• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
The amount of coincidences made here is astounding.

What's that saying? Two times is a coincidence, and three's a pattern?

This could also work:

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice... fiddle dee dee?

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
We don't need to waste time coming up to a counterargument to an argument which is fundamentally unsound. Him being 50 literally changes nothing. Your pre-existing biases that the older generation never uses Snapchat or uses emojis are simply the result of your own flawed stereotyping of an age-group. And "doesn't speak english"? Have you even seen the original leak you're arguing so adamantly about? It was in French.
Him being 50-or-so changes a lot, because he's not going to make the mistakes a 20 year old would. Even Vergeben protects his sources and waits for sound so he doesn't compromise any identities. In no universe is something with 50 years of experience and mistakes on the face of this planet actually going to do something as stupid as this probably fictitious version of him did?

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Ok so just woke Up. What's the news for today?
Grinch spotted at London Comic Con.
Trademarks for various franchises got renewed this year, including Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, and Mach Rider.
Serebii was here for a minute.
Conjecture literally everywhere.

So yeah, not really much of anything.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
But that's implying any other Nintendo franchise (that isnt Pokemon) is really prepared or ready to be a movie. I mean, Zelda's got a complicated *** plot half the time, Metroid's probably gonna turn into the baby part 2: child support, and Kirby-
wait if we get kirby back we get ted lewis back
Kirby movie sounds good, yup.
Plot twist: Sakurai voices King Dedede in the movie anyway.

But does his best Ted Lewis impression.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Still gonna stay undecided until the end. But if I can't be right about Steve, I can be right about Mach Rider.
win-win.
1518386893865.jpg

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Does anybody remember the discussion that was had when RH/GS/Mach Rider all got their copyright trademarks renewed in that one batch? IIRC Smash Bros was in that as well, correct? It was pre-reveal.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Just had a realization.

What if the mural is in the game...

And the *characters flash in* thing from the trailers are actually generated using the game's engine? In theory, the scenes would play in Spirits Mode if the mode plays a part in unlocking characters, especially if you can unlock them in bulk.
I can see that, like Brawl's opening cutscene.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
-I've moved characters on the mural it's not hard.
-The background isn't just different it's missing major pieces that would be obscured by characters.
-Plenty of people in this thread have used the "they're new renders" argument to try and validity this leak. If they're not new then they're meaningless.
-The importance of the first company was that said company had ties to Namco, the new company doesn't have any visible ties.
Okay I'm only responding to your first point because it's hilarious.

Did you even read the Reddit link i sent? Show me a recreated version of the leak that perfectly spaces everyone exactly like the leak does, shows new art for 20+ characters, and overlays and underlays characrers in their proper places.

Go ahead, I'm waiting

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Him being 50-or-so changes a lot, because he's not going to make the mistakes a 20 year old would. Even Vergeben protects his sources and waits for sound so he doesn't compromise any identities. In no universe is something with 50 years of experience and mistakes on the face of this planet actually going to do something as stupid as this probably fictitious version of him did?
It probably wasn't even him who leaked it.

It was a snapchat video; someone took screenshots of it, probably a young teenager or child based on the scribbles over the name.

Untouch

Smash Master
Taking time and effort isn't an argument.
The "leaker" is a professional graphics artist, he does stuff like this for a living.

Chrono.

What’s wrong with Squirtle?
To quote someone from ERA
As a graphic designer I can tell you Nintendo will have an easier time shifting Squirtle than the leaker.

The illustration of Squirtle itself will likely be on a seperate layer in Photoshop like all other characters, allowing the artists to move them about at will.

The only way the leaker would be able to do it is by cutting Squirtle and every other character out, which is REALLY not worth it if his end result is to show a blurry low res image, or he had the illustration layer assets the team at Nintendo are using, meaning he'd be legit.

And yeah, there still would be a reason to simplify the background despite how crowded it is. Maybe the lighting or tone of the sky clashed with the character or blended too well with them not allowing them to pop like the rest. The characters are the main draw, and the simpler the background the less chance there is for them to be effected by its tones.
But in reality this doesn't mean much beyond "it would be extremely hard to pull off," which isn't really a valid point by now.

Source: https://www.resetera.com/posts/14244752/

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The "leaker" is a professional graphics artist, he does stuff like this for a living.
While I agree it isn't an argument in and of itself (and have agreed the other 3,000 times this was brought up in the last 24 hours),
this implies that we actually know who the leaker is for sure.

Have people suddenly confirmed that or are people just kinda assuming it's that one dude still
It could very well be, but I mean...

