• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Jump Stars EX - A Shonen Jump Platform Fighter

How many characters should we include at launch?

Votes: 7 70.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Hinata 8
Sasuke 7
Rock Lee 5
Kakashi 1

Hinata Hyuga will be joining the roster as the first additional Naruto rep. Quite unexpected but not unwelcome.

Job 29: Submit a stage from a 90s series
Submit a stage based on a location from a series that debuted from 1990 to 1999 and explain a bit about its origin, layout, and cameos (if there are any). Note that the following series are ineligible:
  • YuYu Hakusho
  • One Piece
  • Hunter × Hunter
  • Naruto
Any other series is fair game, regardless of whether or not it has a playable character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Shohoku Gymnasium (Slam Dunk - 1990-1996)

I'm not much of a sports manga guy, with Eyeshield 21 being the big exception. As a result, I only really know of Slam Dunk by reputation. However, sports manga have a long history within Shonen Jump, and Slam Dunk seems like one of the stand-outs, only being beaten out by a handful of series within Jump in terms of sales. (One Piece, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Kochikame, Demon Slayer, and Bleach)

As for the layout, it's a basketball court, so it would generally be long and flat. The stage could be set at evening, after practice is done, and the basketball nets on either side of the stage could serve as platforms. There wouldn't be hazards.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Seeing as it's been over 24 hours since my last post in here, I'll post a moveset idea for Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star. I won't be including Team Supers, since we're going to be nominating those later, from what I recall.

For reference, here's his Jump Ultimate Stars sprites, and his Jump Force moveset. I'll also be using elements from the Yakuza spin-off, Fist Of The North Star: Lost Paradise, though as that one's considerably more gruesome, I won't link it here.

Light Neutral: punch

Light Side: backhand. Kenshiro steps forward, throwing out a "WATTA!"

Light Down: spin kick.

Light Up: upwards kick.

Light Dash Attack: pressure point strike - Kenshiro punches with both hands

Light NAir: spin kick

Light UAir: overhead kick

Light DAir: chop.

Heavy Neutral: Juha Zan. A rapid series of kicks.

Heavy Side: Hokuto Spinebreaker. Placing his palms together as if in prayer, Kenshiro jabs forward with tremendous force.

Heavy Down: ki burst. A wave of energy forms around Kenshiro briefly, knocking anyone who's nearby away from him.

Heavy Up: nunchuks. Kenshiro pulls out a pair of nunchuks and swings them around similarly to Bruce Lee, hitting whoever's close to him or over his head.

Heavy Dash Attack: flying knee

Heavy NAir: ki burst. Similar to his heavy down attack, Kenshiro's body lets off a burst of energy, knocking opponents away from him.

Heavy UAir: flip kick. Kenshiro flips upwards to strike at opponents who are above him.

Heavy DAir: stomp. This move spikes.

Shield Attack: Ganzan Ryozan Ha. Kenshiro delivers a devastating, guard-breaking chop.

Neutral Specials: Hokuto Hyakuretsuken/Hundred Crack Fist. If you've got a passing familiarity with Fist of the North Star, you probably know this one - Kenshiro rapidly strikes his opponent's pressure points with his hands, yelling "ATATATATATATATATA!" If used in the air, he aims it diagonally downwards, similar to Toki's Celestial Fist Rush.

Side Special: Hiei Ken. A flying kick, which he used against Shin in one of the famous images from the series.

Up Special: Shiho Zan. Kenshiro leaps high into the air, combining the acrobatics of Shu with his own Hokuto Shinken techniques to deliver a spinning kick similar to the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku of Street Fighter fame.

Down Special: Tenha Kassatsu. Kenshiro shoots beams of ki energy from his fingers in the shape of the Big Dipper constellation.

