• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - October 22nd

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
@Arcadenik you could try to stop insulting me, and what ego? Do you mean Sakurai's ego? Because that's a gig

Oh I used to be an awesome member? Blame Sakurai, everytime I finally manage to calm down and be civil, Sakurai manages to do something to PISS ME OFF. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
For every single good thing he does, Sakurai makes about 5 bizarre design choices that make no sense and are completely out of touch with the fanbase.
So a man unrelated to you is responsible for your own actions? See, this why we keep saying that you act like a child. If you can't have an adult discussion then you should be sitting in the kids' table in the first place. I'm not taking you seriously from here on.

This doesn't do anything for me, I can be patience, hell, Ridley can be playable, but I'll never forgive Sakurai for what the Metroid fanbase has gone through because of HIM.
Man, the Metroid fanbase has suffered more than any martyr that has died on the streets through out all history. Sakurai did something unforgivable: he didn't give us Ridley. He opted for giving us a bunch of other stuff that we persistly ignore rather than one specific thing. And that is such a heinous crime, whatever evil people like Osama and Hitler have ever done nothing is compared to Sakurai's original sin. The sin involving Ridley. Thus causing Metroid fans to undergo hell on Earth due to his actions.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
What's with this combined hateful resentment towards D-idara on this chat? It has grown to ridiculous heights for some people on here simply cannot accept he has a different stance on this and get frustrated for every time they can't convince him to give up on Ridley.

To create a fairly balanced argument and strengthen his defense abit, some of the "arguments" this chat throws at him are neither factual nor strong in any way. And it's the absolute with:

1.) If you don't like the roster, don't buy the game.

Now this is the most baseless and least thoughtful counter i have ever seen - and sadly have to see it thrown around EVERYWHERE.

The problem of disappointment with something you used to be excited about is not solved with skipping out on it; this only leaves an even worse taste in your mouth. If you're a fan of any series, smash in this case, isolating yourself from it is no solution.

If you like Smash, you want to play Smash. And if you are a big enough fan, you eventually will. But you will just as well notice the changes and additions your beloved series makes - and a series you have loved for many years straying from the path you wanted it to take can hurt alot and cause the most devoted to hold bitter grudges for their "new path". I experienced the same for Naruto and expect most of you to have met with this very fate atleast once in your lives; so don't assume that everyone is capable of agreeing with the general consensus and replace their personal view with an entirely objective one. I would go as far as calling that deindividuation.

In all seriousness, i do not support D- taking the petty defensive stance he is now - you all however are forcing him in this position. A good chunk of people on here do need to get off their high horse and start gaining empathy; because, as he said multiple times already, he cares about the roster. And doing so equals emotionally investing. Picture yourselves in a situation where your high hopes are knocked down and then judge someone who's there at the bottom with you once more.

It is also a ridiculous claim to forbid someone from uttering their opinion on a product they purchased/are going to do so soon. Improvements are never made through reluctant acquiescing - but instead by revealing the negatives.

So much for this.
I tried defending him.
I feel kinda bad for you, and I don't mean that in a patronizing way in the least...

The reason I say this is because my best friend waited for each Smash Bros Direct thinking she might see the character of her choice (Dixie Kong) and because of how much she wanted Dixie, she ended up being ultimately disappointed by the final roster. Being disappointed about the Smash Roster SUCKS after waiting for so long, and I understand where your anger comes from.

But seriously, D-idara... be patient. Nintendo has been doing DLC for their games lately, and judging by the amount of hype it's caused for Mariokart & Hyrule Warriors, I don't see how they could possibly NOT do it for Smash Bros. Your patience will be rewarded!
You're right, he has a right to an opinion, but if anyone is on a high horse, it's the person acting as if they have been personally attacked because of the choices Sakurai made with this game.

I do appreciate you taking the time to show kindness towards him.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
Not all ridley supports are like this but yeah most of them are childish -_-
I wouldn't say most Ridley fans are "childish" but frustrated and fed up at this point. (I would also argue that it seems like there are more childish Ridley detractors than there are childish Ridley supporters, but that's an entirely different can of worms.) Ridley has been highly requested to be put in Smash since the Melee days, 13 YEARS AGO. And all that time, we've had to persistently defend ourselves against plenty of annoying banter and flaming from people who can't form cohesive arguments and most likely aren't even familiar with the Metroid series.

