• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - September 9th

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I am agreeing with you, but I just want to add something.

The reason why Sakurai has gotten rid of tripping was because we complained about its inclusion in Brawl. That was a good indication for us to complain about the finished and ready-to-go product.

Also, while it's probably obvious to you, the reason for Sakurai reducing landing-lag for the final version of Smash 4 (as reported during the Crashboards event) was because everybody complained about it.

If there is something in Smash 4 that proves to be inherently broken, we're well off complaining about that too. Especially since patching now is possible.
Those are indeed very good points. I'll concede that part of my post. Thanks for clearing that up!

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I don't get what everyone is bickering about. Finally having a reason to play Classic is a great Pic of the Day to me. It reveals information about how to unlock things and I think that should increase the hype factor.

Frankly, even if Mewtwo were in the game, I'd hate to see him revealed, because then I'd have to sit through everyone in every post ever saying "where's Ridley?", and frankly the people here don't deserve to have their favorite characters revealed.

I am agreeing with you, but I just want to add something.

The reason why Sakurai has gotten rid of tripping was because we complained about its inclusion in Brawl. That was a good indication for us to complain about the finished and ready-to-go product.

Also, while it's probably obvious to you, the reason for Sakurai reducing landing-lag for the final version of Smash 4 (as reported during the Crashboards event) was because everybody complained about it.

If there is something in Smash 4 that proves to be inherently broken, we're well off complaining about that too. Especially since patching now is possible.

HOWEVER, the reason why this bickering is pointless in the first place isn't because people are unsatisfied with the menus. It's because the daily news aren't supposed to be constant character and stage reveals. At the peak of our hype, so many of us get blinded, and can't seem to realize that Sakurai WILL keep the rest of the major parts secret, no matter what.

The final hurrah of daily pictures are a fine indication of Sakurai going into specific details on the game, most of which he hasn't touched so far, and it's probably the last batch of his catalogue that's possible to show off prior to release. At this point however, people have gotten too greedy with these news and are expecting to get the rest of the meat prior to release.

That's not going to happen, guys. We won't get secret reveals, or special new characters. The rest will be the finer details. You have to realize that so that you won't be disappointed.
You make a valid point, but about legitimate problems with the finished product that was Brawl. What people are complaining about here is the Pic of the Day being menus, when this Pic of the Day isn't even a menu. It has no influence over the game and it's legitimate news that people should know if they want to get the full experience of the game (which apparently 80% of people don't care about doing). Complaining about aspects of the game is a completely reasonable thing to do when the game is released and people have actually played it. As it stands, it really is just a bunch of whiny butthurts that beg the question "why does Sakurai bother?"

D

Deleted member

You make a valid point, but about legitimate problems with the finished product that was Brawl. What people are complaining about here is the Pic of the Day being menus, when this Pic of the Day isn't even a menu. It has no influence over the game and it's legitimate news that people should know if they want to get the full experience of the game (which apparently 80% of people don't care about doing). Complaining about aspects of the game is a completely reasonable thing to do when the game is released and people have actually played it. As it stands, it really is just a bunch of whiny butthurts that beg the question "why does Sakurai bother?"
I disagree with the notion that people aren't allowed to complain about a game prior to release. The majority of cases are uncalled for, but as you know, the whole landing lag ordeal was something that made a lot of people complain. Even those who didn't test it out.

What I do agree with is that these complaints are whiny. It's because of one thing really. Nobody is complaining about the game at all. Only that they're not getting more "interesting" news. These complaints are, as you've already said, non-consequential to the final product, as what people really are complaining about is a minor aspect of a majorly successful advertisement-campaign.

No-one can claim that the pic-of-the-day system has been a waste of time for the fans. Everyone avidly followed it to learn more, and it's only a few times that it wasn't informative by comparison to the majority of cases. This final batch is actually giving us new information about some pretty essential things, again, as you've said.

I've yet to see a complaint on this thread that wasn't "I don't care about this". Nothing that states "this new system is stupid". Alas, there's hardly much to do at this point. The amount of expectations people are feeling is generally enough to make them greedy.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with the notion that people aren't allowed to complain about a game prior to release. The majority of cases are uncalled for, but as you know, the whole landing lag ordeal was something that made a lot of people complain. Even those who didn't test it out.

What I do agree with is that these complaints are whiny. It's because of one thing really. Nobody is complaining about the game at all. Only that they're not getting more "interesting" news. These complaints are, as you've already said, non-consequential to the final product, as what people really are complaining about is a minor aspect of a majorly successful advertisement-campaign.

No-one can claim that the pic-of-the-day system has been a waste of time for the fans. Everyone avidly followed it to learn more, and it's only a few times that it wasn't informative by comparison to the majority of cases. This final batch is actually giving us new information about some pretty essential things, again, as you've said.

I've yet to see a complaint on this thread that wasn't "I don't care about this". Nothing that states "this new system is stupid". Alas, there's hardly much to do at this point. The amount of expectations people are feeling is generally enough to make them greedy.
I think "complain" is the wrong word here if you're referring to constructive criticism, which is healthy for any game being developed. Complaining in general has negative connotations to it and should never be seen as a legitimate form of criticism in the Smash community as a whole.

D

Deleted member

I think "complain" is the wrong word here if you're referring to constructive criticism, which is healthy for any game being developed. Complaining in general has negative connotations to it and should never be seen as a legitimate form of criticism in the Smash community as a whole.
Complaints can on occasion be synonymous with criticism of the media in question. The criticism E3 Smash 4 received was often under the veil of being categorized as complaints. Of course, there were also examples of more respectable feedback.