Super Attack: Musou Tensei/Unconscious Transmigration of Souls. Turning intangible, Kenshiro dashes forward; once he reaches the full distance, whoever he passed through enters a cutscene super. Kenshiro calls upon the souls of his fallen friends and rivals, mimicking their attacks. He slashes the opponent similar to Rei's attacks before rapidly jabbing them like Shin would. Using a technique borrowed from Shu, he flip kicks the opponent(s) into the air. When they land, dozens of illusory Kenshiros have surrounded the opponent, similar to the secret technique of his master Ryuken. The Kenshiros swarm the opponent, striking from all angles before Kenshiro and his illusions all strike simultaneously, launching whoever was caught in the attack.

I think I'll try making a moveset for a gag character next, or someone who uses a weapon. I could make a moveset for Jotaro, but I want to get some variety in terms of basic attacks beyond different types of punches or kicks.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Job #31: Battle Ship

The Battle Ship, or Kaiba Craft 3, is where the quarterfinals of the Battle City tournament took place. The Duelists stood atop the airship as it flew, dueling each other. As a stage, the ship would fly as the fight takes place. The ship would be shrunken somewhat, but it'd still be long. It'd be possible to fall off the ship. There could also be a few platforms above the ship.​

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Sorry for not really running this thread as usual, I've been distracted by other things lately. Submissions will remain open until Friday

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Kamiya Dojo (Rurouni Kenshin)

1641415721596.png

A Swordsman ship Dojo in Tokyo that's owned by one Kamiya Kaoru (formerly by her father before his death in the Seinan War). It is also where Kenshin settles down for a while during his travels (later permanently after marrying Kaoru).

The fight takes place in the outskirts of the Dojo. It's mostly a flat stage with some trees that serve as platforms. Kaoru, Yahiko, and Sanosuke observe the battle from the background.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Apologies for the delay, but we will now begin voting on the next stage for the game. Your choices are:

Megadoomer Megadoomer Shohoku Gymnasium
Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons Battle Ship
Jondolio Jondolio Kamiya Dojo

Vote for your top 2. You can only vote for your own submission in second place

1. Shohoku Gymnaisum
2. Kamiya Dojo

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Kamiya Dojo
2. Shohoku Gymnasium

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Shohoku Gymnasium 8
Battle Ship 4
Kamiya Dojo 6

Shohoku Gymanasium will be added as a stage. It's worth mentioning that this is our first Misc stage, unless we somehow get a Slam Dunk character later down the line.

Job 30: Submit an assist from a 00s series
Submit an assist character that debuted from 2000 to 2009 and explain a bit about who they are, the series they're from, and how what they would do. They can be either returning assists from Jump Ultimate Stars or brand new, and they can also be from series that are already represented by a fighter.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Moritaka Mashiro and Akito Takagi (Bakuman - 2008)

Working under the pen name Ashirogi Muto, these two young men seek to create a manga that becomes popular enough to get an anime adaptation, in order to fulfil a marriage promise that Mashiro made to his sweetheart. Bakuman is a manga about making manga, from the team behind Death Note, and it provides a lot of insight into the nature of Shonen Jump, along with parodies (it's speculated that one character, a natural prodigy named Eiji Nizuma, is somewhat based on One Piece author Eiichiro Oda) and actual figures from Shonen Jump's history (such as Kazuhiko Torishima, Akira Toriyama's former editor who became the basis for Dr. Mashirito, the villain of Dr. Slump).

As a manga about making manga, it gets really meta at times (characters talk about wanting to end a manga at a natural point rather than dragging it on for too long, which is something that happened with plenty of series, including Fist of the North Star and arguably Ohba and Obata's previous work Death Note), and their assist would reflect that.

As Takagi watches, Mashiro gets to work on drawing. This drawing appears in front of them, as the protagonist of one of their manga appears in black and white.

Level 2: The protagonists of Perfect Crime Party (the duo's biggest success, though one that never got an anime adaptation due to controversies surrounding the manga) appear, setting off fireworks that damage whoever's caught in them.

Level 3: Schwarz (the protagonist/anti-hero of Reversi - the closest they came to a traditional battle manga, since their usual efforts tend to involve mind games or heists) lunges forward to slash at the opponent with a demonic claw.