(E.g. Ridley would be just a clone of Charizard... Really? So then by that logic, Captain Falcon and Little Mac would be clones just because they're muscular dudes that fight up close? And Zelda and Peach would be clones just because they're princesses in dresses? People who say these kinds of things clearly do not seem to be familiar with the original games, nor seem to want to think critically about the topic.)

But yeah, I'm probably a bit older than the median age of people on this board and I've been involved with and seen many, many Ridley debates. It's been festering for YEARS. It's why some people's fuses have gotten shorter which tends to cause irrational behavior. (Though I don't necessarily justify how a minority of people behave.)

And then to tease Ridley as highly probable, apathetic stage boss for over a year with no real resolution... I don't think it's "mean" or whatever, I think it's an irresponsible way of Nintendo handling their advertising and intellectual property considering Ridley's circumstances. (Nintendo simply can't not know what's going at this point if they truly "pay attention to their fans.") Remember that Nintendo and Sakurai have to work together in this. Nintendo has at least some influence on Sakurai.

I could write a doctoral dissertation on this topic, but I'll stop right here since this isn't the place for it.

But at any rate, I found this Pic of the Day kind of bizarre. I don't see what the point would be in posting a screenshot from a reveal video about a character we already know is in the game and is even blurred out. Something doesn't seem quite right... It makes me wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye. And knowing Sakurai, it wouldn't wouldn't surprise me.

Hell, you never know. Maybe it's a reveal trailer for both Duck Hunt and Ridley? (Assuming the 3DS<->Wii U connection rumor is true.) The dog is out with the hunter going after ducks but there's a flying creature that won't go down when shot, but it keeps getting closer... Turns out it's Ridley. "Ridley swoops into battle!" Then a duck joins the dog in a fight to take down the ultimate kill... It seems like a perfect way to have the two character reveals compliment each other. (To be clear, it's not what I'm expecting tomorrow... just saying it would work, and it would be awesome.)

Also, on a side note before I end this post, I don't understand what's with all of the character hate, particularly after the game has already been released in one form. I personally love Duck Hunt (...Dog) and have been getting acquainted with the other new characters. I like what Sakurai (and Namco) have done. But I will admit that even I was a bit of a Pac-Man hater after his late night reveal at E3 this year and disappointed that Dark Pit of all people was added. But, Pac-Man turned out to be one of my best newcomer characters and I prefer Dark Pit over Pit... Even though I feel like they don't "represent" much, they aren't bad characters and give variety to the game.

However, I do understand the annoyance people have with Sakurai/Nintendo not putting in (at least not yet) characters that are well known, iconic, highly requested and seem to be shoe-ins. (Ridley, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo... etc.) In that perspective, the roster does seem a bit... off. But it doesn't mean it's bad.

At any rate, tomorrow's 'direct' will be interesting indeed...

Kaiju

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4081-6018-0757
I'm 1000% positive we all know who this is in the PotD, but you all know smash reveal trailers are badass and will watch it 50 times over, just like the rest of them.(except for :4pacman:, his trailer was underwhelming to say the least...)

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
What's with this combined hateful resentment towards D-idara on this chat? It has grown to ridiculous heights for some people on here simply cannot accept he has a different stance on this and get frustrated for every time they can't convince him to give up on Ridley.

To create a fairly balanced argument and strengthen his defense abit, some of the "arguments" this chat throws at him are neither factual nor strong in any way. And it's the absolute with:

Now this is the most baseless and least thoughtful counter i have ever seen - and sadly have to see it thrown around EVERYWHERE.

The problem of disappointment with something you used to be excited about is not solved with skipping out on it; this only leaves an even worse taste in your mouth. If you're a fan of any series, smash in this case, isolating yourself from it is no solution.

If you like Smash, you want to play Smash. And if you are a big enough fan, you eventually will. But you will just as well notice the changes and additions your beloved series makes - and a series you have loved for many years straying from the path you wanted it to take can hurt alot and cause the most devoted to hold bitter grudges for their "new path". I experienced the same for Naruto and expect most of you to have met with this very fate atleast once in your lives; so don't assume that everyone is capable of agreeing with the general consensus and replace their personal view with an entirely objective one. I would go as far as calling that deindividuation.

In all seriousness, i do not support D- taking the petty defensive stance he is now - you all however are forcing him in this position. A good chunk of people on here do need to get off their high horse and start gaining empathy; because, as he said multiple times already, he cares about the roster. And doing so equals emotionally investing. Picture yourselves in a situation where your high hopes are knocked down and then judge someone who's there at the bottom with you once more.

