• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 28th

PKbadass

Smash Rookie
This guy was my best guess at a newcomer. A shame he`s Just an assist trophy, Still cool he`s in the game, Though.

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
Ridley was deconfirmed in the Smash Direct when Sakurai confirmed stage bosses. He didn't have to fully show him or have a full demonstration, he made it obvious but the fans are still in the 5 stages of grief. I want him playable but it looks like Sakurai just doesn't see Ridley's potential like most of us.

Someone screen cap for future reference.
Toon Link was disconfirmed when he was running the Spirit Train in the first Sm4sh trailer... Oh wait...

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
And that's a problem because...?

I'm really starting to question what everyone's definition of "retro" is. Seeing a lot of... unorthodox opinions on the subject in this thread.
You see, to me Pac-Man isn't a retro. He still gets games, he still makes cameos, he's still widely (the most) known, and he's even got a freaking television show on right now. There's a vast difference between him and the Ice Climbers or Game and Watch. I might consider his classic games retro but as a character, It's not the same. Pac-Land the game isn't in the public eye but I can see Pac-Man on television.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I feel like Wonder Red, Dillon and Spatoon char are good for smash 5. Takamaru is a maybe for me.
The Wonderful 101 hardly sold anything, was developed by platinum (though since published by N, not entirely excluding) and has basically vanished into obscurity entirely other than being a decent game available for the Wii U.

I didn't particularly enjoy W101, but I did like the design. That said - I could see an AT at best for a gaggle of 101 coming through.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
of all the classic Nintendo characters out there, I really thought he had a chance, especially with his connection to Link, Pit, and Samus. This may be the final nail in the coffin for me. They didn't even go with his updated design from Samurai Warriors 3.

The announcement of the game having a story, the sakurai making another saying he changed his mind really upset me. But I continued to be hopeful regardless. But so far we've herd nothing about a possible Adventure mode, or ANY single player modes for that matter. And now the character I wanted most wont be getting in. Really the only thing thatd make me want this game again is some news on Adventure mode, or possibly even the inclusion of Bayonetta, though I doubt tha'll happen.

Brawl was such a wonderful game, it had plenty to offer in terms of characters, single player modes, multi player modes, and event modes. It had something that could appeal to anyone. SSB4 seems to focus on nothing but multi player, which is fine and all, but I prefer to play games co-operatively, not competitively.

I think I might just skip this and wait till SSB5. So far I've no reason to buy this game, not anymore.
Don't you think you are being a bit too... sensitive? I really think your jumping the gun considering we have heard nothing of modes on the Wii U version and as for Brawl, Subspace was crap, utter crap but most of the other stuff was decent

If one character influences your decision on a purpose, there is no real point in getting the game if your not getting the game to enjoy it but to look at that face of a character you wanted

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
The Wonderful 101 hardly sold anything, was developed by platinum (though since published by N, not entirely excluding) and has basically vanished into obscurity entirely other than being a decent game available for the Wii U.

I didn't particularly enjoy W101, but I did like the design. That said - I could see an AT at best for a gaggle of 101 coming through.
I suppose I agree with you. I played thr demo and it was so meh. My only reasoning is that trophy of him that was shown and the recent game. Mayne if we see the series grow.

jacobjeb

Smash Rookie
NNID
jacobjeb
I honestly have no knowledge of Takamaru but this was such Sakurai troll thing to do. At least he's an assist and not just a regular trophy for all you Takamaru fans

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
So many butthurt fans...

I don't really care about Takamaru, really. But from what I read, he probably could've been a great character.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
You see, to me Pac-Man isn't a retro. He still gets games, he still makes cameos, he's still widely (the most) known, and he's even got a freaking television show on right now. There's a vast difference between him and the Ice Climbers or Game and Watch. I might consider his classic games retro but as a character, It's not the same. Pac-Land the game isn't in the public eye but I can see Pac-Man on television.
Interesting... I'm actually thinking of starting a thread on the topic because there's a lot of ways to slice it. Personally, I don't see current use of a character invalidating retro status (to me, Mario is still retro), but that doesn't mean your view's wrong either. Maybe I'm the weird one.

EDIT: I actually went ahead and did that here.

Last edited:

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
as much as I love sword based characters, I think we're good on them right now, so I'm kind of happy Takamaru is an assist trophy only.

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
You say that like thousands haven't debunked that idea already.
Hey, I say it because thousands keep thinking that Ridley won't be playable. I want Ridley to be in, but do I have my doubts? I honestly can't say, does he have a good chance? I honestly cannot say. Mashpotato Samurai is a very sneaky ninja when it comes to his game.

There are characters that obviously won't get in, characters like Master Chief and <Insert Generic Call of Duty Character here> but as for characters that have a chance, it honestly cannot be said whether they will be in or not.

TL;DR version: We don't know if a character will be in. We don't know if a character won't be in.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hey, I say it because thousands keep thinking that Ridley won't be playable. I want Ridley to be in, but do I have my doubts? I honestly can't say, does he have a good chance? I honestly cannot say. Mashpotato Samurai is a very sneaky ninja when it comes to his game.

There are characters that obviously won't get in, characters like Master Chief and <Insert Generic Call of Duty Character here> but as for characters that have a chance, it honestly cannot be said whether they will be in or not.

TL;DR version: We don't know if a character will be in. We don't know if a character won't be in.
My problem with the Ridley "believers" is that they repeat the same, debunked, arguments indefinitely. Why even bother saying it again if you know it means nothing for Ridley?

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
My problem with the Ridley "believers" is that they repeat the same, debunked, arguments indefinitely. Why even bother saying it again if you know it means nothing for Ridley?
Nothing means anything for Ridley, nor does anything mean anything for other characters. It's all just speculation until they are either confirmed or disconfirmed. Of course, people can't be stopped in what they believe in, <Insert possibly offensive statement here regarding religion>.

But one thing is for sure, while I do want Ridley in the game, I still enjoy a good laugh from "Too Big" comments.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
as much as I love sword based characters, I think we're good on them right now, so I'm kind of happy Takamaru is an assist trophy only.
I feel like hed be like Robin. Magic/projectile specials with sword normal moves

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
These assist trophy reveals are starting to hurt; not that they're bad announcements, but that their de-confirmations of potentially interesting playable characters. That being said, I'll take these characters as Assist Trophies rather than just regular trophies, since they at least get to interact with the playable characters to some degree.

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
The first person style makes the whole thing sadder ._.

But well, at least he's in the game...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah. A something different like what other character that's already been released?
Tell me one character that technically wielded pinwheel blades (Sheik's needles are nothing like those big boys), legitimately became invisible (teleportation does NOT count), or even fought with a non-European swordsmanship (I wouldn't call Marth's fighting style Japanese the slightest). :rolleyes:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Interesting... I'm actually thinking of starting a thread on the topic because there's a lot of ways to slice it. Personally, I don't see current use of a character invalidating retro status (to me, Mario is still retro), but that doesn't mean your view's wrong either. Maybe I'm the weird one.

EDIT: I actually went ahead and did that here.
Just to go ahead and warn you right now, you probably won't get much traffic posting that in the debate hall. You should probably post it in the Smash 4 general discussion.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
And to think, just a day earlier at SDCC, Nintendo Treehouse was playing Mysterious Murasame Castle...

jigglover

Smash Lord
No retro characters (I follow SmashShadow's definition, always have, always will) is troublesome here. Sakurai is clearly focusing on new franchises with potential for his characters this time around, but can't he look to the past for some too? Sherrif or Bubbles? Mach Rider? (especially) Balloon Fighter!? Smash only has 2 retro characters rn (IC and G&W) and IC may not even be in due to technical limitations this time around. Bring us the retro Sakurai!

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Smash only has 2 retro characters rn (IC and G&W) and IC may not even be in due to technical limitations this time around. Bring us the retro Sakurai!
You forget Pit and R.O.B., which were Brawl's retro newcomer duo, much like Game and Watch and Ice Climbers in Melee.

Ever since that happened a second time in Brawl, I thought it would be a fad Sakurai would keep going, but at this rate it's hard to tell who's even returning from the past games (retro or not) or who's going to join for the first time. Still hoping for my spacies, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai gave them the boot, he seems all too comfortable with keeping popular veterans to himself, and it's annoying.

jigglover

Smash Lord
You forget Pit and R.O.B., which were Brawl's retro newcomer duo, much like Game and Watch and Ice Climbers in Melee.

Ever since that happened a second time in Brawl, I thought it would be a fad Sakurai would keep going, but at this rate it's hard to tell who's even returning from the past games (retro or not) or who's going to join for the first time. Still hoping for my spacies, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai gave them the boot, he seems all too comfortable with keeping popular veterans to himself, and it's annoying.
I did admittedly forget about R.O.B there, but Pit is no longer retro, even if he was during Brawl. But yeah, I was hoping for two retros this time around, too.

DemoPvP

Smash Rookie
Tell me one character that technically wielded pinwheel blades (Sheik's needles are nothing like those big boys), legitimately became invisible (teleportation does NOT count), or even fought with a non-European swordsmanship (I wouldn't call Marth's fighting style Japanese the slightest). :rolleyes:
Lol I guess, but honestly the pinwheel blades are just reskinned projectiles, invis would be legit stupid as you wouldn't know precisely where you were either, and I guess you have the non-European thing going for you.

Top Bottom