I realize it's probably a bit strange to have an assist summon another character (especially since Bakuman's an extremely grounded series with no supernatural elements - the main characters can't make their drawings come to life, and they don't have supernaturally-good drawing skills like Rohan Kishibe from JoJo), but the series is extremely unique, and I wanted to see it represented somehow. (it's why I picked them over Kazuki Muto from Buso Renkin, Toriko from Toriko, etc.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Renji Abarai
A popular character from Beach. He originally served as a rival to Ichigo before joining forces with him to rescue their mutal friend Rukia. He then went on to become a consistent ally to the main cast. When summoned, Renji will attack with his blade Zabimaru, dealing damage to fighters before it transforms into its large skeletal snake form to perform a screen clearing blast.

Jondolio

Smash Hero

Renji Abarai
A popular character from Beach. He originally served as a rival to Ichigo before joining forces with him to rescue their mutal friend Rukia. He then went on to become a consistent ally to the main cast. When summoned, Renji will attack with his blade Zabimaru, dealing damage to fighters before it transforms into its large skeletal snake form to perform a screen clearing blast.
I realized that I didn't say this before, but since Renji was playable in Jump Ultimate Stars he's not eligible for this job

Sorry for not making that clear from the get-go

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Job #32: Lala Satalin Deviluke

Lala is an alien princess who comes to Earth and falls in love with an Earth boy named Yuuki Rito. She is the main girl in the beginning of To Love Ru, until the role is filled by other characters. She has a robot named Peke who can change her clothes instantly, as well as super strength. She has numerous other inventions, though they often backfire. As an assist, she can use the Go-Go Vacuum-Kun to suck in projectiles and pull opponents closer, or the Easy-Easy Runner-Kun to increase the summoner's movement speed.​

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Mashiro and Takagi win the poll, so they'll be added as our next assists. Now for our next job:

Job 31: Submit a veteran from a represented series
Submit a character who appeared in Jump Ultimate Stars that comes from a series that's currently represented on the roster. Though they can't be from the following series:
  • Dragon Ball
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  • One Piece
  • Naruto
There will be opportunities to submit veterans from these series later on, however (except for One Piece). There's actually a pretty narrow pool of characters you can draw from, so I'll list them all here to save you the trouble of looking them up:
  • Dr. Mashirito (Dr. Slump)
  • Raoh (Fist of the North Star)
  • Hiei (YuYu Hakusho)
  • Kurama (YuYu Hakusho)
  • Killua Zoldyck (Hunter × Hunter)
  • Rukia Kukichi (Bleach)
  • Renji Abarai (Bleach)
  • Tōshirō Hitsugaya (Bleach)
  • Kagura (Gintama)
  • Lenalee Lee (D.Gray-man)
Basically yeah, submit one of these. We'll be selecting two of them.

I will submit Killua
1642443295467.png

Killua is the deuteragonist of Hunter × Hunter. He's Gon's best friend and traveling companion who serves as his main foil. Due to being raised in a family of assassins, he has many techniques that would distinguish him from the rest of the cast, such as being able to sharpen his fingernails (to the point he can rip a person's heart out), shadow stepping, and the ability to turn his arms into whips, as well as a pair of yo-yos that pack a serious punch made by his brother Milluki. He's also immune to poison and electricity, the latter which plays into his nen ability as he's able to "charge" himself with electricity and attack with it. This includes his iconic "godspeed" transformation which increases his speed.

Thanks to the 2011 anime adaptation. Hunter × Hunter is still extremely popular, so it definitely warrants a second character, and I can't think of any character who's better suited for that role than Killua as he's basically the deuteragonist of the series and one of, if not the most popular characters.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Raoh (Fist of the North Star)

Raoh is the main antagonist of the first half of Fist of the North Star, and easily the best known. The oldest of the Four Hokuto Brothers (the four people in the running for the successor of Hokuto Shinken), Raoh was the most talented, but passed over as successor in favour of Kenshiro. When the nuclear apocalypse hit, Raoh sought to bring order to the wasteland as a violent warlord, crushing or imprisoning anyone who got in his way.

