• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - September 11th

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
Why is everybody against Dark Pit?! If they give him the other weapons from uprising that pit doesn't use, he could be awesome.Give home the claws and a staff and a palm. Why so much Dark Pit hate on the PotD thread.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Alph is just an alternate skin as Olimar. They use the same character slot, otherwise Alph would have gotten his own trailer.
Metaknight didn't get his own trailer and was announced at screenshot of the day. But yeah, I understand your point. lol

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So... Alph isn't good enough to be his own character, but Dark Pit is? Especially considering that Pikmin has the same amount of games as Kid Icarus. Heck it sold more copies!(I think)

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Yet Dark Pit and Dr. Mario play raaaadically different from their counterparts, right?

I forgot the Pic of the Day over the stream.
Only major difference that I can think of for the doctor would be the FLUDD being replaced by the tornado. Not that we couldn't do that with custom mvoesets tho...
So... Alph isn't good enough to be his own character, but Dark Pit is? Especially considering that Pikmin has the same amount of games as Kid Icarus. Heck it sold more copies!(I think)
Also, in my opinion, the Pikmin series has more good games than Kid Icarus (three times more!).
Alph not using Rock Pikmin and Sharing Olimar's pose in an insult in itself.
Not sure how this is an insult at all. He's just an alt. There no reason why he'd use rock pikmin and the similar pose shows that he's an alt. At least he's in.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I don't see why they didn't just make him his own character with a small difference like they did with Lucina, Doc, and Dark Pit. Sakurai doesn't even explain that he's just a costume in here.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Wonder what other kind of characters will have this different character skin. Daisy/Peach, Lucas/Ness, Dr.Mario/Mario
I wish all of those were true.
So Fierce Deity Link confirmed?View attachment 24744
Well what this means to me is that DiddyK will not be getting a Dixie alt (colours only, not a namechange.)
Metaknight didn't get his own trailer and was announced at screenshot of the day. But yeah, I understand your point. lol
Seriously? You didn't notice this? Trailers are only for newcomers. M.Knight was in Brawl.

Last edited:

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
People, this isn't some new character addition. This is Olimar's moveset but a representative from the latest Pikmin.

I think it's good, they added another character through alternative skin. Which is good.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I think some of you guys are misinterpreting his post... Sakurai words it strangely but Alph is an alternate costume. His name will change when you select him, however. I'm assuming the announcer uses his name as well. :-)

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
This is pretty cool. Now if only we could understand why Dr. Mario isn't an alt skin for Mario, why Dark pit isn't a pit alt...

Ah well, the minds of developers is beyond me. I just read words on a page.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Seeing this makes me mourn the loss of Roy even more. I swear, if he isn't going to be DLC... ;n;

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I still don't see why Dark Pit gets his own slot.
Haven't seen anything in the stream to display that he really deserves his own spot. Plus Nintendo has other characters deserve it more [or they need to advertise them more].

I am still thankful for the game and all that ... but Dark Pit seems to be the only let down thus far for me.
I don't get this. Dark Pit = another character. Another character = more characters. More characters = good. Why are people complaining?

joomragre

Smash Cadet
So all these complete characters with cloned moves get their own slot when they could've been costume changes and name changes as is clearly possible with alph and olimar?! Pit and Mario could have easily gotten this treatment for pittoo and Dr. Mario. I hope Ness gets Lucas, Fox gets wolf, peach gets daisy, pacman gets the ms., it's likely since we have male and female of robin and villager, even bowser jr supposedly has his bros and sis as alts...oh sakurai and your mysterious ways!

joomragre

Smash Cadet
I don't get this. Dark Pit = another character. Another character = more characters. More characters = good. Why are people complaining?
Because Alph=another character. But he's similar to olimar so he's in the same slot with a name and appearance change. So one would naturally think why not slap dark pit in as a costume and name change as well? Same with lucina and marth, Mario and Dr. Mario and now with the move customization it could've differentiated the alt costumes if done correctly.

Earthbound_PKMN_Trainer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roboticsuperstar
3DS FC
0731-6040-6586
Preface: I admit that I might be/have been preemptively complaining.

Quite frankly, I'm not entirely against clones. One of my all time mains happens to be Luigi, who was initially labeled as such. Falco was another character I dabbled with from time to time.

