• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Smash Ultimate] What are the Best Configs for Your Controllers?

Tomate

Smash Rookie
For me, I find that stick sensitivity being set to high does wonders for all controllers I've tested it on, and changing the C-stick to tilts also helps but it takes some getting used to since you have to rely on pressing A+Stick to do smash-attacks.

What controllers do you use and what config do you prefer? (:

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
i use the pro controller and tilt stick, medium sensitivity for smash attacks ^^ it helps with tilts while also stopping me from accidentally doing smash attacks, which i like! and the pro controller since the gamecube controller's button layout has just never been my thing, but i'm still jealous of those notches...

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
My set up is as follows for the GC controller:

Left trigger: Jump.
Right trigger: Shield.
Z bumper: Grab.
Y button: Shield.
X button: Jump.
A button: Attack.
B button: Special.
C stick: Tilt Attacks.
D pad: Taunts.

Tap Jump: Off.
Stick Sensitivity: High.

The Left Trigger and C-Stick are for attack cancelling, and the Y button is for easier shield parrying.

It's pretty odd, but it's to get used to the new game and it's mechanics.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
On the Switch Pro Controller:

A - Jump
B - Attack
X - Jump (or Grab occasionally)
Y - Special
Tap to Jump off

Everything else is default.

ultraRising

Smash Rookie
I have only ever used the Pro Controllers for Smash 4 and Ultimate. My layout for the Switch Pro Controller is:
A=Attack
B=Special
Y=Grab
X=Jump
D-Pad=All Shield
R=Shield
L=Grab
ZR/ZL=Jump
R-Stick=Tilt

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I have shield/grab set to left/right rather than bumpers and triggers. So L and ZL are shield, R and ZR are grab. I have tap jump off and then that's basically it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pro Controller

Y - Special
X - Normal
B - Jump
A - Jump
L - Block
ZL - Block
R - Grab
ZR- Grab

Tilt to jump - off
Rumble - off
I use the stick for Smash Attacks

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I use the pro-controller currently (or the joycons when playing in handheld) with a tilt stick and jump mapped to L.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Pro Controller

Y - Special
X - Normal
B - Jump
A - Jump
L - Block
ZL - Block
R - Grab
ZR- Grab

Tilt to jump - off
Rumble - off
I use the stick for Smash Attacks
Let me guess, you played a lot of Pokken before this. My sister has almost the exact same config, except she uses X for Special and Y for normals.

I would use high stick sensitivity, but that also makes it harder to drop through platforms so I've been trying to train myself to be more mindful when I want to use tilts. Maybe I just need to try on high again.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Let me guess, you played a lot of Pokken before this. My sister has almost the exact same config, except she uses X for Special and Y for normals.
Nope. Never played Pokken. It's just what's comfortable to me.

I like having blocks on the same side as the movement stick because it makes it easier to accociate the two together for dodging, and I like throw on the side with all my other attack buttons.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Nope. Never played Pokken. It's just what's comfortable to me.

I like having blocks on the same side as the movement stick because it makes it easier to accociate the two together for dodging, and I like throw on the side with all my other attack buttons.
Weird coincidence then.

Keglu

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-8440-5021-2355
I'm still making some little changes, but the most part of my time playing I've been using this configuration:

Pro Controller

A - Attack.
B - Special.
X - Jump.
Y - Jump.
ZL - Shield.
L- Grab.
ZR - Shield.
R - Jump.
D-Pad: Taunts.
C-Stick: Tilt Attack.

Tap Jump: Off
A+B Smash: Off
Vibration: On
Sensitivity: High

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If you're playing with stick jump on, you're doing it wrong.
I play with tap jump on, and I'd like to argue that I've been doing it right since 2001. This is actually how I consistently RAR and perform rising/retreating aerials without going full claw grip or remapping L to jump. Tap jump can be helpful unless you play Yoshi or Bayo.

GC Controller:

A - Attack
B - Special
X - Jump
Y - Jump
Z - Grab
L - Shield
R - Shield
C-Stick: Tilt Attack
D-Pad: Taunts
Tap Jump: ON
A+B Smash: On
Vibration: On
Sensitivity: High

Other than adjusting to tilt stick, I'm basically using all defaults. I used to set the DPad to different stuff for mashing out of stuff but it isn't as effective in this game. Have considered putting them to something else again for different options but I don't know what to.

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
I prefer using the GC controller, and I don't change anything except for turning tap jump off.
Tangentially: As for which shield button I actually use, though, it's R (shoulder). I just don't understand how using L is comfortable for right-handers. If I use L to shield, I feel like I might throw off my character's movement sometimes, just due to having to apply pressure to an area near the control stick. I also use X to jump instead of Y, but I'm not sure if that's unusual. By the way, I'm a right-hander and I clap with my left hand ontop. Just putting that out there. I seem to be slightly abnormal.

Now, when it comes to the standard button layout (Joy Con and Pro controller in my case), I take heavy influence from the Bleach DS fighting games, in which Y, X, and A were attack buttons, and A was used in combination with a direction to grab. And for jumping, SNES Mario game influence.

Y: Normal attacks
X: Special attacks
B: Jump
A: Grab

C-stick? Don't use it.

Everything else (save for tap jump) is default, I think.

It just bugs me that I have to swap names on my character if I switch controllers. I haven't looked in the records yet, but I assume it's like it was in the past, where stats are tracked by player name. If not, my memory is off -- I haven't been fully absorbed by Smash since Melee, so I haven't been paying as much attention to the minutiae in the games since.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
GCC:

Y - Jump
X - Jump
A - Attack and normals
B - Special
A+B - Smash
C-Stick - Tilt
R - Shied
L - Shield
Z - Grab

Tap jump off
Rumble off
Stick sensitivity normal

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
GCC
Tap jump off
A+B smash off
L grab
Everything else default.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I use a switch gamecube controller.

I wanted to use tilts on the C stick, but I couldn't break past that deadzone issue where you have to bring the C stick back to neutral to perform a fresh tilt. I found myself spamming it desperately as I stood still looking like a fool, over and over and over again.

For this reason alone, I did not put tilts on the C stick. I have them with the default setup. If, however, you set stick sensitivity to Low, it will be the least likely to trigger a smash instead of a tilt.

I put jump on the left bumper, shield on the right, and grab on X and Y. B and A are default.

SkyDrag0n152

Smash Rookie
Here are my Gamecube settings
L: Jump
R: Shield
Z: Grab
A: Attack
B: Special
X: Jump
Y: Jump
C-Stick: Tilt
No tap jump, A+B smash attack, high sensitivity.
Here are my Pro Controller settings
L: Shield
R: Shield
ZL: Jump
ZR: Grab
A: Attack
B: Special
Y: Grab
X: Jump
C-Stick: TIlt
No tap jump, A+B smash attack, high sensitivity.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
Pro Controller:

A: normals
B: specials
X: grab (this was to help break my jump habit by pressing x.)
Y: grab (this is what I actually use to grab)
C-stick: tilts (I have yet to make good use out of this. I'm stuck in the past with normal inputs :p)
L & ZL: Shield
R & ZR: Jump (so much easier to shorthop aerial now)
Dpad: Taunts

Tap Jump is off
A&B smash attack is off
Rumble is off
Stick sensitivity is high

Top Bottom