That's not to say that it cannot be toxic of course, and it's especially prominent in the smash community, but it does not necessarily mean that it cannot be considered to be useful for game-developers.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042

I see what you mean about the landing lag, but even still, wasn't this only brought up after the E3 demo was played and the game showcased? I would still count that as people having played it or being made aware of it as an issue. If I'm wrong and people were complaining about landing lag before the demo, ignore this post. I completely agree with you, though.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Well this just means even more characters have to be revealed on the same day. Maybe the rest revealed during the tree house stream?

D

Deleted member

I see what you mean about the landing lag, but even still, wasn't this only brought up after the E3 demo was played and the game showcased? I would still count that as people having played it or being made aware of it as an issue. If I'm wrong and people were complaining about landing lag before the demo, ignore this post. I completely agree with you, though.
It was indeed the case that people only complained after someone had tested it, but that also meant that people who had heard of its existence began complaining about it despite not having played it themselves.

The fact that it was reported meant that it became an observable factor of the overall quality of the game. This was reported to the public, and people reacted accordingly. That means that people gave negative feedback based on the information they had been given.

I'm willing to guess that if the negative outburst wasn't of this caliber, there would be a chance that Sakurai wouldn't have taken the tester-feedback as seriously as he did. And even if he would, the content of the complaints were on a basic level the same as the more constructive feedback that was give during E3.

Look at it like this; if Sakurai announced that tripping would be back (which didn't happen) and that he would increase landing lag considerably, people would give feedback accordingly (i.e complain about his decisions).
If he didn't reveal any details prior to testing, the feedback would be given later in development, and he would be under more pressure than necessary. If the situation was different (i.e that Sakurai's decisions sounded good on paper but felt horrible ingame), it would be an entirely different issue than this in particular.

The only real difference is the time the feedback is given. Sometimes the outcome is different. It's better that it's given earlier for both the consumer's and the developer's convenience.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
This reward system sounds terrible. Hopefully most of it can be purchased in the same way as trophies. Grinding over and over and over through a mode to unlock one hat would be obnoxious.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Next pic of the day: "Because you were all so salty about my pictures of stuff you already knew and didn't care about, I am going to announce that we have removed versus mode. Please understand."

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
This reward system sounds terrible. Hopefully most of it can be purchased in the same way as trophies. Grinding over and over and over through a mode to unlock one hat would be obnoxious.
It gives use to all of those coins gained in classic and all-star, and I know that grinding is annoying (F*** MOTHER 1 GRINDING) but is easy to get all the custom moveset stuff. And if you think it's obnoxious go play another mode, nobody orders you to grind in Classic.

Next pic of the day: "Because you were all so salty about my pictures of stuff you already knew and didn't care about, I am going to announce that we have removed versus mode. Please understand."
LIKE MARIO KART 7?! NO THANKS!! I rather drink recycled piss water.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I don't get the people complaining. I ike these pics of the day showing single-player modes and menus. This way we won't be completely lost thinking "what is this?" when the game releases. I'm pretty sure we will get a newcomer in the stream that happens this friday. For now, I'm happy with menu and single-player mode pics.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Red rewards! I shall get ALL the red rewards! Forget green and yellow rewards! I must have the red rewards!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
It was indeed the case that people only complained after someone had tested it, but that also meant that people who had heard of its existence began complaining about it despite not having played it themselves.

The fact that it was reported meant that it became an observable factor of the overall quality of the game. This was reported to the public, and people reacted accordingly. That means that people gave negative feedback based on the information they had been given.

I'm willing to guess that if the negative outburst wasn't of this caliber, there would be a chance that Sakurai wouldn't have taken the tester-feedback as seriously as he did. And even if he would, the content of the complaints were on a basic level the same as the more constructive feedback that was give during E3.

Look at it like this; if Sakurai announced that tripping would be back (which didn't happen) and that he would increase landing lag considerably, people would give feedback accordingly (i.e complain about his decisions).
If he didn't reveal any details prior to testing, the feedback would be given later in development, and he would be under more pressure than necessary. If the situation was different (i.e that Sakurai's decisions sounded good on paper but felt horrible ingame), it would be an entirely different issue than this in particular.

The only real difference is the time the feedback is given. Sometimes the outcome is different. It's better that it's given earlier for both the consumer's and the developer's convenience.
My initial point was that people complain about things that they don't know about (i.e. newcomers and stages, etc.). I'm glad people complained about the E3 demo, don't get me wrong. In hindsight, I don't actually know what argument I was trying to make; I was just salty that the people here are so salty. Sorry 'bout that.

D

Deleted member

My initial point was that people complain about things that they don't know about (i.e. newcomers and stages, etc.). I'm glad people complained about the E3 demo, don't get me wrong. In hindsight, I don't actually know what argument I was trying to make; I was just salty that the people here are so salty. Sorry 'bout that.
My point was really that complaints about confirmed aspects of the game should be considered feedback rather than needless nagging. It can of course be useless, but the whole E3 ordeal proved to be beneficial in the end, as many would agree on.

But I do understand what you mean. Basically that people are mad about the lack of major confirmations this close to release. And I agree with you. I find them frustrating as well.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
i wonder how many customisable parts there are, and could there also be unlockable alts for the actual characters?

Top Bottom