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Real or fake, at this point I'm just glad that Box Theory can go die in a ditch now. Between Spawn Wave alluding to at least one other unknown character, papagenos and his source's Microsoft source confirming Banjo, Shadow being back on the table, and the random sprout item that may be related to Golden Sun, I am overjoyed about finally being able to speculate on more than just Incineroar and a Square Rep again. Like if this leak ends up being fake but we still end up getting Incineroar, the 3rd parties, and maybe even Isaac, that will be a lot more than many people including myself were willing to hope for even just a week ago which is absoultely fantastic in my book.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
While I agree it isn't an argument in and of itself (and have agreed the other 3,000 times this was brought up in the last 24 hours),
this implies that we actually know who the leaker is for sure
I think it's generally accepted that if the leaker isn't Eric, it's someone else working for either company that is also likely a professional graphics artist.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Okay I'm only responding to your first point because it's hilarious.

Did you even read the Reddit link i sent? Show me a recreated version of the leak that perfectly spaces everyone exactly like the leak does, shows new art for 20+ characters, and overlays and underlays characrers in their proper places.

Go ahead, I'm waiting
Again, I don't have the source but yesterday someone has posted a picture that did just that, only for half of the mural but still...
New artworks for the newcomers were missing, but when you have about a month to work on it and maybe a group of people instead of being alone, that's defeinitely possible and not even hard. Whoever made this leak did a lot of research, he's not that stupid.
Additionally, given the low quality of the picture, you don't necessarily have to make very good artworks, something very sketchy is enough if it looks legit once blurred.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I work IT. You don't want to know what people who should know better are capable of.

Zenos

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xenos15
I don't get it, so are we assuming this leaker, and Eric, aren't the same person after all? An impersonater?

But the leaker is still a professional artist who happened to have access to everything needed to stage all this?

That's a lot to take in honestly.

Untouch

Smash Master
I also want to bring up another point, something taking a lot of time for no payment isn't an argument when we've been spending the last 3 days here arguing about the grinch for no reason.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
printing some posters =/= professional graphics artist
That's like saying i can build kirby in minecraft, so i must be the next van gogh

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Upon even further inspection, Shadow The Hedgehog was renewed on the same date as mach rider bringing our trademark list to this now.

Golden Sun: Sept 14th, 2018
Rhythm Heaven: Sept 14 2018
Banjo-Kazooie : Sept 9th, 2018
Mach Rider: May 11th 2018
Shadow The Hedgehog: May 11th 2018
What's the source on this?

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't get it, so are we assuming this leaker, and Eric, aren't the same person after all? An impersonater?

But the leaker is still a professional artist who happened to have access to everything needed to stage all this?

A common theory is that another person at the company knew that Eric quit, then attached his name to the leak to throw off anyone. The guy has come forth saying he doesn't know anything about it, while he could be lying there's another thing we don't know and unfortunately have to assume.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician

Team real -> It's not Eric just someone else that works there.
Team fake -> It's not Eric just someone that used his name.

...at least those are the most common responses I've seen.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think it's generally accepted that if the leaker isn't Eric, it's someone else working for either company that is also likely a professional graphics artist.
And it couldn't have just been someone who worked in the building who wasn't a graphics artist?
Someone brought up a janitor before.

Of course, occams razor doesn't really like that.

Just bring it up though, I don't think anyone can say for sure who this person is, and I don't think their occupation can be used in an argument so steadfastly.
The person who supposedly made the banner would be Nintendo, and not someone who works at the shop. If it was real, anyway.
If a graphics designer in either company Eric worked for made it, that would imply it's fake anyway.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Again, I don't have the source but yesterday someone has posted a picture that did just that, only for half of the mural but still...
New artworks for the newcomers were missing, but when you have about a month to work on it and maybe a group of people instead of being alone, that's defeinitely possible and not even hard. Whoever made this leak did a lot of research, he's not that stupid.
Additionally, given the low quality of the picture, you don't necessarily have to make very good artworks, something very sketchy is enough if it looks legit once blurred.
You mean THIS ONE?

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...f_the_leaked_mural/?utm_source=reddit-android

LOL he recreated what he could and said it's almost impossible to do as well as the leak has done.
Guys, pay the hell attention, you keep arguing the same things and it's not working

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Now that I'm here I wanna bring something up real quick

I sure hope we're not saying "actually doing this poster would've been easy"
Fake or not, this is a DAMN big effort. And again I am team fake.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To quote someone from ERA

But in reality this doesn't mean much beyond "it would be extremely hard to pull off," which isn't really a valid point by now.

Source: https://www.resetera.com/posts/14244752/
If anything, this seems like he's trying to prove the leak is real, especially since Squirtle seems fine; he's not exactly on the ground, but his pose still makes sense in the air. If it's fake, the leaker also moved multiple other characters if not all of them, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom