• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Video Game Brawl of Fame! A platform fighter with no Nintendo! (INDIEPALOOZA))

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 32: Ender Dragon (Minecraft)

Ender_Dragon.png

Ender Dragon is a boss from Minecraft series,he is a dragon who the player can beat him when the player enters on the portal.

The battle against Ender Dragon is on The End, Ender Dragon attacks with bites, tail strikes and flying dashes.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #31: I think that, as appealing as it'd be to have each alt be a model swap based on another Dragon Quest hero, it's an unfortunate but honest truth that that'd be unfeasible. As such, Erdrick only gets one model swap - his odd alts (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) are his male form, whilst her even alts (2, 4, 6, 8, 10) are her female form. However, they'll be recoloured to represent different protagonists from throughout the series.
  1. Default (Male) - Erdrick's default appearance as seen in Dragon Quest III.
  2. Default (Female) - Erdrick's other default appearance, also as seen in Dragon Quest III.
  3. Hero (Male) - A dark blue and orange alt with hints of red, based on the Hero from the first Dragon Quest.
  4. Prince (Female) - A lighter blue alt with other hints of blue and orange, based on the Hero from Dragon Quest II.
  5. Solo (Male) - A teal and white alt with hints of gold, based on the Hero from Dragon Quest IV.
  6. Madason (Female) - A white and purple alt based on the Hero from Dragon Quest V.
  7. Fisherman (Male) - A green alt with hints of different shades, based on the Hero from Dragon Quest VII.
  8. Eight (Female) - A mainly yellow alt with blue and orange, based on the Hero from Dragon Quest VIII.
  9. Revived (Male) - A mostly orange alt based on the Hero from Dragon Quest X.
  10. Luminary (Female) - A predominantly purple and black alt based on the Hero from Dragon Quest XI.
Unfortunately, I had to skip out on two Heroes - but given the hero in Dragon Quest IX is distinct because of their customisability, it made sense to skip over them. As for Rek... just an unfortunate culling, I'm sorry about that.

Job #32:
Boss Name: Gilgamesh
Boss Origin: Final Fantasy V (1992)

The Final Fantasy series is one of the most influential and important RPG series, or even video game series, out there - and it's also pretty well-known for having a myriad of bosses that are infamous for all sorts of reasons. Whether it be the dread of Sephiroth's ascension into a higher being, the process of following Kefka's metamorphosis, or the somewhat ridiculous looking battle against the Jumbo Cactuar, there's a lot of characters that would work in a role like this. Gilgamesh, however, is unique in that he - like Cid - is a reoccuring character throughout the series, but instead seems to literally be the same person - hopping from world to world in an everlasting attempt to find some of the greatest weapons in any world. He's also a secret boss in a lot of the games he's featured in!

As such, I imagine his boss battle would have him act more akin to a tradfighter boss in that he's essentially a beefed-up player character (not to the scale of Giga Bowser, but somewhat similar in function.) His design here would have a look akin to a sort of fusion between many of his appearances - and most prominently, his weapons could include weaponry from throughout the Final Fantasy series... let's look at those!
  • Masamune - In obvious reference to Sephiroth's. And it's just as long as the original.
  • Counterfeit Buster Sword - In reference to Final Fantasy XII, as well as obviously to VII given the sword's significance in that series.
  • Counterfeit Gunblade - In obvious reference to Squall's Gunblade in VIII, as well as XII again in that it's a counterfeit.
  • Chicken Knife - Pulled straight from Dissidia and intended to parallel Bartz's Brave Blade in V. It grows stronger as he gets more damaged.
  • Battle Axe - Directly referencing the Battle Axe he wields in his transformed state in V.
  • Zantetsuken - A scimitar capable of "cutting through anything", in reference to XII though it first appeared in VI.
  • Excalipoor - A weapon commonly associated with him.
  • Excalibur - Another weapon commonly associated with him.
In terms of the fight itself, Gilgamesh has two distinct phases. His first phase has him fight with two arms, though he's capable of switching between weapons freely and uses different weapons for different attacks from time to time. However, when you get his HP low enough, he'll change into his EX form - now having eight arms and being capable of wielding all of his weapons at once! I'd also like to suggest that he'll taunt you during the fight, playing up his hammy demeanour to the max - though he drops the act during the second phase, getting deadly serious about it.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
OrnsteinSmough.png

Ornstein and Smough
Dark Souls is a series known for its iconic bosses, I think it's unlikely this series gets a playable rep, but is big enough and iconic enough that it kind of has to show up in this gaming celebration. It was very hard to choose a boss from this series, but I went with this duo.

The player battles the duo inside a cathedral, with parallel sets of pillars on either side, just like in their home game. They fight together, with Ornstein being tall and fast and Smough being heavy and hard hitting, slamming his hammer down. Which one you defeat first will change the second phase, as you'll have to face a powered up version of the other fighter.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Alright! Let's finally dig into these votes!

Job #29: Submit a Bonus Round Minigame!

Race: 1 vote
Break-Fest: 2 votes
Reach the Targets: 3 votes

Reach the Target
has won the Bonus Round Minigame vote! Congrats to KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 for the great concept!

Job #31: Submit a set of alts for Erdrick!

Thanks to KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 for submitting this alt list, I'll add it to the list right after this.

Job #32: Submit a Boss for Arcade Mode!

Dr. Eggman ( FazDude FazDude )
Ender Dragon ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Gilgamesh ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Gruntilda ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Ornstien and Smough ( darkvortex darkvortex )
M. Bison ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Nightmare ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )

Vote for your top three, as most other votes here go.

New Job!

Job #33: Submit a Fighting Game Character for the Roster!

It's time to figure out lucky fighter number 8! And today we're delving into a very important genre, fighting games!

Job #34: The Assist Vote

Make a vote on if you think assists should be added or not! Feel free to explain your reasoning if you feel inclined.

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord

Reach the Target
has won the Bonus Round Minigame vote! Congrats to KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 for the great concept!

Thanks to KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 for submitting this alt list, I'll add it to the list right after this.

Gilgamesh ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )

New Job!

It's time to figure out lucky fighter number 8! And today we're delving into a very important genre, fighting games!

Make a vote on if you think assists should be added or not! Feel free to explain your reasoning if you feel inclined.
Just wanted to let you know I submitted Gruntilda, not Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh was Knee's idea.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion

Reach the Target

Gilgamesh ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Gruntilda ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )

New Job!

Job #32:
  1. Dr. Eggman. Honestly, this just makes a lot of sense. I like the creativity in how his two phases work - not sure if it's an intentional callback to how bosses work in the Sonic Advance series, but I'm happy either way!
  2. M. Bison. I think this genuinely seems like it'd be a really cool callback. Especially if it were to take place in a unique stage of his own. Whilst I personally think it'd be insane to also add Akuma, M. Bison on his own would be a really logical and fun inclusion that makes a lot of sense whilst still undeniably being pretty cool.
  3. Nightmare. Another iconic fighting game boss who honestly feels like he'd make a lot of sense, being a genuinely fun inclusion that'd be honestly kind of wild to actually see.
Job #33:
Character Name: Kunio-kun
Character Origin: Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun (1986)

A delinquent student - and the central protagonist of the long-running Kunio-kun franchise - I think this would be an important inclusion that'd make a lot of sense, even if it's not as outright obvious as Ryu™ from Streets™. The franchise has seen a wide variety of genres over the years, from beat-em-up to tradfighter to... volleyball simulator, and continues even to this day under the River City brand! That said, Kunio-kun would be a prominent historical pick given the importance of his series to the development of the beat-em-up genre, and his ability to represent both Technōs Japan and Arc System Works!

As for his design and concept, you could do all kinds with it. Whether you wanted to go for a more cartoonish look to represent the older games, or an anime-esque style to represent its more modern appearance, Kunio-kun is a malleable and pretty important franchise you can do all kinds of things with!

Job #34:
I'd say yes! Admittedly, I'm not 100% sure how Assists should work - I'd be more inclined to suggest they'd be similar to Smash's Assist Trophies instead of Fraymakers' Assist system so as to maintain simplicity in the control scheme - but either way, they'd be really cool.

That said, I'm curious - would each character have an Assist designed to work alongside them? (So say, Sonic's default assist could be Shadow, but then PAC-MAN could also use Shadow if he wanted.) I think that could be a fun design element if we wanted to include that, then also a few extra assists for flair - but if we're going with a more traditional Smash-styled system, that'd work perfectly fine too.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
1. Eggman
2. Ender Dragon
3. Gilgamesh

Job 33: Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters)

Kofxvterrynewrender.png

Terry is the main character from Fatal Fury series and one of supporting character from The King of Fighters series. He is known as The Legendary Wolf,Terry is orphan alongside with his brother Andy,his father died by Geese Howard and Terry needs to defeat Geese.

Terry is the most known SNK character,he is the mascot of SNK,and Terry is one of the typical fighting game protagonists:red-themed,have fire powers and the mascot of the series (except Skullgirls,Soul Callibur and Mortal Kombat).

Job 34: Assists

Yes,Assists are welcome

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
1. Nightmare
2. M. Bison
3. Ender Dragon

Character Submission:

SKULLOMANIA! (Fighting EX Layer, debuted in Street Fighter EX. Owned by Arika, not Capcom)

You gotta love this crime-fighting skeleton man, just look at him!

Assist Vote: Yes!

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
BOSS VOTE COUNTING TIME!!

Ornstien & Smough: 0 points
Gruntilda: 2 points
Gilgamesh: 5 points
Eggman: 6 points
M. Bison: 6 points
Ender Dragon: 8 points
Nightmare: 8 points

What's this? A tie? That's fine! I think most people here were expecting or at least hoping for multiple arcade mode bosses anyways, so...

Ender Dragon & Nightmare are joining the boss roster! Congrats to DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 and nirvanafan nirvanafan !

And now we'll count the assist vote!

6 votes for yes and 0 votes for no! I guess I should've expected this!

Scorpion ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Ryu ( FazDude FazDude )
Heihachi Mishima ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Kunio-Kun ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Terry Bogard ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Yoshimitsu ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Skullomania ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )

Vote for your top three, the character with the most votes will be added!

Job #34: Submit an Assist Summoning Method!

You can also include other details of how you'd like assists to work if you feel inclined. You'll need to submit the item you have in mind if the assist summoning method is via an item. You can't say "it should be an item" and not specify an item.

Job #35: Submit a Boss list size!

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #33
  1. Ryu. Do I actually even need to explain this
  2. Yoshimitsu. I like the idea of representing both Tekken and Soul, plus it'd be nice to see a prominent "side character" who's arguably as well-known as the protagonists from their series - it'd give this roster a unique feel.
  3. Terry Bogard. He might be an odder choice, but I think a lot of his special moves would translate well into this game's general playstyle and control scheme.
Shoutout to Skullomania, an utterly bizarre choice that I momentarily tabled and who I think would be incredibly fun, even if I don't think he'd really have a place here. Love it!

Job #34: So as to allow for variety and uniqueness... I'm going to suggest both! My thought process is that they'd be in different modes of some kind, so you can choose either Item Assists or Built-In Assists.

In Item Assists mode, it'd work more like Smash - one of the items in rotation is the Assist Card, which is a trading card glowing with multicoloured magical energy. If you pick it up, you'll summon forth a randomly selected Assist character, who'll do their thing and then disappear. As a general rule, these Assists are more likely to affect the entire stage in some way, though this isn't required.

In Built-In Assists mode, it'd work more like Fraymakers - you would have an "Assist Meter" in the form of five segments. (Two are full to start with.) When you press the Assist button, your Assist will come out with a unique attack, using up one of your Assist Meter segments. As a general rule, these Assists are more likely to have singular close-up attacks, though some might have a wider effect.

The attacks that a character performs are usually different in each mode, but the characters themselves are the same. For example, let's say we included Axel Stone. He would thus have two unique attacks.
  • In Item Assists mode, he'd move around the stage and attack opponents with a variety of attacks from his original games.
  • In Built-In mode, he'd step forward from behind the opponent and uses Grand Upper, before stepping back again.
Hopefully, this sort of helps you get a feel of what I'm thinking?