If we're getting another FotNS character, Raoh seems like the main option - popular enough to get a real life funeral (though it was likely a publicity stunt for a movie), he cast a long shadow over every villain in the series that came after him, and you could often tell how important a character in the second part was going to be by their ties to Raoh or Kenshiro.

Towering over most characters, Raoh is more of a big heavyweight bruiser than Kenshiro is. While he's extremely skilled with Hokuto Shinken, he often fights with big weighty strikes, along with ki attacks such as a sphere of energy around himself or that shonen staple, energy beams. (in his case, Hokuto Gosho Ha) A juggernaut in nearly every sense of the word, Raoh may have learned from the same school of fighting as Kenshiro, but in combat, they're nothing alike.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rukia Kukichi (Bleach)

One pf the central characters from Bleach, Ruika is actually is the one who gives Ichigo his powers at the start of the series, which led to what is often considered the best arc in the series.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho)

My boi!!! Everyone talks about Hiei, but easily the more interesting of the former demon trio is our compassionate and skilled thief Kurama. Originally he was a fox demon renowned for undoing seals and stealing treasure, but one day he was Truck-kun'd and had to isekai himself as a little pink-haired boy (I'm paraphrasing a bit there). And since then, he's really been "Kurama" in name only as his personality couldn't be any more different. Although there comes a point where he can revert back to his old terrifying self and eventually he can control it so well that he still kept his female VA in the transformation in the original anime. He is the gang's compassionate, calm and analytical fighter, though he has his limits.

His signature ability is Rose Whip, and it's exactly as it sounds. He can take any ordinary rose and infuse it with his spirit energy to create a whip that can cut through steel. When he transforms to old Kurama he can manifest a host of other, more deadly natural weapons such as a plant that traps you in a hallucination and slowly sucks your life away (he used this on the older Toguro btw. This guy has infinite regeneration, which basically meant he was trapped for an eternity. Chilling)

I can't think of a concluding statement for ****!!! :yoshi:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Killua 9
Raoh 4
Rukia 5
Kurama 1

Killua Zoldyck and Rukia Kukichi will be added to the roster.

Job 32: Submit a 2000s stage
Submit a stage based on a location from a series that debuted from 2000 to 2009 and explain a bit about its origin, layout, and cameos (if there are any). Do note that Bleach stages are ineligible

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

edekoqd3zcl5mtvkrjmv.jpg

Shinigami Realm (Death Note)
The home world of the demons from Death Note. The stage takes place in a warped void, with bone like structures and twisted trees in the background. Various demons wander around in in background.

Attachments

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Deimon Practice Field (Eyeshield 21)

The practice field for the Deimon Devil Bats football team, the main characters of Eyeshield 21. Flocks of Devil Bats, the team's mascot, can serve as platforms that move back and forth.

In the background, you can see cameos from the various members of the Deimon Devil Bats, such as Kurita, Monta, the Ha-Ha Brothers, Musashi, and Yukimitsu. (and maybe Sena, the main protagonist, depending on if he's an assist or not) Who's on the field practicing will be random, though Hiruma, Mamori, and Suzuna will always be there, watching. (other characters, like Doburoku and Cerberus, might also be on the sidelines)

After a while, Hiruma feels like the team needs to practice harder, so letting out an evil cackle, he pulls out a bazooka and fires it several times overhead. The shells land where the players are fighting (a targeting reticle shows where they will land), and everyone in the background freaks out and moves much faster. (with the exceptions of Kurita and Musashi, who are used to it; they work harder, but without freaking out about what Hiruma did)

I'm not sure how many assists there are going to be, so with Eyeshield 21's huge cast of distinct-looking characters, I figure it's best to cram a bunch of them into stage cameos to be safe.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Shinigami Realm
2. Deimon Practice Field

Top Bottom