• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 28th

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Better an AT than a stage hazard like a different character I know.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
He's a bit trolly in the way he said it, but I agree, its not truly being a "troll" by dropping hints at a character and disconfirming said character months and months later. When he disconfirms characters, he outright disconfirms them, and if its ambiguous as to what their role is, he comes out and explains it shortly afterwards. (Unlike a certain purple space dragon... :p)
Ridley was deconfirmed in the Smash Direct when Sakurai confirmed stage bosses. He didn't have to fully show him or have a full demonstration, he made it obvious but the fans are still in the 5 stages of grief. I want him playable but it looks like Sakurai just doesn't see Ridley's potential like most of us.

Someone screen cap for future reference.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Ah, Sakurai. Destroying dreams one character at a time. I think he tries really hard to do it too.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Pic of the day. We decided to make everyone an assist trophy except Mario and Luigi. The game will now be called Mario VS Luigi.

Please understand. :troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Wow Sakurai, way to be unique. Now we got TWO Samurai ATs.
Yeah, because Samurai Goroh TOTALLY uses pinwheel knife attacks.

Would it hurt to include one of them playable, and make one of the redundant F.E. members an AT instead? Or not, let's add Roy now, shall we?
Doesn't hurt to keep all of the current FE characters either, and only Lucina is a clone while the rest are unique.
And make on of them an AT? Why of course, everyone knows that if one of them becomes an assist trophy a new unique character materializes in it's place. That is EXACTLY how it works.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
My sympathy goes to Takamaru supporters. At least he gets to hang out with chill guys like skull kid and waluigi.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Well this will be the first Smash game probably, since Smash 64, to not have a new retro character added to the roster.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Just because he is an assist does not mean he was not likely. I think the fact he got a assist at all makes it seem like he has a chance.
Not really. Dillon was never a likely character and he's an Assist.

Takamaru was on so many people's rosters because they assumed he was in.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
Sakurai, give us an answer on Isaac already! Assist Trophy or playable character? You can't toy with my heart like this!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
A moment's silence for our fellow Smash fans. Today we suffered a deep loss.

(That said, as an Assist, he looks pretty epic. Although he's not playable, he looks pretty awesome there. I'm glad he did get some kind of representation in Smash, though it's not the one everyone's happy with.)

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Similar to Dillion, he has a very detailed model, so he might have been considered at one point.

Zeroknight9

Smash Cadet
of all the classic Nintendo characters out there, I really thought he had a chance, especially with his connection to Link, Pit, and Samus. This may be the final nail in the coffin for me. They didn't even go with his updated design from Samurai Warriors 3.

The announcement of the game having a story, the sakurai making another saying he changed his mind really upset me. But I continued to be hopeful regardless. But so far we've herd nothing about a possible Adventure mode, or ANY single player modes for that matter. And now the character I wanted most wont be getting in. Really the only thing thatd make me want this game again is some news on Adventure mode, or possibly even the inclusion of Bayonetta, though I doubt tha'll happen.

Brawl was such a wonderful game, it had plenty to offer in terms of characters, single player modes, multi player modes, and event modes. It had something that could appeal to anyone. SSB4 seems to focus on nothing but multi player, which is fine and all, but I prefer to play games co-operatively, not competitively.

I think I might just skip this and wait till SSB5. So far I've no reason to buy this game, not anymore.
Simply because they decided on different characters from your supposed 'perfect roster' does not mean this game will be bad. I really want ridley in (let's not change the subject to whether or not he's in), but even if he isn't in i'm still gonna get the game. Besides, from the SSB 3DS E3 trailer, we can see a new kind of mode reminiscent of classic mode or is classic mode but upgraded, where you can choose who you fight at some parts. And from what we have seen in smash run, there are non-playable enemies already in the game within smash run, i don't see why sakurai couldn't but them all in an adventure mode. Yes, he was going to have a story mode, but some jack ass decided to post all the cutscenes on the internet (they have been taken down, but that didn't change his mind). I'm guessing sakurai felt very proud of the cutscenes or that the story was much more solid than Subspace Emissary's was, and when someone posted his hard work online without his permission, out of the game, it must've been a huge punch to the nuts for him. Even still, i'm sincerely hoping that sakurai is master trolling us again and there will be a story mode. It would make sense the he would state that will be no story mode in order to deter people from trying to post more information about it without his permission. As much as i want story mode in SSB4, i'm still going to get it regardless, and with online functions being even better than brawl was, you can always play regular smash mode or smash run on 3DS with anyone, anywhere (so long as you're in a wifi hotspot of course).

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Moment I went to that page, I was really wondering how salty this thread will be. Fortunately, it's not as bad. But remember folks, Little Mac was an Assist Trophy as well, so he'll probably have a bigger shot in the next game along side other potential ones.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I think it would have been better for the Takamaru fans if Sakurai stated he was an Assist Trophy at the beginning of that caption...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think it would have been better for the Takamaru fans if Sakurai stated he was an Assist Trophy at the beginning of that caption...
It should've been obvious, really. Playable characters are never announced in regular Pic of the Day's.

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
Meh, I'm fine but I have a possible scenario:

Sakurai:The fans want Takamaru?
Sakurai:I'll bring him in
POTD Goes Up
Sakurai:There, he is an assist trophy
Fans:Noooo!
Sakurai: (laughs)

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, it's both a positive and negative for me.

On the plus side, he's FINALLY in the game (besides being a plain old sticker). Didn't Sakurai say something about All Star Mode having Assist Trophies doing something special sometime in the past?

On the minus side, he's not playable. I was really hoping that he would become a playable character. Ah well, looks like he'll be the Little Mac of Smash 5 (whenever that gets released).

Still pretty excited about Smash 4 though! It's just one of my 7 hopes were denied. Ah well, ~34 pics of the day to go before the Japanese release day of Smash 4. :)

Zeroknight9

Smash Cadet
Not to mention all current sword users have straight, european, inspired sword designs and fighting styles. Takamaru would be the first katana style sword user, and the first SSB character with a distinct eastern theme.
Actually, the weapon that he appears to be using in this assist trophy picture is a ninjaken. A ninjaken looks very similar to a katana except that it doesn't have the curve (the curve is actually really important for a katana). Unlike the katana, the ninjaken was actually invented in Hollywood as a sword prop made for a ninja movie, without having to pay for real katanas. Despite it's slightly embarrassing backstory, the ninjaken is quite a good sword, being light enough to easily handle yet heavy enough to do some damage, having a thick blocking side opposite of the edge, a sharp point that spreads out to allow the rest of the blade in for a stab, as well as a long enough blade for hacking and slashing. I don't know if Takamuri used an actual katana in his games, but his assist trophy is using a ninjaken. Another fictional character who everyone thinks uses katanas but actually uses ninjakens is Leonardo from the ninja turtles. Although commonly displayed as a ninjas weapon of choice in movies and media, there is no physical or historical proof that the ninjaken ever existed in feudal japan.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
*cue Nazo no Murasame-Jo's Game Over Theme*

Either way, his model looks good and he's got a better position than being a sticker like in Brawl. Well Sakurai, now I'll be looking forward to Smash 5 in the near future since you might "Little Macify" him, right?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I feel bad for the takamaru fans, he would've been a great fighter bring in his katana and all the other weapons people have mentioned but let's look on the bright side, at least he's in the game in some form and that still leaves him a chance to be included in SSB5

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Actually, the weapon that he appears to be using in this assist trophy picture is a ninjaken. A ninjaken looks very similar to a katana except that it doesn't have the curve (the curve is actually really important for a katana). Unlike the katana, the ninjaken was actually invented in Hollywood as a sword prop made for a ninja movie, without having to pay for real katanas. Despite it's slightly embarrassing backstory, the ninjaken is quite a good sword, being light enough to easily handle yet heavy enough to do some damage, having a thick blocking side opposite of the edge, a sharp point that spreads out to allow the rest of the blade in for a stab, as well as a long enough blade for hacking and slashing. I don't know if Takamuri used an actual katana in his games, but his assist trophy is using a ninjaken. Another fictional character who everyone thinks uses katanas but actually uses ninjakens is Leonardo from the ninja turtles. Although commonly displayed as a ninjas weapon of choice in movies and media, there is no physical or historical proof that the ninjaken ever existed in feudal japan.

that's the coolest story I will read on the internet today for sure

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
Multidirectional Pinwheel Knife Rook Attack!!
Part of me really hopes he actually shouts that in the final game.

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
I havent even played his game but I can already telll he wouldve been leagues better as a playable character than easy mode Marth or water ninja Mewtwo

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
First Ashley, then Samurai Goroh, Wonder Red as a trophy, then Dillon, then Chrom as a final smash, now Takamaru. Sakurai...WTF?
With the exception of Little Mac and Palutena, every single character I expected to be a newcomer in this game is now a NPC.
I have no problem with the newcomers so far, it's just that the obvious choices weren't so obvious for him after all.
At this rate Krystal will be confirmed as a sticker and King K. Rool as a background element.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I have the feeling he might become the "Little Mac" of Smash Bros. 5 and evolves into a full character. And hopefully all this Murasame Castle publicity gives someone the inspiration to make a reboot of the series and boosts Takamaru chances... for the next game.
Meanwhile, at Sakurai's...

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Wow. I don't support this guy, but I think those who did just got hit hard. For a character to be disconfirmed like that must hurt. Maybe Samurai will pull a Little Mac and he'll be playable in 5mash. Looks like he could have had a pretty original MoveSet, too...

MashPotato Samurai-King Of Trolls

Oh, and to the guy that said that playable characters are never revealed in PotDs: Were you absent for the Ike reveal or something?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
It should've been obvious, really. Playable characters are never announced in regular Pic of the Day's.
Well for newcomers yeah, but someone could have saw this on Miiverse and forgot about that (or never knew about that) reading the caption and getting all excited, only to be let down by that parentheses. It just could have been worded better, but Sakurai just wanted to troll.

BHawksFan01

Smash Rookie
NNID
BHawksFan01
At this point I'm really hoping for some content from the Ace Attorney series. I mean we already have Capcom in on everything and we've even got a Rayman trophy for some reason. At least remix Pursuit ~ Cornered or something.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
At this point I'm really hoping for some content from the Ace Attorney series. I mean we already have Capcom in on everything and we've even got a Rayman trophy for some reason. At least remix Pursuit ~ Cornered or something.
As a huge AA fan myself, I'm only expecting collectible trophies of characters. Maybe a miracle and have Wright as an assist trophy?

Top Bottom