• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 19th

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Personally I'm all for this - once I got past the initial 'OMG SEXYSM!' thought I'm okay with it, but I'll admit that when I first saw Zero Suit Samas as a separate fighter I thought 'Now here's a character my cousin will main.', since he mains Samas just for the Zero Laser and transformation. Now he's gonna main ZSS in that outfit.

PK-iNDiGO

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
3735-2284-1902
this is a bit sad imo, i dont think this is nessisary to gameplay one bit. build hype on a game that we all know probably wont make the competitive cut. clearly he knows this too. got us all talking about smash 4 didnt it? sorry she looks great but really folks, 64 and melee didnt go down in history for sexy alt skins.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
It could have been a woman fighting for her vision for a strong female character's representation in light of her bosses skepticism. It could have been a determined designer purposefully appropriating a kick-*** woman's sexuality (if you choose to view the costume as overtly sexual) because while women are not limited to being sexual objects they certainly have a right to be as sexy as they want and should never have to choose between being admired/respected/feared and being feminine/sexual/comfortable.
This smasher gets it. Please, read this at least just this part.

Seriously, read this post and remember it. You should be able to recite it from memory. Recite it every time you watch TV, every time you read a book, every time you play another video game, every time you browse the net, every time you think about why women dress the way they do, every time you go out into the real world and see girls and women dressed in whatever way they choose to dress, every time you drink, even if you're taking a crap, recite this post from memory.

Yo, Smash is awesome, and by extension so is Sakurai and Nintendo's series. How else would we think and talk about topics like this? Just look at this entire thread!

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
this is a bit sad imo, i dont think this is nessisary to gameplay one bit. build hype on a game that we all know probably wont make the competitive cut. clearly he knows this too. got us all talking about smash 4 didnt it? sorry she looks great but really folks, 64 and melee didnt go down in history for sexy alt skins.
It isn't necessary but having alts is a nice extra, plus what else could they do for zamus, this is something directly taken from her games

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
ATTENTION EVERYBODY
I FOUND A LEGIT SHIRTLESS CAPTAIN FALCON
TOTALLY NOT FAKE AT ALL
COMPLETELY SHIRTLESS
COMPLETELY LEGIT

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Am I the only one that doesn't see anything wrong with this ._. ? I know the whole "kids game" aspect, but honestly it doesn't really seem to disrupt it from being a "kids game" to me.

FumiQyn

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one that doesn't see anything wrong with this ._. ? I know the whole "kids game" aspect, but honestly it doesn't really seem to disrupt it from being a "kids game" to me.
nah people are just dumb. i feel like the people who make such a fuss about this stuff never go to the swimming pool/ beach. plenty of shirtless men and women there.

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
Yes, this outfit is canon. But it was a mistake back then and it's still a mistake now.

Samus is a fictional character who has no agency. Her appearance, persona, and actions are entirely determined by game designers. Most of those designers happen to be male, and they were likely taking advantage of the sex appeal inherent in skimpy costumes to engage a specific audience. Sure, Sakurai claims the person who made this particular costume was female, but Sakurai was still her boss and ultimately told her to design it. The original outfits from earlier Metroid games were drawn by (probably male) designers too.

They created a unique, strong bounty hunter character who also happened to be female in the original Metroid games. They used her gender to turn the genre on its head, as most gamers at the time were young males accustomed to playing as generic male soldiers. The twist ending of the game was there to show that it doesn't matter who is behind the suit, it doesn't change their value or abilities. Samus was depicted in a bikini because they were working with very few pixels on the NES and that was the only surefire way to say "this character is female."

Since Samus's gender was established, modern Metroid games have made the mistake of using improved graphics and sex appeal as a "reward" for beating a game, which entirely misses the point of the original's twist ending. Instead of using her gender to show that among space bounty hunters, gender probably doesn't matter that much, they focus on it as the primary aspect of her identity.

I have no problem with real women wearing clothes like that, but Samus was created and dressed by male designers. Real people can choose to wear a bikini to go jogging, or to just show off their bodies if they want to. Whatever personality traits we project onto Samus, she did not decide to leave the house one morning with the express purpose of showing off her midriff to metroids. At least the zero suit might protect her bare skin from hostile alien environments.

If you still don't think that Samus's character design is demeaning and sexist, think about how other characters in body armor are treated in video games. In the Halo universe, the mystery was always about what Master Chief's face looked like. The designers teased gamers by showing him remove his helmet for a split second at the end of Halo 4 if you beat the game on legendary, a reward reminiscent of Metroid. But instead of removing all of his armor at once and seductively moving the camera up his entire body, stopping to admire his chest and butt, it went straight to his face. In Metroid Prime 2, players were rewarded with Samus in the zero suit as the camera slowly moved up her body, only coming to her face at the very end for a few seconds.

There is a huge disconnect between how females and males in similar roles are depicted in video games across all genres, and if we can't even recognize sexism in its more egregious form, how are we ever going to expand our community to include more women?
Dude, chill out. It's just a fictional, animated character wearing an alternate and completely optional out fit.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Can we get a direct, come on I'm dying here with 16 pic of the days left! We still have 10-11 unconfirmed smash veterans!

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You're aware that there ARE people who like alternate outfits, right?
Also, I think these games will be just fine competitive. Maybe not to Melee levels, but thats more because everyone's used to Melee and once you get used to something, it becomes less likely to change to something even a little different.

Regardless, even members of the Competitive Scene seem to like Alternate Costumes. If they didn't, why would the Project M team work so hard to include alternate costumes for characters considering that PM is meant to be a more Competitive Melee-esque version of Brawl?

Fact remains though, sometimes things can be enjoyed without having an effect on gameplay. For instance, most people have a favorite palette swap in Smash Bros. and other fighting games for their preferred characters, this is just an expansion on this and, honestly, something people really have been asking for since Brawl, especially after Wario was shown to have an alt costume.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
BUT, I'm done now. I went way too into this, and that's not what the site is for.
When I saw your post I was thinking "wtf i didn't post that" because I thought you were me! XD

I'm usually a lot more calm but,
YOU ARE AN IGNORANT *******, SO **** OFF
It's been proven that being gay is not a choice, you are clearly talking out of you're ***
1. stop falling for bait
2. according to freud, it's pretty much not a choice.

Damn. Samus is hot.
yeah, I don't care what you're wearing, it's gotta be boiling in brinstar!

At least you didn't show the scene after this one, or D1 will BAN you from tournaments. BANNED
#bannedlikemetaknight.

"Pic of the day. Looking at the number of days we have left for development, it would be an impossible task to create this…" You're just removing clothes, Sakurai.

Oh Sakurai.
Texture swaps take a while. Easy as hell, but takes a while.

I'm going to figure out what hard-counters ZSS and actively popularize it just so I don't see you nerds constantly salivate when you should be playing the damn game
canon would go on to become the number 1 top player of the 3DS version, until one fateful day where people discovered a powerful flaw to use against Canon: using someone other then ZSS! :O

D

Deleted member

Wowzerz.

Still waiting for the Zero Suit Fox alt costume though.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
He asked her to create that outfit. She was just doing her job, and may very well have been disgusted by it.
Speaking for others? Lmao.

What the hell would you know? If she would be disgusted like you claim she could've just passed on it. She had no reason to do it. Not only that but this was already used ages ago in official Metroid games, just stop.

RadiantRebel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Exline2009
It isn't like she is revealing too much. She's just wearing athletic clothing which is not a crime and fits her personality because she is suppose to be a fit bounty hunter.

FumiQyn

Banned via Warnings
Yes, this outfit is canon. But it was a mistake back then and it's still a mistake now.

Samus is a fictional character who has no agency. Her appearance, persona, and actions are entirely determined by game designers. Most of those designers happen to be male, and they were likely taking advantage of the sex appeal inherent in skimpy costumes to engage a specific audience. Sure, Sakurai claims the person who made this particular costume was female, but Sakurai was still her boss and ultimately told her to design it. The original outfits from earlier Metroid games were drawn by (probably male) designers too.

They created a unique, strong bounty hunter character who also happened to be female in the original Metroid games. They used her gender to turn the genre on its head, as most gamers at the time were young males accustomed to playing as generic male soldiers. The twist ending of the game was there to show that it doesn't matter who is behind the suit, it doesn't change their value or abilities. Samus was depicted in a bikini because they were working with very few pixels on the NES and that was the only surefire way to say "this character is female."

Since Samus's gender was established, modern Metroid games have made the mistake of using improved graphics and sex appeal as a "reward" for beating a game, which entirely misses the point of the original's twist ending. Instead of using her gender to show that among space bounty hunters, gender probably doesn't matter that much, they focus on it as the primary aspect of her identity.

I have no problem with real women wearing clothes like that, but Samus was created and dressed by male designers. Real people can choose to wear a bikini to go jogging, or to just show off their bodies if they want to. Whatever personality traits we project onto Samus, she did not decide to leave the house one morning with the express purpose of showing off her midriff to metroids. At least the zero suit might protect her bare skin from hostile alien environments.

If you still don't think that Samus's character design is demeaning and sexist, think about how other characters in body armor are treated in video games. In the Halo universe, the mystery was always about what Master Chief's face looked like. The designers teased gamers by showing him remove his helmet for a split second at the end of Halo 4 if you beat the game on legendary, a reward reminiscent of Metroid. But instead of removing all of his armor at once and seductively moving the camera up his entire body, stopping to admire his chest and butt, it went straight to his face. In Metroid Prime 2, players were rewarded with Samus in the zero suit as the camera slowly moved up her body, only coming to her face at the very end for a few seconds.

There is a huge disconnect between how females and males in similar roles are depicted in video games across all genres, and if we can't even recognize sexism in its more egregious form, how are we ever going to expand our community to include more women?
i agree but i dont think its a problem now. people just over react for no reason. i have spoken to older relatives about the original metroid game. they were born in the 70's and grew up as 80's kids. back then it was common to have rock bands with male characters with longer hair. im talking about this because at the end of the first metroid (nes) samus is in some type of bra and underwear. when i talked to my relatives about the game they told me they were shocked to find out the main character was a woman. back then they chose to put samus in a bra and underwear to confirm that the main character IS female because working with 8-bit pixels there is less detail to work with, AND if they put samus in her power suit without her helmet someone at that day and age might mistake samus for a long haired man. even when i was a kid (back in the 90's) some other kids mistaked samus for a man and zero(megaman x) for a women. so i feel that's why samus is in her bra and underwear at the end. otherwise you have fans arguing over what sex a character is like sheik for example.

furthermore i think its very unrealistic how people expect samus to be fully clothed while in the power suit. even in reality when people go diving they wear spandex or swimwear. when samus takes off her armor at the end it IS fan service but i honestly don't know what else she would be wearing underneath her armor other than spandex or underwear.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ugh...
Not everyone on Tumblr is a radical feminists or a moron
I know. It was just during that time. They were saying stuff like " omg worst thing ever" and "burn Sakurai" and the like.

I have some friends there, and they're nice people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom