• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm not going to say who I 100% expect to be DLC, because I honestly have no idea, but I do believe Vergeben (like most of us at this point) and I trust that there is a good chance we'll get a SE rep and Steve. I'm not so sure on Katalina thought (as much as I want her). But I do trust Vergeben (even if I have lost a bit of respect for him due to his recent outbursts against fans and his vulgar language) and I will say this:

Based on what Vergeben has stated, I think:
A Square Enix character has about a 50% chance of being DLC. I'd give Sora about a 30%, another Final Fantasy character about a 50%, and 20% to any other SE character (but probably not Geno).
Steve from Minecraft has about a 50% chance. I don't want him, but I think he's pretty likely from what Vergeben is saying.
Katalina from Granblue Fantasy has about a 30% chance. As I've stated over the past month or so, I really want her in the game, but I'm not sure if she's actually gonna happen.
As for the other two characters, I have no idea because Vergeben hasn't said anything else, and until he does, I won't be speculating who they might be (but I could say who I want them to be).

I'm not giving any DLC character more than 50% until either A. they start to get revealed, or B. we hear more from Vergeben on the matter. And that's all I have to say about DLC.

BrashCandicoot

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-0606-3457
Switch FC
SW-2362-2833-3327
So who is everyone expecting for DLC?

If Spirits don't disconfirm characters I think it will be.

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Geno
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Sora
5. Crash Bandicoot (Yes, I actually think he has a legit chance to get in now)

Untouch

Smash Master
Notably, when Rathalos was revealed back in August, they make a mention that he was the FIRST character to show up as both an assist and a boss. This makes me think there are more, if Skull Kid is one or not we'll have to wait and see.

Graizen

Smash Champion
The 10 most likely DLC in my opinion:

1 - Sora - Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013, and will launch in 2019.

2 - Banjo - He is the most requested character, Microsoft and Nintendo together.

3 - Rayman - His trophy in Smash 4, Rabbit Peach as a Spirit.

4 - Geno - Alot of people want him as well, Square Enix and Nintendo together.

5 - Agumon - Digimon Adventure Tri and Digimon Cyber Sleuth were announced in 2015, Digimon Survive on the Switch in 2019, Digimon vs Pokémon.

6 - Crash - Giant mascot, alot of people want him, Trilogy on the Switch.

7 - Steve - Minecraft on all Nintendo systems, giant audience, Microsoft and Nintendo together.

8 - Crono - Biggest Square Enix game on a Nintendo system, Square Enix and Nintendo together.

9 - Elma - Xenoblade CX has a Spirit, no Xenoblade CX musics, Rex as a Mii Costume.

10 - Tails - Biggest sidekick after Luigi, alot of people wants and knows about him, Shadow and Knuckles as ATs.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So Granblue is an ios game.
The PS4 game looks really nice. Kind of makes we want to buy one.
Not seeing its connection to Nintendo outside of the Dragula lost game they made in conjunction.

Oh I hope that PS4 game is ported to the switch that actually looked really fun. People are also comparing it to Final Fantasy on wikipedia. So, I guess I need to download it on my ipad. But it looks like it is not translated.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is my first post in here in a couple of months so hi. Hope u missed me. Just wanna say my thoughts on the Direct.

I wasn't super stoked for Ken or Incineroar initially, but now that I've seen them in action, they look dope as heck. Especially Incineroar. Sorry about the Grinch leak, y'all.

Also, I haven't really read the reactions to Piranha Plant, but I'm super excited about him! I was sorta just dumbfounded at first because it was such a shocking reveal, but now that it's sunk in I'm totally on board. Sorry, Waluigi fans lul. I was observing some footage of him and noticed he has a lot of moves (more obviously some of his aerials) derived from Captain Falcon. Looks like he has a lot of juggling potential, so I'm very excited about him.

And yeah. DLC. I'm hoping for some Geno and Banjo action, y'all. I don't think Spirits necessarily dis-confirms anything, but we will see! That Rex Mii Costume was a real bummer, though. I hope we can still see him in at some point.

Anyways, carry on!
That's nice and all but-

he has a lot of moves (more obviously some of his aerials) derived from Captain Falcon
-why?!

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Notably, when Rathalos was revealed back in August, they make a mention that he was the FIRST character to show up as both an assist and a boss. This makes me think there are more, if Skull Kid is one or not we'll have to wait and see.
Don't go holding your breath, i imagine boss fights dont consist of the boss standing around in one spot, wiggling their mask, and inverting controls temporarily.. Rathalos assist is reused from it's boss fight, so...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I really hate Piranha Plant. Like... he seems like a developer joke that got taken why to far. I'd rather have three more Marth clones on the roster. Not to mention the fact that even ignoring the obvious Wah and Geno, there are still plenty more Mario characters with... well, actual character that would make more sense.

Yeah, Piranha Plant is iconic... in all the wrong ways, and it seems like due to the fact they had spare time to work on him and he's not an echo, that spot could've actually gone to someone more worthy of the spot.

Sakurai:
sakurai.png

Sakurai, this is the seventh non-deserving character you've brought to Smash.

Attachments

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So Granblue is an ios game.
The PS4 game looks really nice. Kind of makes we want to buy one.
Not seeing its connection to Nintendo outside of the Dragula lost game they made in conjunction.

Oh I hope that PS4 game is ported to the switch that actually looked really fun. People are also comparing it to Final Fantasy on wikipedia. So, I guess I need to download it on my ipad. But it looks like it is not translated.
It is translated if you play it on the website on your phone like I do. Here's the website to the game if you're interested (and it's in English) https://www.dualshockers.com/granblue-fantasy-how-to-install-guide-English/

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I've said this twice already, but it bears repeating a third time: You guys seriously, seriously underestimate how hype Geno will be.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
That's nice and all but-

-why?!
Haha, I thought the same thing. His up aerial does the same thing Falcon does in that he back flips, juggling fighters upwards and his down aerial is the forceful kick down, which spikes. Maybe they aren't completely the same, but they're visually very similar.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Monster Hunter probably has a very strong chance of being DLC as well I'd imagine.

Rathalos could've have been the beginnings of something Sakurai had planned and just didn't have time to get too.

In fact, it's certainly possible that we're looking at a situation where each DLC character is legitimately just people Sakurai wanted to add in base game but simply couldn't do to all he had on his plate bringing back the veterans.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
It is translated if you play it on the website on your phone like I do. Here's the website to the game if you're interested (and it's in English) https://www.dualshockers.com/granblue-fantasy-how-to-install-guide-English/
I like the art style. But the presentation from youtube made it look like a cheep phone game.
The art though looks very nice and the music is supposed to be top notch.
Looks like Final fantasy tactics. Or Octopath Traveler.

and the PS4 game looks f-ing epic. I really loved the gameplay trailer.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I've said this twice already, but it bears repeating a third time: You guys seriously, seriously underestimate how hype Geno will be.
Other people: "lol nobody would buy Geno."

Sakurai: "He's very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests."

:shades:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6KCELYIPMg

Btw, Luigi has a tether now.

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I really hate Piranha Plant. Like... he seems like a developer joke that got taken why to far. I'd rather have three more Marth clones on the roster. Not to mention the fact that even ignoring the obvious Wah and Geno, there are still plenty more Mario characters with... well, actual character that would make more sense.

Yeah, Piranha Plant is iconic... in all the wrong ways, and it seems like due to the fact they had spare time to work on him and he's not an echo, that spot could've actually gone to someone more worthy of the spot.

Sakurai:
View attachment 175069

Sakurai, this is the seventh non-deserving character you've brought to Smash.
Can you show me your super-secret "deserving fighters" book, please? Not even Sakurai had it but I really want to see it so bad.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I could see the dlc being Geno, Steve, Eggman or Tails, Elma and I dunno for the last spot.

Obviously they wouldn’t/shouldn’t go in that order lol
I doubt it, but Tails would be cool and I would flip out over Eggman (almost as much as Banjo).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Looking at the new gameplay I now dislike the K.Rool trailer. He ****ing planks for one of his Smash attacks and has goofy *** attacks meaning he's actually characterized as a goofy *** instead of "muh reference"
He’s a big fat crocodile with a tiny crown and fights Donkey Kong.

I think they got the right mix of goofy and menacing.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I like the art style. But the presentation from youtube made it look like a cheep phone game.
The art though looks very nice and the music is supposed to be top notch.

and the PS4 game looks f-ing epic. I really loved the gameplay trailer.
I haven't seen the PS4 gameplay, but I'll check it out. And yeah the art is pretty good (kinda reminds me of a painting) but the mobile game isn't really all that great honestly

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
That's honestly the only major problem I'm having with Ultimate. I don't like how unclear they are about it on the home page either.

It's supposedly not a story mode, but there is technically a narrative, a nnamed villain, and there's apparently stuff that Sakurai still wants kept top secret apparently. Ugh.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I know a lot of people don't feel this way, and usually adamantly feel differently, but I think the idea of playable basic enemies is so cool. It's really impressive to me to take a generic enemy like piranha plant (and hopefully waddle dee :() and make them into unique characters with a charming personality and moveset.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
Why are you still on this thread if you're not buying it lol. Everyone can have their own opinion but don't you want to spend your time doing something else other than talking about a game your not buying. Also, no point in replying to this because i will simply ignore whatever you have to say because I'm just over your nonsense you post on this thread
Boohoo :'(

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Piranha Plant among other Mario henchmen are some of the most iconic imagery in gaming that even the general public knows.

He deserves to be a fighter. That's that on that. It's the question of if he should've been picked first over a lot of other fan requests from the Mario series like Toad/Captain Toad, Waluigi, Geno, Paper Mario, etc.

It's kinda the situation a lot of people found themselves in with Rosalina last time when she was revealed only heightened.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Almost forgot about this, assuming Nintendo Live in Japan this weekend (Nov 3rd and 4th) will use the final build of the game, were going to see a lot of gameplay for a variety of characters including their final smashes. This should be a good weekend guys.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I've said this twice already, but it bears repeating a third time: You guys seriously, seriously underestimate how hype Geno will be*.
*For the core fanbase and older audience.

For the wider fanbase, Geno is a literal who. He is the only character I will use that argument for because, let's be real, he is.
Other people: "lol nobody would buy Geno."

Sakurai: "He's very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests."

:shades:
I highlighted and bolded the important text. Geno is popular in a specific subcategory of older characters. Not characters in general.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
TMW you see the Japanese smash fandom are more grateful and nicer then the crappy fandom in the west
What is this gratitude crap people keep talking about?

Do people forget this is a product that Nintendo is trying to get you to spend money on?

Gratitude aint part of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom