• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 4th

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Wow. Sakurai's really going out of his way to include as many characters from as many franchises as possible, even when they aren't going to be playable. It's downright impressive the amount of research and programming he's had to do for this newest smash game. I didn't even know this character existed, and yet he's an item or assist trophy that adds yet another nice spin in the craziness of battle.

I tip my hat to you sir. *Tip*

jigglover

Smash Lord
Oh for crying out loud, I can't believe how completely insensitive to other cultures everyone is now. Sakurai put a Japanese-only character in the game. Why is everyone outraged over this? Because he's not playable? I mean Ness was Japanese only in 64, Marth and Roy were Japanese only in Melee, Lucas was (and is) Japanese only in Brawl, and even more importantly the Helerin AT was and is Japanese only. Plus, the electroplankton stage was and is Japanese only.

I don't recall a huge disruption over these Japanese only characters and stages. Have the Smashboard forums just suffered a huge ethical decay? The Prince of Sable is a popular character in Japan. Just because you guys haven't heard of him, that doesn't mean people from other cultures haven't...

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I love it when fighting games include more obscure characters. This game celebrates Nintendo's history. Why only put in characters that everyone knows about. They're just Assist Trophies anyway. I don't get why people are upset.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I feel like I'm one of the few people who know who this is, didn't expect him to be in Smash in any form, so this is cool.
Ness was Japanese only in 64,
Wot, Earthbound came out in America before Smash 64 dude.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
For everyone who thinks Sakurai actually doesn't know his name, he's making a joke. He doesn't have an actual official name. He is just referred to as the Prince of the Sable Kingdom.
Sakurai was just making a joke about that.

Anyway, it seems like "Deconfirmation Mondays" are now a thing.
Just another reason to hate Mondays.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Welp, in the very least he's an Assist Trophy and he does what we wanted him to - attack with the frog and snake.

I'm glad to see even these niche character requests be somewhat shown in the game at all.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Guess I'll come pay my respects to @BluePikmin11. It must be nice to be known to support a character so strongly that the whole forums know about it. :p

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I could care less about sable n bluepikmin... Don't get me wrong, prince looks like a character but I'm still buying the game regardless. I got my eyes on pacman n lucario

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The more unique the assist trophies shown, the more I frown upon the over representation of the popular franchises.

I knew little about this guy, but the fact he can turn into a frog and a snake seems SO unique.

I wish we had gotten official trophy art for Takamaru. :(

Uffe

Smash Hero
Aw man! I thought we had a new character reveal today. I don't care if it's a Monday, anything is possible. :( Well, unless you're this guy who isn't playable. Many sad faces.

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
Reminds me a little of dragon ball and golden sun

Tabuhli

Smash Rookie
Wait a minute. The Prince of Sable was developed by Inteligent Systems, who also developed the Paper Mario games. This might increase the chances for another Paper Mario stage for the Wii U.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, at least he's IN this game.

And seriously, people? There's Takamaru, Alice, & Dillon, and there's this guy? Some fans really want a nameless heroic mime with a sword from a game many people have never even heard of, let alone played? Non, this I say is scraping at the bottom of the barrel/can out of desperation.

Besides, we already have a nameless, silent swordsman AND a prince.
Mind giving me some evidence of Alice being an AT?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Wait a minute. The Prince of Sable was developed by Inteligent Systems, who also developed the Paper Mario games. This might increase the chances for another Paper Mario stage for the Wii U.
I don't think so. Intelligent Systems is a 2nd(? Maybe first) party company, so having some material in the game isn't an indication of anything. Plus, TTYD is in the Paper Mario stage on the 3DS, so it's doubtful that there will be two.

A stage based solely off Super Paper Mario on the Wii U is one thing I wouldn't object to though lol.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Maybe with the Hyrule Warriors direct and his connection to Link's Awakening, we'll see Prince Sable as a playable character in HW. He looks pretty cool for an AT.

Andromear

Smash Cadet
It seems silly to introduce a character that you don't know the name of. Also shouldn't characters come from games that are more well know?

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
It seems silly to introduce a character that you don't know the name of. Also shouldn't characters come from games that are more well know?
i think the idea is to get gamers interested in unfamiliar territory like for earthbound or Mother 3 the idea of bringing unique but well known in certain areas is what sakurai is doing for these characters

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Smash 4 is having the assist trophies that suppose to be in Brawl years ago, that include Prince Sable and Takamaru.

Even is sad seeing Prince Sable go, is better be Assist Trophies than nothing or a sticker.

Soo who next Assist trophies....

Sukapon?
Mike Johns?
Captain Rainbow?
Masked Man?
A gundam not from xenoblade?
That yellow Giant????
A T-rex from fossil fighters?
The quendam?

More obscure assist trophies are best Assist trophies.(PLZ, no AT Isaac.)

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Smash 4 is having the assist trophies that suppose to be in Brawl years ago, that include Prince Sable and Takamaru.

Even is sad seeing Prince Sable go, is better be Assist Trophies than nothing or a sticker.

Soo who next Assist trophies....

Sukapon?
Mike Johns?
Captain Rainbow?
Masked Man?
A gundam not from xenoblade?
That yellow Giant????
A T-rex from fossil fighters?
The quendam?

More obscure assist trophies are best Assist trophies.(PLZ, no AT Isaac.)
Whos Masked man?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Personally, I think this means Mach rider and Duck Hunt Dog will appear in some way.

It seems he recognizes very old Japan only games. Lip, Ayumi, and Donbe + Hikari all have a shot as at least ATs now!

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
@BluePikmin11 Don't be sad! Just imagine the rush you'll get when the Sable Prince rushes to your side to assist you in your time of need!

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, I've heard of him. He was in a Japan Only GBC game if I remember correctly. It's a good game, so I do hope it comes to VC like The Mysterious Murasame Castle. Kinda reminded me of Link's Awakening when talking about the overview (doesn't it use Sable's game engine or is it the other way around?).

I feel sorry for those who supported his inclusion as a playable character. It's KINDA similar to the Takamaru incident last week in the sense that your hoped character becomes an AT. At least he's in the game some way, right? It's a good start for the future of the character. :)

Maybe he'll be like Little Mac in the next installment. It would be interesting how he would work.

Edited: Oh, and having some The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls music would be nice as well.

Edited again: I'm personally glad that he made it into the game. The more Nintendo franchises represented, the better. :)

Last edited:

Andromear

Smash Cadet
i think the idea is to get gamers interested in unfamiliar territory like for earthbound or Mother 3 the idea of bringing unique but well known in certain areas is what sakurai is doing for these characters

You are correct, but Sakurai could at least remember what the characters names. How would things have been if Sakurai had not know Marth's name?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
You are correct, but Sakurai could at least remember what the characters names. How would things have been if Sakurai had not know Marth's name?
I don't know if you know this, but the Prince of Sable doesn't have an official name. You choose his name when you start the game (like you do for Link in the Zelda games). Unlike Link, the Prince doesn't have a specific name. It's not mentioned in the instruction booklet. It's not mentioned in the media. It's not even on the back of the game's box.

Sakurai's "not remembering his name" schpiel is basically a tongue in cheek joke about this fact.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Dunno why it isnt on Miiverse but if you read sakurais translated twitter it confirms him as being an assist trophy.
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai
Translated from Babelfish

• もちろん、アシストフィギュアですよー(念のため) (Japanese)
  • It is, of course, assisted figure-(just because) (English)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, there goes another one.. Disconfirmation Monday strikes again.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
i don't understand why this character has to be in smash... we don't even know his name. He looks dumb anyways. Hopefully a 3DS only
...yah can hate the guy if yah want, don't bash other player's wants, when yah don't even know who he is. plez :p.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Must be part of the Tomodachi Life stage. If you look at the ground he's standing on, it looks just like the flooring that Yoshi is on in the Pic of the day from 7/23. I wonder if the rooms will be randomized or if it's the same set up every time.

Andromear

Smash Cadet
I don't know if you know this, but the Prince of Sable doesn't have an official name. You choose his name when you start the game (like you do for Link in the Zelda games). Unlike Link, the Prince doesn't have a specific name. It's not mentioned in the instruction booklet. It's not mentioned in the media. It's not even on the back of the game's box.

Sakurai's "not remembering his name" schpiel is basically a tongue in cheek joke about this fact.
Oh ok no one told me that. It seem so obvious now.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The model for this looks awesome for the 3DS, especially for an Assist Trophy.

Top Bottom