• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 21st

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. The leg and arm positions of some characters will automatically be mirrored when facing left or right. Mario, for example, will have his chest shown in the foreground regardless of whether he's facing right or left. This was quite a tedious task, but thanks to it we can show the best features of each character even better."

He also included a second picture saying "Here's another example: in the previous games, you saw the back of Kirby's head when facing left. Now Kirby looks great from any angle."

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
This game just ends up looking better and better with each passing day! That darkish Bowser on the right looks menacing af

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
You know, I didn't even notice this was implemented until Sakurai pointed it out...I feel slow...

Anyways, dat Red Greninja!! :o

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I think I know what skin for Bowser I'll be using.

Caporai

Smash Journeyman
How will it affect link and the other characters that have different items?

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Pointless addition. Sakurai has his priorities straight I see.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
"This was quite a tedious task..."

If they do this to Link I'm going to be ticked off. Not really... But seriously...

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I was waiting for Sakurai to show the different colors for a while now. But noooooo. He had to go on and repeat everything he showed in the direct again.

Well played, Sakuri, well played.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Black Bowser is best Bowser.

I like that he said he only did it for "some" characters. I think Samus would look weird if all of a sudden her arm cannon switched hands.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
There's the fabled Morton Koopa senior! :bee: (Not really, the Koopalings are not Bowser's kids anymore. :glare:)

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman

False. This is you cutting corners. You just mirrored it so you wouldn't have to work so much. Now half the cast is ambidextrous. If they do this to Link I'm going to be ticked off. Not really... But seriously...
Let's keep in mind he said "some" and not all. I'd like to think at least Link is safe.

I actually like this change. It adds more of a fighting game aesthetic to it. Plus, who wants to see someone's back?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

False. This is you cutting corners. You just mirrored it so you wouldn't have to work so much. Now half the cast is ambidextrous. If they do this to Link I'm going to be ticked off. Not really... But seriously...
Pretty sure mirroring might be quite difficult to program on a 3D game. Doesn't look like it's just cut-n-paste.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Yea, some characters are the same on either side, there should be no need to redo them on the other side. Especially when things can be expressed better if they look the same either way.

And no, mirroring is in all likelihood not that difficult. You're simply putting in a flipped texture when they go in that direction.

I doubt they'll do this to characters like link, samus, etc.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Also, I take back what I said about not getting anything interesting until E3, red Greninja is amazing.

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
Good. I no longer need to have Dedede face right if I want him to do his sexy crouching pose.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I think the best part about this update is confirming that Greninja won't suffer the same coloring problem as the other Pokem and Sonic in Brawl where they were ever so slightly shaded a certain color, instead Greninja here is legit red instead of very slightly red but still mostly blue.

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980

This is not a mirror effect. Just look at Greninja's neck. You can see the line where his scarf twists on the red one, but not on the regular one.

Toa Idar

Banned via Warnings
I've seen some people become mad because of this new feature...
Why!? This is only a good thing!
Do you think Mega Man should look like this when shooting to the left?

This is so we can more easily see the expresiveness of the characters. And its not just a mirror effect, they would have to make for example: Greninjas tounge be on the other side of his head, which they have done.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I remember a screenshot a few months ago showing Marth with his back facing the camera. So either Sakurai changed his mind on that, or this won't affect characters who are established to wield a weapon in a certain hand.

I like this change, though. Seeing a characters back when facing a certain direction never sat well with me. And sure, it's an arbitrary change that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but not EVERY change needs to be something earth-shattering.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I remember a screenshot a few months ago showing Marth with his back facing the camera. So either Sakurai changed his mind on that, or this won't affect characters who are established to wield a weapon in a certain hand.

I like this change, though. Seeing a characters back when facing a certain direction never sat well with me. And sure, it's an arbitrary change that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but not EVERY change needs to be something earth-shattering.
I think in the direct ZSS wasn't mirrored aswell but I'm not sure about that

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Trying to imagine what turning around will look like makes my head hurt.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'm surprised there's been no screaming about Palutena, there in the background of picture 2.
We've seen it several times already. But, ok, I'll try.

Uh, hang on, give me a second... oh, I got it! So there are two Bowsers in that screenshot, right? Well, in Ocarina of Time, Malon and Talon had matching Bowser brooches around their necks. Two brooches there, and two Bowsers here. Coincidence? I think not! In the Palutena leak, people swore they saw a Starman on Palutena's belt, which is from the Mario series, just like Bowser. And Mario is considered the mascot of Smash Bros., hence why Sakurai would reference it rather than any other franchise. And the reason Kirby is in the screenshot also? Well, because of his famous copy ability! Sakurai was "copying" the reference to another Nintendo franchise by putting a Starman on Palutena's belt, just like those Bowser brooches from OoT.

Thus, the leak is real; Palutena confirmed!

Gryffin

Smash Cadet
I think some of you are misinterpreting this. If Link is facing left, his chest will be facing out, his left foot will be set back, and his sword will be in the foreground, though slightly beside/behind his back. If Link is facing right, his chest will still be facing out, if right foot will be set back, and his shield will be in the foreground, though slightly beside/behind his back. It's technically a different stance, with each arm held either forward or backward.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
lol why are people getting mad about this? Plus that red greninja looks tight!

Top Bottom