It is also a ridiculous claim to forbid someone from uttering their opinion on a product they purchased/are going to do so soon. Improvements are never made through reluctant acquiescing - but instead by revealing the negatives.

So much for this.
i see what you are saying but no one is forcing him into that position... people arent getting at him cus he has a different point of view. theyre mad at the fact the he flat out refuses to respect anyone else's opinion.

its true that if your a fan of smash you arein titled to play ( even if you dont like it) but expressing absolute hate BEFORE even knowing what gonna be shown.... well doesnt seem very invested in the series.

d- was just taking it upon himself to stir up ****.... even if the comments werent directed at him

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Censored DHD looks like a Watchog trying to play golf.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
I pray for the day people stop getting in denial over Ridley. He was confirmed as a boss character back an April and you still think he will be playable. It just makes me sad.

And before you even say "he was being vague about it", he said in the Direct "boss characters also appear in other stages, not just this one." He was giving the hint that Ridley is a boss character on Pyrosphere (it would be similar to when he was a stage hazard in Dead or Alive: Dimensions).

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I don't see what the point would be in posting a screenshot from a reveal video about a character we already know is in the game and is even blurred out.
Who is this "we" you speak of? You mean people who either own the 3DS game and have unlocked all the characters or looked at the leaked roster picture, right? Consider that this Direct is for more people than ONLY those who looked at stuff that hasn't been officially announced by Nintendo. Anyone who thinks there will be a newcomer revealed who is not already on the 3DS roster is just setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

So much for this.
Sorry, but I'm out of mutual kindness to share. The guy has become such a venomous user for the last weeks and I'm sick of him spreading poison wherever he goes into this community, he has even gotten himself banned. He never tries to have a reasonable conversation but rather become spiteful and hateful. So I say he deserves the backlash he gets.
And just to let you know, I'm not against Ridley's inclusion. That's not even the reason why I decided to write.

Last edited:

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Not enough pressure it seems, he must feel fine, knowing that he tricked one of the biggest character fanbases for over a year and then shrugging it off like he did nothing wrong.
don't try to play the "woe is me, i'm suffering so much" **** because your favorite character didn't make it in, you ******. try making a mod or something if it bothers you so much.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Can you imagine the hype that this would have generated if it this pic was given to us before the leak?

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
I haven't watched any gameplay of DHD yet so I'll have a little hype when the trailer comes out tomorrow.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
OK, I'm going to set things straight, I don't want to have to be defended by other people, although I appreciate the comment, @Yusa @ BobEugCox BobEugCox and @ CCD23 CCD23

I have all the right to criticize a product I bought with my own, hard-earned money, so I don't see why it's so baffling that I'm angered about the roster, I mean, if I had to give this game a honest rating, I'd give it a 7.5/10 or 8/10 because of the roster and some questionable gameplay elements. Yes, the roster has some good picks, but the fact that the biggest requests were left out certainly seems strange, and most of those good picks weren't as important or relevant as the big three.

And why am I hating on the Direct at this point? Well, Sakurai does have a certain pattern, he thinks being quirky and trollish when we actually want some serious information and clarification on things is a good route to take.

All the mystery about Ridley and the constant teasing was a coincidence and we took it wrong? No chance in hell, Sakurai knew what he was doing and what he was causing the whole time, and that's just unprofessional. Yes I'm angry at the man because his decisions affect something I love.

Last edited:

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
OK, I'm going to set things straight, I don't want to have to be defended by other people, although I appreciate the comment, @Yusa @ BobEugCox BobEugCox and @ CCD23 CCD23

I have all the right to criticize a product I bought with my own, hard-earned money, so I don't see why it's so baffling that I'm angered about the roster, I mean, if I had to give this game a honest rating, I'd give it a 7.5/10 or 8/10 because of the roster and some questionable gameplay elements. Yes, the roster has some good picks, but the fact that the biggest requests were left out certainly seems strange, and most of those good picks weren't as important or relevant as the big three.

And why am I hating on the Direct at this point? Well, Sakurai does have a certain pattern, he thinks being quirky and trollish when we actually want some serious information and clarification on things is a good route to take.

All the mystery about Ridley and the constant teasing was a coincidence and we took it wrong? No chance in hell, Sakurai knew what he was doing and what he was causing the whole time, and that's just unprofessional. Yes I'm angry at the man because his decisions affect something I love.
okay? but the game was released a month before internationally in japan. if you were disappointed with everything as a whole, you could have just not bought it.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
okay? but the game was released a month before internationally in japan. if you were disappointed with everything as a whole, you could have just not bought it.
Why wouldn't I buy an 8/10 game where I can use Robin and Mario to fight other Nintendo characters? It's good, but it's JUST good, it's not great or spectacular like Brawl's content balance.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* I was worried that Sakurai still had "reveal trailers" for characters we already knew.
Indeed, i'm expecting trailers for character we haven't seen yet, this trailer worries me so much because it might take the place of whatever it could have been greater...

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
Why wouldn't I buy an 8/10 game where I can use Robin and Mario to fight other Nintendo characters? It's good, but it's JUST good, it's not great or spectacular like Brawl's content balance.
if it's good, then don't complain so harshly about it.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman

I totally agree with this.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice

the most reasonable thing you've said yet. i will tell you one thing.... i agree with you. in the case of character like ghirahim, waddle dee, prince sable , etc. they've gotten quick swift de-comfirmations. ridley on other hand i have to admit, his has been completely strung along for waaaaaay to long. so i do get and understand that.

also i apoligize for how i came off earlier. when i said i cant wait for sakurai to bury ridley, it wasnt because i hate ridley (he'd be badass) it because he has held off announcing what his role for SOOOO long and i just wanna know already

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
if it's good, then don't complain so harshly about it.
Again, it's because I care a whole lot and because I personally consider the roster to be the most important part of a crossover, I mean, I consider MvC3 to be a sucky game, but not because of all the fighting game mumjumbo, but because Megaman not being in is the equivalent of Mario missing from Smash, it's a really big flaw, but it doesn't bring the whole game down.
the most reasonable thing you've said yet. i will tell you one thing.... i agree with you. in the case of character like ghirahim, waddle dee, prince sable , etc. they've gotten quick swift de-comfirmations. ridley on other hand i have to admit, his has been completely strung along for waaaaaay to long. so i do get and understand that.

also i apoligize for how i came off earlier. when i said i cant wait for sakurai to bury ridley, it wasnt because i hate ridley (he'd be badass) it because he has held off announcing what his role for SOOOO long and i just wanna know already
:I Yeah, kinda had to go cool off for a bit, oh, and if that's the case, then I agree, actually, I don't think any of this backlash would've happened from any Ridley fan if he was either deconfirmed or confirmed earlier, or at least hinted without so much ambiguity, but this was just evil. I'm prepared to see him as a stage boss, so I'm going with low expectations, but at least I think I'll get some closure one way or another, that's another one of the reasons many Ridley fans are still so angry, because you can't start the grieving process on someone who's on life support, but not dead.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Duck Hunt Dog is the best newcomer after Wii Fit Trainer, haters gonna hate, Sakurai is a genius.

We have Charizard for a big dragon, keep dreaming :D

Last edited:

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
at first the pixilated image looked NOTHING like duck hunt to me.... but now i see it he is just doing a hand stand.... how is this a newcomer!?!?! its been revealed in the 3DS version... WHICH IS ALREADY OUT!!

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
It's not funny. So you think because you got your generic dog in the game you can mock other fanbases? Hell, at least the Nintendogs chase Frisbees and play with Mario Kart, there's more material to make a moveset from Nintendogs than from the crappy Duck Hunt.

Attachments

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
This is getting out of hand, fast. @ D-idara D-idara , as a veteran member of Smashboards, instead of battling out with other members just to prove your point, you should take the higher route by just saying your opinion in a respectful way and leaving it as that. There is absolutely NO NEED for all this salt between you and everyone else. We get it, your dissatisfied with some things and that upsets you, that's perfectly fine and you have the right to express that, but then to belittle others opinions, be disrespectful and overall come as across as someone who is arrogant, your shaming yourself by your words and causing unnecessary debates and hatred amongst others. This needs to stop and I mean right now!

And your not the only one at fault either. There have been many others who have been disrespectful and rude overall when they could have come across in a much better manner. I just hate seeing our website devolve into such disgusting and vile comments between one another. We all have a love for Smash Bros, there's no need for us to think our opinion is law and be rude and bitter towards others just because they disagree with our opinion. I guarantee all of you that some new member of Smashboards decided to read the comments in this thread and thought to him/herself that "Holy crap! This is WAY too heated for my liking. I'm not even sure if it's safe anymore to express my opinion because I feel I'm going to get crapped on by others." That is not the kind of environment we should be promoting here, PERIOD!