My problem is, if Dark Pit [Pitoo] just had to be in the game, then please variate his moveset from Pit's. I understand the gripe over Lucas and Wolf being dropped. Their moves deviated from the attacks that Ness and Fox and even Falco have.

From what little I saw, DP's moves looked just like Pit's. At that point is when I'm like: what about Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, ICE CLIMBERS and whoever else that did have a unique move pool.

I also sympathize for Sakurai. I'm studying game design ... I know making these kind of games isn't easy. Too much hype. He puts his health on the line. And no matter what, he can't win ... there will ALWAYS be someone/some contingent that do not agree with him or appreciate his choices/work.

I dreamed about Shulk being in. I almost cried when Ness was unlocked on twitch last night. I still love the game AND I ONLY PLAYED A BIT OF IT BACK DURING E3, I don't even have it yet.

I agree, more characters = better product = greater value.
But if one character is basically JUST like another, then I don't see the real benefit of it's inclusion as a standalone fighter.
Also, if Bowser Jr. can have the Koopa Kids as his alternates, and Lucina was PLANNED to just be an alt, then why not Dark Pit. Hiss physics look too similar to warrant another roster spot.
But then again, I haven't even played the full game yet ... so derp.

Last edited:

Earthbound_PKMN_Trainer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roboticsuperstar
3DS FC
0731-6040-6586
@Tepig2000
TL;dr ...

I feel bad for our Based Sakurai, there will always be someone who is upset with him, no matter how asinine the reason.

You're right, more fighters = the better
if one is just like the other with no variation in moves almost at all ... then why not just make then an alt.

Olimar and Bowser Jr. both utilize alternate MODELS not just skin/textures. DP could have been the same for Pit.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
First off, Alph is just an alternate skin and is not another clone, so calm yourselves.

Second of all, I don't exactly understand the amount of complaining. Do you actually realize how many true clones there are? Just three; Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, and Lucina. You may be grouping the likes of Luigi, Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Falco with them, which is understandable. But the truth of the matter is that these characters are not clones, or at least not anymore. They became more refined and distinct in how they play with each new Smash Bros. installment. Luigi has not been a true clone of Mario since the first Smash Bros. in 1999, for example.

In addition, Dark Pit, Lucina, and Doctor Mario don't take away any slots from other characters because they were already in the game. Let me explain. These three were originally conceptualized like Alph was; they were to just be alternate skins for Mario, Pit, and Marth, respectively. However, Sakurai would eventually decide to *tweak* them slightly. Because their no longer just skins for the characters they applied to, Sakurai thought it would be more appropriate to give them individual slots for record-keeping. This didn't take anything away from the roster. It's not like Sakurai decided to cut a unique character in favor of making three clones. If they were not made into distinct characters, than we'd have the same exact roster we have now but without Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
You guys are all overlooking the only true positive to having clones in character slots!

Every clone character gets it's own set of costumes, right?

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Its kinda sad that the day Sakurai posted something that's not a menu, everybody ignored him and focused on the major leak of the game.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I would've happily taken him as a clone.

caspar

Smash Rookie
First off, Alph is just an alternate skin and is not another clone, so calm yourselves.

Second of all, I don't exactly understand the amount of complaining. Do you actually realize how many true clones there are? Just three; Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, and Lucina. You may be grouping the likes of Luigi, Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Falco with them, which is understandable. But the truth of the matter is that these characters are not clones, or at least not anymore. They became more refined and distinct in how they play with each new Smash Bros. installment. Luigi has not been a true clone of Mario since the first Smash Bros. in 1999, for example.

In addition, Dark Pit, Lucina, and Doctor Mario don't take away any slots from other characters because they were already in the game. Let me explain. These three were originally conceptualized like Alph was; they were to just be alternate skins for Mario, Pit, and Marth, respectively. However, Sakurai would eventually decide to *tweak* them slightly. Because their no longer just skins for the characters they applied to, Sakurai thought it would be more appropriate to give them individual slots for record-keeping. This didn't take anything away from the roster. It's not like Sakurai decided to cut a unique character in favor of making three clones. If they were not made into distinct characters, than we'd have the same exact roster we have now but without Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit.
101 you're awesome - and you've completely brought light onto this dispute. And i'm certain there are notable differences between the originals and the clones which is something to be discovered, when we play the game ourselves. It's all part of the fun. I mean, i know that i will enjoy the likes of these characters regardless of if they're clones or not.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
101 you're awesome - and you've completely brought light onto this dispute. And i'm certain there are notable differences between the originals and the clones which is something to be discovered, when we play the game ourselves. It's all part of the fun. I mean, i know that i will enjoy the likes of these characters regardless of if they're clones or not.
Toon Link is definately a clone of Link. Their final smashes are also exactly the same.

