• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 21st

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm rather concerned about how this will work for those who are wielding weapons. Marth is a right-handed swordsman, so you'd expect his face to be facing towards his own sword.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
I'm rather concerned about how this will work for those who are wielding weapons. Marth is a right-handed swordsman, so you'd expect his face to be facing towards his own sword.
He did say it will only affect CERTAIN characters, so we don't need to worry about this

Globophoca

Smash Rookie
This is not a mirror effect. Just look at Greninja's neck. You can see the line where his scarf twists on the red one, but not on the regular one.
Thank you. Sakurai didn't say anything about a character's features being mirrored, only its posture. My concern is turnarounds. The animation is, as I'd imagine, either shorter because the character simply turns slightly while facing the foreground, or longer because the character makes more than a half circle by turning around to face the background. Will this make turnarounds shorter or longer time-wise? If so, wouldn't that would make turnarounds slightly more or less punishable?

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't like this.
EDIT: NM just some characters, I trust the reasons for this then.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't think I would have noticed unless it was pointed out... but this is pretty cool. I applaud them for going that extra mile. but I feel sorry for that one guy out there who likes looking at Mario's rear end.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Pointless addition. Sakurai has his priorities straight I see.
Stop being so serious, its a nice tid-bit with the showing of different colors for the characters

We don't need something amazing everyday

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
This update is actually really interesting, I like it. I always thought characters facing the other direction was somewhat weird.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Link is going to be left handed even when facing left, his stance is going to change so that he is facing slightly toward the camera regardless of which direction he is facing. I think that's clearly why he went out of his way to say 'some', because he knows how sensitive most of you are. :p

So this is ostensibly less lazy. In previous games each character would have one model and set of animations, and they would just be rotated 180 degrees when left facing, whereas here, all of the asymetrical characters will have two sets of models and animations.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This is all kinds of awesome. The fact that Sakurai puts so much detail in all of the models is just so amazing.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I ****ING CALLED IT!
No, really, in my character comparison thread, I saw that characters seemed to always be facing the camera.
I'm getting good at this, I even predicted Greninja being playable...

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Question: Shouldn't somebody have noticed this in all the gameplay we've seen? Don't get me wrong, I love the feature, but I really don't understand how we haven't noticed this before.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
A cool little piece of info, and for what it's worth, Red-Greninja really is a new reveal.

Did anyone see what they did with the characters there, pairing a fire user with a water user and the heaviest character in the games so far with one of the lightest?

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I like this addition because of characters backs not being particularly interesting for the most part. I remember when I first played Melee, I would always try to get the camera to glitch behind the character so I could see their face when I was looking the other direction.

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
I have been waiting to see alternate colors ever since Super Smash Bros. 4 has been announced. As for the new change itself, I am really liking it! I rather see the expressions of a character instead of their back. It makes rather sense that it was change and really does make the upcoming installments really look like fighting games. Hopefully these games can let those that still think Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game think twice.

Sakurai said:
Here's another example: in the previous games, you saw the back of Kirby's head when facing left. Now Kirby looks great from any angle.
This really made me laugh since Kirby has a round shape, which means he doesn't have any angles. Ah, I love math jokes. :laugh: /me gets shot

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I don't think it was simply a matter of mirroring textures lol. He had to reverse every standing animation. I don't think he has a reason to lie about it being tedious.

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Recolours that aren't based on anything in particular confirmed!
:,(

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that they still have color changes but i still hope each character has an alternate costume.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I've seen some people become mad because of this new feature...
Why!? This is only a good thing!
Do you think Mega Man should look like this when shooting to the left?
[snip]
This is so we can more easily see the expresiveness of the characters. And its not just a mirror effect, they would have to make for example: Greninjas tounge be on the other side of his head, which they have done.
Well, Megaman can turn either hand into a blaster, so of course he'd get the treatment. For characters that are obstinately lefthanded though, like Link, or like Samus, it would be odd for them to magically swap equipment by turning around.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'd imagine reorienting everybody's hit boxes for the flipped direction would be the real challenge. The game can't drastically change your expectations when the character turns around. This means that if Link holds his sword in the same hand either way, he needs two different attack animations, both reaching the same end distance and making the same curve so the attack functions the same either way.

'Tedious' is a huge understatement. I feel for the guys behind this!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'd imagine reorienting everybody's hit boxes for the flipped direction would be the real challenge. The game can't drastically change your expectations when the character turns around. This means that if Link holds his sword in the same hand either way, he needs two different attack animations, both reaching the same end distance and making the same curve so the attack functions the same either way.

'Tedious' is a huge understatement. I feel for the guys behind this!
This is just a thought, but what if this paved the way for back-tilts or back-smashes?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
For those worried about Link being ambidextrous or what have you, I've gone through every image we see of Link up to this point, and cannot find a single one of his front being visible while facing right. Anytime he faces right, you can still see his back and scabbard.

Top Bottom