emptiness. Lol. Anyways... Peach was probably the DDoSser. :surprised:

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
It really is great that everything's back! I did missed this site..

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
WE LIVIN' THO

Thank you, AlphaZealot and anyone else who fought through this DDoS.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Smashers,

Today our host managed to get a restore of our database working and we were able to implement additional measures to combat the DDoS attack. We are hopeful these mitigation tactics will hold. No data was lost during this attack and in all the forums were down for 24 days. We appreciate all the patience the Smash community has shown, and if you were wondering what was going on, you weren't following our social media!
While we were down we implemented a temporary frontpage which was well received. We will try to actually get to a frontpage-forum setup like other sites in the near future.

Premium Members: check the disco room for a special gift. If your premium expired during the downtime please send me a PM and I'll get you restored with three months of Premium Membership. It is so early after recovering from the downtime that I'm not sure yet if new Premium Memberships can be accepted and there are likely other kinks as a result of the downtime that will need to be worked out over the next few days.

Thanks Smashers again for sticking with us during this community crisis,
-aZ
YES! Thanks to you all for working hard and staying with it!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How about trying to get a backup now as soon as possible? Seems like a good idea since it's possible it might not be the last time this happens.

Either way, great job guys! So glad to be back!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Good to be back and great job getting the site back up and running! :)

May I suggest you plan a backup incase something like this happens again? I'm sure this isn't the first time and it won't be the last time it'll happen for sure.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So glad to have this back.

Anyone know when this will be able to run on the Tapatalk app again? That's mostly where I view it from.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Guess what's back=???

Back again=???

Smash Boards is back.

Tell Fight for a friend. :ike:
I survived the Great Smash DDOS Attack of 2013.
I think we all should get a badge for it.

But more importantly, the people who helped AZ fix it (plus AZ) deserve a medal of Smash Honor for their services in the great Smash Board DDOS War.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
That hole in my heart that most people fill with love or friendship is now filled once again.

Awesome news, big thanks to all who helped bring this back.

CandyPop

Smash Rookie
I had a pretty bad day today so when I learned Smashboards was back up I smiled. I needed that.

Cheers Smashboards, welcome back. :)

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I thought we were never going to see this place evar again! So happieh D':

Thank you Alpha!!!

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
can't wait to procrastinate on the boards again !
seriously we all missed swf nice job :)

i wonder though...why the attack on the smash community?

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I survived the Great Smash DDOS Attack of 2013.
I share similar sentiments, although if we're calling this event anything, I personally think we should call it the Great Smash DDOS Counterattack of 2013 (in reference to the good and exceptional people who helped bring Smashboards back to operational status). Whatever the DDoS-er "did" wasn't that "great" in my opinion (to be honest, it was quite irritating for me, but I can't even begin to describe how it must have felt for AlphaZealot and Premium members, etc.). AlphaZealot among numerous other individuals worked tirelessly and indefatigably to ensure that Smashboards was properly working again, and I'd rather have their efforts (AKA the CounterAttack to the DDoS attack itself) become more well-known in the long run, etched in the grand and storied history of Smashboards. The DDoS-er, whether an individual or a group, needs no more ill-gotten attention than he/she/they have already received, IMHO. :glare:

I am surprised that there are so many responses. It seemed like only a couple of individuals were even using the temporary landing page. I was under the impression that not too many people even knew the site was down. I actually searched about a week after the attack to see what people were saying. It was funny. I hardly found anything regarding the subject at all. In fact, I found some antithetical responses. Some people said that the site was up. I thought the problem was on my end. After about another week of not being able to open the site, I went and looked for official word. Smashboards Twitter and Facebook confirmed my suspicions. Either way, I am just glad we are back online. I am also glad that we didn't lose anything in the process. It is great to be back. A month without the Smashboards had the feeling of emptiness. Lol. Anyways... Peach was probably the DDoSser. :surprised:
I've mostly kept up about the dire event via Smashboards' Twitter, Facebook, and updates that AlphaZealot and others posted on Reddit's SmashBros subreddit - however, I don't have accounts at those locations, so I mainly lurked/viewed the postings instead. I visited the landing page during the day Peach was announced for SSB4, though.

In any case, I am thrilled that Smashboards back up. It's weird, the week I wanted to delve into SSB4 content/news a bit more was when the trouble started... :< Since then, I've been frantically trying to keep up with Smashboards' social media updates as much as I could for news that the matter was being addressed/resolved in due time. Thank God that no data was lost on here; the amount of effort and that would've gone down the drain would have been devastating, not to mention the many hours invested maintaining this site.

Additionally, I believe the following are appropriate for this momentous occasion. :) The tides have indeed turned!

0. "Main Theme", Super Smash Bros. Brawl
(I added this as an after-thought because I didn't want this to be too Brawl-centric, but the lyrics for the song seem really fitting for us at the moment...at least to me, they do...)

1. PokeFloats... (Wobbuffet = Smashboards Community, DDoS-er = Marth)

2. WOMBO_COMBO (Green Team = Smashboards Community, DDoS-er = Blue Team)

3. "Falcon Punch (anime version; Captain Falcon = Smashboards Community, DDoS-er = Black Shadow)

4. "Final Destination (Brawl)", Super Smash Bros. Brawl

5a. "Credits (medley of Super Smash Bros. (64, Melee, and Brawl) themes)", Super Smash Bros. Brawl

5b. "Main Theme (Super Smash Bros. 4)" (piano arrangement)

Once again, major thanks to AlphaZealot and the various individuals who contributed to Smashboards' magnificent return, and high-fives to the Smashboards community for pulling through this tumultuous time! :)

I apologize for the length of this post; unfortunately, I'm not seeing a spoiler button at the moment to condense it with... :(

Main Theme of Super Smash Bros. Brawl said:
Saeve certando pugnandoque (And by contesting and by fighting fiercely)
splendor crescit. (Surely our splendor grows.)

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
NOTICE

vets (users since 2002 or before), current and former staff, and back roomers should send me a PM so i can give you access to a private backup board we use during outages!

D

Deleted member

I'm supposed to be studying...but **** it. For now, its time to celebrate.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
;_;

I was convinced I was going to lose so much work...this is such a relief.

Is Temple Host still being used? I think the last update people got was from a couple weeks back when they said they were migrating the servers, what's the rest of the story?

TTH is still our Host. There isn't too much left to tell, people worked on a solution and it worked :).

Top Bottom