I ask all of you here on Smashboards to please respect the opinions of others and DO NOT start flame wars with one another. It degrades the essence of Smashboards and it makes us look all silly at the end of the day. We are a community, we should act like one instead of some dysfunctional group who spits at any comment that disagrees with our own, regardless of the content be presented. I know this is the internet and asking people to behave is simply impossible but maybe, just maybe some people will listen and to me, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. I'm not ordering any of you to listen to what I am saying, for who am I to tell you what you should do. I simply invite you all to stop being so vile among one another and instead, if you disagree with someone's opinion, respectful agree to disagree and move on.

That is all I can ask of any of you. Thank you for reading my wall of text, hopefully I made some sense and I didn't offend anyone, that was surely not my intention. ^_^

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
And you're just jumping into this potshottery roughly 2 pages from now?

What's said has been said. If anything, these flames have detracted from the discussion of the PotD and both sides have been equally deserving of their ****. This dead horse needs to be buried.

That being said, I hope D-idara realizes how his behavior warrants his reputation and I hope this teaches him to be more discerning in future confrontations on Smashboards.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It would be hilarious if in the DHD trailer, he uses his laugh taunt in phyrosphere when ridley appears.
Yeah, let's kick someone who's already down! That should cause no backlash! Why do you think it's necessary to mock Ridley fans with how much we've been through?

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Knowing Japan, the pixellation led me to expect something far more lewd. Instead it was a pest character. Oh well.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Horrible, What's the point of showing a screenshot of a future trailer? That just slowly drifts in the expectation.

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Well, can't wait to see his trailer and the rest of the Direct. But I am curious why he didn't release the trailer before the 3DS version came out. Ah well.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes, the roster has some good picks, but the fact that the biggest requests were left out certainly seems strange, and most of those good picks weren't as important or relevant as the big three.

*ahem* We did get fan-requested characters.

-People wanted Pac-Man. We got Pac-Man. Not very many people wanted him based off looking at this forum, it seems, but someone made a thread for him, at least. Most people only didn't like the idea because they were afraid he would use the Ghostly Adventures design, but when he was revealed with his Pac-Land and/or Pac-World design, people liked the addition.

-People wanted Mega Man, and he was a large request. We got Mega Man.

-Back in Brawl, people wanted Sonic. We got Sonic. Sonic returned in Smash 4.

All 3 of these characters also have had a lot of games on Nintendo's consoles, so although they're not Nintendo-exclusive, they could also be counted as being Nintendo all-stars, just from a different company. (Maybe not all-stars, but they still have big relation to Nintendo. The only character that could be considered not very Nintendo-related would be Sonic, but that consideration would only be somewhat true before Sega started willing to sort-of work with Nintendo by releasing some Nintendo-exclusive Sonic the Hedgehog games.)

----

Duck Hunt is a character that represents Nintendo's NES era, part of Nintendo's history. Although Metroid did start on the NES, Duck Hunt is one of those small and fun games without a real story, like Ice Climber, Baseball, etc. You can't even compare it to a full-story game like Metroid or Super Mario Brothers; the only real thing you can compare is the graphics. So don't hate on Duck Hunt because he "got in over Ridley", because that would be like saying he got in over every other video-game character that didn't get in. Ridley's spot on the roster wasn't taken, they just decided to not add him. Both Duck Hunt and Ridley would be on there if Ridley was added.

It may have seemed that Sakurai was teasing Ridley as a character, but what if he wasn't? What if he was actually hinting that he was a boss? Both could have been possibilities, with the latter just turning out to be the outcome. What if Sakurai actually planned for him to be playable, but they didn't have enough time, and just made him a boss since he is, of course, a boss character? That's also possible. Since Ridley helped make Samus what she is, then would it not also make sense for him to be a boss? He's still against her and acting like her main villain.

Is it really evil that Sakurai chose not to make Ridley playable? No, it isn't, because he probably wasn't aware that he was generating false hype, and if he was, he probably didn't mean to. Also, he doesn't even speak English. If most of the Ridley demands around the internet were English, the translators probably didn't care about them or even notice them, and so Sakurai would never even know about them.

~Just trying to explain stuffs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom