• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Tournament-Legal Stages? (Counterpick OR Standard)

Ninpalk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninpalk
3DS FC
2148-8192-8931
(Sorry if this is already a topic, but I didn't see it...so...)
These are the stages we are safe to say are legal:
  • All Omega Stages (DUH)
  • Battlefield (Just platforms)
  • Big Battlefield (Just platforms, kinda big tho, should be decent.)
  • Final Destination (DO I EVEN NEED TO SAY ANYTHING)
  • Smashville (Starter in Brawl)
  • Delfino Plaza (Counterpick in Brawl)
  • Halberd (Counterpick in Brawl
  • Lylat Cruise (Common in Brawl)
  • Town and City (Like Smashville)
  • Duck Hunt (Ducks don't drop items when items are off)
Now for stages that need a little reviewing, or I'm just not sure about because of slight issues:
  • Pokemon Stadium 2 (controversy as a counterpick)
  • Pilotwings (next three I haven't played on much, I can't judge, but look legal somewhat, no big stage hazards)
  • Wuhu Island (^)
  • Skyloft (^)
  • Kongo Jungle 64 (Depends if it is closer to melee or 64)
Thoughts? The game has JUST been released, so this is bound to be not the most accurate legal stage list.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
I like mario circuit. There are no hazards, just walls that cut off one blast zone for like 15 seconds. It's steady and interesting.

Big battlefield is too big imo.

wuhu and pilot wings and kongo are fine.

there's one or ttwo i think are good im forgetting atm

T0MMY

Smash Master
I don't think "legal" is very good to focus on as a better solution would be an honest comparison to competitive values and somehow grading the stages on the casual => competitive scale so as to let TO's tailor a list for their attendees.

just a quick note on the list in the OP:
Halberd has environmental damage, which is contrary to player vs player competition (stages cannot be awarded a win/advance in brackets when KO'ing a player). It is thus considered better suited for casual play unless on Omega form.

All "Big" stages come with a warning for use since they are intended for the 8-player mode. TO's are usually very quick to not allow large stages for competition due to time constraints.
Circle camping and other stalling tactics are very much enhanced on big stages which also seems to be the case with Big Battlefield, so it's probably not going to be included on standard stage lists.

Looking at the Casual => Competitive scale for a stage strike list we'd have:

Standard Starters:
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville

Extended:
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Town and City
  • Duck Hunt

Extended 2:
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Delphino
  • Castle Siege
  • Wuhu Island
  • Pilot Wings
But with the above list TO's can pick and choose what can be allowed or just go with a kind of set they want to use "just standard" or "Extended 1" or "Extended 2". Players can agree to any non-banned stage or strike from the provided list or even be given an option to random from the provided stages after they are toggled "on".
Sorry if I don't have some stages listed but not doing a complete review on this just wanted to post a little response with some info But this serves as a general idea of how a TO can find a nice middle-ground for the broad spectrum of players coming to tournaments (for goodness sake if there's a lot of casuals please offer a For Fun type of event with all the stages, items, and customization they want and keep it separate from the Competitive players).

Last edited:

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
I like mario circuit. There are no hazards, just walls that cut off one blast zone for like 15 seconds. It's steady and interesting.

Big battlefield is too big imo.

wuhu and pilot wings and kongo are fine.

there's one or ttwo i think are good im forgetting atm
Well MK has the kart hazards that get pretty annoying, plus the walls while the stage is moving tend to mess with KOs from what Ive seen.
Not saying wether that justifies banning it, just bringing it to attention/

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
I will say I was happy when I saw duck hunt had no stage hazards or big gimmick, just cause I love the style of it and really wanted to see it in tournaments.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
Oh also I was curious to see what you guys thought of recreating legal stages through the stage builder, or if you think there's any chance of that. When we have the ability to share stages maybe we could have some standard layouts accepted in tournaments or something. Thoughts?

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
There's a massive stage discussion topic in the sticky section already.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
you guys should see smashladder.com and click on ranking for smash 4. there starters and counterpick are already set.

But I don't like how they don't have kongo jungle 64 and duck hunt stage as a counterpick stage.

Killjoy_U

Smash Rookie
Wuhu has a Ness instant KO glitch.
Banned. Probably no question, right?
Otherwise, I agree with pretty much everything.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
I don't think any of the stages where you can get hit by the wall as its moving should be legal. Ive exploited it too many times.
Also I do think Dunk Hunt belongs as a counterpick. Ive seen the ducks screw up a lot of projectiles and the blastzones are a little weird and seem to lend advantages to certain characters. Just my opinion.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Wuhu has a Ness instant KO glitch.
Banned. Probably no question, right?
Otherwise, I agree with pretty much everything.
You mean that glitch that you can only perform on certain characters, at a certain position, at a certain time, with only one character, with only one move and only with luck?

Extended 2:
  • Pilot Wings

Last edited:

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
You mean that glitch that you can only perform on certain characters, at a certain position, at a certain time, with only one character, with only one move and only with luck?
It's actually not too hard to pull off, I've used it a couple times, you just need to know the timing. Especially if 2 stock becomes the standard, that can become a big problem. Plus if the boat just hits you it spikes you into an instant KO anyway. It's not fit for tournaments.
Also stop talking condescending like that, it's unnecessary and demeaning. Just be like "I think the scenario to pull that of is much to specific to ban the stage over it" instead of acting like their stupid for thier opinion and haven't thought it through.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Big Battlefield is much too big for it to be legal in singles. Expect it in doubles, though.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's actually not too hard to pull off, I've used it a couple times, you just need to know the timing. Especially if 2 stock becomes the standard, that can become a big problem. Plus if the boat just hits you it spikes you into an instant KO anyway. It's not fit for tournaments.
Also stop talking condescending like that, it's unnecessary and demeaning. Just be like "I think the scenario to pull that of is much to specific to ban the stage over it" instead of acting like their stupid for thier opinion and haven't thought it through.
Sorry, but that glitch is a shenanigan that will only work on a totally clueless player. It can only happen at one time in one position in two match-ups. If the defending Wario or Villager is aware of the mechanic at all, it just won't happen in a serious match. There's just no even vague set-up to force it; you're totally relying on the opponent to walk right into a super specific thing. It's kinda a miracle it was even discovered in the first place given how obscure it is.

It's not about being demeaning, but banning a stage is a huge step especially when it's such a generally good stage as Wuhu Island. There's a large base of support for banning this stage on the basis of a glitch that has no real relevance whatsoever at a competitive level, and it's very concerning. I legitimately don't see how someone who has thought it through and has full knowledge of the mechanics of this glitch could support banning the stage on the basis of the glitch; I find it charitable to assume those who support a ban for that reason are simply misinformed. There is no intention to be insulting to people like you, but seriously, the position for a ban on that particular basis is extremely meritless and it's something important to make clear.

I also don't understand why this is its own thread versus our bigger stage discussion thread, to echo others.

NNID
Budget_Player
I don't think "legal" is very good to focus on as a better solution would be an honest comparison to competitive values and somehow grading the stages on the casual => competitive scale so as to let TO's tailor a list for their attendees.

just a quick note on the list in the OP:

Halberd has environmental damage, which is contrary to player vs player competition (stages cannot be awarded a win/advance in brackets when KO'ing a player). It is thus considered better suited for casual play unless on Omega form.
This is and always has been a really bad argument to ban stages. Smash is inherently player vs. player vs. stage in a way that other fighters generally are not (although anyone claiming that the stage doesn't play a role in Street Fighter obviously hasn't gotten themselves stuck in a corner against T.Hawk; it's just that every stage is the same). No matter what the stage, the layout, platforms, and transformations have a huge role to play. Hell, even in the most simple example, Omega Battlefield is a lot better against Villager than Omega Duck Hunt due to how the stage is laid out. This means, quite simply, stage knowledge is not something we can ignore when testing a player's skills.

The player who won their match because they understood how the hazards on Halbred work and was able to trap their opponent into getting hit by them (and let's be honest - if you get hit by them in an unforced situation, then you deserve to die) can hardly be called less legitimate than the player who won their match because they understood how landing worked and was able to trap their opponent into eating a PK Thunder 2 at 50%.

Obviously, an argument can be made when it comes to eliminating the player vs. player aspect - stages like Rumble Falls, for example, turn the entire match into an exercise in "who can survive the stage" and make the fighting aspect highly problematic. But Halberd? Halberd doesn't even come close. It's far closer to the realm of Skyloft and Delfino - stages where the hazards are known, announce themselves well in advance, and should be easily avoidable by good players. And yes, I'm aware of the claw. It might force you out of a positive position. So can the smashville platform - "I had that Little Mac on the ropes, offstage, no jump, he's dead... Oh, wait, no, he's coming back on the platform".