Ganondorf is still a slow C.Falcon clone. Why the hell?? Why did Sakurai not gave him moves respective to the actual zelda games? Ganondorf is able to shoot energetic/electric balls, has a sword, can float... but no, he had to have a racer's moveset instead because no logic.

Falco is still a fox clone as always. Let's drop Wolf, the antagonist, with his more different moveset, because we don't want different playing characters?

No, let's add lucina, another blue haired swordfighter from FE with exactly the same moves as Marth. She could as well have been an alt costume like Olimar/Alph. Who cares that her sword acts a little different with the tip of it? Does that really require a special slot?

do i need to continue?

Things like this make the game look like it was made in a hurry. Ofcourse I undahstahnd that testing like 50 characters is one hell of a job, but hey, if the game needed more time, than so be it. Now it actually had to be released because of the bad wii u sellings. And just because they want to sell the 3ds first to hype the wii u version, they had to release it even sooner.

After all i'm still happy with the amount of newcomers and they did one hell of a good job, so kudos to sakurai and his team for sure, but there's always these decisions that were made i do not understand. It all seems like it is not focussed on having an actual variety of characters, but rather to pay homage to all the nintendo characters and their history. Which is fine, but not what the fans are really hoping for. It's all kind of his own ideal roster with Dark Pit being in as a own character since it's his own franchise. You can see he clearly took a lot of things from KI Uprising. All fine to me, but just lazy in some way.

And now, before people start telling me how hard it is blablah, I know. But the fact is that there just wasn't enough time to develop everything there was asked for. They cut characters that were requested a lot. There are many returning stages and music, unique characters still play like a clone from some other character... all these things just give me the idea that it's a rushed game and that saddens me a bit.

... well, as i said, i'm still gonna love playing the game. Duck hunt Dog seems really cool, and the wii fit trainers are awesome too and there are enough newcomers to make everyone happy, so yeah...

Last edited:

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Why couldn't Doctor Mario and Dark Pit be alts then? The roster is near perfect tho i have to say. Still think Dixie Kong should be in the game

proxibomb

Smash Clown
What pisses me off the most is that Alph is a costume, yet Dark Pit and Doctor Mario are characters.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai is going to be like "We ran out of time. Again"

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Definitely a troll. In other somewhat related news, weren't we promised a roster with better variety over size? Call me crazy but I'm positive that clones don't count as variety.
I'm disappointed that there are clones at all myself, as Sakurai said there wouldn't be any many moons ago, but there really isn't that many and Alph is an alt.

I would actually say the promise of more variety has been kept, and to a very high standard to boot. Most of the new character introduced this time around have movesets and mechanics that haven't been seen or paralleled in a Smash game yet. They have definitely added plenty of variety.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Toon Link is definately a clone of Link. Their final smashes are also exactly the same.

Ganondorf is still a slow C.Falcon clone. Why the hell?? Why did Sakurai not gave him moves respective to the actual zelda games? Ganondorf is able to shoot energetic/electric balls, has a sword, can float... but no, he had to have a racer's moveset instead because no logic.

Falco is still a fox clone as always. Let's drop Wolf, the antagonist, with his more different moveset, because we don't want different playing characters?

No, let's add lucina, another blue haired swordfighter from FE with exactly the same moves as Marth. She could as well have been an alt costume like Olimar/Alph. Who cares that her sword acts a little different with the tip of it? Does that really require a special slot?

do i need to continue?

Things like this make the game look like it was made in a hurry. Ofcourse I undahstahnd that testing like 50 characters is one hell of a job, but hey, if the game needed more time, than so be it. Now it actually had to be released because of the bad wii u sellings. And just because they want to sell the 3ds first to hype the wii u version, they had to release it even sooner.

After all i'm still happy with the amount of newcomers and they did one hell of a good job, so kudos to sakurai and his team for sure, but there's always these decisions that were made i do not understand. It all seems like it is not focussed on having an actual variety of characters, but rather to pay homage to all the nintendo characters and their history. Which is fine, but not what the fans are really hoping for. It's all kind of his own ideal roster with Dark Pit being in as a own character since it's his own franchise. You can see he clearly took a lot of things from KI Uprising. All fine to me, but just lazy in some way.

And now, before people start telling me how hard it is blablah, I know. But the fact is that there just wasn't enough time to develop everything there was asked for. They cut characters that were requested a lot. There are many returning stages and music, unique characters still play like a clone from some other character... all these things just give me the idea that it's a rushed game and that saddens me a bit.

... well, as i said, i'm still gonna love playing the game. Duck hunt Dog seems really cool, and the wii fit trainers are awesome too and there are enough newcomers to make everyone happy, so yeah...
Ganondorf and Falco were clones of Captain Falcon and Fox, respectively, in Super Smash Bros. Melee. That is true. However, they returned in Brawl as what is called a semi-clone. Allow me to explain. Sakurai made these two more distinct by giving them unique animations, hitboxes, and attack values. He even changed the functionality of some of their special moves and animations for them. For example, Ganondorf's side special in Melee was Gerudo Dragon. It was nearly identical to Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost. In Brawl, however, he was given Flame Choke as his side special. The attack now entails Ganondorf flying forward and grabbing an opponent by the throat and strangling them. They'd then collapse on the ground. If Ganondorf was a clone, he would still have used Gerudo Dragon. This was one of many examples, but I think I made my point. Toon Link was also introduced as a semi-clone, but not a complete clone. But to say he is a clone because of his final smash is just silly. That's like saying Sheik is a clone of Zelda because they both use Arrows of Light.
I admit they aren't the most unique characters on the roster, but they are not clones. They are semi-clones. Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario are the true clones.

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Don't see why everybody is complaining. There are other people who appreciate chararacters such as Dr.Mario (me), the Roy fans, Dark pit fans, Falco fans, Luigi's fans, and Lucina fans.

It's an act of selfishness, the man has enough on his plate.

Who cares if they add clones? It's just variations.

For example : Somebody likes Marth but isn't good at tipping, well Sakurai adds Lucina so people can play a character similar to Marth but have an easier time.

Instead of bashing Sakurai, you should thank him.

The majority of you people are why we wait for so long, because we are thought of as selfish, and that we think we deserve everything we desire.

I'll be the first to say, thank you Mr. Masahiro Sakurai.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Don't see why everybody is complaining. There are other people who appreciate chararacters such as Dr.Mario (me), the Roy fans, Dark pit fans, Falco fans, Luigi's fans, and Lucina fans.

It's an act of selfishness, the man has enough on his plate.

Who cares if they add clones? It's just variations.

For example : Somebody likes Marth but isn't good at tipping, well Sakurai adds Lucina so people can play a character similar to Marth but have an easier time.

Instead of bashing Sakurai, you should thank him.

The majority of you people are why we wait for so long, because we are thought of as selfish, and that we think we deserve everything we desire.

I'll be the first to say, thank you Mr. Masahiro Sakurai.

Well, we all have our opinions and we don't have to just take everything we get served without being able to say what we think about it. Of course we're all thankfull but we're not all just fully 100% satisfied. Most people had their hopes and they didn't get heard. So they're about 80% satisfied. let's say for that 20% they're missing, they want to be heard. That's the complaining all about. The missing content.

I was very hopefull for Dixie Kong, esspecially since the recent DK games. Mewtwo got represented in the latest pokemongames with TWO different mega-evolutions. They already made his model in melee, they see the love he gets in project M. And even though Nintendo doesn't want to have anything to do with PM, they know very well what the mod is all about and how much it is loved by the true fans.

Sakurai once again did an amazing job on the game, but he doesn't really listened or paid attention to the biggest requests such as ridley, mewtwo etc. I know there were lot's of people screaming for third party chartacters like pacman, megaman, shulk... and they got in over Nintendo's own requested franchises like ridley, mewtwo, dixie, K.Rool, . That's the part for me that did not satisfy me. That did not compute to me. There's logic missing. The only reason why i'm complaining. The rest is really ok to me.

Top Bottom