Job #35: I'd personally opt for 13 Bosses, though with one condition - the thirteenth boss is a "secret" boss of some kind, akin to Akuma in the Street Fighter series or... idk, the Battletoads in Shovel Knight? A boss that we explicitly don't show in marketing so it's a surprise when they turn up.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Job #33
  1. Ryu. Do I actually even need to explain this
  2. Yoshimitsu. I like the idea of representing both Tekken and Soul, plus it'd be nice to see a prominent "side character" who's arguably as well-known as the protagonists from their series - it'd give this roster a unique feel.
  3. Terry Bogard. He might be an odder choice, but I think a lot of his special moves would translate well into this game's general playstyle and control scheme.
Shoutout to Skullomania, an utterly bizarre choice that I momentarily tabled and who I think would be incredibly fun, even if I don't think he'd really have a place here. Love it!

Job #34: So as to allow for variety and uniqueness... I'm going to suggest both! My thought process is that they'd be in different modes of some kind, so you can choose either Item Assists or Built-In Assists.

In Item Assists mode, it'd work more like Smash - one of the items in rotation is the Assist Card, which is a trading card glowing with multicoloured magical energy. If you pick it up, you'll summon forth a randomly selected Assist character, who'll do their thing and then disappear. As a general rule, these Assists are more likely to affect the entire stage in some way, though this isn't required.

In Built-In Assists mode, it'd work more like Fraymakers - you would have an "Assist Meter" in the form of five segments. (Two are full to start with.) When you press the Assist button, your Assist will come out with a unique attack, using up one of your Assist Meter segments. As a general rule, these Assists are more likely to have singular close-up attacks, though some might have a wider effect.

The attacks that a character performs are usually different in each mode, but the characters themselves are the same. For example, let's say we included He would thus have two unique attacks.
  • In Item Assists mode, he'd move around the stage and attack opponents with a variety of attacks from his original games.
  • In Built-In mode, he'd step forward from behind the opponent and uses Grand Upper, before stepping back again.

Job #35: I'd personally opt for 13 Bosses, though with one condition - the thirteenth boss is a "secret" boss of some kind, akin to Akuma in the Street Fighter series or... idk, the Battletoads in Shovel Knight? A boss that we explicitly don't show in marketing so it's a surprise when they turn up.
Hey I think you skipped out on saying who the example assist is by mistake

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
1. Ryu (it's ryu)
2. Scorpion (it's scorpion)
3. Yoshimitsu (just a pretty cool idea)

Assist Summoning method:
I'll give the people a simple option

The Assist Cartridge. Assists are summoned by a retro Cartridge. An item.

Boss list size:

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Vote counting time!

Kunio-Kun: 0 points
Heihachi Mishima: 1 point
Skullomania: 1 point
Yoshimitsu: 3 points
Terry Bogard: 4 points
Scorpion: 14 points
Ryu: 19 points

Was it really any surprise? Ryu is joining our roster! A perfect pick that'd join sooner or later, he's a crossover and fighting game legend, he had to be here!

Job #34: Submit an Assist Summoning Method!

The attacks that a character performs are usually different in each mode, but the characters themselves are the same. For example, let's say we included Axel Stone. He would thus have two unique attacks.
Assist Summoning method:
I'll give the people a simple option

The Assist Cartridge. Assists are summoned by a retro Cartridge. An item.
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 's submission
MartianSnake MartianSnake 's submission

Vote for the method you prefer!

Job #35: Submit a Boss list size!

9 bosses ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
8 bosses ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
12 bosses ( darkvortex darkvortex )
13 bosses, one is a secret boss ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
10 bosses ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )

Vote for your top three!

Job #36: Submit a Street Fighter Stage!

Final Fight stages are also allowed to be submitted, as the two series are pretty much the same at this point.

Job #37: Submit a Music List for Raccoon City Police Department!

As always, you cannot have less than 4 or more than 8 music tracks.

FazDude

Smash Master
Street Fighter Stage: Macho Ring (SF6)

Suzaku Castle is undoubtedly iconic and I'd have zero problem with it getting in, but I wanted to go with something less obvious and do a stage from a newer Street Fighter title. As such, here's Macho Ring! I'd imagine it'd work a lot like KoF Stadium from That Other Platform Fighter (though I wouldn't be opposed to an actual KoF/Fatal Fury stage having the same mechanic).

Boss Votes
  1. 10
  2. 12 + 1 secret
  3. 9
Assists: Knee's submission.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Street Fighter Stage: Macho Ring (SF6)

Suzaku Castle is undoubtedly iconic and I'd have zero problem with it getting in, but I wanted to go with something less obvious and do a stage from a newer Street Fighter title. As such, here's Macho Ring! I'd imagine it'd work a lot like KoF Stadium from That Other Platform Fighter (though I wouldn't be opposed to an actual KoF/Fatal Fury stage having the same mechanic).

Boss Votes
  1. 10
  2. 12 + 1 secret
  3. 9
Assists: Knee's submission.
Just as a reminder, in this game all stages with "walk-offs" have invisible walls so that mechanic is sorta universal.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Raccoon City Police Department Music List:
This was a tricky one, I wanted to find music that would be cool to fight to, so most of the tracks are from the recurring "The Mercenaries" side mode.

1. Mr. X Theme - Resident Evil 2 Remake
2. Leon Theme - Resident Evil 4 The Mercenaries
3. Ada Theme - Resident Evil 4 The Mercenaries
4. Wesker Theme - Resident Evil 4 The Mercenaries
5. Hunk Theme - Resident Evil 4 The Mercenaries
6. Sad But True - Resident Evil 5
7. Assault Fire - Resident Evil 5 The Mercenaries
8. Chris Redfield's Theme - Marvel vs Capcom 3

I also threw in a mvc theme as a treat. I want to apologize in advance for the lack of variety in game rep, but there's too many good songs from Resident Evil 4's Mercenaries mode.

Boss list vote:
1. 13
2. 12
3. 9

Voting for knee!

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I've noticing a severe lack of traveling stages, and I intend to fix this.

Street Fighter Stage Submission:

Tournament Tour!

This is a traveling stage that flies you across five iconic SFII locations!

The stage will always start on Suzaku Castle, simple and flat.

Players will then hop on Rashid's plane from SFV (Which acts like the Yellow Plane on pilotwings) which will fly above the clouds and then descend down to one of the other stage locations. Where it descends is mostly random, you can't land on the same location twice in a row.

Battle Harbour (Ken's Stage) is another flat layout, but on the right there's a small boat you can jump on.

Air Force Base (Guile's Stage) has a few crates you can stand on and break, they won't respawn unless you return later in the fight. Sometimes items will appear from them!

Shopping District, Taiping Road (Chun-Li's Stage) is probably the most complex layout in this stage. You can jump on the shorter buildings and occasionally a motor-scooterist will zip past, dealing damage to those in the way.

King's Court (Sagat's Stage) is the final layout, and it's another pure flat stage. Sagat stands in the background, arms folded.

Players can also expect to return back to Suzaku Castle sooner or later.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #34: Given I submitted one of these, I'll go with MartianSnake's submission.

Job #35:
  1. 10 Bosses. A nice, round number.
  2. 12 Bosses. Seems like it'd be fun for the sake of variety!
  3. 9 Bosses. 9 is also a pretty neat number
Job #36:
Stage Name: Ryu/Guy's Stage
Stage Origin: Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams (1995)

A stage set in the streets of Japan, it's got a few unique setpieces and cameos - most prominently the SonSon store to the right, as well as Kapukon Yu (famously containing E. Honda's bathhouse) to the left. As the game continues, it'll go from midday to dusk, starting as a reference to Ryu's stage and changing to a reference to Guy's stage (given they were just palette swaps in the original game.)

The background also features cameos from a variety of characters from the Alpha series and prior, including E. Honda, Sodom, Dan, Sakura, Guy, and others. If Ryu's not being played as at all, he'll also appear in the background.

Last edited:
Top Bottom