All "Big" stages come with a warning for use since they are intended for the 8-player mode. TO's are usually very quick to not allow large stages for competition due to time constraints.
Circle camping and other stalling tactics are very much enhanced on big stages which also seems to be the case with Big Battlefield, so it's probably not going to be included on standard stage lists.
This I agree with. Big Battlefield isn't just big, it has a platform layout that makes faster characters very hard to catch. I have very little doubt that a good Pikachu would be nigh-uncatchable on that stage.

Standard Starters:
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
Please don't do this. Reducing the starter list to 3 and making it these specific stages basically ensures a certain type of character gets two counterpicks per round. At that point, you might as well not strike, and just pick random between the three, because what's the point of striking in the first place? To ensure that the first match is fought in even ground, that nobody gets their best stages for free. And like this... Well, I'm pretty sure that after banning, SV is not just good, it's the go-to counterpick for, say, Little Mac (the opponent having banned FD). Meanwhile, it's pretty lousy for someone like ZSS who prefers vertical combat and loves platforms and stage changes. The general rule should be: the more starters and the more variance, the better - striking the full list is honestly the best way to go if time constraints aren't an issue.

(Also, Pilotwings, as others have pointed out: really bad idea).

(for goodness sake if there's a lot of casuals please offer a For Fun type of event with all the stages, items, and customization they want and keep it separate from the Competitive players).
CUSTOMIZATION IS NOT CASUAL WHARGLBARGL

Oh yeah, and re: Wuhu glitch: this is dumb. Really, really dumb. It's matchup-specific (only works in Ness vs. Villager/Wario), it's incredibly spacing-specific (you have to bait them into a very specific spot on the stage), it's during a segment where you can easily camp a fortified position for the entire duration (get under the wall at the back of the boat and you're at a huge defensive advantage) , and it's gone after like 20 seconds. That's not a reason to ban a stage. It would maybe qualify if the boat segment was all there was to the stage. As is, I don't even know if I'd ban Wuhu in either of those matchups if I was the victim - if I did, it'd be because Ness is great on the rest of the stage, not this glitch. Otherwise, I'd ignore it, because it's so easy to avoid that the people you're hitting it with need to step their game up. They're bad. Really, really bad.

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
you guys should see smashladder.com and click on ranking for smash 4. there starters and counterpick are already set.

But I don't like how they don't have kongo jungle 64 and duck hunt stage as a counterpick stage.
Duck Hunt has the tree for camping and ducks that get in the way of projectiles and kongo jungle 64 has somewhat the same problem with the barrel and platform stalling so they are good to go as counterpicks. God I hate saying counterpicks it is just too silly a concept.

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
In MY opinion here are the legal stages:

Neutral/Starter:
Battlefield
Final Destination (and all omega stages)
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Duck Hunt
Miiverse (when it is released)

Counter Pick:
Halberd
Kongo Jungle 64
Castle Siege
Skyloft
Defino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Skyworld
Pilotwings
Wuhu Island (Banned if Ness is used)

One other thing is that I think it's too early to really what stages are banned or not. The game is still new and should be played around with in order to truly pick out what stages are legal.

NNID
Budget_Player
dude, the rob player was crap. I can't believe that rob coudn't play without his camp game, I mean what the heck would he do against a good reflector character?
Yeah, he was crap. ROB could easily fight off Charizard on that stage. But could Fox? Falco? Ness? Shiek? Zero Suit Samus? Diddy? Anyone without a huge upB and multiple jumps?

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
(Sorry if this is already a topic, but I didn't see it...so...)
These are the stages we are safe to say are legal:
  • All Omega Stages (DUH)
  • Battlefield (Just platforms)
  • Big Battlefield (Just platforms, kinda big tho, should be decent.)
  • Final Destination (DO I EVEN NEED TO SAY ANYTHING)
  • Smashville (Starter in Brawl)
  • Delfino Plaza (Counterpick in Brawl)
  • Halberd (Counterpick in Brawl
  • Lylat Cruise (Common in Brawl)
  • Town and City (Like Smashville)
  • Duck Hunt (Ducks don't drop items when items are off)
Now for stages that need a little reviewing, or I'm just not sure about because of slight issues:
  • Pokemon Stadium 2 (controversy as a counterpick)
  • Pilotwings (next three I haven't played on much, I can't judge, but look legal somewhat, no big stage hazards)
  • Wuhu Island (^)
  • Skyloft (^)
  • Kongo Jungle 64 (Depends if it is closer to melee or 64)
Thoughts? The game has JUST been released, so this is bound to be not the most accurate legal stage list.
Definitiely NO big battlefield. You need a good 250% to die from center stage, any match i've played there has been timed out, way too much space to run away and camp. Absolutely terrible for 1v1.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
What.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Why in the world would you ever want Skyworld to be legal? At first I thought you meant Skyloft but made a typo, but you said Skyloft earlier in your post, so you actually meant Skyworld. I can't think of any reason why Skyworld should be legal, it's such an awful stage.

Last edited:

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
@ Budget Player Cadet_ Budget Player Cadet_
The reason I 1/2 banned Wuhu Island (sure the glitch is easily avoidable) is glitches like that can really break the game balance, and a highly skilled player would be able to trick someone into going to that area (maybe if they jab lock them there or maybe the Ness player adds a lot of projectile pressure and forces them there). And yeah the glitch is SUPER EASY to just avoid, which is why I just added to counter pick anyways. I meant the whole thing as a "maybe" type of thing.

@ TheHypnotoad TheHypnotoad
Yeah never mind about Skyworld.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
@ Budget Player Cadet_ Budget Player Cadet_
The reason I 1/2 banned Wuhu Island (sure the glitch is easily avoidable) is glitches like that can really break the game balance, and a highly skilled player would be able to trick someone into going to that area (maybe if they jab lock them there or maybe the Ness player adds a lot of projectile pressure and forces them there).
Yeah, this isn't going to happen. Under the roof on the left side of the boat is an insanely strong defensive position - the kind we've banned stages for in the past. Worried about the glitch? Go there. Then if the opponent wants to force you, they have fight their way through a really disadvantageous position. Ness throwing projectiles at you? Block. Just wait until the stage changes. This glitch does not effect game balance. Any Ness who would counterpick you to Wuhu Island for the sake of this glitch is making a huge mistake and throwing away their counterpick on a stage which is just not very good for Ness.

And I realize that you agree that this probably won't happen very often, but I really feel the need to expound on this until people get this simple point: The boat glitch does not matter. It's so easy to avoid that it realistically should never happen in a tournament set. If you're good enough to force or trick your opponent into getting hit by that, chances are that you are so much better than your opponent that they'd lose to you on any stage.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Any Ness who would counterpick you to Wuhu Island for the sake of this glitch is making a huge mistake and throwing away their counterpick on a stage which is just not very good for Ness.
I've been meaning to ask about this and you provided the perfect excuse. Boat glitch aside, what are Ness's advantages/disadvantages on Wuhu Island? It's clear you think he's at a relative disadvantage, but why? And aside from the boat glitch, is there anything else on the stage that he can play to his advantage?

NNID
Budget_Player
I've been meaning to ask about this and you provided the perfect excuse. Boat glitch aside, what are Ness's advantages/disadvantages on Wuhu Island? It's clear you think he's at a relative disadvantage, but why? And aside from the boat glitch, is there anything else on the stage that he can play to his advantage?
I feel like his fair game suffers somewhat on the one traveling variant that slopes down, but the big one really is that almost all of his kill moves are horizontal, and Wuhu is huge horizontally. It's not awful for him by any means, but he'd usually be better off on, say, Smashville.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I feel like his fair game suffers somewhat on the one traveling variant that slopes down, but the big one really is that almost all of his kill moves are horizontal, and Wuhu is huge horizontally. It's not awful for him by any means, but he'd usually be better off on, say, Smashville.
I really want more stages to be competitive. Not crappy stages, but maybe wuhu island could be a good stage, I don't know if the zelda stage is good, and sure the donkey kong in one on one should be banned, but maybe zelda stage and wuhu island are good.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I really want more stages to be competitive. Not crappy stages, but maybe wuhu island could be a good stage, I don't know if the zelda stage is good, and sure the donkey kong in one on one should be banned, but maybe zelda stage and wuhu island are good.
You'll have to be a bit more specific than "Zelda stage" and "Donkey Kong stage" since there are several stages that could qualify for each. (Skyloft, Bridge of Eldin, or Temple for Zelda and Jungle Hijinxs or Kongo Jungle 64 for DK)

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
You'll have to be a bit more specific than "Zelda stage" and "Donkey Kong stage" since there are several stages that could qualify for each. (Skyloft, Bridge of Eldin, or Temple for Zelda and Jungle Hijinxs or Kongo Jungle 64 for DK)
skyloft and kongo jungle 64

Top Bottom