• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Smashboards Community Symbol Map

NNID
dansalvato
ANOTHER HUGE UPDATE

The gold mine...
Pretty awesome. I believe I can answer your question about the HAL thing. Basically, Nintendo's Gamecube SDK was really barebones and basically garbage, so HAL more or less wrote its own SDK on top of Nintendo's that does a lot of what SDKs are expected to do. I believe the SDK became officially licensed/endorsed by Nintendo so that it could be used for other games as well.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Pretty awesome. I believe I can answer your question about the HAL thing. Basically, Nintendo's Gamecube SDK was really barebones and basically garbage, so HAL more or less wrote its own SDK on top of Nintendo's that does a lot of what SDKs are expected to do. I believe the SDK became officially licensed/endorsed by Nintendo so that it could be used for other games as well.
Ah, I see.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3lcLZ0XNg5SeWNDQUlZbURhTEk

Here's a link to my latest one, which was a merge of Achilles and the CSM. I've removed most of the shorthand naming in favor of having consistent names for looking up functions.

There's also been several functions added that I did, but offhand, I don't remember them. I still haven't done the majority of stage stuff that I said I would, but I did make things related to the static offset more consistent by providing the offset in the function name. That allowed me to correctly identify several other functions.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Went on a bit of a hunt for a Korean Melee ISO (supposedly the mythical 5th version of Melee) because all the Korean ISO's I've come across had complete symbol maps in them (Wind Waker, Sunshine, Master Quest). The great guys in the Korean Smash scene sent over a dump of their copy, unfortunately no extra files were on the disc. The start.dol's were identical as well. They must've just burned v1.02 onto an NTSC-J disc and called it a day.

*Edit*

Just ran it through a file compare, only difference is the byte near the game ID
and this random byte at ISO offset 0x45b

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Went on a bit of a hunt for a Korean Melee ISO (supposedly the mythical 5th version of Melee) because all the Korean ISO's I've come across had complete symbol maps in them (Wind Waker, Sunshine, Master Quest). The great guys in the Korean Smash scene sent over a dump of their copy, unfortunately no extra files were on the disc. The start.dol's were identical as well. They must've just burned v1.02 onto an NTSC-J disc and called it a day.

*Edit*

Just ran it through a file compare, only difference is the byte near the game ID
and this random byte at ISO offset 0x45b
That was a good idea. Bummer it didn't have a map.

The differing bytes are the disc version and country code, respectively.

Absolome

Smash Cadet
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3lcLZ0XNg5SeWNDQUlZbURhTEk

Here's a link to my latest one, which was a merge of Achilles and the CSM. I've removed most of the shorthand naming in favor of having consistent names for looking up functions.

There's also been several functions added that I did, but offhand, I don't remember them. I still haven't done the majority of stage stuff that I said I would, but I did make things related to the static offset more consistent by providing the offset in the function name. That allowed me to correctly identify several other functions.
Good work! I've now merged some small finds I've had (really small, I've been busy with school and a lot of what I was tinkering with got blasted away by Achille's findings) into the map you've posted here and pushed it to the git repository, so that should finally be up to date. One of these days I'll have time to update the OP.

I've been meaning to get back to this, I want to add the rest of the information I can mine from crazyhand (which pulls all of its info directly from .dat files). I've got about half the characters done so far

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Good work! I've now merged some small finds I've had (really small, I've been busy with school and a lot of what I was tinkering with got blasted away by Achille's findings) into the map you've posted here and pushed it to the git repository, so that should finally be up to date. One of these days I'll have time to update the OP.

I've been meaning to get back to this, I want to add the rest of the information I can mine from crazyhand (which pulls all of its info directly from .dat files). I've got about half the characters done so far
Does the CSM still name functions based on who labelled them? I've found it wasn't very usable this way without ctrl+f'ing the map in a text file.

Absolome

Smash Cadet
Does the CSM still name functions based on who labelled them? I've found it wasn't very usable this way without ctrl+f'ing the map in a text file.
Most of that is gone, the only ones still named that way are mostly the unknown ones (so that you can know who was looking into it), stuff like "runsOnEachFrameInCss?"

Brandondorf9999

Smash Cadet
Here's a new offset I found that should be on the symbols list on the map:

0x8017c9a8 - br9_GameOver_Difficulty_Requirements

Last edited:

Brandondorf9999

Smash Cadet
Here's two addresses I found.
0x801b0c74 - br9_Debug_Continue_Enter
0x80172dd4 - br9_VsCharacterUnlockMatch

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
FYI, 80375404 & 8037540C are both misnamed.

They are said to be HSD_GetCurrentRenderPass, but that's actually impossible. In 8037F1E4, HSD_MemAlloc, it's passed as an argument to OSAllocFromHeap as r3. OSAllocFromHeap's args are OSHeapHandle = r3 and size = r4. Thus, they cannot be the CurrentRenderPass, as that's simply a value of 1 - 4 based on the screen segment, not a heap handle.

Top Bottom